Metabolic Research Center - Camping food ideas?

View Full Version : Camping food ideas?

Nicmom24
10-24-2010, 09:39 PM
We're taking the kids camping next weekend. I'm having a hard time figuring out a good menu plan.

Anyone have some ideas? I'll have a cooler instead of a fridge and no microwave or oven. Grill, fire, electric griddle and campstove will be how I cook.

I've tried the shake/bar option for traveling before and found it doesn't work well for me as I get way too hungry and then have a hard time staying on plan.

hatethesweatpants
10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Canned tuna or chicken can be easily warmed up over a campfire with beans and salsa. Sprinkle a bit of cheese over the top. Eggs are always easy protein as well as low carb tortillas with cheese.

katy trail
10-24-2010, 11:09 PM
eggs sound difficult, unless you boil them. but they would break. you could make it ahead of time. stored in cooler.

are these ideas mostly for you?

pouches of salmon/tuna.
trail mix- easy to make healthier version for you. gives great energy for hikes.
grilled chicken, fish, or other meat.
tortillas work in place of bread

are you carrying the food too? well i guess not with a cooler. you have more options if you don't have to carry it.

katy trail
10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
for fruit and veggies. you want something that doesn't take up much space. little prep required.
baby carrots? radishes? i'm guessing you'll have a sink or some way to wash?

man, my brain keeps going to trail mix lol.
veggie burgers could work too.

katy trail
10-24-2010, 11:16 PM
you could mix together some salsa, beans, basil or fav herb. good side dish. no cooking required. or good in a tortilla.

dkmd27
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
veggie burgers and carrots would mean eating off program.

maybe you could do the "old time" foil packets on the fire-- you could make yours with chicken or bison and an on plan veggie and your favorite spices.

you could have celery sticks and cucumber slices cut up ahead of time with a walden farms dressing as dip is an easy snack, and you could use an apple for your fruit. You can be creative and have a great time -- make it a "project" to find the best on-plan foods you can do. I think you will be surprised at how many possibilities you have.

an egg on the camp stove would be easy ... I'm with Debi --I like them on 1/2 of a low carb tortilla with a spinkling of cheese -- once again, you could wrap it in a foil pouch to melt the cheese.

good luck!

Nicmom24
10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. Eggs are no problem. The salsa chicken/tuna option is just the sort of thing I was looking for. We do often do the foil dinners as well with chicken or beef so that's a great on plan option.