100 lb. Club - A quick ME update

View Full Version : A quick ME update

cfmama
10-19-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm ticking along. I've lost 7 of the 15 lbs that I gained back. I've added a TON more cardio (every single day) and my new Groove fit class is really helping with the strength aspect of it. I'm considering taking some Nia as well.

Re-losing the weight that I gained is... harder. lol. Let THAT be a lesson to me.

I'm also going to come right out and say... I've started seeing a counselor about this "funk" I've been in for 6 months... it started right around the time that I reached under 200 lbs. My counselor would like me to go on antidepressants but I'd like to try to cognitive behavioral therapy first. He thinks part of the reason for a quick regain of that 15 has to do with my previous sexual abuse and how it's manifested in my weight gain/loss for my entire life.

So... I'm struggling to deal with my mental issues while keeping sane about food and keeping my exercise up :) I'm starting to feel better already to be honest!

I love you all... I'm struggling (but this time it's mental...)

Nikki6kidsmom
10-19-2010, 03:33 AM
I wanted to offer you a (((hug))). The mental aspect of weightloss is such the elephant in the room to me. Sometimes I have to sorta of step out of myself and analyze what I am feeling. I have to question myself on why I am wanting certain foods or to over indulge in things like sugar (cake is my vice) , fried foods or way too much alcohol.
I am proud of you for tackling this issue that's in your way. I always love seeing you around here! You will get there just keep up the fight!

RobinD
10-19-2010, 03:45 AM
I think you are very brave - looking in the mirror is never easy. I know anyone serious about weight loss does it, but you are really delving, and I admire you for it. May you find the strength, healing and peace you are looking for!

Rosinante
10-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Well done on hacking back that 7lbs! Re-loss really is so much more difficult!

And well done for tackling the elephant. It's difficult to discover that 'just' losing the weight isn't enough to cure us of what ails us, so I really admire you for meeting this head on.
:hug:

toobig
10-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Hugs!
Glad to see a post from you!

shcirerf
10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Glad to see you! And good for you to try to get out of your funk without the meds. Keep us posted.

@ Nikki6, I get it about the alcohol, that is the beast for me. But I'm working on it!

anna78
10-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I am new here, so I hope you dont' mind me jumping in on this thread.

I aplaud you for getting help! That is just awesome.

I know from experince that losing weight you gained back is very hard. That is where I am now.

I am giving you a standing ovation!

Kismet89
10-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Eliana
10-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah! Good for you on both aspects! It's got to feel good to have the scale moving again, even if it is just covering the same ground as before. I just know you're going to smash your previous low.

I feel like your trip to the therapist is your ticket to maintenance for life. ;) I really do.

rockinrobin
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
It's good to hear from you. I think about you from time to time.

As usual, it sounds like you are on top of things as you are always looking to grow and better yourself. I'm excited for you on all fronts. :)

VickieLou
10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Here's a :hug:. Congratulations on the relose of weight. I know how hard it can be to do. The new Groove fit class sounds fun. What's nia?

Judith Beck has a book about Cognitive Therapy. It's called the Beck Diet Solution. I finally started to read it. Good Luck with your therapy.

calluna
10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
:hug: Good to see you, cfmama...keep working away, and know that we're all on your side!

ANewCreation
10-19-2010, 12:32 PM

:carrot:

Lyn2007
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Getting back to business is the hard part, it seems! And the mental work, I think, is essential to be able to keep the weight off. Sending hugs your way.

Bunti
10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Hugs and prayers your way. Good luck with the therapy.

pucedaisy
10-19-2010, 02:12 PM
cognitive behavioral therapy can be very effective. and exercise, too, of course! sounds like you are on your way to a happier, healthier you.

antidepressants can also be a great tool. i was very reluctant to start them (stigma, guilt, etc) but i'm so glad i did. for *me* it is necessary. but the therapy part has been the most crucial in managing my depression.

thank you for sharing your struggles- it's a lot of work but it is so rewarding. best to you!

cfmama
10-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm glad that I am doing this for me... I think that the therapy and (possibly) antidepressants will be my ticket to getting to goal weight AND STAYING THERE. I cannot regain the 180 pounds I lost. I just can't.

Gaining it back is NOT AN OPTION. Going off plan is NOT AN OPTION. I'm going to deal with both the mental and the physical and get this done. I'm feeling very positive.

Thanks for everyones advice and support.

Trazey34
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
HUGE HUGS and even bigger KUDOS for #1 going to a therapist, and #2 being brave enough to share it with others. I can't tell you how many people have asked me "how'd you lose the weight" and i'd say "Well, I saw a therapist and...." and they jump in with "hypnosis???" Ummmm NO lol. ISSUES. Dealing with things. Learning HOW to deal with things instead of shoving a cupcake in my face. All the seemingly endless diets I've tried were all doomed to failure had I but known it at the time :(

And therapy isn't just for hardcore issues like CFMAMA is dealing with, some are for sure, but other issues contribute to bad patterns being repeated over and over again and someone on the outside of your life can help break that loop. I thought about it for years (and i AM a psychologist lol talk about head in the sand) but figured I had no 'trauma' per se, no abusive relationships, no real hardship of any kind so what the heck did i have to talk about??? A LOT actually, and once you pick at that scab it can heal properly and life can be different **ok soapbox over lol**

Good for you mama, all the best :)

ubergirl
10-20-2010, 12:50 AM
CF Mama it is so great to see you here and to know that you are working it. I have ever confidence that you will get off those seven pounds and more!

The therapy approach also seems very smart to me. For us big losers it is all a lot more complicated than we probably realize.

lottie63
10-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Heya cf, just wanted to say hi, I miss you, I have been gone far too long. I regained 25 or so of the 40 lbs I'd lost back, and am here (and back on spark) trying to start over.

I am also finally trying to deal with the mental issues (I binge. I'm also an emotional eater and had such a hard time admitting that. Somehow it's easier to say "Food is tasty" than, "I'm eating my feelings..." meh. feels like a defeat.)

Anyhow, I missed you! I thought of you often and wanted to offer some *hugs* along what is surely to be a mess of a mental journey for us both.

:) you can do it! :)

LitChick
10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were doing. I'm glad to hear you are still 'fighting the good fight' :) and it sounds like you are doing what you need to do, physically, mentally and emotionally - to make it through, finish getting that weight off and live the life you deserve. I think it takes great courage to examine your life and your past like that and give you major props for it. An inspiration as always. :hug:

cfmama
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm off to the doctors this morning to discuss antidepressants or (my preference) natural therapies. Wish me luck!

calluna
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Luck and hugs!

SnowboundChick
10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Thinking of you!!

matt_H
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Is it too late to add my hugs here? I hope not.

I hope things get better for you soon. I know they will. You are awesome :)

Onederchic
10-20-2010, 04:06 PM

BarbPA
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Big Hugs!!! :hug: I am also working on losing some re-gain. Gosh...it is harder the 2nd time! Ugh! I just posted on your other thread too...we are in a similar boat right now. Here's to hoping we both turn things around soon! :^:

cfmama
10-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks everyone (and Barb it SUCKS don't it!!!!)

I'm on two weeks of totally on plan. It feels so great to be back there in that head space. I can't control my depression but I CAN control my food.

losermom
10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
CfMama, I applaud you for trying to get to the bottom of your struggles. This journey is much more an emotional journey than anything else--at least it was and is for me. (((((hugs))))))