Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 01:38 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down BFL/BB #75 - week of 3 Nov 2002

Well, in between doing laundry and packing, thought I'd start the new thread this week! I really hope to be able to get into the 'Net during my London trip because it would be just about impossible to get caught up with everyone in between here and L&S...(and that's not even counting the HORSE forums I post/lurk at!!).

Did anyone see the People Magazine with Demi Moore on the cover? I was blown away because she will be celebrating the big 4-0 the day after mine - and she looks GREAT. Jim is such a sweetie - he said I look just as good as Demi (yeah riiiiigght - I wish). I definitely don't FEEL 40 in the least - I feel my life has just begun over the past few years.

Virginia - Since I walk to the gym, I get a 'warm-up' in before doing my weights. If you feel like you need to wake up, you might want to spend five minutes doing a walk, just to get the blood flowing - nothing strenuous - before doing weights. I feel it's important to follow the book for at least the first couple of challenges - remember, if you haven't lifted heavy weights ever or it's been a long time, this first 12 weeks is going to be your PRIME TIME to gain muscle. This is one of the main reasons you SHOULDN'T weigh yourself too often (optimally, you should only weigh yourself on Day 1 and Day 84 IMO!). What's gonna happen is that FIRST, you will GAIN MUSCLE (which weighs more than fat) before you start burning fat. From what I've seen, the BFLers who insist on weighing themselves too often are the ones who end up GIVING UP early because 'nothing's happening' on the scale. In the long run, though, remember that the newly-gained muscle WILL BURN OFF THAT FAT - as long as you're working out intensly and eating clean! I know, I know - we're all used to doing hours and hours and hours of cardio. Look back and think - what results have you gotten from that? The point is - if all that time spent doing cardio had given you the results you seek, you wouldn't be doing BFL now wouldja?

I haven't stressed this in awhile - but one tool that can keep you on track is JOURNALING. It doesn't need to be here at 3FC - in fact, I prefer writing in my little journalbook - sometimes a sentence or two, sometimes pages. You would be AMAZED at how much it helps. Also, TAKE THOSE BEFORE PHOTOS. You don't have to LOOK at 'em - but rest assured that you WILL want to have them in about 8-12 weeks!

Ledom - I wouldn't worry too much about the Halloween thing - I think many of us had Fun Size candybars on Free Day this week! Fortunately it hasn't been too much of a problem for me since we make a point of not being home on Halloween night - so I have no 'excuse' to buy candy. My niece and nephew didn't do much Trick or Treating this year - in fact my niece (who is 12) rather than trick or treating, went to several house parties with friends (I believe that toilet paper and Silly String were involved to a large extent). I was a bit worried about her weight and eating a few months back but she has leaned out a lot over the summer - you should see her - with her blonde hair and cute face, she looks a LOT like Kirsten Dunst! Her little brother is always active - I'm planning on taking him to the stables one weekend. Jen says that if he wants to, he can start taking riding lessons which would be very exciting for his doting Auntie (me!).

Hey JC - my freedays are a lot like yours. I've been craving Chinese food for some reason but I probably won't get a chance to have any - since I have to be at the airport by 4:30. Last night we jumped the gun a bit actually and went to Yumi Yogurt - I had a Pumpkin Pie flavored frozen yogurt. That is some GOOD STUFF.

Well, gotta run and get stuff organized! Later gals (hopefully tomorrow if I can get a phone line to work to my laptop!)
Old 11-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #2  

I went to the old thread, in fact I had it bookmarked, and when I couldn't find where to write a reply I paniced (doesn't look right)Then I thought think,think, think.......and here I am. I'm fine now

Mrs.Jim Saw that magazine and bought it! I really admire Demi Moore. Amazing shape.
I agree with you about the journalling. For myself the internet works best for me. I seem to always give up if I am penning it. I think this is the longest I have stuck with a journal. I deleted my first journal on 3fatchicks, as I felt it was getting stale!! Then once it was gone I regretted it.

I checked out the Body for Life website and they have the 2003 challenge. You can enter early on line. Anyway I wanted to see the rules and regulations. I filled out the form, and submitted it thinking it would take me to the rules first, do you accept thing. Then I got this, window, saying this program has preformed an illegal action.(maybe I'm running out of memory, or it wanted info.....anyway I didn't know what happen with the application, till I got an e-mail thanking me for my application, and that more info will be in the mail.
So here I sit! I'm already following the program. Jan will be my second round. I figure oh well, what do I have to lose by being enrolled officially. (weight)

Is anybody else entering it??

Nyree.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:50 AM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Goodmorning,

and goodluck to those of you starting a new challenge this morning.

My lower body workout using leg curls and extensions instead of squats and lunges didn't feel as intense this morning. The effects of something new are not immediately apparent.

Have a great day.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:02 AM   #4  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Well, I did it. Igot up this morning at a 5:30 am, got in my sweats and headed to the gym. What a weird workout! I was constantly going for different size weights, I think I started off too heavy on some and not enough on others. I must say however, I can really feel the burn. My shouldres and upper body are very stiff, but in a good way. I do not hurt, just sore! I can not say the first workout was a total success, but sertainly not a failure either. Learn by trial and error. Having a nice warm bowl of Quaker oatmeal with Splenda and cinnnamon.
I go to TOPS too, so tomorrow night I will record my weight starting out as that is my weigh in night and I would rather go by those scales as they are accurate with my doctors. Last week 245lbs. I will not be a slave to the scales, but will continue to go to TOPS as a support group and share BODY FOR LIFE with them. WHo knows maybe I will start a trend!! Or rather a new way of life!
Virginia
Old 11-04-2002, 07:32 AM   #5  

Sounds like you ladies are doing great!

I find journalling either online or in a notebook to be a great help. I haven't kept up my 3FC journal for a while, but I do make little notes of stuff that's going on in my mind in other places. Writing stuff down and working through it in words can really help sort out eating and food issues. Just seeing my thoughts, concerns, worries on paper really helps me to get over stuff.

Congrats, wanttolose!! Getting to the gym is 99% of the battle, in my opinion. Once I'm there, I'm happy to workout but getting out of bed is tough some days. Once you get into the program, you'll figure out quickly which weights will give you a 10, it just takes some fiddling for a while. I'm sure you'll inspire some of the women at TOPS...wait until they start asking you what you're doing...you'll become a walking billboard for BFL!!

Mrs Jim--I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip and that you'll be able to check in with us!!

I spent the weekend at my godson's baptism in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Ate way way too much food and didn't get into the hotel gym like I had planned. I'm not knocking myself up too badly about it, it seems that when I travel, I have no desire whatsoever to workout, especially on highly stressful family trips. How it goes, I guess. It's good to be home and back into the groove.

I'm starting eight weeks of high volume training today, specifically Jeremy Likness's Holistic workouts (Jeremy used to run a very popular website called Peak Physiques, he is a BFL-graduate turned absolutely awesome trainer). The workouts involve three sets of three exercises, the first set is 5 reps at a heavy weight, next set drop the weight by 20% and do twelve reps, next set drop the weight by another 30% and do 42 reps. No rest between those sets, then repeat the whole thing two more times. Yikes. Do you think I'll be feeling it??

I'm debating about when to start my no cardio winter cycle. I used to be a total cardio nut, and still find myself more energized after a good run than after weights (where I'm completely exhausted, but in a good way). So I'm tempted to keep my cardio for my own mental health around the holidays, as I have lots and lots of dinners and parties and family gatherings to attend. This time of year has always been difficult for me, more so because of my dysfunctional family than the food!!

Okay ladies, I have to get off to work, have a great day
Maggie
Old 11-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #6  

Had a really great workout today. I know the BFL book says Cardio every other day but I have been doing it every day except Sundays, but really sticking to the weight lifting part of it. Is this o.k.?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:32 PM   #7  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Nyree: I would stick to the program the way the book outlines it for AT LEAST one challenge. If you are doing the cardio correctly and you did it every day you would either get sick from exhaustion or so worn out that you would want to sleep all the time. If you aren't feeling that way then you most likely aren't doing it the right way.

I do the 20MAS on the treadmill. I walk quickly for my level 5, jog for level 6, jog faster for level 7, run for level 8 and sprint for level 9. When I go for my ten I up the sprint pace slightly so that I get really puffed. By the end of this I am totally spent and could just about fall off the treadmill. The thought of continuing on makes my stomach churn. If you aren't getting that strained then I suspect that you may wish to up the pace.

As for other cardio such as a leisurely ride or walking the dogs etc that's not counted as part of your cardio according to the program but it's what we call part of a healthy lifestyle. I walk my dogs every day for about 20 minutes.

I hope that helps.

Virginia: it's very important to do your weights before your cardio although if you are following BFL by the book you would never do them on the same day. I don't warm up at all before weights because the first set is considered the warm up, but if you wanted to you could do 5 minutes on the treadmill walking I guess. The reason why you do weights first is because weightlifting is for building muscle and thus raising your metabolism. Cardio is for burning fat and improving your lunge capacity etc. Your body holds glycorine in it from food which it uses for energy. When you do exercise your body will burn the glycorine up before it goes for your fat stores at all. It also uses it for building strength and muscle. You need to use the glycorine up via weightlifting so that when you do cardio it efficiently goes straight for the fat stores instead of wasting the glycorine. If you waste it on cardio first - when you go to do you lifting your body has to use fat for energy which is less efficient and thus it won't let you lift as much or as hard as if you let it use the glycorine. If you can't lift as hard then you won't build as much muscle.

I hope that that helps!

JC
Old 11-04-2002, 10:10 PM   #8  
JEC
Aussie and proud

MrsJim: As much as I admire Demi Moore and where she is for her age - I much preferred her physique during GI Jane. She was so cut up in that movie but she still looked sexy. I saw a picture of her shooting the sequel to Charlie's Angels in a magazine the other day and I personally thought she reminded me of Cameron Diaz - who is someone that I DON'T admire. There was one shot of them standing together from behind and you could barely tell the difference between them.

I remember reading about Demi after she finished shooting GI Jane and her saying that although she felt fantastic she couldn't wait to lose all the muscle because it made her weigh too much?! Anyone would think that she walks around with her weight tattoed on her forehead. Who cares how much you weigh if you look incredible?? It never ceases to amaze me...... For the newbies also Pam B weighs about 150 lbs by the way when she is in season ...... Now there is a woman who looks incredible!

JC
Old 11-05-2002, 03:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

LOL

Pam B weighs 150lbs when she is in season??????? Ha Ha Ha!!!

Sorry, I can't stop laughing. I know you mean when she is competing. But .... is she a dog? Or is she being hunted???

No offence intended, Patt (who will probably never be in season).
Old 11-05-2002, 07:59 AM   #10  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default LOL

Patt, that joke reads in Arkansas too. Especially as hunting season is gearing up big time.

Actually, to a big/tall woman such as myself, Pam is an inspiration - don't have to be petite to look fab!

On Demi, I have that mag too. I am learning all the time about body composition. I was amazed to read the captions...."this phase was all protein and iron, this phase less food and pilates...." I have been so body composition unaware - I have a lot to learn. JC I'm with you on Diaz, I just never got what the fuss was all about.

Last two cardio days I have been jogging in the rain. I have good rain gear but I'm ready for a clear cardio day.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:51 AM   #11  

Default General weight training question...

Hi!

I'm not following BFL, but am working out with weights (not as intensively as BFL requires) and have a question about protein. What happens if I'm not eating enough protein but am working out with weights? I don't like meat, so I use eggs, dairy, protein powder, and meat replacement foods for my protein, but I have to admit that I do NOT eat one of those at each meal.

Will the result be that I'm just spinning my wheels, so to speak, and will not be able to gain strength because my muscles aren't being fed with enough protein? Or will I feel stronger/have more energy in the gym if I am eating enough protein?

Right now I lift weights 2-3 times per week, and I feel a bit sore the next day, and less so the day after that. I don't know if that gives you an idea of the intensity of my workouts or not. I don't want to waste my time (although I would not stop going to the gym, regardless of what reply I receive to this post) , but I really can't tolerate a huge amount of meat. My goal is to work in the amount of other protein sources that I need to achieve maximum results for me.

So, to make a long post short, I guess my question really is -
How do I know if I'm eating enough protein?

Thanks for your time, and thanks for keeping this board going!
- Kerry
Old 11-05-2002, 12:56 PM   #12  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Well, I did really well for the mnost part of yesterday but for some terrible reason I ate junk last night. Could not seem to stop. Maybe I am PMSing or something. Also I tend to eat poorly on Monday night anyway, before I go to TOPS on Tuesday. AM I trying to sabatage myself or do I just have to become more disciplined. I do want this and I answered yes to Bill's questions!
Can anyone give me a female role model to follow, who used to weigh around my weight, 245. I need to know what I can do for this body.
Also where can I find a pic of this Pam B person, I keep hearing so much about? I am doing quite well so far today, had a really good cardio workout this morning, either an 8 or 9. More like 9 I think!
Virginia
Old 11-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

hey Wanto

Check this out:http://www.leanandstrong.net/cgi-bin...profile=pam+b.

This is Pam's profile on the L&S web site. I think her beginning weight is the same as yours. There are some pics at the bottom of the profile. Also, on L&S there is a transformation gallery where people have posted their before, during and afters. Very inspiriing. I always take a look when I feel I'm starting to get lazy and it really helps me with my motivation. Except for the dreaded, awful, smelly cardio!!!!! lol

Patt.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:19 PM   #14  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Wow Patt,
That is incredible! She is awesome! Now that is encouraging. To think that someone my size can really look like that in two years. Even if it takes me tree or four, just knowing that I can look like that. WOw! It is all well and good to see these very wise people who decided to do something about their bodies before they get too out of control. But for someone to go from being obese and turning herslf around to look like she does is fantastic.
Thanks Patt for the info, and thanks Pam B for the encouragement!
Virginia
Old 11-05-2002, 03:59 PM   #15  
Mel

Default Hi everyone!

Sorry to be just a lurker for the past few days, but I've been totally swamped at work and home.

Day 2 into new challenge- lost count 4, 4 1/2, 5? doesn't matter. Still got a ways to go..... Boy, those weights were heavy the first day back in the gym! Am I ever sore!

Those of you who want to see role models, also take a look at our own MrsJim- she's about 5'4" and was somewhere in the upper 200's at her highest weight, and now wears a SIZE 4! Karen doesn't compete, so there's no "in season" or "out of season" for her. take a look at her web site for her before pictures and some shots of her in the playspace at l&S for more recent pics.

Also look for "Mina" in the transformation gallery for a truly eye popping BFL experience!

Kerryberry: I'll try to asnwer some of your questions. If you are lifting to failure at the end of your sets, (which is how you're gonna get sore, break down muscle, then rebuild it stronger) you need a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. BFL does this with a "palm/fist" measurement: so there is no weighing of food involved. You eat 1 palm sized piece of protein and one fist size portion of carbs 6 times a day. This doesn't translate real well for non-meat proteins, so you may need to weigh your food and count grams in protein powders to make sure you are getting enough. If you don't feed your muscles, they feed on themselves (catabolic process) and you do end up spinning your wheels or getting fatter while losing weight. Depending on what type of vegetarian you are, it can be easy or near impossible. If you eat cottage cheese, egg whites, and fish, no problem! Even without the fish, I'm sure you can get enough protein. If you only eat vegetable sources of protein, you may have a problem. I don't know enough about various types of vegetarianism or you to give any further advice.

Also, don't let soreness stop you. You are working different muscle groups when you go to the gym, right? Don't work the same muscles within 96 hours. Also, a supplement called glutamine helps with quicker recovery, fights colds and repiratory infections, and is cheap if you buy the big tubs online from netrition.com A tub of EAS L-glutamine lasts me about 5 months for $40 and really helps the soreness go away quicker.

Ok- gotta go vote and take my son shopping,
mel
Closed Thread