General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Arrow Parents, when you're out with the kids...

I'm honestly curious and would like some opinions.

Today was a birthday party for a kid in my son's kindergarten class. They had it at a really cool place called "Monkey Joe's" and there were also 2 other birthday parties going on, as well as the normal visitors/families coming for a good time.

The entire time we were there, there was a group of about 15 or so parents who sat at their tables either watching TV, texting, or talking with each other while their kids ran around. There were parents who were walking around keeping an eye on their kids, and there were kids who were running around unsupervised. The unsupervised kids were falling, pushing people down and being totally obnoxious. 4 girls about 9-11 years old shoved past me, knocked my 2 1/2 year old down and stepped on her even though I told them to stop and be careful when they blew past me. When I told them to be careful, one of them turned around and gave me a dirty look, then proceeded to run through the toy. Their parents were sitting around with cell phones, and another had headphones in and looked asleep.

Another group of kids, these were girls too, were laying inside one of the tunnels jumping on each other and refusing to let anyone through. My daughter had already gone through, and I was asking them to let me through so I could get her. They all just ignored me. Finally, I said MOVE! I need to get my daughter, and one looked me right in the face and goes, "CHILL! She's already off the ride" and went back to what she was doing.

There were kids who were kicked off of the rides for being too rough and cutting in line, and their parents had nothing to do with them until their kid was told they couldn't play. Then the parents put away the cell phone and proceeded to rip into the employee because junior wasn't allowed to play anymore. It says on rule posters EVERYWHERE that adults are to watch any child under the age of 18 while they play on the equipment.

I understand that parents don't like to hover over their kids, but completely ignoring them while they are in a public place like that?

I want to hear some opinions on this, because it's common place enough that there has to be another side to the story. Something like, "Kids need to have freedom" "Parents need a break and this is how they do it" or something like that. SOMETHING that would justify this.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I would have never in a MILLION years told a grown-up to "CHILL" when I was little. Bad manners run amok. Yes, kids need to run free, but they also need engaged parents. It also really, really bothers me when I see parents berate an employee for doing their job (and keeping their kids safe). In college I worked at an ice arena and dealt with that all the time. Kids would be climbing over railings with 20 ft drops on to cement, yet they would yell at me when I would tell their child to get down.

It's rather confusing. I see a lot of parents not care what their kid is doing until someone else gets involved.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

The kids have bad manners. The parents are slacking off. Unfortunately, I've seen that here too.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-16-2010 at 08:10 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

There is no justification, sorry. People who truly don't want to be with their children shouldn't have them!! Children are a direct reflection of their parents, parent make the children who they are. My 2 year old daughter says please and thank you for everything. Yes she has her fresh moments... She's 2 but I do not let her get away with it. She knows how to say excuse me and sorry. I work with all age children, all disabilities and I have to say 100% of the time parents make the children who they are. You can teach them to be kind or selfish replicas of yourself.

This is a sore topic for me, if you couldn't tell. I worked very hard to have my daughter and I want her to be respectful and respected by others. These parents make me angry that they take their kids for granted.
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #5  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

There is no justification, sorry. People who truly don't want to be with their children shouldn't have them!! Children are a direct reflection of their parents, parent make the children who they are. My 2 year old daughter says please and thank you for everything. Yes she has her fresh moments... She's 2 but I do not let her get away with it. She knows how to say excuse me and sorry. I work with all age children, all disabilities and I have to say 100% of the time parents make the children who they are. You can teach them to be kind or selfish replicas of yourself.

This is a sore topic for me, if you couldn't tell. I worked very hard to have my daughter and I want her to be respectful and respected by others. These parents make me angry that they take their kids for granted.
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Someone should beat the parents. The children don't know any better but the adults should.

Period!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
The kids have bad manners. The parents are slacking off. Unfortunately, I've seen that here too.

A.
I see it here alot as well. MY KIDS would break out cryin' because for them, having someone else do MY job reprimanding, discipline what have you.. They just arent used to it.

On the other hand, we do have a rule: If your going somewhere be it a friends house, pizza parlor what have you. IF you act like you live there, you will be treated like you live there. My daughter tested this with one of DH;s friends (she was feeding his dog after she was told not to) and he snapped at her (he was in the right IMO) after that, she listened to him, and acts much better out in public.. But taht is my kids.
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Ugh! That is terrible!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

this has been going on a long time. My kids are 13 and 16 now. We just ended up not going to any of those places unless it was a day my kids had off from school and noone else did. it was a better experiance for the kids and myself.

it is all too common for parents to think their kid can do no wrong, they don't have to share because they and their kids are entitled to anything and everything. Frankly I think these kids are a product of parents that were never told no either.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

I don't have children, but I see things like this going on at stores, amusement parks, water parks, etc. I understand the kids should be allowed to have a good time and let lose. But when the are shoving and knocking other kids down that just isnt exceptable. And I cant beleive that child told you to "chill". You know they probablly dont have any respect for there parents either. And thats no ones fault but the parents.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4

omg I so know what you mean. Plagrounds and fun kids places like that stress me out. I feel like I have to hover over my 22 month old so that im there when older kids push him over and runamuck with no supervision. I always leave exhausted from it all. And yes a 4 year old will be pushing my baby down on a stair or in line for the slide while his mom is texting or whatever off to the side. I hate having to repremand other children but I do. I also encourage good behavior when I see it too. You never know what a child gets at home.
Emmieooo is offline   Reply With Quote