Diabetes Support - November Chat

View Full Version : November Chat

Ruthxxx
11-01-2010, 06:57 AM
New day, new week, new month, new resolve!

This will be a hectic month for me with another trip mid-month and Christmassy events cranking up in the Village. Last month was not a success but this one will be if I control and plan well.

My Goals: actually drop some weight (I gained in October) and get back to the gym. The time change should help me with the last one. I find it really hard to leave the house for the gym at 7:15 when it's cold and dark. :( The cold I can handle but not the dark. Going later in the day just doesn't work a life gets in the way.

On we go.

want2bfit4me
11-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone..........

Have not checked in for a while. Been down in the dumps the past week or so. I'm sure it has to do with not having a job yet. I did go to an interview last Thursday. I don't want to go anywhere or talk to anyone. Alot of times I find my self sitting on the couch and staring out the window.

Time to make a change. So I joined Leslie Sansone's 21-Days Before Thanksgiving Challenge. Today is the first day and the challenge was to walk 3 miles. I just finished her 3 mile fat burning. I also plan to get out of the house at least every other day. Today I am going to the health center to get a TB skin test. Tomorrow the library and the next back to the health center to check the skin test. Need to make some better food choices and get more veggies in there. I did turn down a piece of chocolate cake last night after going to church. My blood sugars have been amazingly good. In the 90's.

Anyway thanks for listening

Leann

pattygirl63
11-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Everybody,

Ruth Thanks for the new thread for November. I didn't do well in October either. I like the thought of a new day, new week, new month. My goal this month is to lose weight (ended the month with a no gain/no loss which is amazing), to get FBS going down again and to get the BP back to my normal. I plan to do at least 2 weeks Atkinks Induction and then move on to the OWL and stick with it. We can do this.

Leeann I'm sorry you are feeling low. I hope you get the job you want soon. It is good to have a plan and I'm sure that doing the Leslie Sansone 21 Day thing will help.

I got my Atkins book out and reading it again. Going to get active on their support site and get my attitude adjusted back to the way it was when I did this before... look at what I can have to eat and throw out the attitude of thinking about what I can't have.

Good luck everyone as we start our new month.

fatmad
11-01-2010, 07:47 PM
did not have a stellar weekend. The Indian supper on Saturday was great, and while I didn't eat rice or naan bread, there would have been some carbs in the food generally and I overate a bit. On Sunday I did well until DH brought some smarties home to give out for hallowe'en, and I ate 6 of the little boxes. Thats too much period. Felt crummy as I knew I would. Trying to get back on plan today, but not terribly successful, due to, you guessed it, lack of planning. Going to go out grocery shopping in a bit to make sure.
I still think I am too lazy, but havent been motivated to exercise much.
I am in a bit of a funk. Gotta get my head in the right space, it seems this weight loss thing is as much mental as anything else.
I definitely don't want the stress of things at home currently to make its way onto my waistline. Its time to get rid of a few more pounds before Christmas.

Trish: I wonder, is there a reason you don't want to do low carb? do you dislike it? I think you can go down on the carbs, and move up the carb ladder carefully and find the right mix for you to have more carbs than induction but maybe not a "regular" number of carbs. ( my dietition for instance suggested about 150-200g carbs/day. At that point my sugars are staying over 9.0 constantly, hah. even with losing 20 pounds, I haven't been able to increase my carbs to more than 45 g/day without some real problems with my sugars. ) Its a drag but it is reality for me.
Having to stick to any WOE can be a pain, but its important generally to watch what we eat.

have a good week everyone

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
:hug:LEANN ~ will send up some prayers for you and your job-hunting as well. Be sure to specify a time that potential employers can get hold of you (ie in the AM or what days; don't want to miss a call). You have a great plan there -- to get out of the house every other day. That is so odd, I was just thinking the same thing myself today after my morning devotionals & prayers. We have a new community complex here and I want to go and take a look at the gym, the pool (a bit closer), and maybe use the facility for walking over the winter. I think I will also take in the library once a week as well; couldn't hurt -- DH & I used to go regularly and it is time to renew that good habit.

RUTH ~ hang in there; we all can make a new resolve to do better this month. We don't have a lot of functions to go to like you do. I feel for you about that; you are stronger than you think -- you fight off so many temptations.

... look at what I can have to eat and throw out the attitude of thinking about what I can't have.

TRISH ~ I think that is so important; I do better when I focus on the positive too. Really, there are so many good and healthy things we can eat; maybe make a big list and post it on your fridge as a reminder -- think I'll do the same thing. I pulled out my reference book on "Foods that Improve your Health" today too ...

MADELEINE ~ I tried not to buy things I liked to eat; we put all the goodies in bags and are donating the leftovers to goodwill tomorrow; DH is eating the rest of the chips, nachos, cheesies (which were in small bags so less cals). I purposely ate less yesterday, so I could have a couple of treats and stay on plan; and it worked! Just start again tomorrow AM: one meal, one snack, one day ...

Today, I made a nice sirloin beef stew with lots of veggies for dinner; have enuff for tomorrow lunch as well. We are using a trick of smaller bowls & plates for our meals. We switched from large plates to bread plates and bowls for our dinners now. Sometimes, we use soup bowls with rims for our dinner; and tonight, we used the cereal bowls for our stew. Every little trick to get the servings down a bit more helps, I think ...

:brr: Boy, have the temps ever dropped here; very cold, but it's supposed to be :sunny: tomorrow -- have a great week ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

want2bfit4me
11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Rosebud I would greatly appreciate any prayers you say for me. I actually went to church twice this past Sunday and it felt good. This is 3 times this month I have went. I probably have not been a regular in at least the past 10 years or so. I know god has a plan for my life and I have to wait on him.

Did day 2 of Leslie Sansone's challenge. Got a phone call from the place I interviewed with on Thursday. They wanted to know if I had went and got a TB skin test and I told them that I had. They told me that as soon as they received the results he would give all the paper work to his supervisor and they would go over everything and probably be calling with an offer soon. This is a positive step as I need a job. Maybe not the VA job I had hoped for but money coming in none the less. After lunch I will go to town to vote and go to the library. I am feeling in a better mood the past couple of days. Taking one day at a time. Fasting blood sugar was 95 this morning.

Thanks for listening
Leann

pattygirl63
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Leann I pray the job comes through for you. Glad you are feeling better and I think "one day at a time" is how we all have to do this.

Rosebud Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to take the list in the book and just focus on the healthy foods that I like.

This is Day 2 of Atkins Induction for me and my FBS was back down to 122 mg/dl, my BP was back down to my normal and I dropped another lb. So since it is obvious that I have to eat this way (as doc said "numbers don't lie"), I am praying for God to help me have a better attitude about this woe and to help me to enjoy it.

I don't really know what my problem is except that I get bored with it. So I think I have to start planning more of a variety of foods or at least a variety of ways to prepare it. I have settled into an omlete each morning for breakfast. Can change up the meat with it... sausage, ham or bacon. Veggies are pretty much the same, but could use zucchini some times in place of spinach. I have noticed that zucchini is one of those veggies along with spinach seems to lower my bs. So I think with some tweaking, I can settle into this woe. I have also been searching for diffeent low carb recipes too to make things more interesting and found an easy low carb cheesecake that I may make for Thanksgiving since it is my favorite and I'll be off Induction by then.

I think another problem I have is that DH eats pretty much what he wants and his bs has come down dramatically, but he takes a different diabetic med that makes it come down. (little confession there:dizzy:) He eats candy everyday, eats diet ice cream etc and is doing great with his bs. He has a doc appointment today. But then I try to remember that he has health problems I don't have and I hope those things will improve as his bs improves. Thank God my next drx appointment is January 2 or 3 giving me more time to get things back down hopefully below 100s.

Got to run. Y'all have a great OP day.

fatmad
11-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Got out this am for a nice walk with the dog. The frost was thick on the grass, and the fresh air felt good. Its also my birthday.
Meditated, renewed my intentions. Ate right today.
Went to the Keg for supper, but gee its easy to stick to plan there. Did enjoy 1 glass of wine with supper. Didn't have dessert, even tho its free for the birthday girl. 2 hr pc bs 5.1 so I am pretty glad.
Daily intentions to stick to woe like glue this week. Get back on track. A couple of days of extra carbs, even healthy ones, left me with big sugar cravings, so have to watch myself.
Pity party is over.
Right on ladies, you are doing it too. You inspire me everyday.

pattygirl63
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Good Morning Everybody,

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MADELEINE

Hope everyone is doing well today. This is my Bible Study Fellowship morning and as usual, I didn't seel well. I ate off a bit yesterday so the combination of that and not enough sleep making me tired mad my FBS a little high. I'm sure that will be back down tomorrow. As you can see, I changed my avatar. It is to remind me that I am low carbing and why I LIKE TO LOW CARB!!! There are advantages especially at my age... 1) it is a natural diuretic, 2) it naturally tones the body so hopefully as I lose weight the wrinkling won't be so bad and that one is a big one and 3) it makes me feel lighter as well as look smaller than the scale shows and that is just to name a few. I have finally as of this morning lost 25 lbs so that is a plus for me and my BP was still good. So overall everything is very good.

Better get ready to leave. Y'all have a great day. We can do this. I remember reading somewhere that perfection is not what we should work for but work at being 90% OP. I think that is a good idea so we don't get discouraged and quit or give up.

Ruthxxx
11-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks, Patty. I needed that since I am quite discouraged with an early (3 A.M.) wake-up and a pound up on the scale. I know the pound is water weight and my own fault but still ... it's scary to see that old 200 on the horizon.

You'd think that getting up so early would make it easier to get to the gym but it didn't happen again. Maybe next Monday when the time changes and I can drive there is semi daylight at 7:15.

I'm physically and mentally tired and a bit worried about my workload so need to make a supreme effort to get back on track and out of this funk. Today I have to go to town for a boring shop but will pop in to a bazaar at the Nursing Home on my way back. There's also a good speaker at my garden club tonight so that may perk me up.

Food? Not great yesterday since I ruined a veal stew and then over-salted the chicken I threw together fast. Today has been OK so far with Fibre 1, blackberries and yogurt for breakfast and lunch will be a salad here at home before I go to town. I don't want to be even on the same street as the Chinese buffet in my current vulnerable condition. Cabbage rolls from the freezer stash are thawing for a quick supper before my meeting.

I'm great at planning but fall down at execution.

fatmad
11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
trish, that is such a fabulous thing, 25 pounds is a great achievement. You deserve some new slacks or jeans for that! Great going. The avatar is a good idea too.
Ruth, I hear you. I don't "stay" at a weight, I just get there and something happens and I go back up 1-2 pounds and takes a while to get back down.....
I was up for 5 hours in the night working, so slept late today. Have a plan to go for a walk with the dog, and then to hot yoga. I want to be worn out to get to sleep at the normal time tonight and get back on track.
We are planning to do some campus tours with DD this weekend (the end in sight, she WILL leave home!) so have that to look forward to!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you:

... MADELEINE ...

LEANN ~ good to have a call back from a prospective employer; they must be interested if he called just to see if you got the TB test done -- prayers continue ... :hug:

Yes, we all just need to hang in there; perfection isn't necessary to see improvement -- even 90% will do the job! :D We had :rain: and winds today, but we'll take it; better than youknowwhat ... ;)

We did a bit of shopping yesterday too; and paid the utility bills while we were at it. Picked up some more books and a nice suit which is down one more size (1x) and it fit ... yeah! All those AM toning exercises are helping. Food is good this week too. :cheer2:

Hope you all have a good week ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
11-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Feeling a tad perkier this morning after a normal night of sleep. There's a lot of stress in my like right now which may be the problem - not personal problems, by the way.

A victory yesterday! I went to town without having lunch at home, walked past the Chinese buffet and had an apple and a skim milk for lunch in the car after my Walmart shop. The scale rewarded me today with a two pound loss. Now to get working on the "old" fat.

Today's food is planned and even partially prepared so I'm good to go with another hectic day. Grey's will be the reward at the end.

Here we go with a Thoughtful Thursday.

pattygirl63
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

Ruth Congratulations on your victory yesterday and having things planned for today. Glad the scales rewarded you this morning too. I find that not enough sleep has a big affect on my FBS. We do have to avoid stress and not enough sleep does stress us more than we realize.

Rosebud Congratulations on the new suit at the new low size. You are doing great.

I still haven't got back on track so I went to DiabeticLiving,com and did some reading and printed some info on weight loss and counting carbs. I know they do it differently than Atkins, but decided that maybe I need to make a change. The main thing is to get on to something that I can live with forever. I also read messages on Number of carbs here on the diabetic thread. I am going to try eating 30 carbs at each meal and maybe 1 or 2 snacks at 15 carbs each. I also like the idea of dividing the plate into the 1/4 protein, 1/4 starchy veggies and 1/2 fruits and veggies. My doctor had suggested that to me originally and I think I can do that. Also may think about smaller 7" plate. Hopefully all these things will work for me. I have part of my plan for today. I had 1/2 grapefruit, peanut butter toast made with 2 slices of whole wheat 35 calorie bread and coffee w/ stevia. I plan to make Rosebud's Moms meatloaf for our main meal today. Not sure exactly what I'll have after there but will be using the formula above.

Thanks everyone for being there for me and being patient with me while I learn what works for me and what I can live with. That is what makes this thread such a great place of support. We are here for each other.

We are having a :rain: day and it's colder than usual for us 14 degrees lower than normal. Can't fuss about the :rain: as we have been below normal on that.

Hope everybody has a great day!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-04-2010, 10:29 PM
TRISH ~ I like to have green beans & coleslaw with that meatloaf (instead of the traditional peas); that should fit into your plan, I think. Your breakfast sounds good to me too.

I had a mix of large-flake oatmeal with natural cream of wheat for breakfast the last 2 days and didn't even feel hungry for a morning snack: interesting, eh? I find when I have eggs, that I am hungry 2 hours later -- I am going to have this a bit more often and see what happens.

RUTH ~ that was a nice 2 lb reward for that light lunch. :carrot:

We had pasta with beans in a tomato sauce made with green peppers, onions, and mushrooms; trying for a meatless meal here. DH gobbled it down; so that means he must have liked it. I could pasta and rice with veggies all the time, but might have to sneak it in only once a week for DH -- maybe alternate each week. ;)

Time for my evening snack; an apple sounds good too -- I try to have at least one each day. Think I'll have some tea too. Have a fab Friday tomorrow, ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
11-05-2010, 05:46 AM
thanks all for the birthday wishes. I am doing ok right now. Went to our potluck meeting, and my administrator had made a low carb pumpkin cheesecake to fete me, so that was really nice, I was able to stick to plan easily that way. Oddly, I had also made mini cheesecakes, so I will have some dessert type snacks for a few days.
Leann, I am hoping for you that this is it, and will at least be a stop gap until the just right thing comes along. Rosebud, you are just amazing.
Trish, keep looking for the right plan for you. I hope you can get in the groove. It took a while for me with the rest of the family eating a bit differently, and it took a while for me to "train" them how I eat etc.
bothered with insomnia tonight, but heading back to bed now.

Ruthxxx
11-05-2010, 06:53 AM
:wave: Still bouncing up and down on the scale. I know salt is the problem and keep forgetting that cheese is salty. Duh! (I've been eating a lot of pesto lately and am sure that's part of the problem.)
Life has been rough lately but I am making progress - I can see the surface of my desk this morning!
Time to plan the day's food.

pattygirl63
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Good Morning Everybody,

Mad How nice of your administrator to make the low carb cheese cake for you. You are blessed.

Rosbud I love green beans and coleslaw. Do you have a good recipe for coleslaw? My grandmother did, but by the time I was old enough to ask how she made it, her mind was not good and she could not remember how she made it. I've not found a good one. Maybe I should google it. lol

Ruth I have the same problem with salty foods at times. Hope it gets straightened out for you soon. Just remember that a gain from salt is not a "real" gain. I try to remember to drink more water when I realize I have eaten more salt than usual.

I think the new plan of the 30g carbs per meal and 15g carbs per snack is going to work out really good for me. I can adjust portions of things I like to fit into the plan and I don't think I will feel deprived. The FBS was down 24 pts from what it was yesterday. I am allowing myself 120g a day but ate only 103 yesterday. This will work when eating out as well. Today we will go to Costco in Charlotte and we usually eat at Sonny's BBQ. I can have whatever meat I decide I want (don't usual use the BBQ) and I'll have green beans and maybe a baked sweet potato. I always have water with lemon when I eat out. I've decided that since my bs rises no matter what I eat for breakfast and since breakfast seems to be a must that I will be eating a variety of cereals each day and just make sure my carbs at breakfast meet my 30g carbs rule. I had bran flakes with lowcarb yogurt and half a little 100 cal pkg of Craisins. I'm drinking my coffee with Stevia only. I've given up the cream. May eventually give up the Stevia, but as long as it isn't a problem with bs or weight loss it isn't a problem. The scales were up yesterday, but back down to 211 this morning. That feels so good to finally be losing. I am looking forward to getting under 210 and hope that by the time I go back to the doctor in January that I might even be under 200. So I really believe that I have the plan that I can live with.

Y'all have a great Friday and weekend!!!

Lindyloo
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Good morning ladies:)

I have been MIA for awhile. Just haven't been focusing and my BG has been up and down and back and forth. Trying to get back on plan.

I ordered Dr. Bernstiens Diet book and it should arrive today. Will have a read and hopefully be able to follow this one.

Happy Birthday Madeline - hope you had a good one and congrats to all the losers.

Will be going out for dinner tomorrow for DH & my 47th anniversary. Prime rib probably.

It's still very warm here (suppose to go up to 20 cel. today) so I will be going for a long walk later and maybe take one of our two dogs (the one that needs to lose weight) with me.

Have a great day.

fatmad
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM
wow Lindyloo, 47 years, we celebrated 25 last Feb, but going that long is wonderful. I keep telling DH he has to stay healthy, cause I don't want anyone else, and no one else would put up with me either, so he has to stick around!
Did plenty of walking this am, doing a campus tour with DD. Made a lunch to take, so I didn't have to eat cafeteria food.
now for a nap, after last night's insomnia

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
:congrat: LINDYLOU ~ ya, 47 years is a long time; good for you guys ... You are fortunate to have such warm temps in November indeed; and, that prime rib sounds really nice too!

THANKS, MADELEINE ~ that is so nice of you to say ... I'm ever tweakin' and lookin' for anything that works for me. Heck, I even do chair sit-ups while waiting for stuff to come up on my screen ... :lol:

RUTH ~ hope your work slows down for you soon; but tax season is just around the corner. Oh, I shouldn't mention that, I guess ... :D

TRISH ~ be glad to share our family coleslaw recipe; plus my new version that I alternate with ...

ZIPPY CABBAGE COLESLAW

shredded green (and/or red) cabbage
1 x shredded carrot (matchsticks will do)
1 x minced onion (yes, you read right)
miracle whip salad dressing, to coat
bit of salt & black pepper to taste

Just mix together and serve. We had a large family, so we used a small head of cabbage, a couple of carrots, one large or two smaller onions, about 1/2 to 3/4 cups salad dressing, with about 1 tsp each salt & pepper. Of course, now I make about half or quarter that. My DAD used to say, "Pass the Salad Dressing Coleslaw, please" ... ;)

MODERN COLESLAW (:lol:)

1-2 cups mixed coleslaw (red, green, carrots; and/or broccoli)
either lite Ranch dressing or kraft Miracle Whip dressing
thinly sliced or minced onion, to taste
salt & pepper, to taste

Yes, I use the "bagged" stuff a lot now. I even buy a bag of those matchstick carrots & add a few of them too. Just toss with a fork & eat. DH doesn't like salad, so I just make enuff for myself.

Have a great weekend, ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
will share my favourite slaw right now.
www.canadianliving.com/food/red_cabbage_slaw_with_blue_cheese_and_walnuts.php

this is a great recipe and can also used toasted pecans (thats what I do) and is great if you like blue cheese. I use white balsamic vinegar in mine, its a couple of extra carbs but the flavour is fab.

fatmad
11-05-2010, 10:00 PM
will share my favourite slaw right now.
www.canadianliving.com/food/red_cabbage_slaw_with_blue_cheese_and_walnuts.php

this is a great recipe and can also used toasted pecans (thats what I do) and is great if you like blue cheese. I use white balsamic vinegar in mine, its a couple of extra carbs but the flavour is fab.

Ruthxxx
11-06-2010, 08:10 AM
My internal thermostat is out of whack. I am wearing a flannel nightie, a plush robe and a wool shawl thingy and am still cold although the thermostat is set to 21C. It's not like I've dropped a lot of weight since last year either.

BGL was fine this morning and weight is still stuck.

I have a dinner party tonight with my friend Heather and her two boys who are 9 and 11. About all they will eat is pasta with butter and parmesan but I refuse to serve that. It'll be pasta carbonara and salad and I'll have a very small serving of pasta myself. The rest of today's food will be very light. I've just had raspberries and yogurt with some ground flax and am considering veggie soup for lunch.

Now to fiddle with the recipe so I can reduce my guilt load from the carbonara! Evaporated skim instead of cream? "Egg beaters instead of egg yolks? ICBINB instead of butter?

Phooey! I may do pasta with just butter and cheese for the kids and do something special for Heather and me. I can't stand picky eaters but want it to be a nice "family" dinner. (Heather and her DH split last spring. He had the kids for the summer out in Newfoundland and she's finding it difficult adjusting to being a single Mom.)

fatmad
11-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Ruth, you are so kind to help your friend out in time of need. Yes, feed the kids what they will eat so you two can enjoy a visit and some "real" food. You know you loved your pasta in Italy, if you are going to eat it, make it so you can really enjoy it and then have a small serving that will be appropriate for your woe. better a small serving of something marvelous, than any part of something with fake foods (really egg beaters, icbinb and skim milk? no way)
I have a widowed friend and make her a social priority too, single people need a little something to look forward to on a regular basis. It also helps that I simply love her and enjoy spending time with her. Sounds like you are a good friend to Heather, hope you have a lovely visit.

pattygirl63
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Madeleine & Rosebud Thanks for the coleslaw recipes.

Ruth Are you taking a medicine that could be making you feel cold? I love the weather here in SC, but I don't think I've had a year I wasn't cold during cold season since we moved here.

I am really enjoying the variety I am getting in my new woe. I took leftover beef roast that I had frozen and made it into a beef stew for our main meal. Breakfast was Eggo waffles with 1/8 c Sugar free syrup... it was around 30 carbs and then this evening I had a veggie pizza made on flat bread that was 30 carbs. This doesn't feel like a diet at all. Makes me feel more like I am just eating normal. I can live with this.

Y'all have a great evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
RUTH ~ you aren't the only one feeling the cold these days -- I always find November hard becuz of the sudden drop in temps; and it has really dropped fast this year -- makes me feel so chilled. :brr: DH mentioned tonight that he felt cold too, so I upped the furnace again.

Even when it says it's 70 F we still feel cold, but there have been these persistent winds every day for the last week, so that could be the real cause ... I find the winds make it feel 10 degrees colder than it is!

Wrap up warm -- I have a nice fleece blankie (throw) on my couch and an extra heater in each room too! :D

Ruthxxx
11-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Good morning. I didn't test the blood this morning because I know it's high after pasta last night. I made "real" carbonara and the boys adored it! It was worth the carbs and I did load up on green salad too.

I figured out that the chilliness is probably from low iron and will go back to taking my supplement. Maybe some liver once a week? I'm also slipping into a silk t-shirt before I get dressed in the morning. Seems to help.

This morning, after Church, I will be laying a wreath at the cenotaph here in town but am going to make my excuses about the "lunch" at the Legion and come home to my bowl of lentil soup! The afternoon is supposed to be all mine but you never know around here. I may hide my car in the barn to avoid drop-ins. ;) I'm hoping to finish getting the back deck ready for winter and maybe work in some more quilting.

pattygirl63
11-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Ruth I hope the iron supplement helps you stay warmer.

It is a very cold morning but the sun is shining so will be a beautiful day. Will be headed out to church and then nothing else planned till class tonight. Everything is about the same here.

Have a wonderful and blessed Sunday.

fatmad
11-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Ruth, I am glad if the iron is the solution, its easy to become a bit anemic especially when eating for weight loss, hard to get every nutrient in as well as low cals. If not, consider seeing your doctor about your thyroid. My dad suddenly lost thyroid function a couple of years ago, after never having had problems before. Happens sometimes as we got older, and the solution is so simple if its the problem! Might explain the difficulty losing weight too.
happy fall back day everyone, hope you all got some extra sleep!

Ruthxxx
11-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Good morning. I am still chilled to the bone from spending an hour in the cold at the cenotaph yesterday.

I have ten days before I leave to visit my DD in Nanaimo, BC and am hoping to feel more in control by then. Carbs are still a problem and there has been a bit too much wine around lately so weight is stuck. I need to focus!

pattygirl63
11-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Ruth I hope you feel better soon. I know the struggle of getting focused. I am trying so hard to get myself focused on doing what I can live with. Strange how I reasons change as we get older. I used to just want to be thin. Now I've decided that being healthy thin is more important. Also I want to get to the place to where I don't have to think about doing this all the time. I would like to learn how to eat healthy and do it to a point to where it is as natural to me as breathing.

Today was WI day. I didn't lose or gain this week which is good. I've been reading the calorie counting thread on 3fc and will center on healthy calorie counting. I've only lost 25 lbs since Jan 1st. But don't get me wrong as I'm thankful for that. I just thought that if I had just settled with calorie counting back then that the loss just might have been a little better.

I made 15 bean soup to eat off of this week. I will probably freeze some of it since DH won't eat it. Nothing tastes good to him lately and he feels full all the time even when he is hungry, his stomach feels gasy. Seems so strange that from about 7pm on he has to run to the bathroom all evening. So doc is wants him to go to the specialist that Tony went to last year when he had a colonoscopy. He went to him back when he had the opposite problem of constipation. I just hope they can find the problem and treat it.

Have a nice evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
:wave: We had 3 :sunny: days in a row; that has to be a fall record, but the last 2 were :sunny: and warm -- temps in the 60's no less ... This is supposed to last until Wednesday at least ... :carrot:

Ate well this weekend; had roast chicken with loads of veggies ... yum! Went to the docs today; he's checking my iron too. Then we picked up some groceries and even a few more early Christmas gifts -- I love sales!

Have a great week, ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
11-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Did a quick pop into the clinic yesterday - I volunteer there so can do that - and got a quick blood check. Iron is a tad low!!!! so I am back on my supplement. I also went into the feed store and bought some warm (-30) work socks to wear when I'm working outside.

Weight is still up and BGL was a shocking 8.1 this morning after an attack of the Cookie Monster last night. :shrug:

Keeping on keeping on.

pattygirl63
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, yesterday was a very carby day with no real veggies. It was a good example of one of those days when you are too busy to plan anything and grab anything because you are too tired to cook. Bad news BGL was up a bit although the weight went down another lb. Today is another day and I'm back on track.

Interesting thing is that yesterday I got a newsletter from Real Age that said that one of the things that blocks our success with weight loss is "guilt". Said that so many of us have the attitude of all or nothing when we diet. Said that when we have a slip that we have a tendency to give up and quit. One of the RNs at church had told me one day when I was upset about a binge that I had not experienced in years told me that we are allowed now. I also read on the calorie counting thread that some of the women said that they had times that they did go over on the calories sometime, but not ever more than 400 and that it was not often. This confirms what the article said. It said that those who successfully lose weight do not let a slip side track them... they actually ignore it and just go on with their weight loss plan. I know I have to fight the give up attitude. I have the tendency to think "well, I'll start over tomorrow". I didn't do that yesterday. Instead I worked at staying with my original plan throughout the evening and stayed within my calories allotted for the day. So that the only "off" time was at the main meal. I also realized that it would have been different if I had just put a salad and a good veggie with it instead of grabbing a handful of DH fries. Since I didn't take the time to do that it was 95% carby stuff instead of more balanced. Lesson learned.

Ruth Glad you were able to have the iron checked and get you some warm socks.

Rosebud and others reading:wave:

Have a good day.

Lindyloo
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Good morning:)

Well, I think I have found the solution to my dropping BG and exercise. I have been experimenting and have finally come up with 30 grams of carbs per meal and 2 snacks with 15 grams of carbs.

Not sure if I saw that on this board or another one, but it seems to work for me. I don't know about the weight loss though - will keep checking on that. One thing at a time is guess.

Ruth, I couldn't live without my thick socks in the winter.

Rosebud, WTG on the Christmas gifts. I mainly just buy gift certificates since all the kids and grandkids are all older - this works for them as well.

Pattygirl - WTG on staying with plan:carrot:

Hello to all the rest.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
TRISH ~ I so agree with the thoughts in that article you were reading; I always tell people here -- even if you goof up, just keep going for the next meal or snack or whatever ... so many times, I have been able to SAVE THE DAY by making a little modification!

HI LINDYLOO ~ I picked up some small pampering gifts for a few friends/relatives the other day; I think we all deserve and need that! I don't wait anymore; as soon as I see something nice, I grab it -- or it won't be there the next time I'm there! :lol:

RUTH ~ I got a few packs (of 4) of the most soft and stretchy socks last month. They are fluffy and pretty too: in pink, blue, and purple. I tried some this week and they are so warm ... :D Hey, where'd you get those cookies? :nono:

Had a good day today; some more :sunny: again! I think that is four in a row now. Jack Frost came last night, but that's all; and it's supposed to stay this way for most of the week ... yeah! Just did the usual Wednesday light housechores today. Had a chicken burger & a salad for dinner tonight ... simple & healthy!

Have a good week, ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
11-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone. Watercolour, are you usually just a lurker? Welcome, and join in if you like, don't be shy with us!
Am feeling a bit off. I have some soreness in my mouth, very tender, like an infection starting for some reason.
Got my own car back yesterday, it did survive the accident with a lot of repairs, so I am ready for winter. After the body shop dealt with it my mechanic did the rest as well as putting on the snow tires and other tuning up stuff he does to keep me safe for the winter. Just a couple more things to straighten out, and it will all be behind me, tho the court date hasn't been set yet.
Trish, I have only managed to lose 18 pounds in about a year. My anniversary date is coming up, this is the time of year when I started noticing symptoms last year, with thirst just making me crazy. The advantage of slower weight loss is that it usually goes with more permanent changes to diet and lifestyle, instead of "diets". So we are less likely to regain. Celebrate THAT!
happy hump day everyone.

Ruthxxx
11-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Good morning. Good BGL this morning but weight is up another pound. :shrug: Yesterday was a "pure" day too. Never mind - keeping on!

Worked outside all morning yesterday doing Village planters and enjoying my warm socks. Next on the list? Some lined jeans because my legs were freezing. This morning Terri and I go to the swamp to get some winterberry. She's a newly diagnosed Type II and wants to do a lot of brain-picking when we are out. She does not have a weight problem at 102 pounds but I like her anyhow! ;)

On with the day. If I move fast enough, that extra pound will fall off.

pattygirl63
11-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Just a quick flyby to say:wave:Hello. This is my busy day. BSF and then have a seminar this afternoon. I was going to have to rush home for DH to go see digestive specialist, but their office called and said the doc will be out of the office today so postponed until tomorrow morning. Sure thankful for that. All is going good and I do indy's later. Y'all, have a great day and stay warm. A lot of snow in places so wondering if some of you in Canada got it too. It is pretty cold here this morning but will warm up later today for us. Later...

Ruthxxx
11-11-2010, 07:20 AM
No snow here, Patty, but we'll get some. Here in south eastern Ontario, we get lake effect snow from Lake Ontario same as Upper New York State. I still have not made an appointment to get my snow tires on but soon!

Tried a day of Atkins Induction yesterday (19 carbs) and was pleased to see the BGL stayed stable all day. It's OK this morning too at 4.1 so I'll try another day. That pesky pound dropped off but I'm sure that's just water weight, not the effect of a single day on the diet. I don't know how long I'll try Atkins - I seem to not like meat as much as I did at one time.

Another day ahead with a trip to town thrown in. I may end up at Swiss Chalet for lunch - chicken and salad would work except I'm not sure what they rub on the chicken. Oh well ... baby steps.

fatmad
11-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Ruth, maybe lower carb, but not atkins induction is the way to go for you. Maybe a few days at induction levels but work up the carb ladder to 30-40 g carbs/day. will likely keep glucose stable and allow weight loss. Overall, its the higher fat that is the key here, you should not be taking a lot more protein in, and if you can digest it, vegetable protein is quite doable, like beans, peas, soy etc. I find I can't lose weight with the higher carbs and veg proteins, but they don't affect my sugars much. Others can have far more carbs on atkins than me and lose weight quite effectively, so don't despair and think you need to be on induction for ages.
I am still a pound over ticker, but moving down.
If you go to swiss chalet, just stay away from the chalet sauce.

pattygirl63
11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Good morning everyone,

Didn't get back here yesterday. Just too busy with 2 meetings, but I'm glad I went to the seminary. I didn't make any of them last year because I never felt like it. We are supposed to make one a year so I'm told so now I'm caught up.

Ruth I understand about eating so much meat. I can't do that any more. I'm eating more Glycemic Load and I'm really enjoying it. I found a book I bought in June when I first learned I was diabetic, but didn't try it because I went on Atkins. Since I've been trying to add more fiber into my woe, I decided to read it. It is called The GL Diet for Dummies. It does stress them importance of eating lower carb, but not as low as Atkins. Interesting thing I never noticed is that it shows the plate idea that my doctor told me I could do. It divides the plate 3 ways 1/4 protein 1/4 starchy veggie (preferably lower carb GL type) and 1/2 veggies but the book goes into more detail about how to do all this. I think Atkins is good for getting things in check, but we can eat a little more carbs.

DH had his appt with the Digestive Disease doc and he thinks Tony could have an infection so is prescribing an antibiotic. Have to get that today. Also wants lab test to be sure. Went by Walmart to put prescription in and I picked up some fruit and some brown rice and couscous. I've never eaten couscous but DD loves it. I got the rice to go with my 15 bean soup.

Mad I've learned that I cannot eat loads of carbs either, but I do need a little more for energy. I don't like lowfat diets that restrict fats so much either. I think there has to be a balance. I lost weight on a very lowfat diet once and my hair was constantly losing hair because it was so dry. While I think we need a balance, I also think that balance is different for each person. You obviously have learned yours and I look forward to learning mine.

My FBS was finally back down where the doctor wants it to be. So now I just need to get it down where I want it to be. My weight is still down and I'm waiting to get under 210. Hopefully it will happen by my next WI day. I decided my weight loss isn't all that bad. It has been slow yes, but it has come down and that is good. I think I'll lose more before the end of the year. However as of now I've lost 26 lbs so I suddenly realized that even if I don't lose any more weight before the end of the year, I will have lost an average of 1 lb a week which is good. So I'm satisfied with that.

Lindyloo and Rosebud and others reading :wave:

Ruthxxx
11-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Wow, an average of a pound a week is great! Good for you!

I'm down a smidge this morning and BGL is good. I managed OK yesterday but am going to add some good carbs today since I'm finding Atkins boring. Strange how eating better has become a way of life for me. I used to be content just with meat but no longer.

Book club meets tonight and there'll be wine and munchies. I am designated driver so will take along diet gingerale and will NOT touch even one chip because I know one leads to many, many more.

Ruthxxx
11-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Survived Book Club on just diet gingerale - :cheer: me! - but did nibble on a gorgeous cheese platter that was right in front of me on the coffee table. I must remember not to sit there next time!

This weekend presents more "challenges" - I serve at a Church supper today and really hope we don't run out of food. Last one, there was no meat left and baked beans and sugary cole slaw is not a good supper. If that happens tonight, I'll wait and have dinner here at home. Maybe ww pasta with mushroom and tomato sauce and a salad.

On with it. Today I must get outdoors to help shake the darned November gloomies.

pattygirl63
11-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Ruth:cheer:Yea for your success last night. Cheese should not be a problem for you. Good sub for the other things.

Just a quick one this morning. Been busy the past 2 days so didn't make it here yesterday. Ate out 2 days in a row and the scale showed it this morning. Up 3 lbs.

DH picked up a lot of little pamphlets as the GI doctors office. I read the one on fiber and all that it does. I am trying to do the Glycemic Load way of eating and yesterday morning my FBS was 113 mg/dl but today was 139. I am sure the higher reading is due to the fact that we ate at Olive Garden and while I tried not to overdo it, I did. All the carbs there are high glycemic and was only my 2nd day on GL. I tried to off set it with good choices when I got home, but I guess it wasn't enough. I hate eating out these days as you don't know what you are getting. I've decided to keep doing the GL and count calories along with it. I've been measuring food when eating home, but I think that I need to count the calories as well in order to be successful.
The book I have did say do 80/20 ratio of being OP 80% of the time. And only eat off 20%.

Y'all have a really great weekend.

fatmad
11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Survived Book Club on just diet gingerale - :cheer: me! - but did nibble on a gorgeous cheese platter that was right in front of me on the coffee table. I must remember not to sit there next time!

This weekend presents more "challenges" - I serve at a Church supper today and really hope we don't run out of food. Last one, there was no meat left and baked beans and sugary cole slaw is not a good supper. If that happens tonight, I'll wait and have dinner here at home. Maybe ww pasta with mushroom and tomato sauce and a salad.

On with it. Today I must get outdoors to help shake the darned November gloomies.

I find I need to eat before these things or I will overdo it. Getting too hungry is a bg trigger for me, I just can't get thru. Maybe packing some food will help, stuff to have if you need it. I often take hard cooked eggs, an atkins shake or some cheese cubes.
Had a nice day today, a delivery in the morning, and got to come home for lunch and a nap before doing visits with the new babies. and there was still sun. DH is buying some lamb for supper tonight.
In order to inspire me to eat more veggies we are getting a CSA food box every two weeks. This weeks box included salad turnips, and I made a great salad with one of those, a nice apple, and grated carrot with some almond slivers. We also have celeriac, so if anyone has some advice on that I will appreciate it.
I will roast the other turnips with some squash and potatoes (DH and DD get the taters) one night when we do a little pot roast.
Definitely stretching my culinary boundaries!

knorris
11-13-2010, 09:04 PM
At Olive Garden you can request the gluten free menu and find carb friendlier foods!
I would like to introduce myself. I was diagnosed as T2 about 3 1/2 yrs ago and have been eating low carb since. I agree with the idea it gets real boring and I have read a bunch of studies that shows very low carb is a problem for other organs. I guess ther are other organs than the pancreas! Lol. I am trying 100 carbs a day which is definitely not dr beirsteins way! I am looking forward to talking to you all and learning lots and hopefully to contribute a little!
Karen

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-13-2010, 10:50 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ was busy this week; helping out a friend. Went shopping; picked up some veggies & turkey pieces. DH got stranded on Thursday -- stressed me out; made some not so good choices but saved the day by keepng the cals below my daily cap. Then got right back on it the next morning ... yeah!

We had :sunny: and nice temps for over a week, but the clouds rolled in today with some cold temps. We had a very light sprinkling of ***** late this evening, but it has stopped now.

You are doing well ladies, keep it up ... Rosebud :flow2:

:welcome: KAREN ~ we all do different things here on this thread; there are some similarities, with some variations too. It is trial & error for us all, I think.

fatmad
11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Karen, I am interested in the studies you mention, I have seen lots of opinion and little science behind the criticisms of atkins. I do Atkins because I can control my sugars so well right now. Don't know if I will do it for life, but what I like about it is I can do it for life. That doesn't mean that I will never have certain foods, but I wouldn't necessarily include them in my everyday diet.
Today I am having a few more carbs, having roast veggies with supper, so that is turnips, parsnips, squash and carrots with my lamb chops, as well as a nice little salad.
Have been doing very well sticking to plan lately, and it is showing up.
I am finally true to ticker again. I got to yoga today, so got my exercise quota in this week too. I need to increase that still, but am doing better.
Getting ready for Monday now. have a good evening everyone

pattygirl63
11-14-2010, 07:29 PM
:welcome3:Karen glad to have you here. We all learn from each other. I've read a lot about low carb and do like doing it, but get tired of the same food all the time. I also like having more fiber in my woe. I really think it is great if you can do it full time. I didn't know about the low carb menu at Olive Garden. DH daughter had given us a gift card for there for Christmas last year or we wouldn't have gone this time.

We had a beaver chop down part of my prettiest tree in the backyard. Neighbors came and cut it up for DH since he has difficulty breathing right now. He put wire around what is left of it and around our other trees plus around their trees to try to keep the beavers from getting to any of the others. DH helped as much as he could and I got out and helped too so I did get some exercise today. My backyard has such an incline that walking it would be a real workout by itself. Still haven't gotten an exercise routine going yet. I have no excuse since I have lots of dvds to chose from. However, most of my "moving" is going to be getting my house clean and organized before the kids come for Christmas.

I've been sticking to plan and keeping calories under 1500 cals and got rid of that extra 3 lbs from going out to eat. So I am still at my 26 lb loss. I notice that the eating is slowing down with the fiber I'm getting and I just need to work at drinking my water. Water is hard to get in when the weather is colder. So it becomes a challenge this time of year. I can't believe it has gotten cold so fast this year. Someone said the other day that we didn't get the slower transition to the cold like we usually do. Haven't been able to spend time on my back porch like I usually do. We just sort of went straight from hot to cold.

I'm rambling so guess I better go. Y'all have a good Sunday evening.

Ruthxxx
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Good Monday morning! I'm still plugging along at the same weight but a decent BGL.

I had a busy day planned but my roadrunning is now postponed as my car is getting a brake job. I mentioned a funny noise when I took it in for snows this morning and ... I'm now revamping my busy day and am going to include supper prep as I have a 4:30 meeting. I'll munch an apple and some cheese before that as there are always cookies at these darned meetings and it doesn't do to be hungry when there are cookies around!

I am going to Nanaimo, BC on Thursday to visit my daughter and need to have a serious talk with her about what she serves me. Perogies with bacon are her favourite meal. :yikes: She's a nurse but really doesn't understand diabetes.

fatmad
11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I am going to Nanaimo, BC on Thursday to visit my daughter and need to have a serious talk with her about what she serves me. Perogies with bacon are her favourite meal. :yikes: She's a nurse but really doesn't understand diabetes.

I understand, it just tastes yummy unfortunately. I think when people complain about finding atkins/low carb boring, they are really referring to a carb addiction, (or in my case, sugar addiction). But there are no diets for diabetes or weight loss that include eating cake and pie all day, so I'm stuck. But I truly find there is good variety.
My administrator and I were discussing it today. When we looked at how we ate "before" it wasn't very interesting or inspiring in general, just lots of carbs and sugar stuff. If we took out the sweets, there isn't much variety.
Pasta once a week, cooked in only a couple of ways.
CHicken twice, again used only a couple of different cooking methods
meatloaf night, the usual veggies.
What I miss is being able to eat poorly. I guess I wasn't really able to do that anyhow, look where it got me!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
RUTH ~ I hope you have a lovely trip and visit with your DD, but maybe you can suggest something else for dinner for sure. Gee, there should be some interesting restaurants in that city; maybe a formal dining one would be a good bet. I don't know how big Nanaimo is as I have never been there though ... ;)

You know, I was never one to eat cakes, pies, and goodies all the time; just occasionally, but even that was too much for me I guess. Now we only have desserts rarely, but when we do, I choose something much healthier like baked fruit or pumpkin custard. I think over all, I am eating 10 x healthier now; just wish the scales would reflect all my hard work, but it is better to lose slowly and keep it off too.

I was just explaining to someone else that I have to keep my meals & snacks balanced over the day, or my BSL's drop down too low and I start to feel sickly (weak, dizzy, light-headed, and shakey). I must eat regular and be sure to eat enuff every day, so I just have to be patient ...

Spent my day dusting and washing floors and a bit of laundry; hey, I'll count that as some extra exercise for the day. :lol: Had a mixed bag of weather today: a little sun, some clouds, a little ****, but that has stopped now. We are actually blessed to still have green grass in the middle of November ...

pattygirl63
11-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I ended up eating less carbs today. Didn't really plan it, just happened.

Mad I'm one who says I get bored with low carbing, I think I just get bored with deciding what to eat. Right now nothing tastes good to DH and we eat differently. Right now I wish I didn't have to think about food at all. I would be bored with the food no matter what diet I'm on. I am being more alert though because I know I have to be. I had less than 30 grams of carbs today. Just wasn't all that hungry. I must admit that I do like having fruit and feel that it is important for me to have. It can be done with low carb/not atkins, and I will finally figure it out.

Rosebud When my previous hubby was living and the children were little, I had my meals planned for each day. Our menus didn't change much. We knew what we were going to have on each Monday, Tuesday etc. No one was too picky about what they liked or didn't like. Now my new hubby of almost 8 years is the opposite. He is very picky about what he eats and doesn't care for variety like Bill did. Tony could eat the same thing for a week without any complaining. I'm the one who gets tired of trying to find things he will eat.

Ruth Enjoy your time with your DD and I hope you can work out the food you eat as well.

fatmad
11-16-2010, 03:54 AM
hit with the insomnia bug again. This is when I miss the carbs, a nice high carb snack would help me sleep right now. Oh well.
gonna turn on tv soon if sleep eludes me.

Ruthxxx
11-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Mad, I've learned to just get up and get on with the day. The dogs love it but they go back to sleep darned fast.

Not a good meeting with the scale this morning again - 200 is breathing down my neck! It may be from what I had for dinner last night - Crack Slaw. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/194446-colls-modified-crack-slaw.html) I added mushrooms, garlic and red pepper strips, 4 oz. of lean beef and just a small amount of soy sauce but ... I guess I'm super sensitive to salt.

Life is not really great these days with way too much stuff going on. I'm hoping my trip to Nanaimo helps with some of the stress. A week alone on a desert island sounds good right now, actually. I'm getting old and grouchy.

pattygirl63
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I woke up at 4:45 am to DH blow drying his hair. Got up to go potty and he was really hurting with his tummy so I dressed and took him to the ER. They did xrays and cat scan, gave him a prescription for the stomach pain and for nausea and sent us home. Seems he is having stomach spasms. We will get the rest of the results when we see the digestion doc on Thursday afternoon.

Eating has been sporadic so probably more carbs than I should have but within the right calorie range. Checked FBS after about 3 and 1/2 hrs of sleep and it 133, but that is good after so little sleep. I checked it again as soon as I got home and it was 118. So that was really good. Weight up a bit, but that is normal when I haven't had much sleep too. I will be glad when things settle down with DH and he is feeling better.

I think I'll take a nap and catch y'all tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
11-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Well, I dropped 2 pounds overnight and am back to 197 - not good but better. I leave for Nanaimo tomorrow and bet you anything I won't be at 189! :rofl:

When I'm away I am going to eat as well as I can and am going to go grocery shopping with my DD for some produce. I stay in a hotel when I visit - many different reasons - and have a fridge in my room. That means I can do my usual breakfast of fruit, yogurt and Fibre1. I'll push for a salad when we shop on Friday but know that Saturday will involve a MacDonald's lunch with my grandson and probably dinner out at Outback or some other scary place. All I can do is my best to chose wisely.

I know I won't lose weight but would love to stay the same. Unfortunately rain is predicted the whole time I'm there so walking won't happen. there is a gym in the hotel though so I will be able to work out.

pattygirl63
11-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Flyby today as I seem to be in slow mode and have to leave in about 15 minutes.

Ruth Maybe you can eat a salad at McDs. When DH and I go to Outback we half a steak meal and he eats the baked potato and I eat the veggies. Don't know if that helps. I hope things go well for you.

I guess my FBS of 133 was stress yesterday as it was 113 this morning. Was good to see that number. Scales still up at the moment but maybe it will catch up. I'm going to count carbs and calories for a while until I get things under control again.

Y'all have a great day.

fatmad
11-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Last night went out to the pub to enjoy the open jam and sing along with friends. Just had a soda water with a "splash" of cranberry juice for flavour. It was barely coloured, got home and hs blood sugar and 7.9! I was shocked.
This am fasting was 5.9 so came down fine over night. I am sure the "juice" was cranberry cocktail, but that was still shocking, a couple of hours later. Glad I only had one. At that rate, I may as well have had a beer!
Ruth, enjoy the visit, especially with your grandson, and I know you can make good choices.
Trish, hope DH feels better and you get to the bottom of the problems
FYI: dr oz is really getting on the lower carb/healthy carb bandwagon. He is not anti-atkins, and is really pushing folks to get rid of crummy carbs. read an article about it yesterday.
treadmill time

Lindyloo
11-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Good Morning:D

Not venturing out today. The snow is falling for the second day and the roads are terrible. I was supposed to go to exercise class today and tomorrow, but I don't think that's going to happen either day as I hear is going to snow overnight again as well.:(

I usually watch Dr. Oz every day. Don't follow his way, but he normally has some good advice.

Ruth, enjoy your visit with DD.

Trish, hope hubby feels better soon and they get to the bottom of what's bothering him.

Have a great day.

Ruthxxx
11-18-2010, 06:33 AM
:yikes: There is snow in the Nanaimo forecast. I usually fly west to get warmer weather but ... Shades of Christmas 208!

BGL fine and weight is stable. I am hoping it stays that way over the next five days. My mental state should be "mindful". I am having lunch in Ottawa with my friend Shirleyanne and ordered a "diabetic" meal for the flight. We'll see what they serve - I am not expecting anything delicious!

Not sure if I'll get access to a PC out there to check in but I will be thinking of you chickies.

pattygirl63
11-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Just checking in real quick. Stayed up with DH since he was in a lot of pain. I don't think the medicine is helping. Maybe his regular specialist will have a better choice. I had spastic colon/stomach when I was in my 30s and I remember how bad it was. I was blessed that the medicine I had helped a lot. Talked to my Daddy yesterday and he reminded me of when he had it. He said he finally stopped taking all meds since nothing worked and went on a bland diet for a while. Then one day decided to eat a bowl of chili and found out he was fine. Never had it again. May be what Tony will have to do. Thanks Lindyloo and Mad for thinking of him and for wishing him well. I appreciate it.

FBS and scales still bouncing around however not too high. At least FBS is down in range where doc wants it. Just not where I want it, but I'm hanging in there counting calories and carbs trusting that it will start working.

Ruth I may be to late, but I hope you have a great trip even with the snow and enjoy being with you DD and DGS.

DH has drs appt with specialist today and I've got lots to do before then.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-19-2010, 12:02 AM
RUTH ~ have a nice trip and a great visit with your DD ... you are blessed!

TRISH ~ sent up more prayers for your DH that the docs will find out the real problem and a solution of some kind for him so he can be comfortable again ... :hug:

:wave: to LINDY & MADELEINE & ALL ...

My best computer has crashed; picked up malware/virus here last week and it finally did 'er in today. I spent the last two days saving as many files as I could. So, I am now using my old PC -- and she is v e r y, v e r y slooow, but I will make do until I can get a better one.

Did my pre-op for my colonoscopy on Monday 10 AM; and picked up lots of juice & gatorades & pop today for the fast the day before.

I will come by to read and post as I can. WE HAVE SNOW! Have a fantastic Friday, ladies ... Rosebud :hug:

pattygirl63
11-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Rosebud Thanks for the prayers and I'm sending prayers up for you as well.

Doc was a big help for DH. The medicine ER doc gave DH started working yesterday so doc gave a full prescription for the spasm and a prescribed a medicine to swoosh and swallow for his tongue. Also gave him some samples of Naxium because he thinks he still may have an ulcer. He will do an upper endoscopy Monday morning at 10 am. So we will know for sure about the ulcer or anything else going on Monday.

I'm doing fine. Haven't checked FBS yet this morning because I had to call regular drs office this morning to see what to do about DH coumadin. Stopped it last night per directions they gave us last night, but needed to know what & what to do after the procedure Monday etc. PC was on since I did a scan last night while in bed and it was still on when I got up, I decided to check in real quick before turning it off. Rosebud mine found 2 viruses too and removed them. I knew something was wrong as it was running so slow. I usually do a scan once a week to catch those things but had not had time to do it.

Y'all have a great Friday and weekend!

fatmad
11-19-2010, 10:10 PM
rosebud and trish, you make me happy I have a mac, haven't been bothered by viruses on my home computer.
Stuck to plan today after a couple of days with little cheats, (breaded wings etc)
Had my dog to the vet, she has been very thirsty and peeing lots, was quite worried she had diabetes, but no sugar in urine. So she had some blood work and we have to do another urine test tomorrow, but am glad we don't have another diabetic in the house. She has enough health problems anyhow.
have a nice weekend everyone. Hope Ruth is enjoying her visit in BC

Ruthxxx
11-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Fatmad, get your vet to check for Cushings too. My Hershey had those symptoms but we didn't get to it in time. :(

BGL readings are just fine out here so I must be doing something right. I persuaded my DD we should have Christmas dinner tonight since it's very festive with snow. I bought a prestuffed, cook from frozen turkey which we are about to pop into the oven. Her DD works out on the ocean and will be delighted to smell turkey when he gets home late this afternoon!

It's a good visit although I found out that my dear grand daughter (19) has been diagnosed with bulemia! She's in therapy but we are all quite worried. She still is a good BMI but ...

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
THANKS TRISH ~ you reminded me about the blood thinner; I was to stop mine yesterday too, but oh the memory is shady these days; now, I can't recall if I took one this morning or not? I don't think I did! So many things to remember ... I did make a note of it on my paper, so I hope I'm OK for Monday @ 10 AM also (prayers for your DH's procedure then too). Made up lots of jello today too. Start the fasting prep tomorrow; eeks, hope it won't be too uncomfortable.

I had my PC set to do scans regularly (every week) and I even did some on my own right away, but they kept saying there was nothing there; but I know they were wrong now. My sister recommends that I change my security programs, as she thinks mine failed me. What kind do you have on your PC (you can PM me if you want to)?

MAD ~ I'd love to have a MAC; but they are very expensive, I hear ... ;)

RUTH ~ good idea on that early Turkey ... :bravo:

Hope you are all having a great weekend ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
11-21-2010, 03:53 PM
fatmad I hope the vet finds the problem & your little dog gets to feeling better soon.

Rosebud Thanks for praying for DH procedure and I pray yours goes well too.

I have my pc set to do an auto scan as well and it did warn me that I was at risk. We always used Norton in the past, but McAfee came with my laptop and we have just kept it and we are on long term contract with them. I can't really complain about it. Don't really know who has the best.

Ruth Good idea on the turkey dinner and glad BGL is doing good. I am so sorry about your grand daughter. I pray she will be able to get past all that. I think that is how my babysister kept her weight down for so many years. I haven't seen or heard from her since she has put on weight. I think because she is embarrassed and she used to fuss at my other sister and me wanting us to control our weight better. I know my daughter was anorexic at one time and now she battles her weight. I will be praying for your grand daughter.

I'm back to basic low carb. I tried doing it the way nutritionists say and I've been losing ground. I assume at this point that I have no other choice, but to do this. Was going to do 30 to 45 carbs a day, but today will end up being more of an Atkins day. I learned that I can't handle the carbs because I can't seem to stop. I find myself making excuses for why I can have them even though I know that I can't have that many. I tried counting caloris and carbs, but when I reached the 135 carbs, I had only eaten around 900 calories and they say never eat less than 1200 calories. I just couldn't make it work. So for now low carb seems to be the only way to go.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

fatmad
11-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Its been a very busy weekend for work, lots of odd hours, (always a challenge for eating anyhow, and a bit tough with atkins) so I carefully did 24 hour carb counts etc. Was also trying to get back on track after a couple of days with little cheats. Haven't slept more than 5 hours at a time for 3 days, so will not have an accurate weight until tomorrow when I (presumably) will have slept the night. But all normal deliveries and healthy babies and mamas, so a little sleep deprivation a small price to pay.
Thanks Ruth for suggesting cushings. Blood work was fine I think (I wasn't home for the call from vet). She was checking that out, as the specific gravity of the urine was low. They are also looking at diabetes insipidus (not mellitis) and behavioural problems. The dog isn't acting sick, in fact has more energy than usual.
Bs stable throughout, Taking the right snacks helped immensely, but had to resort to store bought atkins shakes after a while, as I had no time to repack the snacks at the weekend went on.
Went to a neighbours open house today, ate carefully, and stuck to plan, but I craved everything else on the table. The cravings and urges are still there when goodies are all laid out. Thank goodness there weren't a lot of sweets and stuff.
Trish, it is really hard to accept the changes we have to make, and I know how hard it is to get into atkins, its truly not easy. It does get easier over time. It must be really difficult if DH is eating a lot differently, and you aren't even sure how he should eat, given the ups and downs he is having with his digestion etc. Maybe make a 2 week plan and stick to it carefully. I feel so much better when I stick to plan that it makes it easier to stay on plan.
ttfn everyone

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
TRISH ~ I called the hospital about the possible error on my aspirin therapy and a nurse said not to worry about it: that there will still be three full days before the procedure, and it was only a precautionary measure as they are justing doing a scope. Sometimes, I think they overdo the rules a bit ... I hope that you can design a plan for yourself using Atkins as a base that works for you. I think MAD has a good idea to just try for a week or two at a time, and see how it goes.

Maybe make meals that you can just add a potato or a bit of rice for your DH, so you both can eat them, ie baked chicken & veggies (add a potato for your DH). I always make myself a very small potato and a bigger one (or a couple of small ones) for my DH who is thin and loves potatoes. Thanks for your prayers; I really appreciate them! :hug:

Am getting through this prep stage with some creativity; felt a bit water-logged at moments -- flat gingerale goes a long way to help that (a tip from my Grandma). Going to be earlier tonight; gotta get up very early for the last med dose, then on to the hospital.

pattygirl63
11-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Have great day everyone. Catch ya later.

pattygirl63
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM
We are home from the hospital and DH has an ulcer in the duodenal treatable with the meds he is already on. We see the doc on Dec 6th and if the Nexium is working, he will be given a prescription for it. Doc took did a biopsy to see if there is any infection. So all is well or at least it will be and I am so thankful.

Now to get this BS under control.

Rosebud I hope everything went well with your procedure today.

DH came home starving. Supposed to have liquides and then eat soft foods... he went directly to soft foods. I heard a woman in the office tell her husband that she knew he never followed the rules so she knew he would want to go out to eat but she didn't want to eat where he usually did when he had these things done. He said he didn't want to eat there. She said it was good because she was tired of to eating there. Guess everyone is different.:D

Now I've got to get busy with my lessons for Wednesday. I'm way behind this week and lots of reading to do.

fatmad
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Trish, did he also get tested for H. pylori as well? some ulcers can be caused by that bacteria and antibiotic therapy is needed to keep it away, the nexium etc will help it heal too.
Had a great day on plan, and a good conversation with DD, not about anything in particular, but just chatting normally. Will be away for a couple of days, and not sure about internet access. Hope the association and hotel will honour my dietary requests and I can stay on plan while working through these meetings.
ttfn, have a good week if I don't check in for a few days.

fatmad
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
was able to stay on plan, the conference planners did have sandwiches for lunch, but I was able to eat the fillings, and there were two salads that seemed appropriate. I had a good breakfast as well, and supper looks fine. Found someone to work out with after the meetings ended and before supper. I am getting salmon for supper so should be fine. I may be tempted by the chocolate mousse for dessert tho. SInce I won't be drinking the wine etc it seems fair.... but maybe not a good idea. Can I resist?
So whats up, no posts since last night? Hope everyone is doing ok. I have another meeting day, then home to the family. ttfn

pattygirl63
11-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Fatmad So glad you are able to stay OP. I'm not sure exactly what all the doctor is checking for he just said that he wanted to know if there was any infection so I assume he is checking for it too. I don't really know what H. pylori is.

Not much happening here today. We went to regular doctor's office to check DH blood and it was a little thick, but they didn't change anything since he had started back on his coumadin yesterday evening.

I'm just counting calories right now and cutting the carbs back but not getting rid of all of them. I found a little booklet at the doctor's office called Managing Your Diabetes Self-Care Diary by Lilly. It has a place to write down your meals and snacks for each day and also a place to write before and after m/dl breakfast, noon and evening and bedtime mg/dl. So I got it one an am going to use it and keep up with things and probably start using it tomorrow. I think it will be very helpful to see how certain foods affect my blood sugar.

Till later.

pattygirl63
11-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Rosebud :hug: Hope everything is going all right with you. Prayers coming your way.

fatmad
11-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Trish, H. pylori is just a bacteria that can cause ulcers in some people. So treating that with antibiotics is part of treating the ulcers. So it sounds like the doc is checking, but sometimes it takes a while to get results.
recently, a family doc asked me to draw blood on a midwifery clients whose husband has the h. pylori bug. He wanted to make sure she didn't have it and to treat it if she did, before she had problems. So I guess it can pass between spouses. So if you DH has it, ask your doc about testing you too.
I did not have the chocolate mousse for dessert, and didn't drink all the wine. We all had a good time, its the first time I have been at this meeting (it happens annually, this is my 4th time) and I had just as much fun, but slept ok and no hangover. SO still not really missing the drinking. Sugars are stellar!

pattygirl63
11-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Y'all have HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!

pattygirl63
11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I did very well today. I finally found some steel cut oatmeal and I seem to be able to eat it with no problem. So I had that with Activia yogurt and blueberries this morning for breakfast. Then we went to Ryan's to eat and being back in southern part of the country I had old fashioned cornbread dressing with their gravy with turkey in it on top. I had a small of candied sweet potatoes but had no marshmellows, a good serving of green beans and a roll no butter. For dessert, I had told DH I wanted a piece of pecan pie and he went and cut me a small piece and put ice cream and carmel on top and WOW it was rich... too sweet. I ate about half of the pie since the crust was too hard. Came home and checked BS about 2 hrs later and the reading was 179 which I've learned from the little journal I found at the doc's office that it should be <180. So with what all I had and it being made in a restaurante, I think I did very well.

I haven't had muct since because something I ate made me sick or having all that food did. Ended up taking a zantac it settle my tummy down. I've had 1/2 grapefruit, 1 Weight Watcher's Carrot snack cake and a cup of diet cocoa and finished off my day with celery and a few WG crackers with tuna salad. Drinking lots of water now to hopefully wash out any salt I got today.

Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving day.

fatmad
11-27-2010, 09:09 AM
I had a nice supper party last night, and the roast veggies were the worst I did for carbs. But the day before I had some baked goods, too good to pass up, and binged a little of that. BS is staying fine, but did affect my weight a bit. Have to stay on track for now.
My little slip isn't fueling a carb craving like usual tho, which is nice. Sticking to scrambled eggs and back bacon for breakfast now. Have a nice Saturday friends.

pattygirl63
11-27-2010, 12:41 PM
fatmad Sounds like you have things under control. Good for you.

My FBS is staying around 130s, but my bs later in the day is great. Checked 2 hours after my main meal and it was 105. I read somewhere that some people have a higher FBS as it has something to do with our waking up in the morning. I do notice that when it is up a bit like that, I am ready to get up and get busy. I really like waking up ready to go instead of laying there dreading getting out of bed. My weight was really good this morning as weight is only up 1/2 lb after eating out and putting more carbs into my calorie county woe. I am more active as I feel more like doing more. However, I'm not getting enough sleep which would it would the FBS some if I could get my 7 to 8 hrs sleep. So I think things are good considering everything. I'm definitely learning that eating enough calories is as important as not eating enough.

Rosebud hasn't checked in so I hope it is because she is busy. Just wonder how her tests went.

Y'all have a great weekend.

fatmad
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Trish, are you on any meds? My fasting is still a bit higher than I would like, even with metformin in the evenings. I will be asking my doc about taking it twice a day. By diabetic standards, my fasting is ok, (in the high 5's usually, and I would like it in the low 5's or even in the high 4's, like non-diabetics: this correlates to 5.5 is 85 to you I think)
I believe the fasting is mostly due to the liver dumping glucose while we sleep, and the metformin is helpful for that, and I wonder if people who do low carb have more of a problem with that. But you are lower carb, not as low as I generally stay. hmmm
I also like steel cut oats. When I was still eating grains that was my favourite, and would be high on the list to enjoy when I start eating grains again. I would cook several servings at the same time since it takes so long to cook it. I also cooked it in milk or soy milk so it was creamier that way. mmmmm, now I'm getting a carb craving, not for sugary stuff, but for oatmeal. LOL

pattygirl63
11-28-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm thinking about asking the doctor if he can up my metformin as well. I can get the numbers down with strict low carb like atkins, but I'm just not satisfied with that any more. Sometimes I don't like the smell of the meat raw or cooked and I really miss the oats and fruit when on strict low carb. I read about a man whose wife wouldn't let him eat strict low carb and made him eat what they call balanced and he said that eventually his numbers came down. I am hoping that will work for me, however, I read that if you are Insulin Resistant that you have to do the low carb like atkins. So that may be I will have to do it and just get used to it. I will give this a little longer and then decide.

Ruthxxx
11-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Been MIA since I got home as my PC finally gave it up! I'm back now but life is a tad difficult. My friend Joanne's man killed himself on Friday and we are all reeling. I also found out that the friend I visited in Langley is now in hospital and it doesn't look good. ** Sigh ** It's sort of hard to fa-la-la with bad stuff around but I'm working on it.
Managed to lose the tiny bit of weight I gained while in B.C. and even reinstated my ticker! With a lot of stress in my life right now, I need to take particular care to eat properly.
I'm about to have cabbage rolls made with quinoa right now on this cold and gray Sunday. Omelet and salad for dinner tonight.

pattygirl63
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Didn't make it to church today. DH didn't feel well thinks he is getting a sore throat. Then I couldn't sleep last night. Nothing new as I haven't been sleeping well. Finally got up and came back in here with DH and he asked what was wrong. I told him that I didn't know I just couldn't sleep. I checked my blood sugar and it was 163 at 2:30 in the morning. It had been hours since I'd eat anything. Guess I got that insulin surge before 3am. DH handed me a pill and said take this and go to bed in 1 hr. It was one of his sleeping pills. I went to the bathroom then came back and got all comfy in my recliner to watch something he wanted me to see while I waited for to go to bed in an hr. I remember covering up and leaning back and that is the last thing I remember until I woke up about 5 hrs later when I got up and made my way to bed for a few more hours for a total of 8 hrs sleep. When I got up and checked my FBS it was 111. So I'm going to have to discuss this with my dr. I think my main problem is that I don't slee enough hrs. My 5 or 6sometimes 7 hrs just isn't helping my BS. I would like him to up the metformin to (2) 1000 mg a day and I think I need a prescription for a mild sleeping pill that will help me sleep and not make me feel spaced out the next day.

Madie I am totally enjoying the steel cut oats. I am so thrilled that it doesn't throw my BS real high like the regular oats did. I liked to never found them, but I finally found them at Bi-Lo. I knew they used to sell it in the special foods section, but never saw them any more. I decided to look around the other oatmeal in the cereal section and found it there. There is a steal cut oats organic made by Country Choice. It says it cooks in 5 minutes on the box, but that is cooking on top of stove. I cook mine in the microwave. It says to cook 3 min at 50% power then stir and cook another 3-4 minutes at 50% power. I have 2 microwaves and 1 does powers and the other doesn't, but I found that I can cook it at full power in 3 minutes just like the old fashioned oats. Maybe you can find it there when you are ready to eat it again.

I learned to eat oats from my Mama. High cholesterol rain in her family, he daddy and brothers and 1 sister had it. Mama never had high cholesterol because she at oats. I always say I eat oats to control cholesterol, with berries to protect my arteries and yourt (switched to Activia) for digestive system and to keep down the tendency toward yeast infections which I have experienced with BS was way to high. I'm not sure I'm going to count calories or carbs. I think I'm going to center in on eating the right amount of veggies, fruits etc. The reason being that I've got so many years of diet rules of you have to eat this much etc. I think I need to eat enough to satisfy me. I have a tendency to eat what satisfies me and then I have all these calories left that I have to eat according to diet rules and then I eat more than I really need which leads me to crave certain tastes. I don't think I need so much food all the time. Will see. I don't want to set myself up for failure either. I just don't want any food or diet to control my life. It ends up taking up too much of my time and thougts. I want my life to take a turn away from thinking about food all the time.

Y'all have a great Sunday.

fatmad
11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
wow trish, those aren't my steel cut oats from scratch! they aren't hard to find in my regular grocers (zehrs and sobeys) but I usually buy the store brand. They take 45 minutes to cook (box says 30, but maybe since they are in milk and I don't have the heat so high it takes longer). I know zehrs also sell them in microwavable bowls, all frozen but precooked.
Ruth, I am happy you are back on line and getting back in shape. I am so sorry for the loss of this man. It is very hard on everyone involved to lose someone that way. Depression can be fatal, like cancer and emphysema, but the emotional toll on loved ones is very different. Loving thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friend Joanne.
Cabbage rolls with quinoe instead of rice, sounds wonderful. I just got a head of cabbage in my organic food box this week, that will be a good use for it. I will make it for work potluck, as DH doesn't appreciate them at all. (calls them garbage rolls, and whines if a restaurant is even serving them)
But thanks for the idea. I will go with it.

pattygirl63
11-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Hi Ruth Sorry I didn't see you on here today when I posted. You must have sent your message while I was typing mine and I missed you. Missed you when you were gone and glad you are back and have been able to get rid of the weight gain. Sorry your pc was down and really sad about your sick friend and the loss of Joanne's man. I will keep y'all in my prayers.

Mad I knew there were supposed to be the other kind of steel cut oates, but I never could find them. May have to go to the health food store to find them. I've decided not to wait any longer to go back to strict low carb; I'm doing it tomorrow. I ate a bowl of the beef soup I made yesterday and put the rest in the freezer to use when the kids come to spend a week at Christmas time. I felt so bad tonight even light headed at one time while decorating the tree. So I decided that maybe I need to do this now instead of waiting.

Ruthxxx
11-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Well, got a phone call yesterday from Linda's daughter telling me Linda died Saturday night! I am finding this hard to take in as I had lunch with her just last Monday. This is going to be a difficult week so I will need to get a firm grip on food - at least that can be under control. The rest of Life is not!

pattygirl63
11-29-2010, 09:38 AM
(((Ruth))) I am so sorry about your friend. Prayers & thoughts coming your way and for your friends family during this time.

Not much happening here.

Everyone have a good day.

fatmad
11-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh Ruth, so sorry, this will be a hard week for you. I know you will miss your friend.
Well its the end of November, and I am now one pound less than I started. I haven't moved the ticker yet, waiting to see if I can sustain it. Still working on a general downward trend.
Went for yoga today, but the room was so hot, I think my blood pressure dropped and I had a vaso-vagal reaction, I had to lie down for a while. Will have to watch that. Have been walking too, so exercise everyday so far this week. That is my goal, having exercise at least 5 days this week, and every week.