Alternachicks - Alternachat-November

View Full Version : Alternachat-November

flower
11-02-2002, 08:50 PM
New month-new thread.

I am completely amazed at this thing called winter! I am so used to living in the southern end of NV, that I forgot what 7 degrees feels like. Northern people, places, seasons are so different. I know what 117 is all too well. I am in my dads RV for the time being and the water pump froze. My legs are chapped, my hair is fried. Well, I wanted a change, and that I got. Be careful of what you ask for.

I made shredded beef for home made tacos for dinner tonight. I will try real hard not to go beyond 2 tacos. They are so good, but nothing is worse than undies that waistbands are too tight. I walked today at the park. The boys played football. I can't figure out why we have seagulls here. O-well, they are better than pigions. At the bottom of all the slides, there are ice puddles.

Well, off to go watch a movie and calm everyone down so my aprents can nap. ~flower

Wanttolosealot
11-02-2002, 10:21 PM
It is freakin cold here, and we arehaving a winter snow storm. I kid you not! We can barely see across the street it is snowing and blowing so hard. This is nuts for Nov 2nd. Where did the summer go, I want it back.
Virginia

Wildfire
11-03-2002, 11:16 AM
We had our first snow on Friday, just a squall though, and it was all gone in a few hours. It's been cold since, but it's a nice change after all the heat this summer. Certainly put me in the holiday mood.

Flower, start drinking lots of water! Your skin is really going to need it in the colder weather.

My big news....we bought new mattresses yesterday! Really plush pillow-top Sealy...it was heaven! I've been having problems with my lower back, and I think a lot of it is the cheap mattress set we bought when we first moved here five years ago. We get the new set next Sunday, so I'm not going to sleep until then. :D Now I have to get new sheets with the deeper pocket to fit....oh, and I saw the most beautiful deep purple velour comforter...would be stunning in our screaming violet bedroom. Now if I can just make the switch without hubby noticing...

On the weight loss front, it seems I've gained three pounds. Lack of exercise recently and too many quick meals are the culprits, I'm sure. I'm cutting back on the overtime at work...I don't get paid for it anyway....and I don't care if they don't like it. My life is more important. My job is just that....a job...an 8:00-5:00 job, nothing more. If they want more, they're going to have to pay me. I'm tired of being too tired from work to have a life, never mind a marriage. We work at the same place, so he's just as beat when we get home. This all part of my new year beginning at Samhain. Yep, time for change.

So, back to the food journal, counting points, water, exercise. Hopefully getting a full night's sleep with our new bed, and having time to enjoy life. Doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary, does it?

:wave: hello to everyone!

squeaker
11-03-2002, 11:39 AM
I read this article/advice column in my local paper this morning. I loved it & thought I would share.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021103/1012495.asp

(AFS means Ask First Sunday)

My favorite line is about the line at Dairy Queen. :)

Ruthxxx
11-03-2002, 12:19 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Squeak. I'm taking a long hard look at stuff like that myself.

We got several inches of snow yesterday and today is a gorgeous blue, white and yellow day as some of the trees are still holding onto those leaves. The dogs adore the snow and come in looking like reverse Dalmations. Hershey is getting quite large but still enjoys running in the yard with Lucy.

My diet has sort of gone to pot - so to speak! Right now I am more concerned with this blood sugar crap and the minimal side effects of Metformin than with low carbing. (My doctor does recommend low carb but it's been kind of hard to stick to it. Carbs are a comfort in the cold weather!) I've not had any carbs today because I am off to the Fair Board AGM at noon and there will be a high-carb real "country" meal - mashed potatoes, gravy, Jello salads are all yick to me but I am sure there will be a piece of pecan pie calling my name.

Flower, even my oily skin gets dry in winter. I take Evening Primrose oil capsules and somethiomes break open a Vitamin E capsule and spread it over my face after I've washed but not dried. Works great!

Wantstolosealot and Wildfire, now no crabbing about winter! It happens every year. We are also now due for Indian Summer because we've had a snowfall, a killing frost and an October full moon. Watch for it - coming at a weatherstation near you!

And where the heck IS everybody?

Wildfire
11-03-2002, 04:48 PM
I wasn't crabbing, honest. :no:

squeaker
11-03-2002, 07:02 PM
I was crabbing about the cold the other day :yes:

I know it come severy year, and I like it better then summer heat. I just like the fall and spring and it never seems like enough of it.

Not too much to report over here. I did nothing all day yesterday except pick up some take out food. (fries & a chicken finger sub) :T Today I went into work for an hour & a half this morning, then went to the mall. Got home with 2 phone calls from work, so back in I went for another hour & a half. Still didn't fix everything, but I didn't have any more aswers. They are going to have to call someone else which sucks since I don't like being bugged on the weekend and don't want anyone else called either. I will deal with the rest of it tomorrow. I have a pounding headache too. Had a big bowl of one of my favorite comfort foods - mashed potatoes. Tomorrow is day one of my period so I will not be weighing in this week. Just too depressing. On the up side I got the boy's birthday present already. His birthday is at the end of the month.

Off to watch some bad TV and maybe even crash for the night.

:mouse:squeak

mauvaisroux
11-03-2002, 08:11 PM
Evening everyone:wave:

I had a great weekend! :D On Friday night DH and I put up the new curtains in the livingroom-they look great and keep out the light from the parking lot behind our building, yeah! Now I will be able to sleep better:cloud9:

We went to the Food and Wine show this weekend and pigged out on Indian food, Taiwan spring rolls & meatballs, buffalo and wild boar dishes, taste bites of exotic foods and cheeses, and finished off with Tiramisu with a Screech topping.:T In between we tasted various beers, wines and ports from different countries.
We also kept running into people we hadn't seen in a while. It was like going to a giant cocktail party, we had so much fun!

Squeak-what did you get the boy for his birthday? Is he coming up to see you then? Thanks for sharing that article:)

Ruthxxx-I know what you mean about carbs being a comfort food in the winter! I love eating Irish stew but it has potatos and carrots in it which are taboo on the SS diet which I am trying to follow. Do the evening primrose oil capsules really work? I was looking at them in the drugstore the other week and I know they have been a staple in Britain for years but I wasn't sure if I should try them or not.

Flower-my skin is normal but gets really dry on my cheeks and around my nose in the winter. I am not sure if you have a company called Yves Rocher in the US but they make a product called "cold comfort cream" designed for cold weather skin symptoms and it works really well for me.

Wildfire-you are doing the right thing for yourself. It is not worth it if your your health, mental well being and marriage and suffering because of your job. Good luck with your Samhain resolutions :lucky:

flower
11-03-2002, 08:49 PM
Squeaker-I love chicken finger subs!!!!

I am trying to be brave and join the local chapter of TOPS. They are having an open house on Friday morning. I figure it would be a good way to meet people and I know it would help with thw diet isolation I currently have. No one seems to care that we are all are putting a major layer a fat on for the holidays! I went to the store and got diet soda, since everyone drinks 4-6 of them a day here. I can not do that! They are bad influences. So, I like the competetive edge so I think joining TOPS will be good for me. I got rid of my fat clothes and I am not buying new ones!

~flower

mauvaisroux
11-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Go for it flower! :flow1: Joining a group will get you out of the house and meet some new people who are trying to lose too. I think it may be a big help for you. :lucky: Good luck!

squeaker
11-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Flower - Got to TOPS it should be good for you. I can't believe you have chicken finger subs too. It doesn't seem to be a common thing everywhere. Ours comes with wing sauce in hot, medium or mild, on them too if you want. And blue cheese but normally I don't get that on it.

Mauvais - I like your giant cocktail party. Sounds like fun! lots of different food too. Very niffty.

I got the boy vanilla scented massage oil and this wooden massage thingy (It came with the oil). And I made him this cute little dragon in my ceramics class. I told him I got his present already and he asked if it was something we could show his parents, I told him unfortunately yes. :lol: I am driving to his mom's in Ohio. (about 4 hrs away) He is driving back from CA that week and will be back on Thanksgiving. I am driving down there the day after and spending the weekend. It should be fun. I have never been to his mom's. I met her once, but that was over a year ago, he was in and out of the hospital so I got to talk to her alot. She is really nice and likes me so I am not too nervous. :eek: He invited me for Thanksgiving but it is a big deal in my family so I said no.

Ruthxxx
11-04-2002, 09:49 AM
Good morning, Alternachicks.

I hate to mention it but it's snowing! I guess I may as well give up and buy boots. I got through most of last winter in my garden clogs - also slipped and broke my arm so....how smart was that!

Two weeks from today, I'll be in Vancouver! Aaaarrrgggghhhh! I have a ton of stuff to do before then because I get the other wrist operation the end of this month. This may be a gift certificate Christmas!

Wonderful Gail arrives soon to clean. I still need to horse the bins of summer clothes into the storage area. However, my tall and strong pal Rob is coming over this a.m. so I may stall until then and just look helpless. Anybody else take Helpless 101?

The meeting yesterday was boring and the food was as crappy as expected. I was going to indulge in pecan pie but there was none! Took blueberry instead which was canned filling! Yick! I will be doing a few more treasurer's duties this week as the new Treasurer is going deer hunting!!!! She is out of work since August and is planning to fill her freezer for the winter. She hunts with some other women who are going to give her their deer! Now there's a support group! Obviously these women never took Helpless 101!

Oh Mauvais, I so envy you the Food and Wine Show. We used to go all the time in another incarnation. I am getting twitchy for a visit to civilization - Sears in Kingston just won't cut it! I need the NAC, Les Halles in Montreal, Holt Renfrew! OMG! I'm turning into my sister - who leaves for Brazil tomorrow, by the way. It's a business trip to a Literacy Conference but I'm still envious.

I really must get going. Lucy has just grabbed the mouse and should not even be in this part of the house. I'd better check that the wastepaper baskets still have contents!

Have a happy Monday!

ellis
11-04-2002, 07:41 PM
MAUVAIS!!! Food and Wine Show!? Where was that? It must have been fabulous!

Squeak, good gift for the boy. Ummm, you're going to be the one giving the massage, right? Not his mother? :D

Ruth, you're always gadding about. Lucky girl. :D
I suppose if I were starving I could shoot a deer. Maybe... :(
There are actually a lot of people I would shoot before I'd shoot a deer.
Forget the gift certificate. Forget your wrist. I want a pineapple cake. :yes:
I can't believe you... Helpless 101. You wimp! You faker! I have a hammer growing out of one hand and a screwdriver out of the other. No man is going to show ME up!!

I just had an amazingly productive day. Cleaned, tidied, did laundry, wrote, made a real dinner, started some Christmas crafts... I'm just a friggin' whirlwind, I tell ya.
A far cry from my usual day... coffee, lunch, a nap, one load of laundry and dinner out of a box. :D

squeaker
11-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Woo hoo Ellis on the productive day! Next time you plan on having one of those can you come clean my house??? ;)
And if things turn out right, *I * am the one that will be getting the massage :D

Ruthxxx - Helpless 101 is sometimes my favorite. I don't always like using it, but it sure is nice at times. What are you doing in Vancouver??

ellis
11-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Squeak..... hahahahahahaha! I should have known! You sly fox, you. :lol:

Wildfire
11-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Geez, ellis...you've done a week's worth of stuff and it's only Monday. Take the rest of the week off!

Ruth, blueberry pie (especially canned) just doesn't compare to pecan pie. Even bad pecan pie. Hey, can I borrow Gail? I just don't seem to be getting ahead of the cleaning here.

Mauvais, that sounds like a wonderful afternoon! And you probably burned off calories meandering from one vendor to the next! Thanks for agreeing with me, btw....now I'm convinced. :D

Flower, TOPS can be good, if you find a good group. Definitely worth going to see, and I believe it's free, isn't it?

Squeaker, thanks for the link. I was reading it, agreeing wholeheartedly....I know exactly what to do, it's the doing that's tough! Good luck on the massage!

I'm trying really, really hard to fight this :censored: cold off. I've guzzled so much liquid my back teeth have been floating all day, and I popped so much echinacea it was like I was on speed at bowling tonight. I bowled a 251 ! A 251! Then the second game I bowled a 246! And the third I bowled a 214! There was talk of a drug test....from the men I bowl with. They didn't like having the crap beat out of them by a woman! :cb: :dance: :dancer: :high: :twirly: Don't mind me....I'm delirious and going to bed now.

mauvaisroux
11-04-2002, 10:59 PM
Evening Fab Femmes :D

Ellis-where the heck did you get all that energy-I want some too!
Sheesh! Christmas crafts even! the food and wine show was at the Congress Center. It ran from Nov1 to 3rd. They have one every year around the same time. There is also a vintage clothing sale around the end of November at the Chateau Laurier which I am hoping to get to as well.

Ruthxxx-ewww! Canned blueberry pie :p I can take canned cherry but there is something not right with canned blueberry pie filling! Go buy some boots girl! The last thing you need is to fall and break a wrist :nono:

Wildfire-:lol: on the bowling story! Hope you are feeling better tonight.

Squeaker- :chin: hmmm that sounds like a present for you too...;)

dentrassi
11-04-2002, 11:42 PM
WOW!!! Sounds like you are all full of energy and having fun!!! I am having a rough time right now. Every time I think things are slowing down I get hit with something else. BLECH!!!

Squeak-Thanks for the article! I especially like the line about giving up cauliflower and eating skittles!!!! "But I followed the instructions...Why aren't i losing weight?"

squeaker
11-05-2002, 08:00 AM
Yes I am a evil, evil chickie. :devil: What better then to give him a present I will enjoy also.

And I am with ya on the Skittles thing Den. I really liked the article when I read it, and thought you girls would appreciate it also.

ellis
11-05-2002, 08:03 AM
Den, you're back! We've missed you, hon. I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. What can we do for you? :grouphug:

Mauvais, I've been to the vintage clothing sale. It's a hoot. Pricey, though. I must remember to hit the food and wine show next year. Den, want to come down and join us? :D

Wildfire, I did as much yesterday as I've done in about the last 8 months, so it's really about time I got some stuff done around the house. It was starting to look like a dumpster in here. I MAY even have energy today to do some more. :yes:
How's your cold, hon? You're doing all the right things. Except I notice you're not taking my prescribed cider vinegar. :p
And congrats on the bowling scores! Good grief! You're amazing, woman!!

Hi everyone else. :wave: I'm going to get my contacts in and look for something attractive to wear. (HA!) I'm feeling very crappy today, and if I look in the mirror and see an Ellis with glasses on, 3 chins and an ugly fat outfit, I'm going to be VERY depressed.

:dance: (Ellis cleaning)

Ruthxxx
11-05-2002, 10:02 AM
OMG, Ellis! Are you nuts? Never mind answering that. I get those days sometimes and Harry just steps back from the whirlwind and lets me go to it.

I have absolutely nothing I HAVE to do today. What a great feeling. Maybe I'll spend the day reading and cuddling the dogs.
Gail did the whole house yesterday and things look great. She is taking some holidays this month and won't be here for a while. I hope I can remember how to run the vacuum cleaner.

Look at the bowling scores! They kind of look like my golf scores! Echinacea must do it, Wildfire. I also take mega-doses of C when I am "with cold" - you pee away the extra and I do think it helps.

Squeak, I'm flying to Van on the 16th. I'll visit a friend on SUnday, fly to Nanaimo Monday morning and visit my daughter and her family until Wednesday. The home I go. I really would like to be away longer but can't really leave Harry for more than a few days. He reverts to caveman without my influence. :lol:

Dentrassi, I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Sometimes it feels like we just keep hitting The Wall! You know you can come in here and vent.

Gee, Flower. I've been thinking of joining TOPS as I am really sick of the rigidity of the WW cult. However, the meetings are a half hour drive (country roads) and night and winter are not a good combo. Let us know how your into meeting goes.

Mauvais, I've been to that vintage clothing show. Wonderful stuff! Save your pennies and be sure to buy something elegant. As I've met you, I know you have the style to wear that stuff.

Whoops! Nearly nine - I need to look like I plan to do something so had better get out of the robe and slippers and try to look competent.

:grouphug:

flower
11-07-2002, 04:28 PM
I need some good vibes. I took the more scary road and made an offer on a different house yesterday. It is structually sound, but needs some TLC. But it could be something I could be very proud of. I offered 5 thousand less than the asking price. They can counter...or I could have insulted them. But the house has been on the market for over a year and one sale fell thru already. They don't live here, they have til tomorrow at 5 to respond. I am a ball of nerves. I feel good about this house. So, think good thoughts for me k? I feel slightly guilty turning down my step moms house she had origionally bought for an ivestment thinking I would like it. I do like it but I don't want to landscape a whole acre. I want less stress not more. Besides... I don't love her house and for the same price, I can get something else with personality. So, I was brave and said I was sorry but I changed my mind. Good news, my house should be completely sold with a check in my hand by the end of next week! Yipee!!!! I will have to cohabitate thru Xmas, but I can handle that right? ~flower

mauvaisroux
11-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Just a flyby post to wish you good house buying vibes flower :goodvibes:

Sojourner
11-08-2002, 02:28 AM
Get this... I just found this huge error in my checkbook. So since I haven't balanced my check book in like three plus months, I figure I better plod through the disaster that is my check register. Unbelievably, I discovered that I forgot to record a $1,500 deposit!! And its not like I make a ton of money that its easy to miss that sort of cash. I happened to have three $1,500 payments come through (I am a self-employed consultant) within a few weeks and I actually forgot to record one in my check register. Here we have been short on money for the last few months and there was actually an extra $1,500 sitting there the WHOLE TIME!! I can hardly believe it. For about three hours I was convinced that the bank made a mistake. But after cross-checking my billings with my bank statement and balancing the check book, sure enough... I'm losing my mind but happily am $1,500 richer. Obviously I am not an accountant.

:dizzy:

Wanttolosealot
11-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Sojo,
Your pic came up as a bad request. Can not find that page. I would love to see it though. SO glad you have found lost money. That is great! Chat soon
Virginia

MrsM95
11-08-2002, 09:40 AM
WOW SoJo what a nice find!! I tried to check out your pictures and i couldn't get them to work either.

Flower - :goodvibes here are some good house buying vibes, hope your offer is excepted. Hubby and i are trying to decide if we want to put a bid in on a house we have been looking at for over a year (They Lowered the price over $25,000 last week)

I hope everyone has had a good week and has a wonderfull weekend.
MrsM95:wave:

Sojourner
11-08-2002, 12:09 PM
I can't get the link to work so I deleted the post. I'll try again tonight.

:(

Ruthxxx
11-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Hey, good stuff happening in here for a change! House deals and money appearing like magic. I'm impressed!

Just back from Lucy's Obedience Graduation - we both made it through! Now I'll have my Friday mornings back until the next course!

Gorgeous day and very mild so we three are off for a walk. Hershey looks like a fur-covered beer barrel, Lucy looks quite elegant (see avatar) and I'm gonna be the denim barrel rolling along behind. When you have two dogs on a double lead, you just have to keep rolling along so it doesn't look as if they are in control!

Will be back later and get some sewing done if my sewingroom ever warms up!

TGIF!

soozie
11-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey here you all are...hi girls...sorry I've been away...I did stop into the lesbi thread a couple of times this week but it looks like this is where the action is...I've been going to the gym regularly and I'm starting to lose weight....holy moly batman...how could that happen...but, don't worry...I've only lost seven and I have between 40 and 60 more pounds to lose depending on how you look at it...so, I'll be a fat chick for quite awhile...and will be here with all of you...(well I've lost 7 since September 20th and I lost some before that so my total loss since my highest weight is 15 pounds...how cool is that!)

Love, Soozie

soozie
11-08-2002, 04:37 PM
and one more thing...
hey...one of you chickies gave me a nasty cold!
and we're leaving for Disney World on November 13th...
but, I bought my earplanes and Afrin...a client of mine who
is a doctor recommended Afrin before I get on the airplane...
later dudettes,
Soozie

flower
11-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Well, I am going to have to pay close to full price for the house. I like it enough to do that. I ran comps and it is still a good business deal. I did stipulate that I have 2 hours without the tenants to go thru the house with a fine tooth comb. My dad and I have a copy of the inspection done a few months ago. They say the repairs were done. I want to make sure.

I went to the TOPS meeting this morning. These ladies were older than my grandparents. They were sweet but I was so out of place. But I checked it out like I promised myself! It isn't for me, but I wouldn't of known unless I tried!

~flower

barefootgrrrl
11-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Flower - got my fingers crossed for you on the house! I don't remember which part of Nevada you said you lived in.......but if it's near LV....I thought I heard that prices have been rising there fast over the past couple years.

We're going to start looking in a couple weeks...and I dread it. I mean it's fun to look, but the prices make me feel faint. They're not going down, so all we can do is take advantage of the low interest rates and the fact that this is a slower time of year for real estate sales. ( Eek, maybe I should just go ahead and order up some pain pills now?)

Ruth......hope you enjoy your trip. Nanaimo? Are the famous Canadian cookie bars named after that town?

:lol:

Soozie - enjoy Disney! it's so much fun. PS - what is Afrin?

Sojo - can you come over and do my books and find me extra money too? sounds like you have a lucky star hovering over you right now :)

Love all, Terri

flower
11-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Barefoot girl-I just sold a place near LV. I made 29 thousand on the house in 5 years. The house was in a non growing neighborhood. It was a 60 year old home. And I am putting it all {$} into a more expensive house so I can still have the same house payment! :) With interest rates so low, I will be paying basically the same. I can pay off my cc, have money for improvements and a small nest egg. This town is an hour outside of Reno. 4 hours east of Sacramento.

Yes, house hunting is fun...at first. Then it becomes a chore. I am so hoping my final loan approval goes thru without a hitch. Then I get to worry about apprasials inspections ect. But the hard part is over and the pantry will not be my best friend anymore! I will totally feel your pain when you start. Keep your eyes wide open. And take a notepad with you to jot down notes. They all blur together after awhile! ~flower

Wildfire
11-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Flower, got my fingers crossed for you on the house! Too bad the TOPS didn't work out.

Hiya Dentrassi! :wave: Nice to see you again!

Ellis, I did think about the cider vinegar remedy....but I just don't think I could swallow it! Thankfully, the echinacea and liquids caught it in time and I never had a full-blown cold.

WOW, Sojo...nice find! Unfortunately, I am an accountant....and I know where every last penny is.

Whatcha sewing, Ruth?

I'm waiting for a call from the delivery guys from Sleep Country to let me know when they are arriving today. I get my new mattresses today! :dancer: I'm exhausted from all the cleaning I did yesterday, though....geez it builds up when you ignore it for a few weeks!

dentrassi
11-10-2002, 12:27 PM
HI ALL!!!!

Wildfire-LUCKY YOU!!! Last time around we bought a (too) cheap futon, and now it feels like we are sleeping directly on the slats!!! I can't wait until we save up enough to get a decent replacement!! I can relate about the clean-up too!! Our house is a MESS right now. DH is on overload at work, so is correcting papers whenever he is home.....the kids have to be strong-armed into helping.....so guess who it is who winds up (NOT) doing the work?

Flower and Barefoot-Good luck on the house (and house hunting)!!! We moved 3 years ago, and you are right. It is fun and it is torture, and everything in between!!!

Soozie-Hope you all have a great time!!! I know your DD is going to love it!!
When we went my DH bought Eeyore ears and wore them ALL DAY!!! Imagine a 6 foot tall, long haired, bearded skinny guy with Eeyore ears and you see what I deal with on a daily basis!!! (He wore them to teach in on Halloween this year!!) Oops....We went to Disneyland....you know, I can't keep 'em straight!!! (I go nuts in crowds personally, but our now 12 year old LOVED it!!) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK WITH THE WEIGHT LOSS AND EXERCISE!!!!!! You have been doing a GREAT job!!!

Ruth-What ARE you sewing? Seems like you are aleways baking and sewing and doing all kinds of great things!!! No *****y drawers in obedience classes this time?

Sojo-Come balance MY checkbook!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! (I usually forget the WITHDRAWALS!!!)

Ellis-Hey sweet cheeks....feeling any better?

Ruthxxx
11-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Hey, Den - my sewing is NOT exciting these days! I am mainly shortening pants. Don't you just hate being short.

I also bought a suede-look shirt juacket that I love but the sleeves are too long. Naturally the sleeves are the cuff kind - a ***** to shorten. I am seriously considering shortening the thing with a welt seam. There are other seams like that so it might work.

I want to make a furry robe for my grand daughter but probably won't get at it as I go away next weekend and have my wrist operation shortly after I get home. Maybe next year.

Sooz, I wish I was going along to Disney. I loved it but have never had the pleasure of taking a child there - except for old Harry who kept exclaiming "There's Goofy!" "There's Mickey!" and insisted on taking me on the Thunder mOuntain Railway!

Feeling kind of rotten today for some reason so am going to crawl into my bed with my book and maybe doze off. Raining like **** anyhow!

dentrassi
11-10-2002, 11:13 PM
HEY RUTH!!! YOU TWO CALL IT THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILWAY?
oops.....how rude of me! See, I even blushed!!!
YOU are one of those "fancy" short people...I don't bother shortening anything, just walk around tripping on it. And cuffs? I "fashionably" roll or fold them back!! (what the heck is a welt seam?) Actually, I wish I had your skill as a seamstress.

When is the surgery on your other wrist? I remember that you postponed it, but not the new date. Is your other wrist healed yet?

squeaker
11-10-2002, 11:51 PM
:lol: You're funny Den!

Ruthxxx - I am also very impressed with your sewing knowledge. What the **** is a welt seam????

Wildfire - Are you still asleep on the wonderful new bed? ;)

Flower - Good Luck on the house. It sounds pretty cool.

Terri - Good luck on the house hunting!

Soozie - Have fun in Disneyworld! Give Tigger, Buzz & Woody a hug for me. And Jack (from Nightmare before Christmas) if he is there too. :)

:wave: Hi everyone!!

Punkinseed
11-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Howdy strangers! :wave:

I've been busy on another thread and basically ignoring my eating. So, I'm going back to swimming in different threads and rubbing all your good healthy habits on me - maybe they'll take...

Sojo - What an incredible find!!!! Being the obnoxiously money conscious Capricorn, I balance my checkbook to the penny every month - no fun surprises like yours when you do that though!

Soozie - Feel better!! Yes, I'd do the Afrin (you may want to dilute it with some saline to ease any rebound stuffy-ness) and a decongestant. I've heard horror stories of people flying with head colds. Give Tigger a kiss for me!

Flower and Terri - Enjoy the house hunting! Yea it's a pain, but there's nothing that compares to the feeling of "it's mine, all mine!!! Muaahahahahaaha".
A year later I'm still in love with my house and amazed that it's been mine a year already! Matter of fact I just got my first property tax bill and it was almost $500 less than the real estate agent said it would be!! :cb:

Well, I missed you all bunches and promise to be here, annoying you all, more than I have been ;)

Terri

Wanttolosealot
11-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Glad your back Punkinseed!
We missed you!
Virginia

flower
11-11-2002, 10:58 PM
I had the worst gall bladder attack last night. I thought it was a lactose thing so I took more than the recomended dose of gas-x. Nothing touched the pressure!!!! 4 hours later after burbing, pacing and crying, I passed out. 2 hours later I woke up with the worst acid reflux of my life!!!! I cried for another hour. Nothing helped, even baking soda wouldn't take the burn out!!! I completely scorched my throat. I felt like I had dry heeved all night. So I ended up sleeping in a lazy boy recliner. So...no more sweets, fats or dairy for a few days. I have had bland foods all day. I am hungry. Nothing like dropping a 1000 calories in 24 hours to annoy your tummy. But no amount of tasty vittles is worth last nights pain. I learned my lesson and I am going to behave!!!

On a less serious note, my sm made 2 casseroles for us this week. I felt so bad serving this to my children. I gave them a small platter of the worst one since my parents are out of town for the night. I served this a hodgepotch of other tidbits too. I tossed at least a 1/2 down the garbage disposal, so it would look like they ate it. They are major food cops...but I can't make my kids eat something I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! I can not wait for New Years so I am in my own kitchen. Sure it is great not paying for stuff, but I think freedom is worth every penny!!!!! I am going to have to cook more often. SM gets to the kitchen before me each day. UGH! Owell-2 more months won't kill me. Plus my kids will appreciate me so much more when we move.

ellis
11-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Oh, Flower... you poor girl. I'm so sorry about your attack. :(
You'll definitely drop the weight fast if you think of THAT attack everytime you look at your plate!
Your SM sounds like the cook from ****. :D

Terri darling... welcome back! :wave:

squeaker
11-12-2002, 08:54 AM
Flower - that sounds awful. :( Hope you are feeling better.

What does SM stand for? I KNOW it isn't the first thing that popped into my head...

flower
11-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Step mom! Anyways, she isn't a bad cook, she just forgets that children do not like the same things children do. She fries everything, uses low fat nothing, and everything is just plain different than what I cook. My children are picky as it comes to onions, beets, mushrooms, squash. But they do eat veggies at every dinner. Just not the strong ones.

My stomach is still queasy. I am trying to figure out what to eat for breakfast. I had so many tums yesterday. My heartburn and saliva production are out of control! But I gotta get better if I eat good.

Punkin-the property bills here are way more than in the southern part of NV. It was a shock. But we don't have big casinos up here to help pay for everything. Someone must pay for the schools and roads ect. Congrats on a free 500$! ~flower

OI812
11-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Good day everyone.
I'm here to report that I am having a great op day! And I'm thoroughly happy with myself. Now if I could just figure out what exercise to do I'll be all set!

Flower--I too will be house hunting come next spring. Dh and I are stowing away $1000 a month into our savings account for our down payment. And we calculated that we should have enough saved upby spring.

I have a funeral to go to on Thursday. My Great-Grandma passed away on Sunday. Her bday would of been Dec 26 and she would of been 99 yrs. My Great Grandpa passed away 7 yrs earlier and he was 95. If he was living today, they would of celebrated their 79th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday, the day my Great-Grandma died. Sad in a way, but happy knowing that she waited to that special day to be with Great-Grandpa again.

And of course there is the beloved count down till I get my teeth done. Which is now 3 days. And I'm getting more nervous and more scared as the day approaches. I have no idea what to expect. I've never been "put to sleep" before and I have no idea how much pain I'm going to be in afterwards. I'll just pray that everthing goes as planned with no complications during or after the surgery.

Have any of you got your xmas decorations up yet? I'm hoping that I won't be in too much pain on Saturday and that I'll be able to decorate with the kids then. I'm so excited! I love putting up the decorations. Have some xmas music playing while I'm doing it and it puts me in such a good mood!

I'm off to post in the food journal thread and then I'm going to take a long hot bath before Dr. Phil comes on.

Talk to you all later and I hope you all are having a great op day!

Kelly

OI812
11-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Oh, one more thing. I forget to ask if any of you know how many calories are in a medium sized clementine? You know what I'm talking about. Those little "seedless oranges" that usually come out this time of year and you buy them in a little crate.
If any of you know, post the calorie amount for me so I can fix my journal. I have counted them as 73 calories.

Thanks for your help
Kelly

ellis
11-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Kelly, I'm so sorry about your great-grandma. How fortunate you were to have had her for so long. Hugs, sweetie...

Nope... not putting the decorations up until Dec 1st. :D

squeaker
11-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Sorry about your great grandma Kelly. It was sad but sweet she passed away on thier anniversary. *hugs*

And definately no Christmas decorations until Dec. If you are really antsy - Nov. 29th - the day after Thanksgiving and Santa in the Macy's parade.

mauvaisroux
11-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Kelly-Sorry to hear about your Great Grandma, she had a good long life and is now with your Great Grandpa:grouphug:

Wanttolosealot
11-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Kelly,
Sorry about you Great Grandmas passing, but wow what a life she must have had, and the changes she would have lived through, that is incredible. Will be thinking of you especially tomorrow.
Hugs
Virginia

flower
11-13-2002, 12:03 PM
Kelly-hugs to you and your family, it is harder on you guys than it was on her. She has her life back now, no longer a prisioner in an old body. {{{HUGS}}}

Punkin-I just wanted to share this with you. 2 monthes before we moved I found out that our Jack Demseys were not all males. We had 2 "litters" of babies before we moved. We moved them all up here. They were inconvienced in a car for over 12 hours. Then moved to a much smaller tank. We had 2 suckie fish and a catfish in there too. Unfortunately last week when it kept getting down to 7 all week, we found the larger Jack and the humungous Suckie dead. They were used to a tank at an average of 85, even with the heater I could only get it to 70 in the day. (We had to keep them in the shop, not my parents house) My bf was devestated. Well, the tank got ick and all died except the momma Jack (jackie) and the smallest suckie. We brought them inside and put them in a tiny tank we could keep in the bathroom. Well Jackie got mad last night and tried to escape. I went in to go potty and she wasn't in the tank and the lid was off. I found her behind the tank. Well, we have had this happen with our sharks and another Jack a long while ago. BF went and rinsed her off and she was still breathing. She layed on the bottom gulping air for a few hours, but today she is swimming around wonderfully. I don't know how long she was out for. My last Jack who did this survived 3 days after his adventure. Anyways, just wanted to share and I think of you each time I find a new mishap in our tank. I can't believe we went from a 55 gallon tank filled to the brim w/ fish to 2 fish in 2 months! UGH!!! I know you still miss your pirahhana!

Last night I had preparred my children for the casserole that I knew we were gonna have. My SM tried it for lunch and she said it didn't turn out very well, so she put it back in the fridge and we got burritos instead! My family was soooo happy! :)

We did the inspection on the house yesterday. My dad found a few things that need to be addressed. I will have to decide what to do if they won't budge on their side. The things won't cost me THAT much money. I really like the house, yet, I think they should have some flexibility. {{{FAITH}}} Gotta keep thinking good thoughts.

Well, off I go to think of my thankful list. ~flower

mauvaisroux
11-15-2002, 05:06 PM
Hey Flower :flow1: any news on the house yet?

flower
11-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Well, I got the house. I sold mine. My $ should be in my account Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning! I am now waiting for my loan guy to tell me if the loan comittee is granting me the loan for this property. I am on pins and needles. That info should be available on Monday afternoon/Tuesday morning too. Then I need to schedule the apprasial and we can give the tenants their 30 day notice to get out. I feel bad being Christmas and all, but they know it was on the market and they know I made an offer. So, they will probably get out sometime between Xmas and New Years Eve. They don't have a lot of stuff. They just have to replace a few things their dog ruined. (Nothing so bad that I wouldn't want the house). I have a magick/meditation room in this house (A wierd 2nd closet on the north side of the bedroom with a window and no shelves or rods) and I have a craft house in back. I have my own master suite upstairs with a nitche for my computer. BF has his garage to tinker with cars and toys and tools. He can hang all his movie posters up and I will try not to complain. :) My SM doesn't seem to be bitter that I didn't buy her property. I am so relieved. Now I just have to wait patiently for the holidays to be done with so I can have my own stuff again. Do you know what I miss most? Well, besides eatting my food. I miss my bed. I miss sleeping naked!!!! I hate being tangled all night long! ~flower

ellis
11-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Flower, your house sounds PERFECT! I'm so happy for you. :)

dentrassi
11-16-2002, 09:51 PM
SOUNDS GREAT FLOWER!!!!

cheez
11-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Hey, Flower:

Some close friends of ourse just moved from Napa Valley to Dayton, NV. Sounds like it must be close to where you'll be.

I haven't been there, I have been to Carson City, Reno, Tahoe, and LV areas. Good luck!

Wildfire
11-17-2002, 10:43 AM
:dancer: Whoo hooo Flower! The house sounds perfect! Will keep my :crossed: until the money is in your account and the last paper is signed!

flower
11-17-2002, 02:53 PM
Cheez-If I could only afford Dayton. I love it there. It is about 40 minutes away. I looked thru the neighborhoods and gosh-they are pretty! That suburb is right outside Carson City.

Thanks for the well wishes. I can not wait to be in it!!! Me and my stuff. It is amazing how much calmer things are when you are surrounded by your memories. I could never live out of a suitcase for a long time!

Well, I am off to Walmart for diapers and then to some garden centers for ideas for my yard. The boys want to know what I want for the holidays. :) ~flower