Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #1  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Height: 5'5"

Default What low-cal meal keeps you full longest?

I try to limit my breakfast, lunch and dinner to around 400 calories with 2-3 snacks in between. I try to eat every 2-3 hours, but there are times when I'm hungry an hour after a meal.

I know everyone is different, but what meal/food keeps you satisfied longest? I'm saying like for at least a good 3 hours before you start to feel hungry.

Halloween Challenge!!!

Last edited by sandcar150; 10-20-2010 at 03:53 PM.
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #2  

2 egg omelet w/onions and ham and 1tbs salsa on top (150). I'll even do a bagel thin with a LC cheese wedge and eat it like a sandwich(145). total 295. Can add a banana for another 100 calories too.

1 can tuna w/ 1 tbs miracle whip on tortilla factory low carb wrap with jalapenos. 220 cals
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #3  

Ooooo...those both sound so yummy and filling, Shylah. Thank you!

Halloween Challenge!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #4  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Turkey chili is good (I posted the recipe here) for lunch or dinner.

For breakfast I find high-protein options keep me fuller longer... lately I've been having 1 cup of fat-free cottage cheese and 8oz of orange juice. Eggs are also good but I don't make them often because it takes too long to clean the pan afterwards... :P
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

If I do a big plate of veggies and 5 ounces of cod for lunch, I can go as long as 6 hours before I start to get the hungries again. Something about the fish is very filling for me.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I keep pre-cooked lean grilled chicken filets in the frig for a low calorie (150 cal for about 3 oz) satisfying snack. Also, I get hungry late at night, so raw cucumbers (without skin) are delishous to me and fill me up and only 35 calories!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #7  

I don't know how you feel about hardboiled eggs, but i boil a bunch up on sunday and they make a tasty breakfast or lunch. A bagel thin with a lc cheese wedge and 1 hard boiled egg sliced is actually very yummy. Quick and easy and no clean up!

I know for a lot of people peanut butter can be a trigger food, but 1 tbs of peanut butter is a major hunger reliever for me sometimes.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Better Oats oatmeal and an egg white. It's multi-grain, really hearty stuff and comes in a lot of delicious flavors. Most of the time I'm still slightly full-feeling at lunch.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #9  

Oh gosh! I almost forgot I started this thread. This has been a crazy busy weekend for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions. They sound delicious. It seems that most of you agree that a meal with protein keeps you full the longest. I find that to me true, too.

Lately I've been having Kashi GoLean for breakfast, which has 10g of fiber and as much protein as an egg. It usually keeps me full for about 3 hours, but some days only for 2. Strange, huh?

Halloween Challenge!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #10  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

High protein meals work for me as well. Homemade turkey chili and egg white fritata seem to be the most filling. I wish I had the time to make these foods more often. Homemade soup that has lots of chicken and high fiber veggies, goes a long way as well. I am making turkey soup today

Least filling foods seem to be fruits and carbs. I can eat an banana which costs me 100 calories and I will be starving in 20 minutes. Its not worth it.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #11  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Kashi GoLean is a weird one... it's been one of my standard breakfast choices for a long time, but it never seems to keep me full for as long as I wish or for as long as it seems like it should with all that protein. :/
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Half a head of cabbage + an onion + salt and pepper cut up and roasted at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. It's a heaping, heaping plate full of food and about 200 calories. Not only will that fill me up for hours, well into the next day I get full more easily.

Honestly, cabbage is like cheating.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/214/200

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellchick View Post
Kashi GoLean is a weird one... it's been one of my standard breakfast choices for a long time, but it never seems to keep me full for as long as I wish or for as long as it seems like it should with all that protein. :/
Thats interesting because Go Lean is the only this that keeps me full for longer than 1hour in the morning. Even protien only breakfast doesnt do it for me!

So I say- Kashi Go Lean with skim milk. Coffee and maybe a fruit serving. At least lately it has kept me going all morning which is a major feat for me!
1HauteMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #14  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Oatmeal just because of the bulk factor. Of course, I add WAY more water than is recommended so it's fairly soupy and the oats are completely swollen. It's how I've always preferred it.

I do 3/4 cup old fashioned oats (225 cal) with either 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (40 cal) or 1/2 cup light n' fit yogurt (55 cal). Add a few sweetener packets and some cinnamon...yummm. GIGANTIC bowl of oatmeal that will keep your tummy full.

Also, I wouldn't say this is filling by nature, but popcorn really stops the munchies for me. I can make a massive bowl of air-popped popcorn (spritzed with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and sprinkled with a few sweetener packets and cinnamon and a smidge of salt) for 240 calories. It tastes like cinnamon toast crunch, and the bowl will take me about an hour to eat. Again, popcorn itself isn't that filling, but it really helps on the days when I'm just wanting to munch just for the sake of munching. I can sit there mindlessly watching TV with the hand to mouth movement and not worry about the calories.

I make this for dinner sometimes when I'm absolutely starving. It's about 450 calories, has lots of filling protein, and feels like breakfasty comfort food. Probably doesn't sound too appealing to everying, I suppose. I like odd food concoctions, so it pleases me, hehe:
- 1 cup egg white beaters, scrambled
- diced tomato, onion, green pepper, spinach...whatever I have on hand
- all that over 4 pieces of 35 cal/slice toast
- topped with two slices of fat free "cheese."

Perhaps you notice a pattern. I like VOLUME. I haaaate spending a big chunk of the day's calories on two or three bites. I refuse to eat something like a granola bar, for example. I'd rather have a huge plate or bowl of food for 150 calories than a granola bar that I'll eat in three bites. Even if it's the yummiest granola bar ever. To feel full and satisfied, I need a large volume of food, I want it to look like a big meal, and I want it to take me a long time to eat.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #15  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I absolutely adore your idea of sprinkling popcorn with sweetener and cinnamon!!! I'm not the biggest fan of kettlecorn, but I think I might need to grab some of the microwave low fat kettlecorn and toss in cinnamon...I love cinnamon
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote