Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default An image consultant

Would you consider hiring one? I wonder how much one would cost. I wonder how to go about locating one.

I'd LOVE to have someone come in and dress me! I see other people and think, yes, I want to dress like her! But throw me into a store and I am LOST! There are way too many decisions and about the best thing I can do is throw together bottoms and tops. Matching up jackets and other extras confuses the heck out of me.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I would love to have one! I am totally helpless when it comes to clothes!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #3  
Out is Through

That sounds expensive, especially where I live!
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #4  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

You might try picking your most "fashionable" friend and ask them to go shopping with you!

That would at least be cheaper! LOL.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/150/130

Height: 5'2

I am in need of one! To me I think a V-neck t-shirt and jeans are perfectly fashionable.
totsandfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

I do have a friend I could ask, except though I admire HER style, she once convinced me to buy the most horrible red dress when I was 235 pounds. My MIL has a family picture with me in that dress forever hanging in her kitchen. Oh, it's awful! I'm not sure I trust her opinion on me. LOL!

Money is definitely an issue. I read on my PT's blog last night that she used one and all she mentioned was that the consultant came and purged her closet and then went out and shopped within a budget. I want to get more information.

It's probably a pipe dream...
Old 10-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsandfries View Post
I am in need of one! To me I think a V-neck t-shirt and jeans are perfectly fashionable.
Yes! Exactly! Add sweatshirts to the mix and that's my closet.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Does Nordstrom still have personal shoppers who can help you pick things out? I remember going with my aunt when she was in for a wardrobe overhaul when I was a teenager. The woman assigned to us spent several hours with us, picked out clothes from head to toe.

Which is like what Rachel did on Friends, as a matter of fact.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/150/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Yes! Exactly! Add sweatshirts to the mix and that's my closet.
Yep, I live in v-necks, jeans, hoodies and flip flops. When it gets cold in the winter I will even wear my flip flop with socks on.
totsandfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #10  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I have it mind to book a "Colour me Beautiful" consultation but not quite yet. I'd been thinking of January but I'm not going to be near enough goal, I don't think.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

What a great idea - I want the one who made over Susan Boyle.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is one thing that I absolutely cannot imagine outsourcing, as I love looking at & buying clothes & every day, I think getting dressed is like a combination of creating an artwork (like a painting) that expresses my mood & the season & what things I love lately, and dressing a character in a theatrical production. Like who do I want to be today, while still being saef?

And it's so individual that I cannot even imagine telling someone else what to wear.

I mean, I enjoyed "What Not to Wear" but I'd never want to do that.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I would LOVE to go on What Not To Wear. You still get to pick what you like, they just guide you.

What I did was pay a lot of attention to what I like that other people wear. I am pretty simple, but I like dresses a lot and dresses are easy because there's no coordinating.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #14  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Many, many stores offer personal shoppers for free now.

Even JCrew and Banana do this! You make an appt and its totally free. Try it out

They often tell you about sales in advance and hook you up with coupons too.

Over time I have developed my own sense of style. Having for so many years just bought whatever I could button/zip up and didnt look atrocious, a whole new world opened up when lots of things could be zipped up. Hehe

Dont be afraind to try anything on, take pics of yourself, and then return later after you have had time to think it over. And when things truly fit, dont be afraid to buy many of them (if you are staying one size!).

My #1 rule is about fit over style. Not long ago everyone had their clothes tailor made just for them. The invention of ready to wear is horrendous in my opinion. Hardly anything truly fits anyone, regardless of how small or large they are. My biggest tips are around making sure your shoulders fit, your waist and butt dont pinch or gape, you can sit without baring your *** and that overall you create a nice lean line. This is one area where looking at models helps, look specifically at the fit. And always always always sit down, bend over, walk, etc to test that out while trying on clothes.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xty View Post
Many, many stores offer personal shoppers for free now.

Even JCrew and Banana do this! You make an appt and its totally free. Try it out

They often tell you about sales in advance and hook you up with coupons too.

Over time I have developed my own sense of style. Having for so many years just bought whatever I could button/zip up and didnt look atrocious, a whole new world opened up when lots of things could be zipped up. Hehe

Dont be afraind to try anything on, take pics of yourself, and then return later after you have had time to think it over. And when things truly fit, dont be afraid to buy many of them (if you are staying one size!).

My #1 rule is about fit over style. Not long ago everyone had their clothes tailor made just for them. The invention of ready to wear is horrendous in my opinion. Hardly anything truly fits anyone, regardless of how small or large they are. My biggest tips are around making sure your shoulders fit, your waist and butt dont pinch or gape, you can sit without baring your *** and that overall you create a nice lean line. This is one area where looking at models helps, look specifically at the fit. And always always always sit down, bend over, walk, etc to test that out while trying on clothes.
Oh, you may well be a life saver. I did not know this about personal shoppers being free! I will be on the look out. Whoopie!