100 lb. Club - How Often Do You Weigh?

View Full Version : How Often Do You Weigh?

socalfelicity
10-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Do you weigh every day? Once/week? Once/month? Never?

I used to weigh every day, but I think that set myself up for some disappointment and emotional eating. Now I am weighing once/week- but I think I might go to once/month...

Just curious what everyone else does!!!

Shmead
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Every single morning, naked, after I go to the bathroom. I track it on an excel spreadsheet that gives me the rolling seven day average. This smoothes out any weird water retention bumps.

Weighing everyday makes me less emotional: it's just something I do, like brushing my teeth. And if I don't like the number, I don't have to live with it very long before I get new data. If I weighed once a week or month, I'd wonder about it all the time and build up really unrealistic expectations.

Asherdoodles87
10-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I used to weigh every day, but it fluctuates so much. I think I am going to start weighing myself weekly. I weighed myself on Friday, so next Friday I will again.

socalfelicity
10-30-2010, 01:31 PM
i never thought about it that way! i don't have excel, though...

when i weigh every day, it can ruin my whole day if the number is up after a good previouis day...so i guess that's why i go with not as often...

JennyT
10-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Every single morning, naked, after I go to the bathroom.

ditto :) sometimes before bed too just to see what a difference the day makes. I don't get upset by the number going up and down as I know that it has a lot to do with water intake etc.

angelskeep
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
I've always done once a week. Not for any good reason, just that's what I've done.

Barb

thaisccs
10-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I weigh myself weekly, every friday, after I come back from the gym, no clothes. I don't know if that's the best time, but it's when I feel more confident!

Eliana
10-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Always daily and often whenever I want to. As soon as I gave myself permission to use that tool whenever I wanted to, I was able to stop obsessing.

If I weigh weekly, I dream up a number I think I should have lost by "weigh day" and my actual number is never the dreamed up 20 pounds in a week that I deserve. ;) I was making myself absolutely crazy.

Meg
10-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Every single day since 2001. As a result, I now know exactly how my body responds to sodium, off plan eating, different calorie levels, carbs, exercise, a treat meal, travel etc. My weight is never a surprise -- in fact, I play a little game where I guess my weight before I get on the scale and I'm usually within .2 pounds.

There are studies showing long term maintenance success associated with daily weighing. With daily weighing, there isn't a chance for your weight to get away from you and give you a nasty surprise. We all know it's easier to catch and deal with a 2 or a 5 pound gain instead of a 10 - 20 pound gain! :eek:

But as with everything weight related, we all have to find what works for us. :)

rockinrobin
10-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Another thing about infrequent weighing in regards to fluctuations in particular - what if that day is when you've got a fluctuation UP and you've missed a new low and then you have to wait a whole other week or month. Ooooh, talk about disappointment and discouragement.

KatMarie
10-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I weigh every morning, right after I get up.

susiemartin
10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Everyday.
It's keeps me honest about what is happening.
When I'm off my program I tend to ignore the consequences. With daily weighing I'm forced to confront what I'm doing....as in a month of Halloween candy :(

StarGetsFit
10-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Every single morning, naked, after I go to the bathroom.

Same here, I find it motivating, and it keeps me accountable. I get to SEE what not drinking enough water does. I get to SEE that, no, that piece of pie was not worth it, I get SEE what my TOM patterns are. Also, joining a daily weigh-in thread where people support me has helped alot, both because of the moral boost and because I get see that other people's bodies have the same daily variances that mine does: Fluctuating about is normal and not something to get upset over.

Rosinante
10-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Every day, after bathroom, which is after breakfast.

I still get the occasional "I can't believe it", bad or good, but mostly it takes the sting out of weighing, keeps me in touch with my body, enables me to see patterns.

JoJoJo2
10-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Daily. This keeps me accountable to myself.

DixC Chix
10-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Daily. Second thing in the morning. No matter what it shows, it is an opportunity to reflect on my old yesterday and my new today.

JessLess
10-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Daily. I don't get upset if it is up a couple of pounds on a particular day. It's important data for me.

Onederchic
10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Not often at all because I tend to let the scale own me and I had to stop the obsession.

popspry
10-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Weekly. I like that I stay on plan yet almost forget to weigh-in.

catherinef
10-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Daily, after using the bathroom, with only a very few exceptions, like I'm out of town, or my husband is leaving at an incredibly early hour for a business trip. That second reason is because I like to weigh myself at approximately the same time every morning. No idea why that's important to me, but it is!

I am absolutely convinced my previous wipeouts, after losing substantial amounts of weight, came because I stopped weighing myself. I've been at this for well over two years now, and I can deal with the daily fluctuations. I like seeing them, actually, since it was REALLY helpful, on the way down, to see I have a distinct pattern to how I lose weight, and predictable reactions to sodium and the like.

Gale02
10-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I weigh daily at home (in the morning, in my underwear) and track weekly at Weight Watchers.

calluna
10-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Another daily weigher, in the morning, after initial bathroom break. Sometimes I weigh at other times during the day for curiosity. My lightest time of day is not in the morning - it's during midafternoon, when I get home from work and before dinner. Weird, huh?

carter
10-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Another thing about infrequent weighing in regards to fluctuations in particular - what if that day is when you've got a fluctuation UP and you've missed a new low and then you have to wait a whole other week or month. Ooooh, talk about disappointment and discouragement.

This. I'm one of those who has big fluctuations, I way every day because there is no way I want to miss those new lows! I also find it very helpful to learn my body's patterns - I know, when I bounce up from those lows, that if I'm patient and trust my plan for four or five days I'll be rewarded with another new low.

Weighing once a week will give me too much room to procrastinate - oh, it's six days until my next weigh-in, so if I overeat a little today I have time to "make it up." This, for me, is a recipe for disaster. And once a month? No way. I may as well just go back to stuffing my pie-hole.

kaplods
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Daily also. If I stay away from the scale, even for a day or two I tend to get careless with my eating habits. The daily scale and the daily goal helps keep me motivated. It's important though for me to see staying the same as success, because if I saw it as failure, I'd be experiencing more failure than success. It's hard to stick with anything that feels unsuccessful more often than it feels successful.

Summer2010
10-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Once a day. In the morning, after bathroom.

toastedsmoke
10-30-2010, 04:56 PM
I weigh in twice a week (Saturday and Wednesday/Thursday) but only ever count/record the Saturday weigh in. I get quite neurotic about fluctuating numbers and my day/week can be absolutely ruined by a bad weigh in day. I think for my sanity, weekly weighing works better. I can't deal with the daily ups and downs even though I MIGHT be missing a lower number during the week. (BTW, I do a mid-week weigh in, just to see that I'm on track and to see how things are going that week).

eclipse
10-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Another daily weigher here, for all the reasons people stated above. I think it's second only to calorie counting in terms of the biggest reasons for my success.

socalfelicity
10-30-2010, 05:35 PM
wow!!!!!!!!!!!! so many daily weighers!!!!!

i am kinda with onederlandchic- the scale starts to own me if i weigh too often. i use to weight many times during the day- i think now i am going to stick with once a week...maybe once every two or three weeks. the scale just gets to my head and makes me focus TOO much on what i'm eating- i am prone to obsession, so i just need to step away from the scale sometimes!!! i keep reminding myself it's a marathon, not a sprint.

but i DO understand why people would want to weigh every day and that it really can keep you on track and help avoid a major gain...

caryesings
10-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I only weigh once a month BUT I log my food and activity daily and track my average calorie deficit. As long as that number looks good I know the weight is coming off. Stepping on a scale to check how I'm doing has never worked out for me. If the number is better than I expected, than I think I can allow myself extra treats, and if the number is worse than expected, I think "what's the point?" and go for the treat.

Finally at age 49 and a half I decided I wanted to concentrate on the behaviours, not the results and what do you know? The results have been fantastic.

rockinrobin
10-30-2010, 06:48 PM
the scale just gets to my head and makes me focus TOO much on what i'm eating .

Isn't focusing on what you're eating a good thing? I mean, isn't that the whole idea to weight loss and maintenance?. Isn't it when people aren't focused so intently on what they're eating that they make poor choices?

socalfelicity
10-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Isn't focusing on what you're eating a good thing? I mean, isn't that the whole idea to weight loss and maintenance?. Isn't it when people aren't focused so intently on what they're eating that they make poor choices?

well- i think it just depends on the person. for me personally, i have a perfectionist personality- which you would think is a good thing but it's not- i am more likely to throw in the towel entirely if things aren't "perfect"- so a bad weigh day can turn me into a tailspin.

also, i do better when i'm not focused on the food SO much- like, i log it, i plan for it, but i don't let it rule my life...otherwise, it becomes overwhelming and i give up entirely. so far, it's working really well for me and i am losing weight healthfully and for good...and having a full, active life that's not all about food and losing weight. i guess i feel more healthy about my weight loss if i'm not weighing every day (which for me can turn into obsession)...

Onederchic
10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
well- i think it just depends on the person. for me personally, i have a perfectionist personality- which you would think is a good thing but it's not- i am more likely to throw in the towel entirely if things aren't "perfect"- so a bad weigh day can turn me into a tailspin.

also, i do better when i'm not focused on the food SO much- like, i log it, i plan for it, but i don't let it rule my life...otherwise, it becomes overwhelming and i give up entirely. so far, it's working really well for me and i am losing weight healthfully and for good...and having a full, active life that's not all about food and losing weight. i guess i feel more healthy about my weight loss if i'm not weighing every day (which for me can turn into obsession)...

This is me as well :/ :hug:

Sunshine73
10-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I weigh every morning. Naked, after shower and bathroom break, before breakfast. It's become a part of my morning routine like brushing my teeth.

rockinrobin
10-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I absolutely understand ones preference to not weigh daily. That is a personal choice.

What I didn't understand and therefore questioned was not wanting to focus, your words, "too much" on what you're eating. I was not at all questioning your decision to not weigh daily, as that has apparently worked beautifully for you!

i log it, i plan for it, but i don't let it rule my life.

This is what I do. I guess it's all semantics because it sounds to me as if you are focused on what you're consuming, but certainly not in a negative way, but in a very, very positive way. :)

socalfelicity
10-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I absolutely understand ones preference to not weigh daily. That is a personal choice.

What I didn't understand and therefore questioned was not wanting to focus, your words, "too much" on what you're eating. I was not at all questioning your decision to not weigh daily, as that has apparently worked beautifully for you!

This is what I do. I guess it's all semantics because it sounds to me as if you are focused on what you're consuming, but certainly not in a negative way, but in a very, very positive way. :)

yes, i guess i worded it wrong- i should have said, "i don't want to focus too much on what i'm weighing" - because you're right, i am focusing on what i am eating...but just not letting the number on the scale rule me...

i wish i could weigh every day and not let it get to me.

skylinedrive
10-30-2010, 11:38 PM
usually every morning, or when i feel empty. i sometimes weigh myself later in the day because i find it insane how you can gain like 2 lbs in food/water. it makes me nervous lol

matt_H
10-31-2010, 04:42 AM
Twice a day, in the morning after waking up (after hitting the loo) and at night right before bed. I weigh at night as a prediction of what the morning weight might be. I usually drop 3 or 4 pounds overnight.

I do strongly believe now that weighing more is much better *if* you can learn to accept the random fluctuations that have nothing to do with actually fat loss.

rockinrobin
10-31-2010, 05:58 AM
yes, i guess i worded it wrong- i should have said, "i don't want to focus too much on what i'm weighing" - because you're right, i am focusing on what i am eating...but just not letting the number on the scale rule me...

i wish i could weigh every day and not let it get to me.

Okay, good. This makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

krampus
10-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Once a day in the morning after I pee. Sometimes I weigh myself right before and after an evening workout. I'm not thrown off/totally discouraged by fluctuations so I don't mind weighing daily.

starbrite
10-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Daily. It keeps me sane, even if I see a rise in weight, I have been able to chart my weight over the last 6 months to see that I do have rises, and falls. I have also tracked the number of rises and falls each month, and accept this as part of my bodies reaction to the weightloss. I also subscribe to a daily weigh in thread which helps me to understand others have the same fluctuations. I have succeeded and failed twice before. I don't want to do this again, and am sure when I hit goal, I will need to continue the daily weigh in to keep on track. Also, imho, it does take some sort of obsessive behaviour to lose over 100lbs ! Good luck in whatever you do :)

ghostgirl811
10-31-2010, 11:19 AM
3 times a day, as soon as i get up, when i come home from school, and after i take a shower, but i count the one that i take after school cause im lighter then lol but i thought you weighed less in the mornings but i weigh 2 pounds less in the afternoon than i do in the mornings

Purpleegg
10-31-2010, 11:27 AM
If I'm doing well, I weigh myself every day. Once the number doesn't change, I put a few days between weigh-ins. Those few days seem to let me relax (as in become a little less obsessive), which is a good thing.:dizzy:

lottie63
10-31-2010, 11:32 AM
weekly

JackieHollow
10-31-2010, 11:53 AM
I always weigh in daily in the mornings. Occasionally I will weigh in the evenings, but not often, anymore. It was just getting to be too much for me. I am, starting tomorrow, going to be writing my weight down daily in a chart, along with my food log, exercise log, and any other things about my day. I'm hoping to really get a handle on my body and learn what makes it tick. (Before I've had all this info in several different places, and was hard to really look and see all at once what was going on. KWIM?).

shannonmb
10-31-2010, 08:27 PM
I weigh monthly, because it just feels good for me to focus almost solely on getting myself moving more and eating really, really well. The scale has been cooperating so far, and I love seeing a pretty substantial loss every time I get on the scale. I do it a day or 2 after TOM is over, so I do try to go with when it will be a good time. I did have one month where the loss was only 7, must have been a bad day to weigh. But it was still 7 lbs, and I didn't mind, because the next month it was 14!

I love weighing monthly and will continue to do so until I get a bit closer to goal. But ONLY on the condition that I am faithfully working my plan at all times, and that once the losses start to drop off, I will do it more if I need to start tweaking things.

So far it is working well for me, and it's quite liberating to see the changes on my actual body before checking in to see what the scale has to say about it. :D

doppio
10-31-2010, 11:53 PM
I've been doing the daily weigh in, but I'm not sure if I want to keep with that, or switch to weekly. Daily would help me keep track of my patterns a lot easier, but weekly probably won't disappoint like daily eventually will.