Old 10-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

Default sick and craving carbs

I'm sick, not horrible, just a nasty cold that is making me feel like crap. I'm 3 weeks into a low calorie, low fat, low carb diet. I am craving a big bowl of spaghetti marinara right now. I wonder what it is about being sick that makes us crave carbs?

To make matters worse next weekend is my birthday and then I will be out of town the whole week after that.

Going to try not to give in to my carb urge and take my vitamin c tablets and drink lots of water.
keziah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

that's exactly how i am when i'm sick. this is the best thing to help me. i make a bunch of green tea with lemon. sweetener if you need it. it won't need much.
drink a ton of that really hot. seems to really help open the sinuses. and help with sore throat.
mint tea is also really good, helps w/ tummy and throat.

or try mouthwash, brushing teeth more often. when i get that nasty taste out of my mouth, then the cravings are better or gone.

ginger tea might also be good.
and of course using a million tissues, and lots of showers/baths to help with the congestion and sore muscles.

oh and one of the best things to make, is lentil or minestrone soup. beans keep you satisfied for a long time. gives lots of energy. lots of iron and veggies.

hope that helps
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

I'm having a big mug of green tea now. I like my tea and coffee straight up

I compromised with myself (i thought)and made a salad but threw in some (12) whole grain croutons and a tablespoon of bacos. When I wrote down my food for the day I see that I still have to eat another 150 calories to get up to my minimum for the day and am still well under my carb limit for the day
keziah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #4  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

I like hot broth with a splash of heavy cream when sick. Tastes yummy and is low carb.

Concerned about the "low fat" in the mix. Fat is necessary with healthy lowcarbing. It also helps lessen the hunger and cravings.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote