Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/136/125

Height: 5'2"

Default sauce recipes

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for tarter sauce and/or barbeque sauce Phase 1 or 2 on the South Beach? Thanks!
meanmom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Oh no, no replies since 2010! I also would love some kind of bbq sauce recipe. I'm thinking low-sugar ketchup, some vinegar, some Splenda, onion and garlic powder? guess I should just go ahead and experiment.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Well, guess what...since I'm stranded at home, I went ahead and researched low / no-carb BBQ recipes, and found this! I will print it first as I found it; then I will tell you how I tweaked it.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/sau...arbbqsauce.htm

Sugar Free BBQ Sauce (source - About.com)

Ingredients:

2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine (or see note)
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola - Splenda-sweetened preferred(see note)
1/4 cup low carb (sugar-free) catsup, (or see note)
3 T mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch ground cloves
Hot sauce to taste

Preparation:

Note 1: If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke, to taste, near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste.

Note 2: Splenda-sweetened cola is preferred, as aspartame tends to lose it's sweetness when heated for long periods of time.

Note 3: If you can't find low carb catsup, leave it out, but add about a tablespoon of vinegar and some sweetener, to taste.

1) Fry the bacon in a saucepan - a 2 qt pan works well.

2) Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes. Add garlic at this point if you're using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.

3) Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well. 4) Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine. 5) Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)

The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.

My Version - of using what I had on hand.

Low Carb-B-Q Sauce

1 large onion, minced fine
1Tbsp. olive oil - heat the oil, saute the onion until soft and transparent.

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
12 oz. can tomato paste
2 - 12 oz. cans diet cola (I used Coke zero, what I had on hand)
3 Tbsp. dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. yellow mustard (You could use dry mustard powder, but alot less than 3Tbsp., I just have alot of prepared mustard in the fridge)
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
dash of horseradish - add all the above, stir well. Simmer over low heat for a while. Taste and see what you think it might need.

This made 4 cups.

The onions do make it chunky/lumpy. I suppose one could puree the whole mess to make it smooth, if you wanted? We like onions in this house so that's ok
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote