Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #1  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

Default WLS, no insurance, want it pretty bad.

Has anyone here had weight loss surgery without insurance...and also while being quite, err...broke? As in, you get the surgery and you just have to pay it for the rest of your life in bills?

I'm having such a derp of a time trying to just get below 300 pounds. I dont know if I am not working out enough or if cutting all of the bad crap out of my diet (clocking in at about 1400 cals a day) is not enough or what. I will admit I am only about 2-3 months into this shindig, but I find myself so envious (and amazingly proud and happy for at the same time. Weird?) of people who have managed to get WLS. Now, I am dirt poor! No insurance, no nothing. I've never had insurance of any kind my entire life for more than a few months, and I know at my weight and income level that getting it has a snowball's chance in ****. I'm an artist, so I dont make a whole lot, though I am trying to become a tattoo artist as well and actually live a life above the poverty line doing something I love.

Okay, back on track. Seriously though, has anyone managed this? Or would you mind suggesting a few things?
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #2  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

As some one who's been paying off unintended medical bills for the last year, I would really caution you against taking on too much debt if your income isn't secure! Not to mention that WLS is a surgery - what happens if you have complications? Will you be able to pay the bills if you wind up needing an extended hospital stay, medications, etc?

Especially when WLS isn't a guaranteed success - while many people who have it are successful, others are not. It seems like a lot to risk for something that isn't 100% guaranteed to work. (I should clarify that I haven't had WLS myself, but have had friends/relatives undergo the procedure with mixed results.)

One thing to consider - at your height and weight, 1,400 calories may not be nearly enough. If you eat too little, your body hangs on to fat in order to protect itself. I'd definitely recommend signing up for a website like Livestrong or SparkPeople - both have calculators that show how many calories you need to consume to lose weight each week (based on your basal metabolic rate).

Last edited by smisen; 10-15-2010 at 08:42 AM.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

There are ways to pay for WLS without insurance - I've seen people take out medical loans, use Care Credit, take out a second mortgage, etc. However, describing yourself as broke has me concerned for you not only because you might not be able to afford the actual surgery itself, but what about the vitamins and supplements and follow-up doctor care you will need for the rest of your life AFTER the surgery? I do have insurance, but I know that without it, I would be spending thousands of dollars a year on labs alone.

Maybe you could swing a part-time job that offers health insurance? I know places like Starbucks and Home Depot offer benefits even to part-time employees. That was my Plan B when my employer changed our insurance to plan with a 100% EXCLUSION for anything even remotely related to weight loss. I had my Starbucks application downloaded from their website and saved to my desktop! Now, I never go to Starbucks - I don't even drink coffee - but I was willing to do what I needed to do to make a better life for myself.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #4  
You'll be given love...

OH, I'm on Sparkpeople. I love it there, just figured I'd try to get some insight there as well. The nutrition calculator over yonder says 1480 for calories at best, so I try to stick around that. I start to panic if I go higher...I'm not sure whats wrong with me. But after being big so long I think my mind is snapping. XD

As for the surgery? I'm sure its some sort of desperation talking. Must calm it down...and knowing my luck it probably wouldn't work all that well...
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I think you need to go to the doctor, but not necessarily for WLS. If you have been eating 1400 calories a day for 2-3 months, staying strictly on plan and have only lost 14 pounds at your starting weight, something is wrong... If people think you are getting too few calories now, with WLS you will be eating around 1/2 that for the first several months prior and after the surgery.

At my starting weight, with very little excercise to begin with and 1200 calories a day (no surgery) but with total dedication and NO CHEATING I lost an average of 4 pounds a week for that first 3 months, my loss was pretty typical for someone my height and super morbidly obese. Do you weigh and measure everything?

I'm pretty sure you will have even MORE rules with WLS, it certainly is no easy fix, and in my opinion much stricter than basic calorie counting. It's also terribly expensive, and if you have no insurance, and have to make payments for years, how will you ever afford all the awesome new clothes you will want?

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-15-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I would suggest getting yourself checked out by a doctor... especially your thyroid it may not be functioning at a normal level making your metabolism slow. You could check out your local hospital and sign up with the clinic there.

Good Luck !!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/170/155

Height: 5"4

I agree with Leenie--I'd go to a doctor first to make sure you have no health issues that are preventing you from losing weight. You've only been doing this seriously for a couple months, maybe you need a bit more time.
Having WLS is a big decision..I paid out of pocket because it is not covered under our medical insurance here in BC. So, I had to use my line of credit.
However, I have a job and I'm secure financially--not sure what I would have done otherwise. My parents would have helped, but I felt that it was my own responsibility to do this myself.
I don't regret my decision for a moment. It has changed my life in so many ways.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers,
Carol
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

there's also a risk if you don't have insurance and have the surgery. when you DO get the surgery, care related to complications may be subject to at least a 6-month waiting period OR not be covered at all.

is there any way you could qualify for MEDICAID?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #9  
You'll be given love...

Lori --I used to joke with my friend that "Yeah, I'll pay for WLS forever and go butt naked if I have to". Heh. But yes, I do need to go to the doctor. My period likes to last 6 months at a time for no reason at all and I have a lot of random break outs (not herpes, but small boils) in a very ah...special place.

Which leads me to think the worst: That I might have PCOS. I'm already sure I'm insulin resistant. As for weighing and measuring? I have no measured as I cant find the bloody tape, but I fit into pants I haven't been able to wear in about a year so I know I've lost some circumference. If just a little...

Leenie -- We have a local free clinic but not only is it a ***** to get to, but they just dont offer some services, like the one you mentioned. But I have made appointments for other clinics. Louisville just isnt a great place for health without insurance like most other cities. Ironic, seeing as this place is a rather big medical hub. As for my metabolism? I'm half convinced I dont have one. XD Realistically, it's just so slow. Hypothyroidism has been suspected by medical professionals before.

Zombie -- That's about all I can do for the moment is wait it out, you know? So, more working out, etc. I'll just have to see where it takes me. I feel like with the amount of effort I've put in I should at least be out of the 300's. Or maybe I'm just not working hard enough. I hope it's the latter, pride notwithstanding!

jiffypop
-- Nah. When my leg got messed up due to the old bone tumor my life was in pretty big shambles. I owe a lot to hospitals and the Medicaid thing never quite could go through. I don't know if I could get it now due to those old bills for the MRI, etc going to collectors, but I do need to find out. If it turns out I can get it, I'm going to look into WLS ASAP. Chances are it's negatory, though.

Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 10-17-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

darlin - just gotta point out that in the last 2-3 months you've lost 14 pounds!!! you should be EXTREMELY proud of yourself for that - and NOT beating yourself up that you think you should have lost more. Most experts consider a loss of 1-2 pounds a week to be appropriate. and you're right on target with that! and it sounds like you're being consistent with that.

We ALL want the weight to come off the minute we decide it should go, but it doesn't work that way. unfortunately.

While you work on figuring out the surgical angle, the lessons you're learning, strategies you're developing, etc, will only help you if and when you have surgery. in the meantime, you're going in the right direction, and it sounds like you're doing it the right way.

BTW, how old are you? and when was the last time you had a physical? i think it's beyond time that you have one -
Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #11  
You'll be given love...

Very, very good advice here. I guess my mind has just had enough of being in this body and is glitching out due to it not happening fast enough!

And I am 27 years old. I haven't had a physical since high school. Kind of afraid to have one, you know? I'm a bit of a recluse, but I am trying to change that at least by working walks into my regime. As for the weight loss I have a crushing worry its mostly water. I got on the scale and its up to freaking 305.1. I hope its just a random fluctuation in weight.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

just keep on track. BTW, did you know that you can use STRING to measure yourself? and you can mark your progress on it with markers or something.

and tracking your food and exercise is a good idea. you'll be able to see exactly what's happening - and what you might want to tweak.

breathe, honey!!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #13  
You'll be given love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisen View Post
As some one who's been paying off unintended medical bills for the last year, I would really caution you against taking on too much debt if your income isn't secure! Not to mention that WLS is a surgery - what happens if you have complications? Will you be able to pay the bills if you wind up needing an extended hospital stay, medications, etc?

Especially when WLS isn't a guaranteed success - while many people who have it are successful, others are not. It seems like a lot to risk for something that isn't 100% guaranteed to work. (I should clarify that I haven't had WLS myself, but have had friends/relatives undergo the procedure with mixed results.)

One thing to consider - at your height and weight, 1,400 calories may not be nearly enough. If you eat too little, your body hangs on to fat in order to protect itself. I'd definitely recommend signing up for a website like Livestrong or SparkPeople - both have calculators that show how many calories you need to consume to lose weight each week (based on your basal metabolic rate).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
just keep on track. BTW, did you know that you can use STRING to measure yourself? and you can mark your progress on it with markers or something.

and tracking your food and exercise is a good idea. you'll be able to see exactly what's happening - and what you might want to tweak.

breathe, honey!!!!
String?!

....Brilliant! I may try this!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

My surgery was free as part of a study about people with Type 2 and a BMI between 35-40. My blood sugar has been perfect since the surgery, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, you may want to find out if there are any studies that you qualify for.

That said, however, I have health insurance that would cover any complications or anything. I would be wary of having such a major surgery without any coverage.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #15  
You'll be given love...

Gah, that would be freakin' awesome. I've never seen these studies in Kentucky though.