General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Any photography lovers out there?

Hey everyone =) I just had a question for anyone who has a camera that they really love; I'm making up my Christmas wishlist and I badly need a new camera. The thing is, I know nothing about what's good and what isn't. The last camera I owned (which I got back in like...2003) always took horrible pictures compared to all my friends' newer cameras.

Anyone have any advice on which brands or types I should be looking for? I'm not a professional, I just want something durable, good with inside and outside, takes good video as well. Thanks in advance!
Jelbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #2  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

I loove photography. Are you wanting a point and shoot type camera (small pocket type), or something bigger?
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #3  

Just point and shoot, something portable that I could whip out at a concert or on a trip, nothing big or clunky =)
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #4  

Do you have a price range? I'd stick with a name brand, like Canon. I'm a canon fan, so that's always what I'd recommend. Their powershot series is nice for a small point and shoot.

I am more familiar with the larger, clunkier, cameras, but then I don't use a point and shoot too often (unless it's my underwater camera).
Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #5  

Aiming for $200 or below, I'd just like to have an idea to bring to my family; the camera is the one big thing I'm asking for as a birthday/Christmas present, but my family is electronically challenged, and I want to make sure I send them on the right path and not end up like the first terrible camera I got =(
Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #6  
superfab

S/C/G: I don't care about my weight.

Height: 5'7"

I'm a photography major, and I'm in love with Nikon. Nikon has THE BEST lenses for the price. They hold up and they are super clear. If I had to get a small digital camera, however, I would go with Canon. The rebel is a good starting camera, but the best judge is to go to a store like best buy and test them all out. Good luck girrrllll. I have a Nikon D5000, and for film, an SLR Olympus OM-1 from the 1960s.
KoriHallelujah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoriHallelujah View Post
I'm a photography major, and I'm in love with Nikon. Nikon has THE BEST lenses for the price. They hold up and they are super clear. If I had to get a small digital camera, however, I would go with Canon. The rebel is a good starting camera, but the best judge is to go to a store like best buy and test them all out. Good luck girrrllll. I have a Nikon D5000, and for film, an SLR Olympus OM-1 from the 1960s.
OH NO!! Not a NIKONION!!! I have a 5d Mark 2 canon myself. (Photographer for 5 years now... Enthusiast much longer). Both are wonderful cmopanies. I started out with Nikon umpteen years ago, and have just always been loyal.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #8  
superfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieHollow View Post
OH NO!! Not a NIKONION!!! I have a 5d Mark 2 canon myself. (Photographer for 5 years now... Enthusiast much longer). Both are wonderful cmopanies. I started out with Nikon umpteen years ago, and have just always been loyal.
hahahah, yesss. Once you love nikon you can't stop yelling at people about how bad their cameras are in comparison hahah. I can't help it
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #9  

Oops I meant to say I started out with Canon years ago. I'm brand loyal for the main reason I've never so much as held a Nikon. And it would cost WAY too much money to jump ship. LOL

What type of photography are you planning to pursue with your degree?

(Sorry to hijack Jelbelle)
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

I am a professional photographer who shoots with Nikon. I use Nikon D 700s. I would say to go with either Nikon or canon. Both brands are wonderful. I shoot Nikon exclusively because it would be too expensive to have lenses in both brands As far as point and shoots go, I actually have an olympus for my "fun" pocket camera. It was more like $500 but is worth it in my opinion. It is the closest p&s I was able to find to my dslr's. I know that Nikon and Canon both have some good, moderately priced p&s cameras. Good luck!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #11  
superfab

You should shoot with one and see the difference. The lenses are much better. I'm pursuing photojournalism.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Personally, for point and shoot, small portable cameras (that fit in your pocket), I would go with Canon.

The one I recommend is the Canon Digital Elph SDxxx (they have a variety and usually have a price around $125-195).

I've had the small Nikons and they simply aren't easy to use and I think you want something that you can pull out easily and get it to work right. Canon does have that going for them.

I have a variety of cameras, but my personal favorite point and shoot is still Canon.

This is an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B002LITT7E

But if you browse through Amazon, you can get tons of options/prices.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #13  
banned

You can get amazing deals on cameras on ebay. I've had these little SVP HD cameras for around 50-60 dollars that take decent pictures, but are nothing too spectacular. You can check out my photos here, and see for yourself: http://melancholymuse110.deviantart.com/gallery/

The pics that are taken outside look much better than those taken inside for some reason.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote