South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Does staying on Phase 1...

really make that much difference? I know they say Phase 1 is just to help with cravings etc. I mostly eat that way because I feel better eating very low carbs thanks to PCOS. But I am finding I have 2 problems. One is constipation (sorry!). Beans, fiber, water, none of it has been helping. I am wondering if its because I am not eating any complex carbs such as bread etc. And two is, I haven't lost anything for about a month now. I have not been on Phase 1 that whole month. I will admit there were some off times in there, but not to even lose 1 pound in a month when I am still exercising like crazy makes me question what's going on.
So why does it make such a difference? I would appreciate any answers/suggestions/anything really!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #2  

Do you know how many calories you are consuming? You may just not be eating enough.

I don't like the idea of staying on phase 1 because I enjoy fruits and starches. If I can eat fruits and starches, and still lose weight, I am happy. I also look at SB as my way of eating for life, and the idea of just going through life without bread, rice, or pasta, is not a pleasant thought to me. I truly enjoy ww pasta, brown rice, and breads made with 100% whole grains. I do not feel deprived with them in my diet, and a big thing about diet for me is to not feel like I'm on one.

Starches don't have to be from bread, rice, and pasta. If those foods make you feel icky, don't eat them. How about adding in sweet potatoes or winter squash? Starchy veggies like those count as P2 foods. Your body is going to need to readjust to starchy foods, otherwise when you do go off-plan and have something, the consequences can be pretty rough. Really bad carb crash, indigestion issues, etc.

If I were you, I'd start slow. Add a fruit for a few weeks. Work in a starchy veggie and see how you do, etc. If it doesn't work for you, step back and re-evaluate.

Look at the list of P2 foods to add, and go from there! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ay-2008-a.html
SusanMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #3  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am consuming probably barely enough most days. Around 1200. I know I need to up my calories but since I can't go to the bathroom often, I never feel really hungry. I know I need to especially since I work out quite a bit during the week. I will just have to keep plugging along!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #4  
Be happy.

I feel much better on a strict phase 2 (or 1.5 as some here call it) than I do on phase 1. I have more energy for exercising and my 'plumbing' works a lot more efficiently when I have my steel cut oats for breakfast and a serving of fruit each day.

The few times I've gone back to phase 1 it's been to get my head back in the game. I didn't find I lost any faster on ph 1 than I do on a strict ph 2 now that I've been eating well for so long.

And on another note, do you/have you ever used chia seeds? Since I've been adding them to my yogurt every morning I've been able to put away my SF chewable fiber tablets......

Last edited by Heidi58; 10-13-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #5  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

We have stayed pretty much on Phase I for the last few weeks because I need that kind of kick in the butt jump start after something happens to be off plan. For instance,this last Sunday we went to a Wedding. Now all in all I was not TOO bad and not as bad as I could have been, but bad enough to go up a bit and feel all bloated. So, with kids birthdays coming up this week and next, we have stayed on the P1 plan for another two weeks or so. Then its on to P2 (or 1.5) as the case may be.

I was kicking around the idea of doing a P1-2 combo deal, like P1 for 2 weeks and then P2 until 30 lbs were gone and then back on P1. Kind of mix it up a bit. Not sure though. Thoughts?
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote