Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default Innerscan scale, water weight, and new "knowledge"

I have an Escali digital scale that, in theory, "measures" body fat and water percentage in addition to standard weight. Now, I understand that it doesn't specifically measure these numbers, but instead uses a slight electrical current to measure body density and then uses a formula to calculate fat and water based on the measured density. Since I started my weight loss journey, I have noticed that my water percentage has slowly creeped from about 37% to 38%, and I thought that I must be eating more salt than previously. I was starting to think that I'd need to start monitoring sodium in addition to calories, carbs, and protein, and I wasn't too excited about the extra work (not that it's ever a bad thing to monitor sodium - I just kind of hoped to tackle one hurdle at a time).

However, I just "learned" (I put it in quotes because I read it on the internet) that as our body fat percentage goes down, our water percentage tends to go up... ie a person with over 33% body fat tends to only have a water percentage of 35-49%, but a person with less than 20% body fat could have a water percentage of 58-70%. I previously saw the increase in my water percentage as a bad thing, but now, maybe I can think of it as a good thing, similar to the fat percentage going down

Does anyone out there know if this sounds correct...or makes any sense at all
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Maybe it's like my food percentage pie chart on spark?

I'm doing 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fat,

I notice that if I have too much protein, and not enough carbs, if I add carbs, my protein goes down, even though I didn't take any away.

Same principle?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #3  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Wow I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out. Your scale sounds so cool. That may be what I ask for Christmas this year!!
Spixiet- do you think this is why I always lose 2 lbs and gain 1 Lb. back before it sticks. That extra 1 Lb. gained back before I go back down is actually water? I just like to try to figure out what makes things work the way they do

Began 255Lbs. June 2010
First mini-goal 50 Lbs. lost Oct. 20, 2010 -DONE-
onederland ????
Next mini-goal 175 Lbs.

goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #4  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Sorry, goal4agirl, I can't really explain the way my own body loses weight, much less other people's I still haven't figured out how I seem to lose more weight when I consume about 1300 most days, but up it 1600-1800 every third or fourth day, instead of just sticking to 1300 every day. I've read that starvation mode is a myth, but my body just doesn't seem to agree I have no idea how the fat loss/water % gain works itself out, if it actually is true....as we all know, "truths" on the internet don't always turn out to be true~
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote