Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #1  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Question Any C25K success stories?

Hi guys,

I just started the C25K on Tuesday and was wondering if there are any success stories on this forum. Have any of you started out as a true newbie, not able to run for a minute straight and finished the program? And are now regularly running?

I always wanted to be a runner but was scared and I think this program is the way for me to go.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I did it last year. I ran my first 5K over Christmas and ran a few more races up until the spring. I didn't run all summer but I'm back running now and have run the 5k distance again. I have a 4 mile race on Thanksgiving that I'm currently training for.

The program works. When I started, the minute runs were ****!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #3  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I did it So far I've run in 2 organized 5k runs and loved them both I still haven't made the 30 minute 5k but I've come close.

I'm training for 10k now and I'll be running that by spring, from there my ultimate goal is a half marathon.

Wait until you get a runners high and you'll be hooked. You'll be physically exhausted but exillerated, hyper and thrilled all at the same time. Another bonus is that you'll probably sleep like a rock on the days that you run.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post

Wait until you get a runners high and you'll be hooked.
Can't wait until I get that runner's high
Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #5  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I started the C25K in January and completed it at the end of March/beginning of April I think it was. I ran my first 5k race in July and have since worked up to running 8k non-stop. I am a slow runner, but the fact that I can do it still amazes me. And yes, that runner's high is THE best feeling, even if you're totally exhausted afterwards lol.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #6  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I am a Couch to 5K survivor!

I literally got up off the couch and started running. I had done no exercise in years and had never run before in my life.

My first day, just doing the 5 minute warm-up walk made me huff & puff and my legs were cramping. I barely managed to "run" 45 seconds of the 60 second run intervals. I only completed 15 minutes because I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get home.

Six weeks later (and only on W4 of C25K) I did my first 5K. I managed to run 1 mile, walk 1 mile, and run the final mile. I finished with a time of 46:31.

Six weeks after that, my C25K graduation run was another 5K. One with lots and lots of enormous scary hills. I was able to run all of it except the hills and finished with a time of 43:36.

I totally believe in and endorse the C25K program. It changed my life and made me fall in love with running. I run 3 times a week and can run as much as 4 miles. I've improved my 5K time by 8 minutes in just 3 months. My best time for a 5K distance is now 38:32.

Good luck! C25K is awesome!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I actually tried two days of the C25K program in February 2009. I could not do it. I was so out of shape that I could not handle the 60 seconds of running. I got discouraged and just told myself that I was not a runner, I would find other exercises. And I did. I started walking, which was still a struggle, but I went every day, slowly working up to several miles a day. I also eventually added some cardio/strength training DVDs. Fast forward to summer, I was bored with my exercise. I had been walking every day but I was up to walking 4-6 miles at 4mph 5 days a week, and it just wasn't keeping my interest anymore so I figured I would give running another chance. I set myself up with the idea that I was in no rush to complete the program. I could repeat weeks as often as I needed to, if I couldn't do the 60 seconds then I would do as much as I could, then try again another day. That time it finally came together. I was in better shape, I had lost some weight. I breezed through the program not needing to repeat weeks and finished a 5K in 36 minutes on Thanksgiving Day 2009. It wasn't lightening speed, but I ran the whole thing and was far from last crossing the finish line.

Don't be afraid to try the program, modify it to fit your fitness level, or even start with walking, then transition into running.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #8  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Yes it definitely works if you stick with it AND take it slowly. Especially the take it slowly part. I started C25K a million times (ok like 6 times) and usually gave up around week 4 because I was simply running too fast for my fitless level and ability at the time. The key to finally finishing it was running/jogging SLOWLY (so slowly in fact, that I could have walked faster). And at the time I finished I was definitely NOT running a 5k in the 30minutes BUT I had a basis to start building my speed. Yes I found I WAS able to run a 5k (in 52ish minutes which is BEYOND SLOW... again I could probably walk 5k in less time) but the consistent running motion was there, and now 6 weeks later, I've already shaved 8 minutes off that time and am now running 5k in about 44 minutes (still generally considered slow but I don't even care!)

So what am I saying... do I love running? Not particularly. But then I'm one of the most sedentary people you'll ever meet. However, there is absolutely NOTHING like the achievement of accomplishing your goal of finishing your run, or of improving your time. It's a total high!

In answer to your question, to be fair, I didn't start from actual "couch" but pretty close. I walked a lot and did Leslie Sansone WATP videos consistently for 2-3 weeks before starting. I also did 30 Day Shred during this time (and nothing makes 30DS seem easy like some of those C25K runs)! You can do it!

Just remember start slow. Redefine your idea of what running is, you don't have to start with your heels kicking your own butt, racing anywhere, pounding the pavement, in the beginning, just a "boosted walk/" mild jog as slow as you can without it being a walk. It'll make it a lot easier, and get your body used to the motion, and if it's not "I'm-about-to-die" hard, then you're more likely to enjoy it and want to repeat the experience. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Although I'm only about half-way through the program, I still consider myself a success story! I have NEVER been a long distance runner. Even in my high school days of playing soccer, the most I could run was about 1-1.5 miles. When I started the program about 4 weeks ago, the idea of running even 1 minute at a time was incredibly frightening. I did it, but with a lot of effort. Every week thus far, I've always been so intimidated by the amount of running, but I always do it! The program really does work.

I did Day 1 of Week 4 today, and the idea of running 5 minutes straight seemed literally impossible. But I did it! I guess running has a huge mental aspect to it....I kept telling myself to KEEP GOING and I always finished. Of course, there's no harm or shame in repeating a week. But you'll surprise yourself I think. I know I did. Good luck!!
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #10  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey Slim! I just started on Monday! I did my second run today and thought I was gonna die, but I pushed through You can do it!
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #11  

I have my next run scheduled for tomorrow evening....and I hope I can just push through it. Your stories are all very encouraging.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #12  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I started C25K in September 2008, running in a pair of cheap trainers. After the first week I did some damage to my foot and had to stop. So for my birthday at the end of October I asked for some new running shoes. And my sister also gave me some proper running tops, and I started again once my foot was better. The day I finished it I was so high!!

My first race was a 10K in May 2009. Since then I have done 2 organised 5Ks and another 10K, and I regularly run 3 or 4 miles 3 times a week.

I found at last week I had got through the ballot for the 2011 London Marathon, so I am now in pre-training for that after a lazy summer, running-wise. I am scared but thrilled and excited!

Running is the most amazing exercise - it tones so much more than just your legs. I was about half way through the C25K when I found my stomach muscles were emerging and my legs are transformed - they look so much better.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsia View Post
I was about half way through the C25K when I found my stomach muscles were emerging and my legs are transformed - they look so much better.
Stomach muscles? Are you sure? Cuz I have a little pooch that I am dying to get rid of and I was wondering if running would help!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #14  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

It didn't so much as get rid of my stomach fat, more tone the muscles underneath it, if you see what I mean. I still have stomach flab. But it definitely did help, and waist muscles as well - I guess you use your core as you run.

It certainly won't do any harm to try.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #15  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

I started C25K on Sunday. Today is W1D3 for me. I always wanted to be a runner, but told myself that I didn't have the body type for it, I was too heavy, I couldn't do it, etc. I made up my mind that I was going to just go out and do it. Day 1 was absolutely horrid, so horrid in fact, that I seriously considered never trying it again. I literally had to tell myself that I WAS going to go out and try it again. I did Day 2 on Tuesday and it was so much better. I'm honestly looking forward to tonight. I truly believe that running is a mental challenge much more than it is a physical challenge. You have to convince your mind that your body is capable of doing it.
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote