South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #1  

Default Returning South Beacher Needs Your Support!

Hey, everyone! My name is Anna and I'm a returning 3 Fat Chicks member, as well as a returning South Beacher!

This January I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. At that time I weighed a whopping 276 lbs (on a 5' 3") frame. I went on South Beach on and off since then and I am currently down at 250 lbs. I'd really like to weigh 220 pounds (...or less) by my next birthday (March 11) and I think it's completely possible as long as I have people to own up to!

So here it is - I don't know if anyone will read or comment, but I'll be posting my food journals here every day. Here's the food plan for tomorrow:

Breakfast

2 eggs, scrambled
Water

Snack

1 low-fat skim string cheese

Lunch

6 small roasted chicken roll-ups
30 pistachios
1 sugar-free Jello
1 string cheese

Snack

17 Pepperoni chips

Dinner

Pork tenderloin
Salad

After-Dinner

A big steaming mug of tea

Thanks for your support! If you have any meal ideas, please let me know!

Thanks,
Anna
xx the lily xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #2  
Be happy.

Hi Anna, welcome back!

Maybe you already know (since you're returning) but the best way to get to know everyone and really make the most of the support here is to post in the daily threads and weekend threads every day, or as often as you can. I like to check out the "on plan" threads, too. Reading what others are eating and doing to stay on plan always gives me good ideas and keeps me motivated.

I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to getting to know.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Hello Anna...welcome back!!! Good luck w/ your weight loss journey. Sounds like it's definitely doable.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Nice to "see" you again. I'm a Type II diabetic too and find this plan really helps stabilize my blood sugar.

However, I am concerned about your menu as it does not look like South Beach but like Atkins Induction. Have you read the book? South Beach must include lots of vegetables, dairy and even legumes. It's a healthy carb, not a low carb plan.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Anna! Planning your menu and posting it here will really help you stay on track with your weight loss. And Ruth is right - you must include at least 4 1/2 cups of vegetables every day, and eating legumes and dairy every day will help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back! I have found that the #1 most important thing for me has been to check in here every single day. I think your goal is quite realistic.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Nice to "see" you again. I'm a Type II diabetic too and find this plan really helps stabilize my blood sugar.

However, I am concerned about your menu as it does not look like South Beach but like Atkins Induction. Have you read the book? South Beach must include lots of vegetables, dairy and even legumes. It's a healthy carb, not a low carb plan.
Ruth -

I have read the book, although my book is quite old. I have heard that there have been changes made since the first South Beach book was published, but I was under the impression that Phase I was absolutely no milk, fruit, bread, pasta, rice, etc, or anything that constitutes as significant carbohydrates. Phase II is where I thought healthy, complex carbs were introduced.

I'm guessing that it would probably be worth it to buy the new book...haha.

Everyone else - thank you so much for your support! It really means a lot to me!

<3 Anna
Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

hi anna! welcome back and good luck...i'm a returnee, too and we even share the same birthday =) c ya around.
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Nice to meet you I also noticed an absence of veggies! I have to make a conscious effort to get those in.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #10  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Morning Lily and welcome. I just took a peek at your first menu and wanted to suggest more vegs. They make such a difference in how you feel. I too am a type 2 diabetic and have returned to South Beach. The support on this website is wonderful and will help you so much as you progress through your journey.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Are you on diabetic medication? You need dairy, beans and plenty of veggies, especially if you're on any type of antidiabetic meds. Some docs want diabetics to start with Phase II. Have you asked your physician?

Also is the pepperoni turkey pepperoni? Reg. kind is not allowed. 17 seems like a lot to me.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Are you on diabetic medication? You need dairy, beans and plenty of veggies, especially if you're on any type of antidiabetic meds. Some docs want diabetics to start with Phase II. Have you asked your physician?

Also is the pepperoni turkey pepperoni? Reg. kind is not allowed. 17 seems like a lot to me.
Yes, I'm on 15 mg of Actos a day. And my physician is aware and has given me the OK for phase one, especially since I've done it multiple times before.

It is turkey pepperoni, and 17 is the serving on the package. It can also be seen here as a sticky in the snack section of South Beach for Phase I.

Today has started out pretty good! Here's the plan:

Breakfast:

1 Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Cup
Water

Snack:

1 Lowfat String Cheese

Lunch:

5 Turkey and Cheese Rollups
30 Pistachios
1 Sugar Free Jello Cup
Water

Snack:

1/2 Cup of Roasted Chick Peas
Spoonful of lowfat ricotta cheese

Dinner:

1 Lasagna Stuffed Bell Pepper (find the recipe in the Entree section for Phase I)
Salad

After Dinner:

1 Ricotta Muffin (if I'm craving something)
A big mug of tea!

Hope everyone has a great day! Thanks for all of your support!

Last edited by xx the lily xx; 10-21-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Wanted to write more!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Still need more veggies!

Last edited by murphmitch; 10-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Lily, please check out the Phase I Food List and read the book. I am very concerned that you do not seem to be following South Beach correctly. I see no dairy and you need milk or yogurt daily. Vegetables, not just salad, should be at every meal.

If you check out the Phase I Support Thread, you will get some ideas.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote