General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

Default Braces?

..at the age of 30, I wore braces for something like 3 years when I was a teenager and now they want me to get them again. I was hoping for more of a retainer.. *crosses fingers*

I have a rather bad tounge thrust (my tounge pushes on my 4 front teeth and is making me have a bad bite and moves them around. They think this is what is causing my headaches.

The issue is that our health insurance dont cover dental. And they SURE aren't gonna cover orthodintic. i have looked up orthodontic schools here and the closest one is on the other side of the state.. so that won't work

Its just a frustrating situation, we cant even find ortho insurance for less then 80 dollars a month. We cant swing that And the payments on hardware...

Does anyone have any ideas? I really want these darn headaches/neck/jaw aches to be gone. Is there someting I may have missed?
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I'm 28 and I just finished up 2 1/2 years of treatment. TBH, they didn't help a whole lot with my headaches. Turns out I get them because I clench my teeth a lot. :/

I got a loan to cover the braces. My teeth were very crowded. I could barely get floss between them without shredding or breaking it and I was getting some buildup in places I couldn't clean. When I was younger, I couldn't afford them, so as soon as I could I got 'em!

I still wear a clear plastic retainer at night (so sexy, lol) and I now have a permanent retainer on bottom. See if the orthodontist offers financing through them, or see about getting an orthodontic loan.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #3  

I have my consultation next thursday I am hoping that we can work out a payment plan without breaking us.. I wish I had the over crowding.. lol.. I just have a lot that never came in.. No buds sad thing is my kiddos have the same thing its apparently genetic but all their missing buds are in the back mine is the K-9's and two bottom front teeth. Since they are missing it allows everything to shift alot because of the tounge thrust! Let this be a lesson, on binkys and thub sucking as kids!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I wore braces for 3 years as an adult (starting at age 27). The total cost was 4500. Insurance kicked in 1500. The orthodontist offered a payment plan where I paid 100 bucks a month, which was completely doable.

I have worn my retainers religiously every night and my teeth still look amazing.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I wore braces for 1 1/2 years starting at 32. They cost me $4400. My insurance covered nothing, but the orthodontist had a payment plan that was very reasonable and interest free.

Now I have a CareCredit card. It's like a credit card but it's exclusively used for medical expenses, and it offers 0%-interest plans. If your ortho is on the CareCredit program, that could be a good option for you.

http://www.carecredit.com/

BTW, adults who have had braces generally end up wearing a retainer for life. You can get the permanent ones that they attach behind your teeth, but I opted for a clear plastic set that I only put in at night. They were $200 and I've used them every day for 3 1/2 years. They are holding up very well.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 10-15-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #6  

The guy who I have an appointment with does have care credit. I THINK. I saw it on his website, thats what we are shooting for around 100 dollars or so. I was thinking about 5 grand sounded right for all the work they may have to do. I have been down this road. Braces, 2 jaw surgery's and retainers that I lost when I was 19 or so

I didnt know they had permanet retainers, that is awesome! what a great Idea.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Mine cost originally cost $5700, but the orthodontist took $500 of that off because we paid off the last $1500 in one go. I think we paid something like $119 a month, but we always put extra money into paying it off it if we could.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #8  

I'm lucky that my health insurance at work is covering almost half the cost of my brand new braces ($3000 of $6200 total). I put 20% down and the orthodontist office offers interest-free monthly payments for 18 months. Not as painful, financially anyway, as I thought. My teeth already feel a bit tender (only got them this past Tuesday) and I'm trying to eat soft things...not getting enough veggies though! I made broccoli soup tonight, so that will get me at least a serving of veggies per bowl! It's going to be a long two years if I am not eating as many veggies as I'm used to...and I'll be 48 when the braces come off!

Last edited by 2annabelle; 10-15-2010 at 11:52 PM.
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #9  

Hubby and I are thikning we can pull off around 130 a month.. we arent broke.. just bent, due to some lingering medical bills from my injury and surgery last winter.

I am also hoping I can quit smoking, the cost of the cigs is acctually more then what we are hoping to pay the ortho.