100 lb. Club - When did People start Noticing?

View Full Version : When did People start Noticing?

Jojo381972
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
My clothes are feeling looser and I'm starting to notice in my face and stomach. I asked my best friend today who I see at least once a week if she noticed if I lost weight, and she said that she sort of noticed in my stomach.

When did people start really noticing that you lost weight? How much did you lose when people started noticing? How did people react to your loss? Thanks for sharing in advance. :)

Vladadog
10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Kinda depressing but I had to lose about 70 pounds before people (friends/coworkers) started commenting. I think I had been so fat so long people really didn't *see* me. Now however I get lots of complements.

toobig
10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I had to lose over forty pounds. I think mostly people don't notice until you have to really overhaul your wardrobe.

mommy1028
10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I've lost 21 pounds still no comments about my weight loss. Hopefully soon! I've even went down a pant size and still nothing. But I wish you lots of luck on your weight loss and congrats on your success so far.

DhaniCauldwell
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
When I originally lost 70 pounds a lot of people noticed because I started losing weight in March and kept going throughout the summer when school wasn't in session. When school was back in session during my junior year everyone was like :yikes: because they weren't expecting it. With my 20 pound loss so far no one has said much because I think people are afraid of bringing it up, but I've noticed I've been getting some extra looks from the gents lately, lol :D.

:queen: Dhani :queen:

JackieHollow
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I've lost 35 lbs, and so far other than my dh, and my mom.. no one has noticed. Honestly I don't know how much they REALLY notice and how much they are just trying to encourage me. ;)

Rosinante
10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
38-40lbs - i.e., really just this past week or 2!

PinkHoodie
10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
For me its been recently. So about 40 pounds (I weighed 244 in April). I think it really just depends though.

eclipse
10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
My mom noticed after about 20 or 30 lbs. No one else commented until I was about 70 lbs down, thought I'm not sure when they really noticed. I was out of commission for a few months with a back injury and missed most of my kids' activities - it was when I started coming back that people started commenting. It's just as well for me, because I get very uncomfortable when people want to talk about my weight loss.

dudesmom
10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm at 37 lbs and the only people who really mention anything are my mom, sister, and husband. Other people may notice but don't say anything, or they may not notice at all. In my head, I know there's a difference because I have pictures to prove it and my clothes fit different, but I would still love that added affirmation of people exclaiming "Holy crap, you've lost so much weight!!!" when I walk into a room.

Kismet89
10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Earlier this year I was about 50 lbs down (I know...I know...), and my ILs (inlaws) noticed. My DH and my mommy notice with smaller changes, but they love me best ;) and know what I need to hear.

Jojo381972
10-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Aren't families the best! hehe! It is great to have their support. :)

It seems to be quite variable from person to person, but 40 pounds seems to be a popular number from a few people on here. I think that what other people say is secondary, from what I feel about my weight loss. Although, it is always nice for others to notice. Congrats to those that have lost on this thread! Awesome job! :)

Did anyone ever lose friends or find that people treated you differently (good or bad), once you lost weight?

Oboegal
10-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I think people started noticing after I had lost about 50 pounds.

I haven't really noticed anyone treating me differently. I'm 48 and not particularly pretty, so I'm not experiencing the "suddenly a babe" effect that some posters have mentioned. I get along well with my colleagues at work, and they've been very supportive.

I'm kind of a loner, so my relationships haven't really changed. I had the world's most amicable divorce about 8 years ago, but it was still difficult, and most of my friends abandoned me. It's still hard for me to understand how and why that happened. Anyway, after thinking I had a support system, and finding out that I didn't, I've been very reluctant to get close to people. Better not to lean on anything/anyone than lean on something that isn't there.

Long story short: a fairly significant weight loss has made little or no difference in my social landscape, but I'm probably very unusual in that respect.

lovemyboy
10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I can't remember. I'm guessing around 40 pounds. It seems people comment more when I get a haircut or wear clothes that are more form fitting.

fattymcfatty
10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
My Mom and DH noticed at about 20lbs, and my sister-in-law could tell and made a comment at about 25-30lbs or so. I have a buddy I see every Thursday and I keep waiting for her to notice but she doesn't say anything...

I do think that many might notice, but don't say anything, for fear of being rude. Weight tends to be a sensitive issue for lots of folks.

WildThings
10-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I had lost about 40lbs last time before anyone noticed and said anything. Unfortunately, I'm sure that means they all noticed when I gained it all back :^: ...plus a few:(

TooManyDimples
10-12-2010, 08:00 PM
In the past when I've lost weight people usually start noticing when I get down somewhere between 10 to 15 lbs. My husband can always tell. By the time my family sees me again around the holidays I hope to be down 20 to 30 lbs so hopefully everyone will be able to tell. :)

AZ Sunrises
10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
:) My former "work mom" noticed at about 15-ish lbs. I've lost almost 30 while working for the current employer--my boss and I are both counting calories, and we never discuss it. It's one of those hush-hush girl things...but when one of us can get into our skinny pants, we have to share with one another.

Rochester
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
My body has really changed quite a bit with only a 25# loss. I've lost 3 pants sizes (from 20 to 14), my waist has gone from 46 to 36, my hips have gone from 52 to 44, and my face looks less poofy. I'm getting smaller, not lighter ;) but people are noticing the change. I don't get heaps of comments but enough to motivate me to keep going. :D

krampus
10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I lost 10-15 or so and people noticed, but I started at 155. I shouldn't care whether people notice but I find myself wearing the same clothes every day because they're the only ones that are fitted enough to "show off" said loss.

graciegoose13
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
I found that initially people started to notice when I lost 35-40 lbs, or basically when i got to the lower 200s. I stalled at 174 for a while and then bounced back up to 184-187. Starting over the summer I started losing again. I'm at 162 right now, and for some reason that's been the magic number. I've had friends comment as well as a guy friends say, "you look nice today," even though I was pretty much just wearing what I normally do!

AngelicLyna
10-12-2010, 11:19 PM
It was at 45lbs for me when people started to noticed, my brother's bestfriend still doesn't see it LOL.

Nikki6kidsmom
10-13-2010, 12:56 AM
About 50 pounds. And the people who you don't see often will comment first. I will tell you this I am not really the type that likes the compliments and constant questions on what I am doing because I was afraid I will get on my soap box about health,fitness and weight loss.

But rumors started flying around my small town and my kids school that I had some sort of weightloss surgery (gastric bypass or lapband) or that I was losing weight because I was getting a divorce. So I decided to squash some rumors and set the record straight for anyone who asked. I also became more public with my running. I run my neighborhood and the football stadium 4-5 times a week.

Just stay focused , it's not always easy how people you thought would love and support you can change. For me some friendship have become distant because of my lifestyle change. It was painful and hard to swallow at first but I am working through it. Even my Mother has made some hurtful comments that I believe were said out of jealousy.

StarGetsFit
10-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Well, I've lost a little over 20lbs and so far no one has noticed or said anything, including my husband. I hope he notices soon. :(

goal4agirl
10-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Hi, it was 40 lbs. lost before people started noticing and commenting. I have several family members who are over weight...they did not comment at all. I think maybe they look at me and it makes them feel like they should be doing the same thing. It actually feels awkward to me for them to pretend nothing about me has changed. I'm not trying to hurt them I am just trying to get my weight under control.
My clothes are literally falling off of me. I have had to buy some inbetween clothes. My shirts hang down to my knees. I have lost the roundness of my shoulders and my shirts hang down and fall off my shoulders. My weight loss is almost at 50 lbs. now. I still have a ways to go but I feel healthy and strong. Even the hunger that was hard to take in the beginning has almost all gone away now. I had a family member to ask me,"you have so much will power how do you do that"? I told her I want this real bad. If you really want something bad you will work hard for it.;)

renstwin
10-13-2010, 08:27 AM
For me, it was just recently. About 50 pounds. I think this depends on where you start at. The more you weigh, the more you have to lose for it to become noticeable.

For a lot of people, they may notice, but say nothing.

time2lose
10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I agree that it depends on where you start. For me, people started saying something when I had lost about 50 pounds. I think new clothing was a factor in that. For the first 50 pounds, I kept wearing my old clothes, they just got baggy. After losing 50 pounds, I had to buy new clothes. I think the new clothes let people see the difference.

Amy9
10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I am at 22 lbs and no one has said anything. That brings me down two sizes too. I was tight 20 now into a tight 16. I dont let it get me down though. I celebrate myself. My belly is smaller than my boobs!! GOOOO AMY!!! :)

carol2208
10-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I also agree that it depends on your starting weight, unfortunately. At the beginning it took about 40lbs for people to start noticing. Now, if I loose 10-15lbs people already notice.

I remember that after my first week of eating healthy I went home, and the first comment my dad made when he saw me was "But I donīt see any difference, are you sure youīre on a diet?" ... I told him that if he didnīt have anything supportive to tell me, that he should keep the comments to himself. About two months later, we met at a mall, and he didnīt recognize me, I was right in front of him and had to say ... "heelllooo, Iīm here!!" It was awesome!!

Eliana
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
People started noticing around 35/40 pounds. But really what it took was leaving work for the summer and then coming back. Over that time I lost a whopping 10 pounds and seriously EVERYONE thought I'd lost the entire 65-70 pounds over the summer.

piper10
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I've lost almost 50 pounds since Jan. 1 of this year, and so far no one has commented. (fyi -- I'm still wearing my baggy clothes, and dh is behind me all the way!) It doesn't matter to me at all, though, because I've finally hit the point where I'm looking ahead and not behind. :)

WinterJinx
10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I had to loose somewhere around 70 to 80 pound before people started noticing but that was also around the time I bought clothes that fit me. Really only my best friend was congratulating me every time I lost another ten pounds and I think she only did that because I told her I lost the weight.

Most people that saw me on a regular basis had a harder time noticing.

:badbat: :haphal: :badbat:

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-pinknots/cartoonorange01/lb/0/16/3/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

jls0867
10-14-2010, 01:44 AM
My Mom noticed right away. So did my boss - a great and inspiring guy. However, really getting lots of notices now that I've lost 50lbs. Keep up the great work. Just think how many heads we'll be turning NOW.

Vivian27
10-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I didn't tell anyone that I had begun a weight loss plan except my DH. It was when I dropped about 30lbs that people starting noticing!! Keep it up!!

knitsforfive
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I think it also depends on how many times you have been on this particular train. The last time, when I lost 90 lbs., people REALLY started to comment when I was down about 40. Then, I didn't go a day without comments. But, alas, I gained back 60. Now, after losing 30 of those, at a weight where people were REALLY oohing and aaahing over me last time, people aren't saying much. I suspect they are respecting my privacy and sense that it was very difficult to re-gain so much of the weight in the first place.

They are right on both accounts -- I DO ned privacy and it was difficult. I think I sort of got into this mindset that I wanted/craved all that attention going down and that wasn't healthy for me. This time, I am doing it ALL for me -- not at all for the ooohs and aaahs and it feels more authentic -- if that makes sense. Yesterday, when I put on a smaller sized jeans, I felt great about it. Nobody said a word, but I FELT great -- and that's what matters to me this time around.

synger
10-14-2010, 01:00 PM
For me it depends on what I'm wearing that day. If I wear my normal now-even-baggier clothes, people don't notice. If I wear more fitted stuff, they are more likely to. One guy at work noticed fairly early (about 40 pounds). No one else there has said much. A couple ladies at church noticed around 50 or so, and they've become my cheerleaders.

Other than that, not a lot of comment yet.

synger
10-14-2010, 01:03 PM
On a related note, my husband got a shock the other day. He knows I've been losing, but it really hit home. It was a work-at-home day for me, so I picked a black t-shirt off the bedroom floor, thinking it was my "Seven Godly Virtues" tshirt I'd worn the day before (he has a matching "seven deadly sins" shirt). When he came home from school I opened the door and he blinked. "You're wearing my shirt!" I looked down, and lo and behold I was indeed wearing his shirt (which is a size smaller than his). And I hadn't even noticed!

I'm thinking he wasn't very happy about it. Not because I'm getting smaller, but because he's slowly getting larger year by year, and he's unhappy about it. My weight loss is highlighting his weight more. Poor guy. /sigh Ah, well. He's getting a healthier, more energetic wife, so I think he'll manage!

staybeautiful
10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey there, i lost about 20 pounds and EVERYONE noticed, all my neighbours and friends were asking if i lost weight, they kept on saying sumthing is different about me, even thru pictures, ppl back home kept saying i looked like i lost alot. so for me it was the first 20lbs.

LiannaKole
10-14-2010, 03:01 PM
For me, people started noticing when I lost a little over 14% (about 30 lbs) of my high body weight. Before then I was the only one who knew I'd lost weight. Then one day EVERYONE noticed. Like, they hadn't been waiting to say something - they were surprised about it. My mom noticed at about 10% loss (around 20 lbs), but that was it.

Looking back in pictures, when I felt like I'd really changed physically, I didn't look all that different. I still don't feel like I look different, but feedback from others, tape measuring, and the scale say otherwise.

Hmm...I have one friend who won't be happy AT ALL if I reach my goal, but that's fine. Other than that, I get a little more attention from guys now. I'm outgoing, but not flirty, same as I was even at my high weight, but there is a difference in how they look at me and interact with me, especially when unsolicited (and there's a difference in the frequency of such things).

Jojo381972
10-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Good to know Lianna, that you are getting more attention from the guys! :)

Thanks everyone for sharing. It sounds like it may take awhile to get noticed for losing, and I still have some way to go.

Congrats again to all that have lost weight on this thread. It isn't an easy feat!! :)

totsandfries
10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
I just recently started getting complements about the weight I have lost, I lost majority of the weight during the previous school year and over the summer I lost maybe 10 pounds, and now everybody is noticing. I guess it depends on what weight you start at and how often you are around the people.
My friends have stayed the same throughout the journey.... thank goodness.

fivestone
10-16-2010, 05:47 AM
For me, it was about 20-25 pounds. I mean, my husband noticed after about 5-10 pounds, but then again, he sees me a little more closely than other people! ;) My closer friends noticed something was different after about 12 or 15 pounds or so, but finally noticed it as weight loss after about 20-25 pounds. Once I hit 35 pounds down, people en masse started to comment. So for me, it was that the closer people were to me, the sooner they noticed.

ValRock
10-16-2010, 05:51 AM
It took a while for me. Lately everyone is stopping me and making comments which is nice but at the same time kind of embarrasing! I think I was under 200 lbs before anyone said a word! It was really discouraging at first. The change is a lot more noticeable per lb. the closer you get to goal! Good luck to you!

rockinrobin
10-16-2010, 08:18 AM
If no one is mentioning it, I say joy the anonymity - while it lasts.

It was all so new to me. People began complimenting me left and right, asking if *I'd* lost weight... ME? ME? and then asking me for weight loss tips... ME? Though it was kinda cool, it's nice for you hard work to be noticed, I wouldn't have minded this wonderful little venture of mine to remain my personal thing a bit longer. Again, don't get me wrong the compliments are nice - but try to enjoy and get as much as you can from each step of the journey.

And it took about 50 lbs for people to start saying something. The first mention - "you look so good:. Not "did you lose weight?" - they couldn't quite figure that out yet, but was aware that I was looking better.

KEep working, keep on improving yourself, keep on striving to be the best you possible. The rewards that will come your way will absolutely blow your mind. KEep at it. Keep at it. KEEP AT IT!! The harder you "work", the faster it will come...

mkat321
10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
The last time, nobody said anything to my face, but I happened to overhear a conversation between my MIL and her mother when the weight started coming back on. The main point of the convo was that they didn't understand why I lost so much weight when DH was deployed and then put it right back on when he came home. I seriously had to bite through my tongue to keep from saying something.

This time, I'm down almost 15 pounds so far and the only comments I get are 'didn't it come off alot faster last time?' type comments. Well, yeah, it did. But I was also in the gym 4-5 hours a day and a walking ad for SlimFast. My nutrient levels were so bad my doc was about to blow a bigger gasket about my diet than my weight. I'm not capable of nor willing to do that again.