Atkins - Those Atkins cheese crackers =)

View Full Version : Those Atkins cheese crackers =)

islandchick1
10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU Jersey Gyrl and Sandyfanny for posting this recipe. They are wonderful! I miss having a crunchy thing. These are perfect!

Jersey Gyrl thanks so much for all the wonderful information you share with all of us :)

Sandyfanny thanks for the GREAT recipes :)

Ya'll R~O~C~K!! :dancer: :dancer:

Judy

Gelene
10-12-2010, 03:44 PM
islandchick, sorry, but I can't find the recipe to these. Would you mind sharing or posting the link where I can find it. Thanks.

islandchick1
10-12-2010, 04:41 PM
islandchick, sorry, but I can't find the recipe to these. Would you mind sharing or posting the link where I can find it. Thanks.

My pleasure Gelene :)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html

I love the pics of them. It gives you an idea of what they are suppose to look like. Hope you enjoy :chef:

Judy

Shells
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Anyone have success with these in the oven?? I don't have a microwave but would like to figure out some way to try these crackers

sandyfanny
10-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Challenge Buddies! Haven't tried the cheese crackers in the oven, but I've seen a recipe that you do on top of the stove in a non-stick pan (I'd use some Pam anyway). I'll look for it later.

I think they'd work in the oven - maybe line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, put your cheese down and pop it in the oven 375 - 400 degrees and watch them. Understand, I'm making this up...never done them in the oven.

SunnyDC
10-12-2010, 06:10 PM
My pleasure Gelene :)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html

I love the pics of them. It gives you an idea of what they are suppose to look like. Hope you enjoy :chef:

Judy

yea i love seeing the pix to go with it. gotta try these soon. that linda, (the site founder), has the best recipes ever!

islandchick1
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I just wanted to share this :lol:
All of my co workers are essentially my guinea pigs on the majority of the recipes I am trying out here :D
I am a pretty exceptional cook (toot toot - :lol:) so they are ALWAYS interested in what I bring to eat, be it breakfast, lunch, snacks, ect.
They know my WOE is Atkins so I LOVE breaking their misconceptions that Atkins is just meat and few choices :lol:
BTW, I made these cheese crackers at work today to go with my salad at lunch time. I sprinkled mine with black pepper and onion powder. The first batch went SO fast, I had to make ANOTHER so that I could have a few :lol:

sandyfanny
10-12-2010, 07:35 PM
The Linda's Low Carb recipe for Cheese Crisps is delicious! (You grate the cheese first, put it in circles and then microwave it on parchment). They are addictive.

readyfreddy
10-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Ok help! I've tried to make these twice now. No luck. What am I doing wrong.

1st time I used sharp cheddar slices on a plate. These just melted and then fried (they did not puff, they got super thin and hard with little bubble holes in them - no browning)

2nd I used wax paper (is this parchment paper?) and same thing, used sharp cheddar in small squares for the 65 seconds. they fried. super thin, super crispy, and completely unable to separate it from the paper.

so help! i really want to make these!

thanks

sandyfanny
10-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Readyfreddy, first: You need Deluxe American Cheese Slices - whatever the brand it should say "Deluxe American Cheese Slices." Any cheese won't work. And parchment paper is NOT wax paper. Parchment paper may be with the various wraps (wax paper, aluminum foil, saran) or it may be in the baking section. The label, whatever the brand will read: "Parchment Paper."

You pretty much made Cheese Crisps, also on Linda's Low Carb site, which I love, but if you want the Cheez-its, you gotta do it her way.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

islandchick1
10-16-2010, 09:56 PM
The parchment paper will keep them from sticking. I also use it at Christmas when baking cookies. It's almost impossible to burn or scorch the bottoms using it :)

readyfreddy
10-17-2010, 03:09 AM
ah ok! thanks!!

StephanieM
10-17-2010, 09:44 AM
One recipe she had also stated that the bags of pre grated cheese worked best. I'm not sure if this is the same one because there are a couple similar ones!

SunnyDC
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
i made some yesterday. just like a cheez-it!

islandchick1
10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I have used different seasonings on mine. I like black pepper, onion powder & chili powder real well. I also made some sprinkled with the basic Mrs.' Dash.
If you figure like this : 1 piece of cheese will make 16 smaller pieces. So 1 serving is 16 pieces = 60 calories and 1 carb :D I LOVE IT!

fatklr
10-19-2010, 08:58 AM
I also made the mistake of using wax paper instead of parchment, and it stuck horribly! I used cracker barrel pre-cut cheese because all of the Deluxe American Cheese that I saw was either cheese product or cheese food. I will try using shredded cheddar on parchment paper this evening :)

fatklr
10-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Oh, and dipping the cheese crackers in some sour cream is DELICIOUS!!!

StephanieM
10-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I wanna dip them in salsa! I guess I'll have to look for parchment paper while shopping too. I'm really wanting to try this because I think it will help with my urge to snack. (or maybe they will be so good I can't stop :o )

SunnyDC
10-20-2010, 08:41 PM

yummmmmm trying that tonight!

SissieSue
10-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Yum, yum, yummy! I had these for the first time a couple of days ago, and boy oh boy are they tasty. I overcook mine a bit, and they taste like Cheese Nips!

ValRock
10-24-2010, 02:16 AM

Ohhhh I do this... soooo good! Sometimes I mix a tiny bit of salsa into the sour cream :D :devil:

LoveRyGuy
10-24-2010, 04:45 AM
i love the shredded cheese on parchment paper... i made a bunch with half a bag of cheese (only 4 oz of cheese!) and used them to scoop up tuna salad... i used mild cheddar so they were mild enough not to impart cheese flavor on the tuna but cheesy when eaten separately. i never knew low carb could be so varied!

JerseyGyrl
10-24-2010, 09:34 AM
If you are using the shredded cheese purchased in the bags to make these, be sure to read label's, a lot of those contain potato starch to keep the cheese from sticking together in the bag.

LoveRyGuy
10-24-2010, 10:02 AM
thanks for the tip! i checked and one bag has it and the others dont. :)

spixiet
10-24-2010, 11:33 AM
If you like the crispy action of the cheese crackers, you may also want to try grabbing a bag of Turkey Pepperoni slices-
-lay a serving spaced out on a paper towel
-microwave about 1min45sec - 2min
-let sit 2-5 min

Yummy, crunchy, chip-like goodness...I like to crumble them over salads sometimes-

If you can't find Turkey pepperoni, it will work with regular, but of course be higher in fat-

JerseyGyrl
10-24-2010, 11:47 AM
If you can't find Turkey pepperoni, it will work with regular, but of course be higher in fat-

High fat is the great thing about Atkins:carrot:

SunnyDC
10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
i'll be trying the pepperoni crisps!

SunnyDC
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9EAFvfvnnH0/TMS_oYCjkII/AAAAAAAAAlk/aQTOj4YtcLk/s512/IMG_20101024_191931.jpg

i wasn't sure which cheese to get, because it just said buy the "deluxe" cheese slices. kraft american singles do not work, i tried. so i bought this and this specific cheese works. also i had to cut off the corners off my parchement paper for it to fit into my microwave and still have room to rotate.

islandchick1
10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I made these turkey pepperoni things today. They are crispy enough. I think I will use the regular pepperoni the next time though. I'm not very fond of turkey (or chicken for that matter lol)

fatklr
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9EAFvfvnnH0/TMS_oYCjkII/AAAAAAAAAlk/aQTOj4YtcLk/s512/IMG_20101024_191931.jpg

i wasn't sure which cheese to get, because it just said buy the "deluxe" cheese slices. kraft american singles do not work, i tried. so i bought this and this specific cheese works. also i had to cut off the corners off my parchement paper for it to fit into my microwave and still have room to rotate.

I use the block cheddar cheese also. I tried the block monterey jack...didn't work well at all! Did you like dipping them in sour cream?

JerseyGyrl
10-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Did you like dipping them in sour cream?

I dip them in Lighthouse Ranch dressing:drool:

fatklr
10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I dip them in Lighthouse Ranch dressing:drool:

You know, I never thought of dipping them in ranch dressing! Yummy! I also thought about putting some hormel real bacon pieces and dipping them in sour cream for a "baked potato topping" kinda snack!

SunnyDC
10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I use the block cheddar cheese also. I tried the block monterey jack...didn't work well at all! Did you like dipping them in sour cream?

omg yes and i have been dipping them in the sour cream ever since. and i also read ur bacon bits idea, like a loaded baked potato, and can't wait to try that too!! someone else said stir in a little salsa with the sour cream, i will try that one too!

islandchick1
11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
So tonight I made some more cheese crackers. I flavored the cheese with a sprinkling of coarse ground pepper, parmesean cheese, some Slap Ya Mama (this might be a regional seasoning and not available in your area but is very similiar to Emeril's original Essence with a significant kick) and some of the powdered Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix and topped off with some real bacon bits. :drool: I like the way they turned out very well and they have a hotness to them :D. I have been dipping them in some homemade ranch dressing.

Linsy
11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I made some of these the other day using one slice of cheese. They didn't crunch very well, they puffed but only a few of them had that crunch with the cheese nip flavor. I think I needed to cook them longer. Either way they were delicious!

fatklr
11-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I made some of these the other day using one slice of cheese. They didn't crunch very well, they puffed but only a few of them had that crunch with the cheese nip flavor. I think I needed to cook them longer. Either way they were delicious!

The ones I made puffed up and didn't crunch either. When I used the real cheddar cheese they crunch and had more flavor. If I had to pick between the two, I'd go with the cheddar cheese chips only because it has a stronger kick to it.