Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #1  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Stretch Marks...AHHHHHH

It makes me so crazy that after loosing all this weight I still have strech marks. My sister said to me that it would go down after loosing the weight but seriously I only have 13 pds more to loose and I just don't see the stretch marks going away anytime soon.

My next step for myself is to start toning up. I'm hoping that will improve the stretch marks. I want to be in a bikini this coming summer and I am really just horrified to think that even if I was muscley I might still have stretch marks. My sisters always telling me I'm great and stretch marks don't matter because I can wear makeup to cover them up.... I really don't want to wear make-up on my torso especially in the summer...I sweat that make-up will come right off.

I'm not really stressed about this. Summer is months away and I figure even if I only manage to lessen the appearance of my stretch marks I'm still wearing that bikini. I don't care I've worked hard to get to where I am and if I achieve my bikini bod by the summertime I am wearing it. Because to get to that bod meant I had to work even harder.

So on that note I have taken matters into my own hands...I bought something called Vita-K solution for stretch marks. I have been using it for the past two weeks and I have been seeing results but I would love to know if there is a better product out there. You guys have any ideas?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
-Douglas Adams

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
-Douglas Adams
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

dear WinterJinx,

i totally understand how you feel. although i think you can wear your bikini proudly even with stretch marks because you've earned the right to wear it and i'm sure you look really nice no matter how you feel about your skin, and i'm afraid there is no way to really erase stretch marks, there is one product i hear really helps: triVectin™SD Intensive Concentrate for Stretch Marks

i live in europe, here we can buy it at sephora, i don't know if you can buy it at your stores, but i see they sell it on amazon too, if you want to try it.

but wear your bikini no matter what, you achieved so much and you can really be proud of yourself!
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

First, congrats on the weight loss- an achievement to be proud of.

There is a laser treatment which can be effective with stretch marks. It works better when the stretch marks are still fresh and purple or red. It helps fade them to a silvery colour.

Unfortunately, all the options are limited since they are permanent.
I was quite worried about the amount of stretch marks that happened (almost daily) while I was pregnant. I was told that is quite influenced by hormones, and for some people, just part of the process
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #4  
~Kim~

Yeah, for now we are pretty much stuck with our stretch marks. Thank God mine are all the light, small kind. I have heard that using self tanner helps mask them so they aren't as noticeable. And that you can't see them as much when you have an actual tan.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #5  

Stretch marks do not go away. They are actually scars from stretching the skin too much. They do fade and will be hardly noticeable in time. Women who have been thin all their life can have stretch marks from pregnancy. Let's face it, we have abused our bodies and we have a price to pay.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've had to tell myself to get over it. I have stretch marks and I'm actually thankful that's the least of it. My saggy skin is pretty minimal, but the stretch marks aren't great. They are older so they are light and if I really wanted to I could probably pull if a bikini, but I just don't have the self confidence. I've gotten to the point where I have to tell myself that I can be grateful and happy with what I've accomplished or I can be miseable and pissed about all the battle scars and miss out on the best part of my life.

That said you can google your hearts content on creams and whatnot. They all take time though and most of them provide very little results. And speaking of time I've noticed that time has helped mine with the assistance of a little shea butter and alpha hydroxy lotion.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #7  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I've had to tell myself to get over it.
Ditto. I was obsessing over them, but eventually I just mentally gave them a big "WHATEVER" and got over it. They'll be what they will be. I'm certainly not going to let them drag me down.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #8  
~Kim~

Most people actually get stretch marks anyway. My best friend has never weighed more then 135 a day in her life and she has them on her hips and thighs, probably from hitting puberty.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I have bad stretch marks and loose skin on my stomach after having a baby. I'm 5'5 and 130 now but my stomach still sags from that (I was 5'5 125 pre-pregnancy with no loose skin or marks).

Something to remember, that even the world's most beautiful women have them - google Cindy Crawford.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #10  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Ask a dermatologist or medi spa about microdermabrasion. I hear it works well, it's a process and you shouldn't be in direct sunlight (on those areas) while in treatment.
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Yeah...if I would have only worried about stretch marks and loose skin as I sat in line at the drive thru. I didn't care then...why do I care now?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #12  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I saw something a few weeks about about a new procedure involving lasers that essentially obliterates the collagen in that area, forcing it to regrow, and you lose your stretchmarks. I wasn't paying much attention, but it seemed similar to what's done with other scars.

That said, honey...look at how far you've come. Stretchmarks aren't a biggie. They're going to be too busy looking at your rockin' bod to notice them.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #13  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

Thank you....you're all right I really did come far and shouldn't be so whiny.

Lori Bell- I don't know if you will come back to this thread but you're right when I was going to the drive-throu two years ago I wasn't thinking about my skin and obsessing about my body appearance then.
How things have changed.

ncuneo - I love this ..."I've gotten to the point where I have to tell myself that I can be grateful and happy with what I've accomplished or I can be miseable and pissed about all the battle scars and miss out on the best part of my life."

I can live with my stretch marks

.......and I'm wearing a bikini come summer
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 161/150.5/135

Height: 5'9"

Hey, you're not alone. I've got dozens of white stretch marks, especially on my boobs (I guess that's what happens when you're 12 years old and you go from being an A-cup to being a D-cup in about 6 months, yay puberty ). I have tried every "home remedy" and "cure" out there (except for the laser treatements, they are way too expensive) and nothing seems to work. Maybe because my stretch marks are already too old and to be quite honest I regret everyday the fact that I did nothing to prevent them from appearning but when you're 12 years old you don't even know what those ugly lines on your skin are.
I actually don't care and I wear bikinis but it's so frustrating because I know I would love my body if it weren't for my stretch marks, but right now I hate it. Ggggg I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated.
Right now I am trying one of those snail dribble creams but so far I haven't noticed any results. I'll keep you updated though. According to some articles I have read, snail dribble does seem to work, to a point. :/

Self tanner hides stretch marks a little bit, though. It's the quickest way to get rid of your stretch marks, even if it's only temporary. Body makeup (like the kind that they use to cover up tattoos) also works but I suppose it would be uncomfortable to apply it every single day.
Zanahoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #15  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyDimples View Post
Yeah, for now we are pretty much stuck with our stretch marks. Thank God mine are all the light, small kind. I have heard that using self tanner helps mask them so they aren't as noticeable. And that you can't see them as much when you have an actual tan.
Actually you can see them even more if you tan.

I am very fair skinned and you can barely see mine, but when I tanned this summer (on the breasts) they stuck out horribly.

It seems to be because once the marks fade, they turn very white. And with the tan over it, they stick out like white lines on a chalk board.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote