General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #1  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

Default laser eye surgery

i am thinking about getting laser eye surgery. if anyone has had it done, i would love to hear from you
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I had it done in March. I've had glasses since I was 8, contacts since I was 11. Without contacts, I couldn't see something a foot in front of me. I'm 20/20 in both eyes now.

The procedure itself (I had Hi-Definition LASIK) wasn't bad at all. At the facility I went to, you could watch the procedure being done on other people on a tv screen (all you could see was the eyeball).

When I had it done, it took maybe 5 minutes. The worst part was all psychological- I HATE having people touch my eyes, even the eye doctor. There wasn't any pain. The doctor put some contraption on my eye to keep me from blinking, which was slightly uncomfortable.

After the surgery, they sent me home with a few different eye drops, and a sleeping pill. For the first day (until my follow up the next morning), during my awake hours, I put 2 or 3 different kinds of drops in my eyes, every two hours. After the follow up appointment, the frequency was reduced to 3 times a day, for 1 week. Then I discontinued one of the drops, and used the others twice a day, for another week. On week three, I was down to just one drop, once a day. I was also given a prescription for Restasis, but my doctor said I could use an over-the-counter eye drop for sensitive eyes (he recommended Systane) for dryness as needed.

At night, for the first 3 nights, I had to sleep with a plastic shield over my eyes, so I wouldn't inadvertently rub them in my sleep. The adhesive on the tape....I think it had cement in it. Took a lot of scrubbing to get off.

For three or four months after the surgery, my vision changed constantly. I would wake up from a nap, and things that were perfectly clear before the nap (like the face of the clock) were a little fuzzy after the nap. Halos at night weren't horrible, but they were definitely noticeable for several months. They've lessened considerably now, but they're not gone.

I hope I've covered everything....if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

My friend got it at age 20 an her eyes have changed and she's back in glasses at age 26.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #4  
Tiff

thanks guys, penmage, if you had it to do over again would you. i'm still very much on the fence here, but i am leaning more towards yes. oh and if you dont mind me asking where did you have yours done. i'm thinking bloomburg eye center in newark ohio. but i dont know cuz pittsburgh is closer for me, but i think i would feel better going with bloomburg....geesh i dunno
Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #5  
No description available.

I had it 5 years ago and I still love it and appreciate it every single day!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I would absolutely do it again! I live in Florida, though. It was the Filutowski Institute. If my eyes change again to the point where I need glasses, I have a "lifetime enhancement" so they'll fix me again.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #7  
Tiff

thanks again everyone i think i'm going to go for it
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I had it done a few years back and would do it again! I was asticmatic (sp) and that part is gone forever! I will soon need reading glasses and may someday need corrective lenses again, but alas it had been well worth the years, lens free! (other than the sunglasses I wear all the time )
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #9  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I had mine done about 3 yrs ago. For me it hurt like **** in my right eye, but I didn't feel a thing in my left eye. My right eye had a complication where they had to go back a few days later and re straighten the flap they cut. That was even more painful!

However, I would do it again and I have no regrets. If my vision changes (I have 20/15), I will get it done again! It's crazy how crisp and clean everything looks! I had mine done with a machine that did not cause halos or sunlight sensitivity. My hubby had his done before that new machine was available, and he has sun sensitivity, so he always wears sun glasses. Not a problem for me though! I highly recommend it, it's well worth it
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #10  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I had mine done in 2005 - it was great. I only had one eye done as the other was almost perfect so there wasn't much point in spending the money.

I had to wear the plastic shield as well at night, but I don't remember having any vision problems. It was fuzzy the day they did it, and slightly the day after, but from the next day onwards, it was perfect and has remained so.

I would have it done again in a second.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I had mine done about ten years ago. I was close to being legally blind and now my vision is better than 20/20. LASIK changed my life. I have really dry eyes and I was never able to tolerate contacts, and I couldn't shower without wearing glasses. Forget about going swimming. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.
Jezlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #12  
Tiff

ok it is settled then! thank you all so much! i am making the appointment!