100 lb. Club - Dropping calories is always hard

View Full Version : Dropping calories is always hard

Eliana
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Ppppt. :p

I feel like a newbie. I was plodding along quite well, happily eating my calories and my body had adjusted nicely. It was easy. I was in total control!

Then the weight loss stopped. So now I'm trying to drop the calories, largely by cutting out sweets.

It's hard! :tantrum: It's like starting all over again! I can't seem to get a "good" day under my belt! Now none of these days have been OFF plan at all...they've just been days like every other day of this past year.

But I can't seem to get ONE day without chocolate in some form or other. Previously I was allowing chocolate. I can't seem to get through even just one day within my new calorie range. It feels exactly like it did at the beginning. I am ravenous and childishly feeling like I'll never get to eat chocolate again, which is ridiculous considering I haven't actually denied myself chocolate yet! :rofl:

Anyway...I know a few of you out there fighting the same thing right now. Here's a shout out to all the newbie-old-timers.. ;)

By the way, today so far has been good. But the trouble starts around 3:30...it's only 1:30. I'm already ravenous, which is not good! My plan is to attack the hunger with a bowl of veggies when I get home. NOT chocolate!

kuchick
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Eliana - this is exactly where I am! I finally dropped another pound, but I'm moving so slow. My downfall lately is sweet potatoes - I'm addicted - and DH brought home sweet potato chips last night. I gave him a list - what made him think that he should improvise?! I have to cut my calories a little more but - I don't wanna, don't wanna, don't wanna....:tantrum:

On the upside - nasty SIL who I haven't seen in probably 8 months walked right past me at Walmart and didn't seem to recognize me! Maybe I can use this to hide from her at family gatherings over the holidays???? :)

rockinrobin
10-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Get. The. Chocolate. Out. Of. The. House. Instead of having to be *so strong*, don't have it available. You can't eat it if it's not there.

Know exactly what you will be eating instead of the chocolate. Have something ready and good to go when the hunger hits.

Remember your soda addiction (I read about it recently on another thread)? Same thing with chocolate. But you will have to work through a few uncomfortable moments. Push yourself. You're working SO hard - kick it up a notch. Amaze yourself. :)

kulchick, sweet potatoes are something I do not do in moderation. Pure candy to me, disguised as a veggie. As healthy as they are, they don't work for me. The only times I really eat them is when I'm out in a restaurant. I order one and I am therefore guaranteed to not eat more than that.

SCraver
10-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Could you maybe "wean" yourself off? Do HALF a piece of chocolate a day for a while? Or maybe a piece every OTHER day?

time2lose
10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
How many calories per day are you going to? I found it hard when I went from 1500 to 1200. I ended up making it a range of 1200 - 1300 and find that difficult at times, but to balance that, sometimes 1200 is easy. It is surprising how much difference that 300 calories make to me.

VickieLou
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Good Luck, Eliana! From a chocoholic. I have to keep it out of the house.
Unless, it's frozen.

duckyyellowfeet
10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm with Robin on this one. I can't have it in my house; if it isn't here, I don't have the dedication enough to go out and buy it.

And you will get to have it again! Its not like someone is going to eat it all while you're off chocolate ;)

kuchick
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I've been putting a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my smoothie in the morning (I have one for breakfast) and I've convinced myself that it's the only chocolate I need for the day. Maybe you could try something like that? I know it's not the same as really good chocolate, but it might be worth a try. Plus the smoothie tastes like a chocolate-strawberry shake, so it feels like a cheat.

As far as the sweet potato addiction, as long as I don't have leftover cooked sweet potatoes, I'm okay. I hate peeling and chopping sweet potatoes, so the uncooked ones in the pantry are safe. I always have to be careful to only cook one serving for myself though or I'll eat them like candy the next day.

xty
10-13-2010, 07:00 PM
rockinrobin - exactly! get it out of reach!

and what works for me, especially on sugar, is to cut it OFF for at least a week before you try to do moderation. its addictive, really strong dopamine reaction in the brain. and really, im better if I just steer 100% clear.

god Im having flashbacks to a peanut butter mnm incident earlier this year - we started stocking them in the office and i couldnt stop taking 3-4 here and there as a 'treat'. had to cut myself off 100% as the line between 30 extra calories and 300 extra calories blurred fast.

lovemyboy
10-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I eat the extra dark (90% cacao) kind because I can eat it in controlled portions There is very little sugar in it so I can be in control.

krampus
10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Another vote for "don't keep it in the house." There's nothing more awful than staring at a food you're not supposed to eat and having it within reach!

I keep my house bare-bones empty with no ready-to-eat food at all besides bananas and buy my groceries one day at a time because I'm almost always too lazy to walk 10 minutes to the 7-11 to buy a snack.

Tai
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't know if this will trigger you to want the real thing, but I love diet cocoa. The kind I drink has 25 calories. I find it really filling and satisfying and kind of comforting now that our weather has turned colder.

Eliana
10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I was eating chocolate chips daily, and I finally DID stop buying them. I discovered I wasn't the only one in the family having issues with them. But chocolate is EVERYWHERE! Even if it's not in the house, it's at work.

And right now my house is stocked with crap, unfortunately. :( We supported the kids across the street by buying Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, frozen, ready to bake. Oh my! And DH had to have the brownies. And my birthday cake has been hanging out all week. And my boys are selling popcorn. We bought the chocolate covered variety as way of helping them out. I didn't think they'd sell more than $200 worth so we bought the $40 popcorn. :rolleyes: Then they each sold $500!! I've been white knuckling it against all that. This is so unusual at our house. We usually have nothing like any of that. And I can usually throw away left over birthday cake, but DH actually made this one, so I couldn't throw it away! It's one thing when I make it...it's quite another when HE makes it, something I think he's down twice in our marriage.

Excuses, excuses. :rolleyes:

Cheryl, I'm trying 1000. 1200 wasn't working anymore. And in fact 1200 this week has me up five pounds. I've been trying 1000 but I can't seem to manage it. I'm not worried about the five pounds because I'm pretty sure I'm losing inches with that gain. I think it's water retention. I finally found that sweet spot at the gym again where I tax my muscles to the point of utter I-can't-lift-that-silly-5-lb-weight-even-one-more-time fatigue. :D That means success to me. And I think that means I'm toning again. It's been a while since I was able to push myself to that extent.

Anyway, thanks for the support! And Kuchick, sweet potatoes as your treat is cracking me up. I like them...but I think I like them as a vegetable. LOL! I used to smother them in butter and cinnamon and sugar. That was candy! But just a sweet potato with a touch of butter is a vegetable. I have not problem eating a portion. I guess that's a good thing! How funny.

And what about the "I don't want to" reaction to giving up chocolate? :rofl: I wanted to give up pop. I knew I wouldn't miss it. I knew it wasn't healthy. There's just something about chocolate...

Cookc04
10-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep keep it out of the house.
Don't buy it
Don't go shopping hungry
avoid the isles with chocolate and bad things - if you have to get something else from that isle get 4 times the about you would usually to save yourself the temptation
for the tempters at work - you can get chocolate protein bars, keep one or two in your handbag and only use in case of emergency, incase you can't resist -but try to resist.
I've only just started calorie counting - and already I'm noticing what are the most satisfying 'bang for the calorie' for me at the moment - it's humous on warmed lebanese bread at midday and the skinny cappuccinos at 2:30pm gets me through to dinner.

Obsidianbbw
10-14-2010, 09:30 AM
whenever my boss (and I've picked up this habit from him) has baked goods, candy or something he doesn't eat he brings it into work. He used to put it on oun the credenza by me, but we had a talk about that. I would share the lovely goods. have hubby take them to work, offer some to the neighbors, homeless shelters. I do the samething when i support the annual girl scout cookie selling frenzy, buy a box, have a few and leave the rest for co-workers.

rockinrobin
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
And what about the "I don't want to" reaction to giving up chocolate? I wanted to give up pop. I knew I wouldn't miss it. I knew it wasn't healthy. There's just something about chocolate...

Oh and chocolate IS healthy??? Since when???? And even if it WERE healthy, if you're overeating it and it's causing you weight gain AND anxiety, where the heck is the health benefits?

I know it's chocolate - I mean it's CHOCOLATE... but believe it or not, after a few weeks, you won't miss it. It's got you hooked. You've got to break the hold it's got on you. As hard as it is to imagine, you really won't. And I'll second the 25 calorie hot chocolate. I have one or two every day.

And I'd be a total wreck with all those drugs, I mean snacks in my home too. What. The. Heck. Are. You. Thinking???

You wanna help out the kids? Fine. Give em' the money. They'll take it without you actually having to take the drugs, I mean the snacks, into your home.

I don't know, I always speak of how important it is to set oneself up for success. SEems to me you are setting yourself up for failure. Or at least unneeded torture.

Sweet potatoes, by the way, need nothing on them. Wrap them in foil, bake in the oven till tender. Why do they need butter, I don't get it???

And if you wanna put in a few days of 1000 (or 1200 for that matter) calories, you had best make sure each and every calorie is a filling, nutritious one. OTher wise it will be virtually impossible to stick with and impossible to enjoy - hence why you can't stick with it.

Take a deep breath here, take the plunge, rid your house of the drugs, I mean the junk. You won't regret it. You'll wonder why you were so hesitant. Anticipation is always worse than the actual event. You'll see. Do it!

Eliana
10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Robin, I always love the tough love. ;) At first the hair on the back of my neck bristles...then I always take a step back and am always better for it. :D

I do not want to ban chocolate forever...but I can ban it until I reach goal, or at least maintenance. And knowing me, I'll want to continue the ban. You know me and my timeline commitments. :rolleyes: It's just easier to say, "Ok, I'll ban it until _____"

In addition, I need to plan better for veggies. I have weird issues with veggies, more OCD than anything, I think. I love them roasted, but that takes 20-30 minutes and when I'm searching for sweets I've generally passed the point where I can make myself wait...seriously. I've thought about having roasted veggies to reheat, but reheated veggies FEEL like they have no nutrients. Again, it's gotta be OCD. Cooked veggies in general do not feel right. In my mind they're supposed to be raw. But the raw veggies I eat are not filling to me: carrots, celery, broccoli. I can't have raw spinach or that would be an excellent solution! Peas, corn and green beans don't feel like veggies. :dizzy: Writing it out, I see that my thinking is bizarre.

I think it stems from the way my mom cooked vegetables. She didn't like them, but she was a good mom and made them for us anyway. All vegetables (broccoli, green beans, corn, peas...that was it) were boiled in a full pot of water for a full half hour. All nutrients were cooked out! And I knew it! Now I do not do that. I cook them so that they retain their nutrients. But it doesn't matter. If they're cooked, my brain is wired to think I took the nutrients out.

Tai
10-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Eliana, I did something similar to what you're describing. I banned chocolate (and many other things!) during the time I was losing. Now that I'm maintaining I have one serving twice a week of either candy or ice cream. I'm happy with the one serving and it doesn't trigger me to want more. It's a trial and error thing; you'll find what works for you.

VickieLou
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Eliana, have you tried sugar snap peas. They sell them in small snack size bags. I'm going to munch on some now. :)

synger
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
And right now my house is stocked with crap, unfortunately. :( We supported the kids across the street by buying Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, frozen, ready to bake. Oh my! And DH had to have the brownies. And my birthday cake has been hanging out all week. And my boys are selling popcorn. We bought the chocolate covered variety as way of helping them out.

This is when it's nice to have a church or club or workplace you go to. My husband got an itch in his bonnet to make cupcakes last week... when he KNOWS one of my trigger foods is unfrosted cake. Fortunately he made them on Saturday (two batches, no less! -- one yellow and one chocolate), and I was very happy to take them to church the next morning so people could enjoy them with their coffee (and so *I* didn't have to deal with them anymore).

With candy in the house (which DD and DH get weekly), I don't let it sit out. We have a "cookie jar" that's been repurposed as a "candy jar". So long as it's in there, I don't have to look at it. G's treats for her school lunch go in another cupboard. Out of sight, out of mind.

Sometimes, getting it out of the house completely is an option. Other times, the rest of the family will balk if you take away their treats, too, so a compromise is in order. If you can do it, putting stuff away out of sight can be very helpful. It is for me!

And for those things that I absolutely cannot have in the house, I just make them suck it up and go without. No Oreos allowed. You want 'em, you go buy 'em and eat 'em elsewhere. I compromise on ice cream, on chips, and on candy. I will not compromise on Oreos or Bugles.

Tai
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I forgot to add the suggestion of trying raw cauliflower. I love it; eat it almost every day and find it very filling.

Good luck!

katy trail
10-14-2010, 01:09 PM
i don't boil any veggies, unless its in a soup.
if the veggies aren't filling. try new ones.
beans are the cheapest and most filling thing in the store. if you have to, count those as veggies.

duckyyellowfeet
10-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Just as a suggestion, next time, just write a check directly to the organization you're trying to support.

When I was doing Girl Scouts forevers ago, that was the absolute best option anyways. We made about a $1 per box that was sold. When someone made just a donation, we didn't have to report it; therefore, we got to keep the whole amount. So, if you say "I don't want the cookies, but here is $10 to help support your troop" you're actually making a larger donation AND avoiding having all that junk in the house.

OrganizedChaos
10-14-2010, 04:58 PM
I really needed to read this post today. I have been feeling really down about how slow the weight loss has been lately, and a few weeks ago after re-evaluating my calories intake again, I realized I needed to cut some more calories. Which, btw, really ticks me off. You would think that as a reward for being smaller you could eat more, but as I get smaller I keep having to cut. It blows my mind that I am down to 1600 calories a day, I have no idea how some of you are doing it at 1000 to 1200 a day. By 2:00pm in the afternoon I am ravenous. I find my only way around it is to be super busy, so I now book all my meetings at work in the afternoon so I am not at my desk plundering through my drawers looking for a rice cake or a pretzel. I think I am going to check out calorie zig-zagging to see if that will help light a fire under the weight loss again. Either way though, even if it is slow, I refuse to give up. I was just so relieved to read it isn't just me!

Thanks for letting me vent, share, ramble!

rockinrobin
10-14-2010, 05:27 PM
By 2:00pm in the afternoon I am ravenous. I find my only way around it is to be super busy, so I now book all my meetings at work in the afternoon so I am not at my desk plundering through my drawers looking for a rice cake or a pretzel.
!

You mentioned rice cakes and pretzels - if these are part of your diet - that could be a reason why you are ravenous. In order to not get hungry while adhering to a calorie budget you must really, really eat highly nutritious foods, because those nutritious foods are the ones that keep you full and satiated. Rice cakes and pretzels are empty calories which are not filling and you'll be starving in no time.

What does your menu look like? PErhaps we can help you to tweak it so you can get some more filling power from your calories. And don't forget snacks. If you're hungry at 2:00 - eat something. Something that's been planned, accounted for and filling.

You would think that as a reward for being smaller you could eat more, but as I get smaller I keep having to cut.

And the reward for being smaller is that you are smaller ;). And with being smaller comes countless rewards and benefits. But yes, the smaller we are, the less calories we require to run. You may also want to try increasing your exercise.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way. Phenomenal!!

PaulaM
10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
It's SO much easier to increase exercise than it is to keep cutting calories.

rockinrobin
10-14-2010, 06:42 PM

For some yes, for others no. There is no one size fits all solution here.

Not every one can up their exercise so easily. There are time constraints.

There's also the combination of increasing exercise, decreasing calories.

Changing the quality of ones calories can also be helpful.

ubergirl
10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Interesting thread.

I've been struggling a lot with this concept lately. I'm not losing on 1200-1300 calories a day....and I DID experiment with 1000 calories per day during the month of July. I was staying by myself on a research fellowship and it was very hot. I switched to a vegetarian only plan and consistently stayed below 1200 for an entire month while running 2-3 miles about 5 days a week. During that month I think I lost 3 lbs.... but in "real life" while eating family meals, going to work, etc. etc. I could not sustain 1000 calories...

So, I veer back and forth. Sometimes I think that I have a sustainable healthy eating plan that I feel like I could manage easily for the rest of my life, and probably if I eat this way forever, I'll slowly shed the last 30 lbs I'd like to lose and that I should get out of the "mission to lose weight" mode now.

Other times I feel like I don't want to settle for where I am now and I think of all kinds of drastic solutions-- like liquid diets or very low calorie diets...

I am different from a lot of people here in that I can keep "bad stuff" in my house without any trouble. Right now, I have cookie dough in my fridge, candy lying on the coffee table right in front of me, and ice cream in my fridge.

I never touch the stuff-- it's on my mental "no" list and that's that.

Where I run into trouble is the stuff that can fit into my plan but that I might want to overeat-- recently, I've had some trouble with almonds. We have always kept them in the house and I've always stayed away from them, but then I started eating measured portions sometimes... mistake. Two weeks ago, I took a closed bag and put it away in the cupboard, out of sight out of mind, but then, yesterday I opened the cupboard to make a cup of tea and ended up eating a serving of almonds.

I don't know if that really answers your question Eliana. I don't have a problem with chocolate, but I do have foods I have trouble drawing the line with-- weird stuff like lentils that I simply cannot moderate....

If you really want to eat chocolate, maybe you should just incorporate it into your calories. It's only if you are eating too much that it becomes a problem.

WebRover
10-15-2010, 03:45 AM
I agree with the recommendation to have a planned, healthy snack for mid-afternoon. When I have a snack, I'm fine. If I don't, I'm on the hunt for chocolate. Some other ideas, half a green, red, yellow or orange bell pepper cut in strips (with hummus). Celery (with nut butter). Cherry tomatoes. 10 mixed nuts. 2% Cottage cheese. Low fat string cheese. Radishes.

Eliana
10-15-2010, 08:11 AM
I really needed to read this post today. I have been feeling really down about how slow the weight loss has been lately, and a few weeks ago after re-evaluating my calories intake again, I realized I needed to cut some more calories. Which, btw, really ticks me off. You would think that as a reward for being smaller you could eat more, but as I get smaller I keep having to cut. It blows my mind that I am down to 1600 calories a day, I have no idea how some of you are doing it at 1000 to 1200 a day. By 2:00pm in the afternoon I am ravenous. I find my only way around it is to be super busy, so I now book all my meetings at work in the afternoon so I am not at my desk plundering through my drawers looking for a rice cake or a pretzel. I think I am going to check out calorie zig-zagging to see if that will help light a fire under the weight loss again. Either way though, even if it is slow, I refuse to give up. I was just so relieved to read it isn't just me!

Thanks for letting me vent, share, ramble!
I think the 1200 range is more for short folks. ;) I really do. Or maybe not just for short folks but for folks for whom that seems to be what the body runs on. I have experienced what it feels like to not have enough fuel. Once I was on a 26 mile bike ride and another time a 5 mile hike when I became sick, dizzy and near to passing out. That was scary. It meant I didn't have enough fuel. Contrast that with the energy I have every day on 1000-1200 calories and I know I must be ok. How I feel is more important to me than some caloric number.

I've thought about zig-zagging too. I kind of already do, without meaning to. :rofl: I also find that I eat the least on days I am the most busy.

Eliana
10-15-2010, 08:13 AM

This doesn't work for me, and I'm really not sure why. The more I exercise, the more I stall. And that's fine! Stalling usually means I'm losing inches or toning something somewhere. But I don't generally notice any weight loss with an increase in exercise. I wish it was that easy because I am a gym nut. ;)

Weight loss truly seems to be 80% diet for me.

Eliana
10-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Interesting thread.

I've been struggling a lot with this concept lately. I'm not losing on 1200-1300 calories a day....and I DID experiment with 1000 calories per day during the month of July. I was staying by myself on a research fellowship and it was very hot. I switched to a vegetarian only plan and consistently stayed below 1200 for an entire month while running 2-3 miles about 5 days a week. During that month I think I lost 3 lbs.... but in "real life" while eating family meals, going to work, etc. etc. I could not sustain 1000 calories...

So, I veer back and forth. Sometimes I think that I have a sustainable healthy eating plan that I feel like I could manage easily for the rest of my life, and probably if I eat this way forever, I'll slowly shed the last 30 lbs I'd like to lose and that I should get out of the "mission to lose weight" mode now.

Other times I feel like I don't want to settle for where I am now and I think of all kinds of drastic solutions-- like liquid diets or very low calorie diets...

I am different from a lot of people here in that I can keep "bad stuff" in my house without any trouble. Right now, I have cookie dough in my fridge, candy lying on the coffee table right in front of me, and ice cream in my fridge.

Where I run into trouble is the stuff that can fit into my plan but that I might want to overeat-- recently, I've had some trouble with almonds. We have always kept them in the house and I've always stayed away from them, but then I started eating measured portions sometimes... mistake. Two weeks ago, I took a closed bag and put it away in the cupboard, out of sight out of mind, but then, yesterday I opened the cupboard to make a cup of tea and ended up eating a serving of almonds.

I don't know if that really answers your question Eliana. I don't have a problem with chocolate, but I do have foods I have trouble drawing the line with-- weird stuff like lentils that I simply cannot moderate....

If you really want to eat chocolate, maybe you should just incorporate it into your calories. It's only if you are eating too much that it becomes a problem.

Oh wow. I hadn't realized how much you'd cut your calories without a lot of success. Ignore all my past advice. :D Clearly that's not working for you. I don't know...I think your body is pretty happy where it is, and why shouldn't it be? You do look phenomenal! But I understand the desire to really get there.

OrganizedChaos
10-15-2010, 09:39 AM
You mentioned rice cakes and pretzels - if these are part of your diet - that could be a reason why you are ravenous. In order to not get hungry while adhering to a calorie budget you must really, really eat highly nutritious foods, because those nutritious foods are the ones that keep you full and satiated. Rice cakes and pretzels are empty calories which are not filling and you'll be starving in no time.

What does your menu look like? PErhaps we can help you to tweak it so you can get some more filling power from your calories. And don't forget snacks. If you're hungry at 2:00 - eat something. Something that's been planned, accounted for and filling.

Sorry! That statement was actually my lame attempt at humor. I have been experimenting for a few months now with some high protein lower calorie afternoon snacks to help with the afternoon hunger, but I have also realized that it really stems from being bored, which apparently working is boring for me. :yawn: I eat a pretty well rounded diet. A typical afternoon snack for me is a skim milk mozzarella stick (50 calories, 6gm protein) and a 100 calorie glass of Muscle Milk by GoLean. I have been wearing a GoWearFit armband since January and food logging with it. It was a real eye opener for me back then. I realized I was eating more than I thought I was even though I had been "dieting" for 3 months by then. I am someone who struggles to get my daily dose of veggies in, but I do it.

And the reward for being smaller is that you are smaller ;). And with being smaller comes countless rewards and benefits. But yes, the smaller we are, the less calories we require to run. You may also want to try increasing your exercise.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way. Phenomenal!!

:thanks: It hasn't always been easy but it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done for myself. My one year anniversay is coming up on Oct. 26th and back then if you had told me that one year later I would be 120 pounds less I would have really doubted you, but I went in to this knowing it would not be easy and it may take several years and I am OK with that. Along with the discovery of how much I was packing away every day I also realized I needed to incorporate more exercise into my daily routine. At the time I wasn't doing very much at all. I began walking on my lunch break and have worked up from there to walking/running 3-4 miles a day 4 days a week and strength training 3 days a week. I also take 2 zumba classes a week on the days I do not run and a step interval class on Saturday mornings that is actually my hardest workout. I will be running my first official 5K on November 13th.

This thread just reminded me that I am not alone and I am so thankful to have these boards to read.

Eliana
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
My one year anniversay is coming up on Oct. 26th and back then if you had told me that one year later I would be 120 pounds less I would have really doubted you,

I hadn't realized we started at the same time. My one year will be November 9th. I'm hoping to make that 80 pound mark by then. I had never before understood the concept that the year is going to pass whether I lose weight or not, so why not just see where I get. I never would have imagined I'd be 75 pounds lighter by this point. It's amazing, isn't it?

rockinrobin
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I am someone who struggles to get my daily dose of veggies in, but I do it.

Oooh, not me. I love veggies. Have you tried roasting them? They are a whole other breed that way. Broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, string beans, brussel sprouts. DELISH!!!! And what about salads; loaded with goodies such as pomegrante seeds, hearts of palm, grape tomatoes, colored peppers. There's also salads made with shredded cabbage - my fav - red cabbage, shredded carrots and mandarin oranges. I also love snacking on raw string beans. You can cut up veggies and dip them in salsa. Then there's the countless things you can do with green squash. Winter squash is also fabulous. Then there is home made thick, hearty, tasty veggie soups. Stir fries. Oh there's lots of ways to get in those incredibly filling, low calorie veggies.

Experiment, experiment, experiment.

For that boredom thing at work - do you drink hot tea? Or how about 25 calorie hot chocolate? It always put the brakes on any munchies (as opposed to true hunger) I may be having.

Happy almost anniversary. What a year it's been for you!!

OrganizedChaos
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM

My thoughts exactly but you said this so much better than I ever could have. I have those fleeting thoughts of liquid diets and cutting calories to the bare minimum but I know those aren't the answer so I eventually come back to reality. I have thought to myself so many times over the past few months that if it is only a few pounds a month from here on out it will take me a few years to get this all off, but I can live with that.

I currently have 2 packs of Pillsbury Halloween cookie dough in my fridge. There is a birthday cake in the break room and on my desk in front of me today is a candy dish with Peppermint Patties, Kit Kat's, Mounds, and a Laffy Taffy. These are not my problem right now. I have also mentally excluded these from my diet so I don't even let them bother me. However, I CAN NOT keep almonds or raw cashews in my desk any longer. I tend to over indulge on "on plan" foods. I don't know how to stop at a handful if I have the whole can in front of me.

OrganizedChaos
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
I hadn't realized we started at the same time. My one year will be November 9th. I'm hoping to make that 80 pound mark by then. I had never before understood the concept that the year is going to pass whether I lose weight or not, so why not just see where I get. I never would have imagined I'd be 75 pounds lighter by this point. It's amazing, isn't it?

I KNOW! I have told a few people that have asked about my success that it amazes me that I never realized before this, that regardless of what I put in my mouth, Thanksgiving and Christmas will come around again. I used to only view time in the past, not realizing what potential the future has.

Onederchic
10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree, it is hard. I wish you the best of luck :hug:

ubergirl
10-15-2010, 07:26 PM
This doesn't work for me, and I'm really not sure why. The more I exercise, the more I stall. And that's fine! Stalling usually means I'm losing inches or toning something somewhere. But I don't generally notice any weight loss with an increase in exercise. I wish it was that easy because I am a gym nut. ;)

Eliana-- I feel like we are diet sisters, because I'm like that too and I feel and look so much better when I exercise, but either way, I struggle to drop actual pounds...

But you know, I was watching my daughter, who is almost 16, on the soccer field today, and I know I'm built like her. There is no way on god's green earth that you would call her fat-- she is an incredible athlete, but she is built on the Venus and Serena Williams model-- she's medium to tall, but she's just bigger than most of the other girls. She weighs 175 lbs, which means that she's overweight by BMI, but she's just built like a mack truck. Other girls might be chubby at that weight, but she isn't.

I'm a lot older than she is, and not as fit, but as a young woman I was built like a mack truck too. I'm very strong, I build muscle easily. I'm not a frail little thing.

I pretty much developed a super bad binge eating disorder because as a young woman I had zero self-esteem about my body. I didn't understand that some women just have that type of build. I rowed crew in college--a sport in which being big, tall and strong is an asset, but I hated my body type and I kept trying to get skinnier and my body just didn't want to weigh less than about 160 lbs.

So, I'm trying to be reasonable here. I'd rather be super fit and weigh what I weigh than make myself NUTS getting frustrated that I'll probably never be willowy thin.

PaulaM
10-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Wow, that is interesting. After I posted I saw how much smaller you are than I am, maybe that makes the difference. I have to say since I have been back at the gym I've lost 29 lbs without changing much at all in my diet, that is what I am basing my success on. I'm sure as I get to a smaller size I'll have to monitor calories more. I really hate that starving feeling though, and I am not one for constant snacking. I never ate that way all the years I was thin and don't think it's good for me. I like my calories in my meals or I still feel hungry afterwards.

Eliana
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, that is interesting. After I posted I saw how much smaller you are than I am, maybe that makes the difference. I have to say since I have been back at the gym I've lost 29 lbs without changing much at all in my diet, that is what I am basing my success on. I'm sure as I get to a smaller size I'll have to monitor calories more. I really hate that starving feeling though, and I am not one for constant snacking. I never ate that way all the years I was thin and don't think it's good for me. I like my calories in my meals or I still feel hungry afterwards.

Hey, I'm all for whatever works for YOU! If it's working and you love it, keep going! LOL! Exercise did not work for me when I was 235 pounds either. I exercise because I love it, because I consistently reach goals and therefore feel good about myself, and because of my biceps. :D I'm not vain. :D

Uber, you make me laugh. ;) Great post. I am definitely built like a mack truck from the hips down. I'm not a pair shape, but I am solid. I had similar issues at a young age that you did. I was borderline anorexic but I can't say I actually was anorexic because it was absolutely intentional. I knew exactly what I was doing, it was hard to do and I could stop any time I wanted. Even when I was a size 3 in college, but truly thought I was an 8 and only bought size 8's :rolleyes:, my thighs still touched. My goal at that age was to be able to cross my legs having one leg tuck beneath the other. I can visualize it but it's hard to describe. That's how all the tiny girls around me crossed their legs and I felt like I was fat because I couldn't. AND even as a size 3, I could not wear high boots because my calves were too big even though I have an incredibly narrow foot. (AAAA) So I have always based my entire impression of my body, and therefore self-esteem, on my lower body.

No more! I have muscle! And darnit, finally I am proud of that! Though I do still have moments of wanting to be willowy. :^:

Lori Bell
10-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a suggestion on what to do with the Boy Scout popcorn. I understand feeling like you need to buy it so your boys will get their little badge thingy and "prise". We have fallen into the same trap. A cash donation is greatly appreciated by the Boy Scouts, but it's not the same for the boys. We would buy several different types of popcorn from our sons and that is what they gave as Christmas presents to Grandma and Grandpa, aunts and uncles. For teachers (school and Sunday school) and bus drivers etc., we would buy a few boxes of the microwave variety and wrap a few pouches up real pretty with a nice card. Grandpa, (who is thin and fit) always got a tin of the choclate. Just because you buy it, doesn't mean YOU have to eat it! ;)

Also, I never had to lower my calories, I started out at 1200 so in the end I was one of the lucky ones who got to add some back. When people talk about how they feel dizzy and weak and so forth eating that few calories I think it is probably for one of 2 reasons. First, they are no longer self medicating their anxiety and can now actually "feel" it, and need to address it, or second, they are eating a 250 calorie candy bar and 2 or 3 - 100 calorie packs of CRAP for the majority of their calories, and so they really are starving.

Eliana
10-16-2010, 09:22 AM
I have a suggestion on what to do with the Boy Scout popcorn. I understand feeling like you need to buy it so your boys will get their little badge thingy and "prise". We have fallen into the same trap. A cash donation is greatly appreciated by the Boy Scouts, but it's not the same for the boys. We would buy several different types of popcorn from our sons and that is what they gave as Christmas presents to Grandma and Grandpa, aunts and uncles. For teachers (school and Sunday school) and bus drivers etc., we would buy a few boxes of the microwave variety and wrap a few pouches up real pretty with a nice card. Grandpa, (who is thin and fit) always got a tin of the choclate. Just because you buy it, doesn't mean YOU have to eat it! ;)

Also, I never had to lower my calories, I started out at 1200 so in the end I was one of the lucky ones who got to add some back. When people talk about how they feel dizzy and weak and so forth eating that few calories I think it is probably for one of 2 reasons. First, they are no longer self medicating their anxiety and can now actually "feel" it, and need to address it, or second, they are eating a 250 calorie candy bar and 2 or 3 - 100 calorie packs of CRAP for the majority of their calories, and so they really are starving.

Lori, best idea EVER. I greatly appreciate it and am surprised I never thought of that myself! It's what I do when I go to home parties, like Tastefully Simple just to support the host. :rolleyes:

PaulaM
10-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Flex for me Eliana? LOL Good for you, I'm proud of my biceps too! and even more proud of my first ever triceps! whoo hoo!

rockinrobin
10-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm sure as I get to a smaller size I'll have to monitor calories more. I really hate that starving feeling though, and I am not one for constant snacking. I never ate that way all the years I was thin and don't think it's good for me. I like my calories in my meals or I still feel hungry afterwards.

Monitoring your calories, adhering to a calorie budget does not mean starving. Please, please, PLEASE don't think that to be the case.

You might want to start working on it right now, because like you said, eventually you WILL have to do it. Why push it off. The sooner you start doing it, the sooner you will adjust to it. You won't have to have this big thing looming over your head. Start devising a plan for yourself, customized just for you. Find healthy, satiating foods that you love. Experiment. Find which foods work for you - and which ones don't. Kick it up a notch. Really, it's nothing to fear. You're doing so great, push yourself a little harder and amaze yourself with all that you can accomplish! Why wait??? Get into it. The sooner the better. :)