100 lb. Club - Halloween candy

View Full Version : Halloween candy

time2lose
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I was just wondering how everyone is dealing with Halloween candy. It seems that it is everywhere I go, store, work, and, now, at home. DH and I bought our candy for Trick or Treaters last Sunday. When we got home, I told him to put it somewhere that I would not see it.

I have not eaten one piece! I was tempted when it came into the house, but I know that if I eat one piece, I will either eat many pieces or struggle to resist. Right now, it is easy and I am not struggling. Why would I want to start craving the stuff? It is so much easier to not start.

How is everyone else doing with the candy?

kateleestar
10-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I had one kitkat last night. I'm smack dab in the middle of TOM, and it was that or punch my husband, lol. I counted it in my calories, too, and didnt go over! Woo.

katy trail
10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
we haven't gotten any yet. hopefully, we will get kinds that i hate. many of the ones with a strong artificial smell. it will be tempting to eat some of the kids candy, if we go this year. probably will. i need to stay away from the kit kat!

KatMarie
10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't have kids and we live in the country, so no trick or treaters. I was in Sams yesterday and they had these HUGE bags of candy everywhere! I'm one of those who can't eat any candy...if I did, I'd just keep eating it. I'm just not to the point yet that I can trust myself with it. So, I chew a piece of gum when I'm feeling crazy temptations. Extra has this sugar free gum out now that tastes like dessert for 5 calories. The chocolate mint gum is so yummy! Tastes just like one of those chocolate mints. Mmmm. Stops my candy craving. They also have it in strawberry shortcake and key lime pie. Stay strong...just say no to candy!

katy trail
10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
lol! so funny. both of us having a weakness for kit kat and posting at the same time.

i also have to remind myself the reasons it's not worth it. if i am having some i had better go w/o right then. i always say i will later that day, and i just lay around. plus, when i resist i feel so proud of myself.
at Easter, we went to mil's of course the candy dish was there. i was proud i didn't eat any :)

time2lose
10-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Katy trail originally posted we will get kinds that i hate

That is a great strategy! I told DH, "No Reece's Peanut Butter cups!" Even smelling them will drive me crazy. :)

KatMarie
10-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey, getting candy you don't like IS a great idea! For me having stuff like Skittles or Starbursts around wouldn't tempt me in the slightest. Anything chocolatly though....

TooManyDimples
10-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not going to buy ours until Friday,which is when the kids here will be trick or treating. Whatever I get will be non-chocolate. The hard part will be not wanting some of what my daughter brings home.

Beverlyjoy
10-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I usually get the candy right before the Trick or Treat time. Mostly it's things I don't like and the last person of the night gets whatever is left.

I sometimes give pencils or stickers. DH says that it's just 'not right'. LOL But, actually the kids are excited about them usually.

Gale02
10-26-2010, 11:30 AM
We bought all chocolate for Halloween candy. Now, I love chocolate, but I'm breastfeeding and can't have any. I know, beyond a doubt, that it's simply not worth it so it turns the chocolate into a non issue.

In the past we've tried to buy candy I don't like, but the problem is I pretty much just like candy! :/

ANewCreation
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Last year was my first year 'off' the candy--lol! I had great success by simply walking past the bowl and saying to myself 'You don't need that. That's not for you.' Or saying something similar to myself. I ended up brainwashing myself and whenever I passed the bowl that phrase would pop into my head, even as I found my hand moving towards the bowl (and then pulling my hand back). Maybe weird, but it really worked and I didn't even have one piece of candy, and like Beverlyjoy, when I was done handing out candy the last kiddo got all of my bowl ;)

I have my candy tucked away and I have actually had it for about a month. Not one bag has been opened. Since I've been at this awhile, I can honestly say that even what I once considered the good stuff isn't actually good enough for me to spend my calories on anymore.

Now, if I were handing out Godiva.....that would be a whole 'nother story ;)

beerab
10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm not buying any until this weekend. If I did buy it earlier I'd pick candy that I don't like lol.

sailyn
10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I ate the pretty much the whole bag of snack size skittles someone sent my daughter :( For trick-or-treaters I buy candy I don't like so I'm not tempted to sneak it and then once my daughter goes trick-or-treating I can resist the candy until its gone (like last year) BUT if I have just ONE piece, it's all over! As far as buying it, I don't have THAT much of a sweat tooth so it's somewhat easy for me to walk past it.

Kismet89
10-26-2010, 01:17 PM
We don't have any in the house. I'm buying tomorrow and plan to buy some I don't really love (probably no chocolate at my house this year...sorry Trick or Treaters!). I also only plan to buy 2 bags. When they are gone, they are gone.

EvilGidget
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I cannot even go there. I am a candy junky... my old way of life... eating a king size hershey bar and a whole king size box of gobstoppers EVERY night while sitting watching TV.

If I have 1 piece.... it will all be over. I haven't walked and worked out and watched calories this long to just let it be thrown all away and start all over again.... nope... not gonna touch it!

shannonmb
10-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I have been giving this some thought. We are a trick or treat family, we all get into it. I cook a special dinner, one of my late gramma's specialties, have family over, my husband hooks up the stereo in the garage so we can have scary Omen music playing, we put a graveyard up in the yard, dress up the doggies, and we hand out THE BEST candy! Trick or Treat is a major celebration for us!! Woo WOO!!! :haphal::sklol::witch2::spid::dracula::frank::bat: :witch:

I have decided that I will have 2 (snack size!) pieces of my very absolute favorite candy, and be done with it. And I'm not counting into my calories for the day, either. I'm going to have my usual meals (which I love and fully satisfy me), and then I'm going to have a treat. Let's just hope that I can keep this promise to myself, or I may have to rethink it next year. But I'm confident. :D

Edit -- BTW, I think it's going to be a Reese's cup and an Almond Joy. ;)

goal4agirl
10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree with every word EvilGidget said!
Hi, I am goal4agirl and I am a candy- chocolate junkie! If I had one small amount of candy I would be like a mad woman!!:yikes: When I go into the stores now the candy bags are everywhere. I have to know what I am going into the store for- make a plan and walk as fast as I can through there. I try not to look or think as I am walking. I am doing deep breathing all the while.:tantrum: My husband does not get it, he thinks I am a crazy woman. He keeps asking what is wrong? I tell him there is candy. He says so? He is a full person all the time. He weighs 170 Lbs. soaking wet. He doesn't understand this candy is calling me.:stress: All it will take is one piece to start a huge binge with me.
Thank you for letting me vent. This is how I feel about candy:fr:

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar057/slider-but7/lb/255/140/204/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wbhSq6K/weight.png

Teresa66
10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
We live in an apartment that gives you a piece of paper to hang on your door if you are handing out candy. We discussed it and decided that it simply isn't worth the temptation for me to have candy in the house.

Latchkey Princess
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I bought the candy, brought it home and put it in little treat bags along with the other little goodies I bought for trick or treaters. Then I closed those and put them in the bucket we're putting outside our door on halloween. I was left with about 3 mini pieces of candy, which I split with my kids.

The real test for me is going to be when my kids get back from trick or treating with all that candy...

odonnela
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm not even bothering this year. I live in a neighborhood that has a lot
of houses and is well lit so people drive in their kids from other parts of town. I get hundreds of kids I have never even seen before. Last year I was new to my healthy way of life so saying no was easy. This year - not so much. My friend and her 2 kids moved out of the neighborhood, the neighbors and their 4 kids moved and the ones across the street are late teens now. I don't have kids - so I called my parents and said hey want to have me and hubby over for dinner? So I'll be trick or treating for baked ham and homemade baked beans and coleslaw. Not necessarily diet food - but better than candy. But they said we don't get our treats unless the dog comes in a costume :)

ORSewmama
10-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I've had about 10 bags of candy I picked up on a good sale in the house for almost a month now, and they're still unopened. I'm proud to say I'm just not that tempted by them. A couple years ago, I ate so much halloween candy (before I started getting healthy!!) that I broke out in hives for days, ended up having to be treated with steroids. I finally linked it back to chocolate. Just chocolate. We found I'm mildly allergic to it (doesn't stop me from eating it), but I had consumed so much in a short period of time that it caused a more severe reaction. I'm VERY careful with chocolate now! At that time, I was probably eating 8-10 snack bars spread out over the day. It makes me sad to even post that, because it's recognizing how unhealthy and out of control I was.

Aclai4067
10-26-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm planning to buy jolly ranchers the day of so that they aren't sitting around tempting me. The calories aren't too bad and they take longer to eat.

yhahmd
10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
My sister is going trick or treating, she doesn't like skittles so I'm getting all her skittles, putting them in a bag, and giving them to my mom to hide. If I want some I can ask her. Because I LOVE skittles.

Oops, sorry if I don't "belong here" I never actually look at where I'm going- I just reply all over the place without realising it.

krampus
10-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm avoiding it by living in Japan, lol. Halloween isn't such a big deal here, though there are all sorts of ADORABLE pumpkin shaped chocolates everywhere. At my special ed school this Friday the kids are making cookies.

I suppose I'm at the point in my regimen where I know having a couple pieces of candy won't kill me or stall my progress. I just compensate for them the next day/the rest of the day.

Still a sugar addict...

chickybird
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I LOVE the idea of buying candy I hate!
Let's see...
licorice/twizzlers
root beer barrels (anyone remember those?
gum drops
skittles
jelly beans *gag*
anything banana flavored

WildThings
10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I live in an apartment complex that doesn't do trick or treating in the complex (the first year I bought two bags of candy, had no kids, so I ate it all myself) so I don't have to be around it as much. I am going to my mom and dad's this weekend and will hand out candy there, but none for me. I'll be fine, candy is a completely off-limit food for me and I've accepted that this year. Every time I have that small twinge of missing the candy, I remind myself that this isn't the last Halloween ever, there will always be more Halloween candy. And if not, they sell the same stuff in regular packaging at every store (not that I am going to go buy it).

A few years ago, my family gave out little party sized playdoughs. It was a huge hit and no candy in the house to eat. My old neighbors always give out glow necklaces, which is also a huge hit. It's fun and healthy (even though none of the kids thought of it as being healthy).

ChrissyBean
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
We live in the country too, so no trick or treaters; I don't buy candy. My kids go trick or treating, though, and they'll share their Coffee Crisp, Wunderbars, and plain chips with me, but I hoard their little treats. :lol

Halloween takes a CRAPLOAD of willpower, IMHO. Especially to NOT buy the 1/2 price candy on Nov. 1

popspry
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't celebrate Halloween for religious reasons so I don't have much to worry about.

saef
10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I, too, live in an apartment that doesn't welcome trick-or-treaters, and there are fewer than five children living in the whole complex, so I don't need to keep candy around. This is a holiday that I can pretty much safely ignore, except for store displays.

astrophe
10-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Just haven't bought any. We'll get halloween pencils or something this week to pass out to the kids. I know I won't eat any pencils. ;)

Besides, I promised myself something better than the kiddie candy typical of the holiday and so far I'm holding out for a good green & black.

Though I've been ignoring holiday candies for a few years now -- with practice it isn't a big deal any more. I remember how hard it was when I started.

A.

Trazey34
10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
I cringe when I think of how much candy I'd buy before - for ME! Those big bags of tiny Snickers?? I think there's 90 or 100 in the bag and I'd polish off 3 or 4 BAGS over the course of a couple weeks **wowweeee** I placated myself saying I was a chocolate junkie and therefore could not be held accountable ROFL yah OK 300 pound crazy person!!

I'm glad to report for the past 3 years I've had pounds of hallowe'en candy set aside for kiddies and leave it the heck alone.

I keep a bag of Peanut M&Ms that's re-sealable and every week or so I have a nice cup of coffee and 10-15 M&Ms as a decadent treat!

Beverlyjoy
10-27-2010, 03:29 PM
[
Now, if I were handing out Godiva.....that would be a whole 'nother story ;)[/COLOR]

So true!! I hear you on this one.

odonnela
10-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I know I won't eat any pencils. ;)
A.

:rofl: I don't know why that struck me as so darn funny!!!! :rofl:

time2lose
10-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Whew!!!! I have turned the lights off and handed the leftover candy to DH. I did not eat a single piece!! The last hour I hung on by repeatedly telling myself that it was almost over. I had resisted Halloween candy for days, at work, in the stores, and, for the last week, at home. I did not want to blow it in the last hour. :) I ate a honeycrisp apple instead. It was better than that candy would be!

How did you do?

19Deltawifey
10-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I ate about 6 pieces and had zero desire to eat more. Candy is too sweet and I can't eat a lot of it.

JackieHollow
10-31-2010, 11:03 PM
I had one uber small heath bar (that I knew going in I'd eat!). We now have 2 walmart bags FULL of candy (one of the bags is NOTHING BUT CHOCOLATE!). I stayed clear of it all day today. I plan to put it up to let the kids make Christmas treats with, and give out when they "ding dong ditch" everyone.

Natasha1534
10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm planning to buy jolly ranchers the day of so that they aren't sitting around tempting me. The calories aren't too bad and they take longer to eat.

AND they make sugar-free Jolly Ranchers. ;)

As for me, I've got some sugar-free Lifesavers and sugar-free Sunkist candies at the house. I'll have 3 or 4 per day as a "treat" and that's it. I loooooooooooove chocolate, so I just don't keep it in the house. I did, however, find some sugar free dark-chocolate cocoa truffles at Wal-mart the other day and got a bag for me and my mom to split. There's only 6 in the bag...we had 1 each per day, LOL

WildThings
10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
I survived without any candy...my first year ever! I went to my mom and dad's to hand out candy, and we had stuff that I really like, but I left it alone. Whew!! I will admit I've already started stressing about Thanksgiving and Christmas.

doppio
10-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Oh gosh, making it through **today** with no candy, I know I can do anything now. Seriously, Halloween is my time of year, and to not even have a single Reese's, my all time fav that even shares my name, is just amazing.

Ahhhhh, so proud of myself.

RayLynn88
11-01-2010, 12:25 AM
congrats to you all who have made it thru this candy-filled holiday!

personally, mine was an epic fail, but tomorrow is another day.. :)

Arctic Mama
11-01-2010, 03:46 AM
I had candy, but I'm done with it and it wad tonight, only. There is none in my house except the pieces my girls won as prizes, and I am not touching that.

time2lose
11-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Congratulations to everyone who stuck to their plan. Hats off to those of you that can eat just a little candy and stop! I just can't do it. If I eat one small piece, I will want the entire bag.

I think that I will try those sugar free candies to see if I can handle them.

RayLynn88 - I am sorry that it not go well with Halloween but you are right, today is a new day and you get to start fresh. I really believe that the difference in success and failure is never giving up.

ubergirl
11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Still sitting there, about half the bag gone. Luckily, it doesn't tempt me at all-- but I had a little moment when I thought about popping my son's jelly Frankenstein in my mouth. He didn't eat it because he thought it smelled bad. But luckily, the "no" voice reminded me I don't eat that stuff.

time2lose
11-01-2010, 08:37 AM
But luckily, the "no" voice reminded me I don't eat that stuff.

I also have a "no" voice to tell me that I don't eat that stuff any more! :)

katy trail
11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
exstatic to report i haven't eaten any so far! today, monday, and the rest of the week will still be a challenge, bc the kids candy is here of course. while they were at school i would always have some or alot of it, but i'm trying to turn over a new leaf this year :) i did have some yummy gumbo last night. totally worth the extra cals, and it's one of those things. i can't over eat it, i'm not taking the whole pot home with me. and i RARELY actually overeat in front of people. so i had a fun night with all the cousins, and i hope everyone else had fun too :)

JackieHollow
11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm so proud of everyone that was able to resist, or just eat a small amount! And those that struggled, proud of you for picking yoruself up and starting fresh!!!

Linsy
11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I was feeling extra snacky last night, probably because I wanted some candy but instead I made a turkey sandwich on lettuce instead of bread with a couple of green olives. Then I did my exercise video and took a shower. I eventually forgot about the candy. I thought I was going to give in, but I didn't! Now I just need to wait until the rest of it is out of the house.

Gale02
11-01-2010, 10:20 AM
No candy for me and my DH took all of it to work this morning. My son is not quite 2 so he's already forgotten about it, if he realized what it was at all. :)

PaulaM
11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
You will have a hard time believing this, but I actually cannot stand chocolate, and I don't really like sugar. LOL Now if only I hated fat and salty snacks, I'd be skinny again!

RobinD
11-01-2010, 07:01 PM
My Halloween was an epic fail too, but I've forgiven myself and moved on.

Ky30
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
OMG the kids candy sitting in the house is driving me nuts everytime I have to look at it AHHHHHH the milky ways are calling my name I havent had one pieace not one I cant wait till the candy is gone its all i think about.

socalfelicity
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
well, i had a great strategy- i bought all the candy that i cannot stand (smarties and tootsie pops)- and we passed those out.

well, we ran out of candy, so my hubbie went to the store and bought a TON of the GOOD stuff- you know, chocolate, reece's cups, etc.

and then we had like 2 trick or treaters after he came home.

so now we have a HUGE amount of candy in a bowl in our house- all the stuff i love...

and of course, of the 1600 calories i have eaten today, 1100 have been candy. :-(

so tomorrow i am packing it ALL up for him to take with him to work. enough is enough...

totsandfries
11-02-2010, 12:52 AM
This Halloween time for me was an fail. I had surprisingly only 3 pieces of candy on Halloween. But today.... I probably ate 1,700 calories in candy. BUT, I came up with a "punishment" workout, and burned around 900 calories, and it felt great. So tomorrow is a new day and the candy is non-existent in my head. I will stay on plan... I WILL stay on plan.