100 lb. Club - How do you record it all?

View Full Version : How do you record it all?

DollyR
10-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Does everyone here record what they eat each day? If so where and how do you do it? Computer? Hand written journal? Why do you use what you use? I am a visual journaler....and I know I have to write my new journey. Just wondering if there is a new and exciting way out there. The thread on "New Tools" got me thinking about this.

Just curious...

Onederchic
10-17-2010, 05:35 PM
sparkpeople.com for me

stucky1987
10-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I started out in a journal, but then when I got an iphone I got an app for it for free. I find this easiest for me since I always have my phone on me.

CutieCourt
10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I use the loseit! app on my iphone. You can add friends to it and check up on them throughout the week to make sure they are journaling. A friend I do theater with is my accountability partner and she texts me whenever she sees i havent logged. Plus it gives you an estimated time frame it should take for you to be at your goal if you keep up with everything and has a place where you can log your weight! Its a very easy and fun program and i would recommend it to ANYONE who has an iphone or even ipod touch! You can also log in to you account online too.

Jelbelle
10-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm currently just using the notepad on my phone, I don't keep track of food, just my daily caloric intake. Whenever I eat I add the calories up and edit the note.

RobinD
10-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm just using scrap paper and a pen, since I'm the last holdout without a cell phone. It's just to keep track of my calories for the day, then when it's completely used up it gets recycled. I use the backs of junk-mail envelopes, mostly. :-)

stucky1987
10-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I use the loseit! app on my iphone. You can add friends to it and check up on them throughout the week to make sure they are journaling. A friend I do theater with is my accountability partner and she texts me whenever she sees i havent logged. Plus it gives you an estimated time frame it should take for you to be at your goal if you keep up with everything and has a place where you can log your weight! Its a very easy and fun program and i would recommend it to ANYONE who has an iphone or even ipod touch! You can also log in to you account online too.

That's the same app I'm using! I just thought is was a little funny :p

IL Mom 67
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
I use Fitday and I love it (I paid for the desktop version). I cook alot and I even put in the homemade stuff I make using the recipe analyzer, which is fantastic: (tried to post the link here but this site says I can't post links until I have 25 posts). If you want it google: calorie count new recipe. So nice to know exactly how many calories/fat are in home cooking.

toobig
10-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I buy hardback blank books. I love filling them up.

fatmac
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I make my own spreadsheet in Excel, but I look up the calorie counts on either Livestrong or Fitday if I don't have it handy on a package.

pamelasusan39
10-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I use myfooddiary.com

It calculates calories, carbs, vitamins, etc.......
You can track your food, measurements, exercise on there as well. It's $9 a month but it's the only way that I can see everything in one spot and know whether or not I am on track. I love it.....

AZ Sunrises
10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Calorie Counter on the Droid. :) Love, love, love it.

Creeech
10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I use myfooddiary.com

It calculates calories, carbs, vitamins, etc.......
You can track your food, measurements, exercise on there as well. It's $9 a month but it's the only way that I can see everything in one spot and know whether or not I am on track. I love it.....

Check this out - it's free and has the same features

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

onherweighdown
10-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I do it by hand in a notebook.

WildThings
10-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I bought Diet Power years ago, then upgrade 3 or 4 years ago to their newer version...this was before I realized there where free programs online, but I do really like Diet Power. I also keep a written journal because I track a large amount of health related stuff throughout the day.

Sunshine73
10-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I use my plate at livestrong.com. It's easy to use, most of the foods I eat are already loaded and it allows me to track not only my calorie/fat/cholesterol, etc. intake but I can also track my weight there in a graph format.

katy trail
10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
hey robind! i don't have a cell either lol. feels like everyone else and their mom has one. i don't go anywhere ever. so there's really no point.
i just started using fitday.

GirlyGirlSebas
10-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I've used Daily Plate/Livestrong, SparkPeople, Fitday and the website that came with my BodyBugg. But, I much prefer to just track my food and calorie counts on an excel spreadsheet.

Rosinante
10-18-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm like wildthings, bought DietPower before I knew free ones were available. I loved it because of the nutrients it listed too, it was a real eye opener.
Pros: it's a stand alone, so that if the internet dies, I've still got total access to it on my computer.
Cons: it's a stand alone, so I wasn't able to put it on my netbook for some reason, I had no access to it while on holiday last week.

I keep it going, because I've got a graph going that goes back to December 2004, and in about 8-10lbs' time (haven't weighed this morning yet) I'll finally have retrieved that weight!

SeaWave
10-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I use SparkPeople.com It tracks nutrients (not just calories) and was a real eye opener for me wrt sodium. It also has exercise tracking as well as coaches and exercise demos, recipes (and you can input your own and get the nutritional values), food analysis, and financial budgeting... and it's free and available wherever I have Internet access.

SassyPoppet
10-18-2010, 09:13 AM
I use FitDay here - I got the desktop and online account and can sync between the two - this way I can keep up to date if I'm not on my home computer. I tried sparkpeople back in the day and thought it was decent - I just like FitDay because I track moods, food stuffs, measurements, weight - everything. :)

mammasita
10-18-2010, 09:15 AM
I use fatsecret.com - it has an app for the droid (and iphone I'm sure) that synchs all my data automatically.

time2lose
10-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I had to experiment to find out what worked for me. I started with a plain notebook but decided it was too big to carry around. Tried an excel spreadsheet but wanted something to access from multiple locations. I got Little Black Book ~ Daily Food Diary (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Daily-Diary%C2%AE/dp/B000IA24W4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1287408281&sr=8-17) which I liked alot but decided to go with an online service, The Daily Plate because it gives more nutritional info. I still carry the Little Black Book when traveling because it is easier and handy to have in my purse.

Charms
10-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Hmmmm, now you all have me thinking to check to see if there's an app for my BB!

hhichick
10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I use fatsecret and the synced Droid calorie counter app, too!

SassyPoppet
10-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I use Fitday and I love it (I paid for the desktop version). I cook alot and I even put in the homemade stuff I make using the recipe analyzer, which is fantastic: (tried to post the link here but this site says I can't post links until I have 25 posts). If you want it google: calorie count new recipe. So nice to know exactly how many calories/fat are in home cooking.

Recipe analyzer?? In FitDay? I looked and can't find it - where's yours?! :)

Kismet89
10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I love my Excel spreadsheet! A notebook works fine when I'm out and about, then it's easy at the end of the day to enter everything.

SCraver
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
First I tried sparkpeople. Then I poked around on daily plate. then I started a notebook. Then I set up an excel spreadsheet. Now I am back to sparkpeople... but I get lazy with it on the weekends. But I still have notebooks everywhere. One that I took to the nutritionist to write notes in and now I write in it when I think of things I want to buy/try (ie. new veggies/recipes). I have a notebook that I have been jotting down my exercise for years in. I have a journal I was writing my goals in and then I used it for a little while when I was seeing a shrink.

I guess I am just wishy washy.

SwimGirl
10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I used a notebook that was designed for calorie counting, love it! I don't always have access to my computer and found when I was using Fitday I was on the computer WAY too much, which lead to getting distracted! :lol:

-Aimee

kaplods
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I follow an exchange plan, and created a worksheet with boxes to check off for each exchange. I also have a place on the page to plan meals out ahead (which I hardly ever use, but it helps tremendously when I do), and a lined section to write what I ate, the time I ate it, and any other notes I want to make.

I also document my health and pain issues, and include a pain chart and a face chart (to document rashes, flushing, and other skin issues). It was through the symptom log that I made the connection between wheat and flares of pain and skin issues (especially a particularly nasty and hideous inflamed rash that hubby likes to call "face rot").

I also created a tiny version of the exchange checklist, that I can slip into a pocket to use at restaurants and when we visit friends and family so I can check off exchanges discreetly, because my normal journal is in a standard size binder. I tried a day planner sized version, but I like the larger size better. It's just a little heavy and conspicuous to take out of the house.

synger
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I tried doing it by hand, but found I just couldn't' keep up with it because I didn't remember to bring it with me all the time.

Since I work on a computer all day anyway, it's much easier for me to input it into My Daily Plate online.

I also keep a spreadsheet with my daily weigh-ins, my official monthly weigh-ins, my monthly measurements, and any blood work I have done (my own blood glucose measurements, and lab-generated glucose measurements, as well as the odd cholesterol profile). That way I can see at a glance trends in weight, and see that I really AM losing, even when it doesn't feel that way day by day.

anna78
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
I use My Fitness Pal. I like it alot. I can also track my exercise and weigh in etc. A lot like spark people. Just seems simpler to me.

Sea
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I made up my own spreadsheet and print the pages out, 2 pages per week. This allows me space to include my personal objectives (water, exercise, etc.). I keep my pages in a little 25 cent notebook. That way I can go way back to check calorie counts on favorites, see what worked for me previously, look for trends if I'm stalled. :)

RobinD
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
For analyzing my recipes or checking calorie counts and nutritional info I've been using http://nutritiondata.self.com/ It's free, plus it factors in GI loads and how inflammatory the food/recipe is.

I'm self employed, so portability and discretion isn't an issue, so for now the junk-mail-envelope-method is working, lol!

DollyR
10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
There are so many choices out there. I am going to try a journal by hand. It's funny because my job is working with computers all day long so by the time I am home its very quick....check FB, check phone/email and get some TV shows for download....done. I think I am going to get one of my artist journals going with it this weekend.

KatMarie
10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I use mynetdiary...it has an app for iPhone and iPad.

doppio
10-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I actually write it down in three places, of all things lmao.

I've got a log set up on my computer to record the basics of what I do and eat, that I'll keep as monthly, I bought a fancy journal to handwrite my thoughts and feelings of the day, as well as general progress and my food plan for the next day, and then I've got some special sheets photocopied to make sure I stick to my three hour food plan, and include all of the vegetables/fruit, protein, carbs, fat, and water that I need. Writing all of this down so much is really keeping me focused.

Trazey34
10-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I tried fitday and it was fun for a few days but then i resented the time it took to do it all, so i have a super cutie hard-covered notebook that's small, and has an elastic closure to keep it together once i fill it up - i write down food, feelings, stickers and glue in things from magazines etc. that catch my attention.

I don't know what it is, but I love a nice pen, and nice thick paper and a cute cover LOL it makes me happy!

LiannaKole
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
The old fashioned way - made a spreadsheet and listed food, amount of food, calories etc. and plug in the info. I do it mostly in my head now and it works great!

xty
10-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I am so lowfi! I just use my iphone and its textpad!

I pretty much know the calories in any given food, so I dont have to look it up. Keep a daily record of my food, weight, exercise and every couple weeks my measurements.

ShylahEQ
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
i use an app from fatsecret on my droid.

Liliann
10-28-2010, 05:05 PM
I hand wriiten on a college spiral notebook, so far,so good on writting the calories/mood/exercise down in black pen for a month now!

tsuninight
10-28-2010, 05:35 PM
I was using sparkpeople.com, but now I'm using my BodyMedia software. So i can see my progress or "potential" progress all in one place. HOWEVER if I have a recipe I need entered I STILL use SparkPeople.com's recipie calculator. <3.