Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

Default tinkering with Medifast

I cross posted this to Low carb since it seems more active

So, as with many things in my life, I have a hard time leaving things alone or following directions specifically. I am currently on Medifast and have been for a few weeks now. I am losing weight.

I know that the Medifast program was developed by doctors and has lots of research backing it, but I also think it hasn't been updated in awhile.

Two of the things that bother me about Medifast is the amount of sugar they use and the type of sugar alcohol they use (malitol).

Sugar=cravings & hunger (or so research tells me). So why using so much of it?
Malitol has the highest Glycemic Index of any of the sugar alcohol's, others taste just as good and have lower GI's.

My normal day on Medifast is on average:

Calories 858 kcal/day
Protein 107 g/day
Total Carbohydrate 81 g/day
Total Fat 19 g/day

So here comes the tinkering part.

1. I have been toying with the idea of replacing one of the Medifast meal replacements with 1/2 cup of low-fat or fat free cottage cheese daily. That will reduce the daily carbs by 7-10 and increase the protein by 2-3.

2. I love fruit and I am really missing it, I'd like to add in, once or twice a week a serving of fruit. I know it will bump up my carbs on those days, but I have thought of doing the fruit on the days I exercise (starting back to exercising this week)

3. Am considering (this is further down on the list) of replacing SOME (not all) of the Medifast shakes with a lower carb protein shake (Muscle Milk light or something).

Any thoughts on my tinkering ideas? Anyone else here tinkered with this plan?
keziah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #2  

My thoughts (from a fellow tinker):

for #2: If your carbs go over about 100g you will throw yourself out of ketosis. How long does it take you to get back into ketosis? For me it's around 5 days. Some people say they do after a day. For me, it would not be worth it as by the time I get back to burning fat, I'd be eating fruit again tossing me back out yet again.

For #1 and #3: The only thing I can say is the meals are formulated to give you 20% of all your vitamins for the day. This is why they say no daily vitamin (otherwise you can seriously overdose yourself) while on the plan. If you drop a meal you are not getting your full vitamins. Not that I'm saying don't do it, it's just the only thing I can think of that might affect your decision.

#3 sidenote: I order the diabetic shakes as they have less carbs. Medifast has stated that anyone can drink it as it's not formulated solely for diabetics.

Have you looked into the 4-2+snack that is listed in the diabetic materials? Some people report to have better luck with that plan then the 5-1 plan. Also I recommend browsing the "Dietitians Support" forum on the mymedifast site.

I do not believe that sugar = craving. At least not a ketosis levels. If my carbs are 90, the average 70, or the rare 50, my cravings are the same on medifast... zero. Now if I'm off medifast and I'm eating 200+ BAD sugar carbs (refined, soda, junk food) I will have cravings.
Lilyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #3  

Have you considered doing Wondrslim? That plan allows fruit.
ariesgirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #4  

I am considering it, but would like more info, their site does not provide as detailed of info about what the plan to follow is, its a little confusing
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #5  

http://www.dietdirect.com/wonderslim...diet-plan.aspx
ariesgirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #6  

Thanks, I read that but am still confused.

So it says the daily plan is
3 meal replacements
3 protein supplements
1 snack bar
1 lean and green

Then the menu includes fruit which is confusing me because its not on the daily plan.
Also on the menu it says
Breakfast: 1 WonderSlim® Pudding/Shake OR Smoothie
1 WonderSlim® Hot Cakes OR Crunch Cereal OR Hot Oatmeal
1 Optional OR 1 Dairy
Does that mean I have a shake, cereal and something else for breakfast? all of that?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6

I was reading it too and it also says I starch at dinner... does anyone follow Wonderslim only? What are your weight loss results weekly?
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote