Simply Filling/Core - Weekly chat, 11th-16th

View Full Version : Weekly chat, 11th-16th

jojo23
10-11-2010, 03:57 AM
New pages. Hope I've done it OK. Awwww nuts!!!! Got the dates wrong it should be 17th The simplest job, the simplest job and Jo can mess it up

My thoughts are with you and Jim. Vickie. I know how worrying and tiring a time like this can be.

Thanks Sandra. I need a good talking too about whinging! Today is a new week, slate is clean, nothing I can do about last week so just concentrate on an improvement this week

I know this sounds silly, but I am helping out a pal on Wednesday. She is a creative writing tutor and runs an evening class for beginners aside to her daily job at the college. She is on holiday for a few days (Health farm) and has asked me to take the class on Wednesday. Like a nitwit I said yes and now I’m shaking in my shoes. The theme is timing which is particularly important in writing comedy. I’ve got a headache already! I only hope I do it justice and she doesn’t have to undo all the bad things I have told them.

beach bum
10-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Have to make this short as my friend Alice and I are going over to the Vineyard for the last time this season,and will spend most of the day there. Tomorrow morning & up to Wed I will be pretty mush busy that I won't be on the boards much. tomorrow I have t mass for Leo and than go to the cemetery and than have my car fixed from the recall they sent me weeks ago. The steering column is off and they are going to put in a new one in its place. Then on Wed I have my walking tour and followed by my canasta card party.

JOJO-Thanks for starting us up this morning.JOJO relax you'll do fine at the class on Wed. maybe you can get some pointers from your friend before you take over here class, just a thought.

Have to go and I see you guys next Thursday

Tejas
10-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for starting us this week JoJo. I don't understand why the board doesn't allow changes in the title of the new threads, but it doesn't. Don't fret: we know what you meant.

Maryann, have fun.

Vickie, I'm so sorry to hear about Jim's health concern. I'd be very nervous too.

Nancy, I've had my oatmeal and I plan to eat it everyday for breakfast this week.

The doggie got me up at 5:20AM and I'm going to go back to bed for a while. After having been up at essentially the same time of the morning two of the last three mornings, I didn't appreciate her doing that today!

BBL,
Rhonda

Vickie
10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
So I was down at JC but still .4 heavier than my ticker. I'm not changing it because I intend to be back there next week.

Now Jim's bun/creatinine are elevated. Sigh. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. They mean a lot to me.

ontarget
10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
JoJo, please PM me the name of one of your writings. I want to buy a copy. Let us know how the class goes. I know you'll do great--and the students will enjoy hearing what you have to say.

As to messing up something? My nickname all my life has been "Little LuLu" because of all my antics. However, I think I have grown into "Lucy" aka "I Love Lucy" Lucy. I can mess up even the easiest things--without much effort. You and I should get together. Well, maybe not. We might be dangerous together. :lol:

Maryann, what all do you do at the vineyard? Are there shops?

Rhonda, I'll bet you and Doyle are glad to be home even though you had a fun trip. Curtis has a brother who lives in Albuquerque. We haven't been in a few years.

Vickie, congratulations on having your weight down at Jenny's. What does "Now Jim's bun/creatinine are elevated." mean? When will he find out what's going on? I know you are worried. I wish there was something I could say or do to make everything better.

I kept the grands today as schools were closed. We met PaPa (Curtis) for lunch then spent time at a local park. After that we watched a movie. Well, I watched some of it with my eyes closed.

Now I'm home getting ready for my OA meeting tonight. Ya'll have a good evening. I'll be back tomorrow.

nancy237
10-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Rhonda ...
I really like your idea about the meal breakdown.
The shake would be an easy thing to carry with me
also...

Maybe I can alternate oatmeal & eggs for breakfast.
Or oatmeal & an egg white.
Then the shake for lunch and
a heathy recipe , salad or lean cuisine for dinner.
Sounds like something I am going to try.

Does oatmeal stick with you ?? I will try it but I seem to need
protein in the am.

sloanie
10-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Hey chickies, I just got home from my Bible study. I'm not doing well with my eating. I don't know if I can do the Nancy/Rhonda plan, but I need to do something. I've got a weekend with friends planned, so I'll be eating whatever our hostess makes. I'm sure there will be "adult beverages", too.

Sandra, I used to show my dd "Little Lulu" videos. We loved them! Your day with your grands sounds fun.

Rhonda, sounds like you had a good time in NM.

Vickie, I'm praying for you and Jim. Keep us posted.

Maryann, I'm interested in hearing about the vineyard, too.

Nancy, let us know how the Nancy/Rhonda plan works. Are you still job hunting?

Jojo, I'm interested in reading some of your work, too. If you don't mind sharing, can you send me a private message? If I am prying, you can send me a private message and tell me to mind my own business ;)

GTG get ready for bed. TTFN

jojo23
10-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Well, we seem to be getting all four seasons in one day here. Last night was winter, this morning it is spring and no doubt, lunchtime will be fall.

We are still clearing out clutter prior to decorating.. prior to moving etc, etc. We have lived here for so many years and have been very happy but boy, have we collected some rubbish and it has to be said, found stuff we thought we'd lost years ago!

We are not rushing decorating, just taking it slowly and hope to have the house on the market in spring. I think it's important to sweat it out here before moving, because we'd only take all our emotional baggage with us. As it is we will still be sad, but ready for our lives to go down a new track.

I've finished making all the Christmas cakes and puddings we give as Christmas presents so that's a weight off my mind.

I have sold my bee hives to the farmer on whose ground I keep them. It is a symbiotic relationship: my bees pollinate his crops efficiently, and I get lovely honey. I’m decluttering my life as well as the house and don’t really want the responsibility of the hives any longer

ontarget
10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Nancy and Rhonda, I wish you the best of success with your eating plans. I don't think I could do it. I'm still "sugar-free", though, and that's something for me to have done. I'm on Day 126.

Sloan, Curtis and I are having an adult beverage tonight. (It's also known as a Fuzzy Navel)

JoJo, we downsized when we moved back to Texas from Montana. I was thinking of your honey. Has it helped you with allergy problems? We try to get local honey to aide with our allergy problems.

Today I was subbing in high school architectural design (computer classes). One class was a little too loud while their computers were booting. I told them to use "Inside Voices, please." They got quiet. I told them I had babysat with young granddaughters the day before and was embarassed about saying "Use inside voices." I was surprised no one laughed when I said it. I think it sort of tickled them, though. I will have them again the 22nd. Guess I'll be careful to use my "talking to young adults" voice.

Curtis and I had dinner out as soon as I got home from school. That's the best help for my staying OP. Life is good.

sloanie
10-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi chickadees! It finally rained here after several weeks with no rain. It was really nice and kinda made me sleepy all day. I'm home now and sitting on the couch. I'm counting the days until my "girls' weekend". Woohoo!

Sandra, don't feel bad about telling the students to use "inside voices". I sometimes tell mine to sit on their "bunny tails" when they are out of their seats without permission :D I'm so glad you are enjoying subbing. Also, the fuzzy navel sounds delish!

Jojo, it's really hard to leave a house that is so full of memories. I'm glad you are taking it slow.

Vickie, are you and Jim hangin' in there? I'm still prayin'.

Hey to the rest of ya!

ontarget
10-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Sloan, "Bunnie Tail"!! I love it!

Tejas
10-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi All:

Well, I had breakfast tacos because I went to a breakfast meeting where they were served. I had two (white corn tortilla, stuffed with scrambled eggs) and fruit salad. I had yogurt for a quick lunch and less that 1/2 of a bar-b-qued chicken with cole slaw for dinner. I later had some wine and some rice crackers. Should have avoided the crackers, but they were so good. I'm drinking water now because I want to munch some more. I guess I haven't had enough food today.

But, I'm hoping I'm off the plateau. My weight went all the way up to 186 at some point in August and it was 181 this morning.

Nancy, the oatmeal--1/2 cup large flake cooked in 1 cup of skim milk-- with berries, and sometimes walnuts, will last me almost 4 hours, but sometimes only 3.

'night :yawn:

ontarget
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Rhonda, I love those rice cakes, too. I'm now using them to munch on during tournaments instead of Peanut M&M's.

I'm making beef stir fry/brown rice for lunch. I'm hungry now, so I need to get off here and get started in the kitchen.

pam920
10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Hello all. I finally made it to FL on Sunday. Had a lot of things going on.

I had to go to ER for angina. While they were taking my blood pressure I got this horrific headache, which they ignored. My bp was 223/101. I don't normally have high bp, so not sure what was going on. My husband was not home and my daughter insisted I go to ER. Anyway, I called my cardio dr, concerned about my pressure being that high. Left a message with his office. They never called me back, so I called the next morning. I told them I had an appt for next May, and wanted to cancel because I would not be returning to their office again. The nurse got on the phone and asked me to come in so they could check my bp. Needless to say, it was still pretty high, so the dr saw me and added yet another prescription. I love my dr, but hate that he never will get on the phone. I have only called his office once in 3 yrs. Had just had an angiogram and no blockages, so was really concerned about the bp. Anyway, ER said I was having artery spasms again.

My husband is still in KY, with his parents. His mom is home from the hospital, and doing pretty good. He is coming here soon. I know he is torn, worrying about me and his mom. His sisters are not helping matters. I told him to just stay there. We can't afford him driving back and forth. It will be a 12 hr drive, now that we are going to be in Florida for the winter. Plus, he is not a young man and the drive is pretty hard. I know it was hard for me to make the drive here.

Didn't mean to write a book, lol.

I love steel cut oats for breakfast. I add chopped walnuts, sugarfree caramel syrup and cinnamon to mine. I make a batch and eat it through the week. A nice salad for lunch. Dinner is usually chicken, quinoa and black beans. I have grapes or apple for my evening snake. I have a glass of skim milk with lunch and dinner. I don't eat this every day, but it's typical.

I'm not sure what is going on with everyone, but hope all of you are doing okay. I'll try to check in more often. My sis is here in florida and we've started walking this week. I walk the mile to her house and we walk back to my house and I drive her home. Hopefully she will build up the stamina to walk further, but I don't want to push her.

Have a great day and I'll check back later.

ontarget
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Pam, I am so glad your doctor finally got you some help. Also glad you went to ER. That sounds like you were in a dangerous situation. So glad all worked out well for you. I know it's hard for you and your husband to be apart. Curtis and I are joined at the hip and have a difficult time when separated for very long. He actually has more separation issues than I do. I think it all stems from his being alone after he lost his other wife to ALS.

Your oatmeal sounds good. I had Cheerios this morning. They aren't CORE but are low in calories. We had beef stir-fry for lunch. I'm thinking a good salad for dinner.

Enjoy your walks with your sister. Curtis and I have begun taking walks around our new pastureland.

nancy237
10-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Pam ...I am so glad you got checked out and finally got the doctor to
do something about the BP. That is scary to have all that happen while your husband is out of town. Your eating routine sounds great ...
I never thought of making enough oatmeal to have another day..smart ..

Sloan...about the job hunting... We are close to being able to retire which is making me drag my feet about going to work.. In the last week
I have adopted a puppy for grandson, nursed it back to health ,
sold a car, made 2 trips to get son from college & return him (6 hour round trip) gotten grandson from school (another town)when stepdaughter needed to go to Dr and gone to her house to get puppy & care for them both til next day, and I am taking grandson to Fair on Friday.
I am going to hate not being able to do stuff like that..

Today I was wondering if we can do without me working full time , since we are downsizing our house in the spring. We hope to be able to sell it for enough to get a smaller house or townhouse and not have a mortgage.

Jojo..It sounds like we are both selling our homes in the spring. We are trying to do some updates like bathrooms , painting ect. Ours is an older home and
is the official Money Pit . Hard to cool & heat & no matter how much we do to it ..it still needs more.

We are thinking about maybe a townhouse for 3-4 years until we are ready to build & retire on the land in Va that we bought.

nancy237
10-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Since my husband is rather tired of hearing my new diet plans I'll bore you guys with it...Everyone' s input about what they do has helped...

Breakfast .. any combination that is 300 calories or less. I like the idea of
being able to do eggs, cereal, yogart & fruit, tortilla with cheese & egg , oatmeal , or even a low calorie fast food like Egg Mc Muffin.

Lunch ..Protein Shake 250 calories (easy to carry with me , good calcium )

Dinner.. 400 calorie meal .. healthy recipe , lean cuisine , subway , salad .

Snacks ... 100 calorie snack in afternoon & about 9 pm.
nuts, cheese, celery & peanut butter, yogurt, fruit.
.....I need snack ideas here....

What do you think ????

ontarget
10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Nancy, you're not boring us at all. I know what you mean about hubbies getting tired of hearing it, though. What about fruit for snacks? Today I had fresh grapes. Just an idea.

Your eating plan sounds good to me. And your retiring? Go for it! It sounds like you don't have time to work anyway. But then are you elligible for retirement benefits? Just wonering.

It's almost time for "Survivor". I'll be back tomorrow.

sloanie
10-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Evenin' chicks! I have had the usual today. Not much exciting going on. I'm just relaxing right now, but I have to get some laundry done so I'll have clothes to take with me for my girl's weekend. We will go to a little town for lunch, antiques, and walking around the square then we will go to my friend's sister's house for the evening where we will have a wine tasting party and will make some yard art projects called "totems". The next day we will attend an annual craft/artisan fair that takes up about four city blocks. It is awesome! That evening will be spent relaxing, we will stay the night then we will come home on Sunday. My sister will going with me, and we both really need this getaway!

Sorry I'm going on so, I'm just very excited. I hope you all are having a good evening. I'll check in tomorrow evening. TTFN

nancy237
10-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Sandra..I like the fruit idea..I need to up my fruit & veg intake anyway.

If I had a 60 calorie cheese stick I could also have 40-50 calories of fruit.
I am going to check online about what amount that means for different fruits.

ontarget
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Nancy, fruit and cheese sounds good.

Sloan, I love reading about your girls' weekend--and I'll be waiting here t hear all about it after you get back home.

I just had some sf hot chocolate. I made it with 2% milk instead of water. It was rich and tasty.

Not much else going on. We had company tonight right after Survivor. Archery friends. We had a good visit. It was short because it was a father/daughter and this is a school night.

Night night, everyone.

Tejas
10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Pam, I'm so sorry to hear your health news and I hope it improves for you.

Yes, those steel cut oats are great. I think I'll put some in some milk to soak overnight and have them tomorrow. Yummy.

Nancy, your plan sounds good to me. Snacking is always a challenge. If you need more protein there's always a boiled egg, or slice of turkey breast.

Not much happening here, for a welcome change. I did spend 90 minutes on the phone with social security and medicare trying to get enrolled. Believe me, it's all a LOT easier in Canada.

'night

nancy237
10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
There is a fun website I thought I would share..

It is called 43 Things.

It is just a fun organized way to set goals ,
track your progress, find others who have the same goals ,
and share how you accomplished your goal.

I would put the link but I don't know if that is allowed.
It should be easy to google

jojo23
10-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Gosh Pam, that experience was enough to make the BP go even higher. What a frustrating experience.

I first started bee keeping Sandra because our daughter had rotten hay fever every spring and the tables the doctor gave her, did very little good. I read in a magazine that if you take a teaspoon of local honey everyday (the bees have to have collected local pollen) it will gradually desensitise you to the pollen. Local honey here was an exorbitant price so I bought my own bees It has been a fascinating hobby and also cured the hay fever.

Know what you mean Nancy. Ours is a 3 storey Victorian one over 100 years old (yep it has a ghost too!)

The class went better than I expected. It was a mixed group 22 of them ranging in ages from teens to 60ís. For the first 20 minutes we had a chat about comedy writing; timing, credibility tempo etc. and then for the next hour and 40 mins I asked them to each write a short account (max 500 words) or simply bullet it, about something funny that had happened to them. If they wished they could read it out to the class and we could all suggest changes, if any. It was a lively session I can tell you, with loads of laughs. I had to set an assignment for next week so I asked them to take what they had written in class and write a short in a different genre to comedy.
Although I was nervous I thoroughly enjoyed it. Before I went, I couldnít help wondering if, when my old friend was scrapping the barrel to find someone to stand in for her, I might have been sitting firmly on the bottom of that barrel!

Mark picked me up afterwards and took me to a little country pub we like. I wish you could have been with me girls. Genuine country pubs are dying out. This one is black and white, low ceilings with huge oak beams a real fire in the inglenook, the flames reflecting off the horse brasses. No music and real ale. You would have loved it.

Here endeth the first lesson...:dizzy: Sorry this is so long

beach bum
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM

I'm back for a little while,went to MV for the last time this season on Monday and than to the Toyota dealer to get my new stirring column done and yesterday I went on my walking tour in the next town next to us.

Today I'm heading for Plymouth Ma with one of my friends. We're going to have a bad northeaster tonight into Sat morning. Looks like whatever in the ocean and the mass that's coming from the west is going to hit,guess we""" have to hold onto our hats"

I promise I'll be back tomorrow morning,until than have a wonderful day

ontarget
10-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I went for my pedicure today but found out I was there on the wrong day. I'll go back next Wednesday. Lucy lives!

Curtis and I are watching "The Thing" now on TV. Are we bored? It's a gorgeous day and I could be out planting pansies we got today at Lowe's, but I'm in a sit on the recliner frame of mind.

JoJo, I would love to hear more about your ghost. Your writing class sounds amazing. Those students will be talking about it for a long time. And the pub? Wish I'd been there with you.

Maryann, I am curious about MV. What all do you do there? It sounds like you really enjoy going.

Rhonda, I have Texas Teacher Retirement and don't qualify for SS. Do your years in Toronto count toward SS? Just wondering.

Nancy, thank you for the info on the website.

Got to go. The "monster" is attacking. :yikes:

Tejas
10-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I have no idea about whether the years in Toronto count, but am investigating. There is some agreement with Canada and it may work in my favor.

My eating has been totally weird. I had a good oatmeal breakfast, then turkey breast and cheese, then snacking. But, will stop it before I do damage!

ontarget
10-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Rhonda, I hope it works out in your favor.

My eating has been all right. I just need to remember "fruit only" the rest of the evening. (I'm really hungry for cheese and crackers.)

Have a good evening, everyone.

sloanie
10-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey chickies! Tomorrow is the day!! Girls' weekend starts, but first I have to attend a leaders' meeting for BSF. Since I can't attend the Saturday morning women's leaders' meeting, I will be attending the men's leaders' meeting at FIVE AM!!! I will have to get up at 3:30 and leave at 4:15 :( I just hope I can stay awake. I'll check in when I get home on Sunday. Have a great weekend, y'all.

pam920
10-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Sloan, your weekend sounds like a fun time. I love to shop the antique stores, crafts, etc. Can't wait to hear about it when you return.

jojo, I would have loved to sit in your class. From your description, sounds like you were a hit with the students.

Maryann, have fun and hold onto that hat.

Nancy, I have never had protein shakes. Not sure how long that would stay with me, before I was hungry again. I made a huge salad for lunch with leftover chicken breast. I added a hard boiled egg, slivered almonds, avocado, and lots of veggies. Keeps me full until dinner time. I usually have fruit at night. Grapes or an apple with pb. You are doing great.

Rhonda, hope you will be able to get your SS benefits from Canada. I start my SS next Sept.

Sandra, how are you liking Survivor? I'm still trying to keep the names straight.

Slowly trying to get the house dusted. Worked in the living room today. Was a little short of breath and took me forever. I moved the furniture and wet mopped the hardwood. Hope we walk tomorrow. My sis wasn't feeling great today so we took the day off.

Have a good evening

ontarget
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Sloan, have a great weekend. Tell us all about it when you get back here.

Pam, I like the real "countryish" woman that is older than most of them. I can't remember her name, but I'm thinking she's the one who made fire the first day there. I really do not like Marty. He's really full of himself. What about you? Do you have favorites?

jojo23
10-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Our ghost is a nice friendly one Sandra. An elderly gentleman, dressed in Victorian clothes. Looking back through the deeds of our house we think he is the original owner. Our friends across the road, have a WW1 soldier and some in the road, have Romans. The ground these houses were built on was once cherry orchards and not only that, close to ponds and one of our old roman roads. These orchards were a major stopping off point for the roman legions when they were marching. Bits and bobs of roman artefacts still pop up in the garden

I thoroughly enjoyed it Pam. They were so full of enthusiasm, I got more out of it them then to tell the truth

Strictly Come Dancing ( your Dancing with the Stars) started here 2 weeks ago and is always a must see for me, even though I can't dance. One of the celebs has gone down with chicken pox, so we are all wondering if she managed to spread it amongst the cast.

A mellow day here, just a hint of mist clinging to the hedges.

Tejas
10-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Good morning all:

Well, there are no ghosts here. But, in Toronto, at one point I shared a house with others and we kept noticing that the cabinet doors were open in the mornings even though we had closed them. I paid almost no attention to it. Then, as we were moving out, we learned that the owner had actually killed his wife and her lover in one of the bedrooms when he caught them in bed (he had done his time in jail; we just didn't know). I left my phone number with the new tenants and told them nothing of the phenomenon. A few weeks later they called me asking about opening cabinet doors. :devil:

I've had one other experience seeing an apparition which a child who was spending the night with me and my young- at- the- time Godson also saw.

Now, if only those ghosts would be helpful and prepare some meals, do the dusting and cleaning, and clean up the yard. Lazabouts, mostly...opening doors didn't do any good, they should have organized the cabinets.

We're having a political fund raiser here tonight and there is food all around. HELP!

Sloan, have a great weekend!

Rhonda

ps: I'm not trying to claim SS benefits at the moment, just trying to enroll in Medicare which I should have done months ago. But, since I didn't work in the US very long, I am 4 credits short of qualifying. That means that Medicare would cost me about $200/month. Now they are saying that I might qualify under DH, or my Canada work might qualify. Why did it take 4 visits to SS over 6 months for someone to tell me? One would think that I didn't work here at all, and I did. Blah, blah, blah...

ontarget
10-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Rhonda and JoJo, thank you for sharing with us. Here's why I asked about ghosts:

I grew up in a 1.5 story house (built the year I was born) in a small town. This house has an attic on the upper floor along with 2 bedrooms and a bath. Rhonda, Doyle will remember this house. It's the oone across from the Methodist Church.

We lived there from when I was in 2nd grade till April my junior year in high school. My brother and I were always afraid to be upstairs when our parents weren't home. We could "feel" something.

That was over 40 years ago.

About a year ago I was riding around this same town with our 2 young granddaughters. I slowed down when we got in front of this house. The owners were in the front yard, so I stopped to say hello. (Small town. I know them.) (They have been living in this house for over 40 years.) The wife invited us inside so the girls could see where I had grown up. We had a nice tour. Then......

When we got upstairs, she told us about the friendly spirit that stays upstairs. She said it just sort of checks on them every now and then. A few weeks later I asked a childhood friend who had remained in this small town all his life if he had ever heard anything about the spirit. He had. He said his father (my father's best friend) had told him all about it.

The house was built around an existing barn. We think someone had died in that barn.

There are a lot of things in this world that can't really be explained, aren't there?

Rhonda, I am hoping to qualify for Medicare on Curtis' SS. I hope you are qualified.

JoJo, we have a touch of Fall here, too. Curtis and I were outside shooting earlier. It's a beautiful day. We have Texas State Senior Games (used to be called TX State Senior Olympics) in 2 weeks. I'm getting excited. This championship is a qualifier for next year's Nationals Senior Games and I have some friendly competitors from New Mexico that will be here. We're looking forward to getting to shoot together at the same venue. Normally, we compare our scores via internet--this will be more fun.

Now it's about time for a low calorie lunch. Life is good.

beach bum
10-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Or should I say afternoon. I woke up late [10:30] and now it 11:45,going to skip dinner at noon and have it tonight.I was so tired driving to Plymouth and walking all those hills that they have there while window shopping. We saw the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock and than to Issac's for a fish dinner. Today I'm going to rest rest rest.

SANDRA-MV is a Island just south of Cape Cod, Have to go my a steam ship[car or the Island Queen[walk ons] put the latter stopped it service for the winter{Oct 12}. We go over to window shop at the small shops and that go out to dinner or lunch at a local restaurant We also walk along there beaches and than around the gingerbread cottages that the vineyard is so famous for. Really don't know too much of the history about MV. But here's the web site http://history.vineyard.net/hfnorton/history.htm

SLOAN-Hope you a wonderful weekend enjoy.

PAM-Hope you sister is feeling better today. Oh I know housework is never done. I have to dust every day as we have a cement factory near us and its that sandy dust day in and day out.Thanks I had a wonderful experiences driving up to Plymouth as I never drove on the main land before, only the Cape and I did great at least my lady friend told me.

JOJO-How exciting to have a friendly ghost on your premises. We have an Inn at our village green where a ghost resides he was a doctor that haunts but never scares, just there to make sure all the guest are happy staying there.

Have to go have a wonderful afternoon & evening

nancy237
10-15-2010, 07:51 PM
We took my grandson to the fair today. I have always gone with my kids ,
so it was sorta sad to eat the corn this year without my son there.

What a blessing though to be able to walk around the fair with hubby after his
back problem this year & 2 knee replacements.

Fair day is a no guilt- eat what I want day so that is all I will say about that !!!
I saw the fried frito pie but had no room to try it.

ontarget
10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Maryann, thak you for telling us about MV. It sounds like an interesting place.
No wonder you like to go there.

Nancy, I hope you enjoyed the Fair today. What a blessing that Robin is so much better!

pam920
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Evening ladies. Had a nice day. I got my walk in today. Did 1.5 miles. Hope to work up to 2 or more. I walked by myself. Sis is still not up to par. I think it's mostly her sinuses.

Sandra, those older ladies, I get them confused. I think I know which lady you are talking about. Yes, I like her too. Haven't really picked a fav. yet. That black girl that snatched the clues from the girl with the artificial leg, didn't like her but they showed a more human side to her this week.

Rhonda, hope you get medicare. Too funny about the ghosts doing some housework.

All this ghost talk. My daughter once owned a house that was built in the 1890's. She swears there was a ghost in the basement. She said she thought a woman might have been killed down there. She wasn't afraid, so it must have been a nice ghost.

Maryann, sounds like a good time. Hope the weather is nice. I love visiting small towns and hitting the shops.

jojo, I can't dance either. Used to love to when I was younger. I love Dancing With the Stars. I think your class was a win/win situation.

Nancy, we all need days like that. Glad you had a good time with your grandson.

I got the dining room, kitchen, utility room and both hallways done today. Mostly it's just dusty. Normally this would take one day, but I'm pacing myself. I think my husband might be heading here tomorrow or Sunday. I think he's done more than his fair share. I am seeing a side to his sisters that I didn't know existed. His mom is doing pretty good. I think his dad could handle it. My husband has pretty much been there most of the summer, with her being in hospital, then being so weak when she gets home. He feels guilty that we don't live closer and stayed there to help. In the meantime, I have been home alone, and having all these issues with my heart, etc.

Eating was good today. See you tomorrow.

ontarget
10-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Pam, I'm glad you're feeling well enough to walk. I'm also glad your DH is coming on down to be with you.

My eating has also been good today. Tomorrow I'm going to a wedding reception for a former student who was recently married in Denver. It will be good to see her again as well as other friends I haven't seen in awhile. Sunday afternoon I am going to a wedding shower. I think there is cake everywhere. Ya'll wish me luck. I'm still "sugar-free". Day 129 is almost over.

Night night.

jojo23
10-16-2010, 03:50 AM
What interesting ghost stories. Yes, ours is a nice friendly ghost but I don't think I'd like to live in the houses in this road that have roman legionnaires 'camping out' in their back gardens. Bit too spooky for me.

Pam. I had a nasty back injury many years ago and didn’t walk for quite sometime. When I was able to go out with my husband for the first time, it was a wonderful feeling and still is a treasured memory

Maryann, when I win the lottery I’m flying over to visit you! You have such a lovely social life. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could go through a stargate and step into somewhere thousands of miles away? You girls sound as if you live in lovely places.

Sandra Enjoy the wedding. I didn't start feeling middle aged until I began to get invites to the weddings of babies I had delivered!

Mark and I are off round the Charity Shops this morning. We collect treen (anything made of wood) we love finding bargains. I once bought a costume jewellery ring for £2.50 and a neighbour who was a jeweller valued it at over £120! You should have seen the managers face when I walked in and gave him a cheque for half the value!

Have a good one everybody. Weigh in for me this evening. I am hoping for the second half of my first stone (14lbs=1 stone) but just to have kick-started will satisfy me

beach bum
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Sun shining but I not going out for my walk today as I did something to the back of my knee.Of course its the weekend and the doctors are in. I can hardly walk,and need to get out to the grocery store for milk and other staples. I guess I have to ask one of my friends to do this errand for me. I think I did too much walking and pulled some kind of cartilage. Getting old is not fun.

SANDRA-Happy that I was able to post the information on MV. Its a lovely place there and here on the Cape that's the reason I won't leave here ever.

PAM=My DH always told me that my DD had a ghost in her house also. It was built in the 1700's when it was a carriage house on the Vanderbilt estate. He saw several times a lady wearing a period type of gown wondering the hallway in the wing we occupied when visiting. TG I didn't see :fr: her I won't go back in the house again. The weather is here is gorgeous,we always have a great Autumn on the CAPE.

JOJO=You would like the Cape & the Islands as they look alike little New England Villages it would remind you of where you live.and you wouldn't be home sick.

Have to go and rest my leg,have a great Saturday

ontarget
10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
It would be great to have a stargate and get to visit each other.

JoJo, I don't think I'd like to have Roman soldiers around either. My granddaughters didn't want to be around the friendly spirit that stays upstairs either.

Maryann, I am glad you have someone to run your errands for you, but I hope get better quickly. Take it easy.

I am home from the wedding reception waiting on my gf to get here so w can start training. Till she gets here, guess I'll watch Rangers/Yankees. Have a good evening,everyone.

jojo23
10-17-2010, 03:24 AM
I have visited the Cape Maryann, though many years ago. You are so right, it is a beautiful spot. Hang in there and take it easy.
When I was in Canada, I got into ice hockey. Being Welsh, I missed rugby no end and American football didn't really fill the spot for me. Friends took me to a hockey game and I was hooked. Its not played very much here and I miss it, along with baseball. The owner of Boston Redsoxs (a Mr Henry) has just bought Liverpool Soccer Club for many millions. It is all over our news.
Here's my big news: A whole 3lbs off this week, which takes me up to a stone (14lbs) :cb::cb:
A very cold morning here. When I let Dolly out there was quite a frost and she got the shock of her life when she sat on the frosty doorstep! This afternoon I am packing Christmas presents ready for Mark to post in the morning.
Sandra, we want to hear all about the reception and, if you can, post pictures. I'm willing to bet that you all looked wonderful.
Pam If you are at a loose end and want something to dust the WHOLE of my house needs doing!

ontarget
10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
JoJo, :woohoo: on losing those 3 pounds!! And congratulations on reaching one stone. You're on your way to have 20 pounds off for sure.

The reception was nice but very low key. Now today I have a wedding shower. This time I do not know the couple, but I do know the bride's parents. I won't get to be there very long because of play rehearsal.

Curtis and I don't normally watch baseball--Vickie, is our baseball fan here--however, we've sort of gotten caught up in the playoffs. We (mainly me) are caught up in high school, college, and professional football as well as college basketball. Final 4 March Madness (college basketball) is usually going on when we're in Louisville, KY and you can't imagine the excitement there. There's a TV screen several feet tall and wide outside in the downtown area where we stay. Lots of excitement!

But today is not as low key as normal. Church, lunch, wedding shower, play rehearsal, and a tiny bit of pro-football on TV. I see a least 3 clothes changes for today. :lol:

Tomorrow I will be shooting in the AM, watering flowerbeds and grocery shopping in the PM then OA in the evening. I know this doesn't sound like much, but I feel like I have a full day. So far, Tuesday is wide open. Wednesday afternoon I'll be at the ranch getting pedicure and manicure. Friday, I sub. Busy week for an old retired woman.

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone.

jojo23
10-18-2010, 03:43 AM
New pages ready on thread

beach bum
10-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Just wanted to let you know I still around but hurting.

My friend Alice had to take me to the ER yesterday as I heard my knee pop while getting out of my car.They took x-rays and I found out that I tore my hamstring in the back of my knee. I'm wearing a brace but I will have to make an emergency appointment with my orthopedic doctor this morning. They in the hospital told me to have I need an MRI and a possibly surgery to repair the hamstring.