PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 10:24 AM   #1  

Default any PCOS or IR not lose with Atkins?

I stuck to Atkins for 10 whole weeks and did not lose a pound. I have not been able to do weight watchers or calorie counting as I know it because of hypoglycemia. Has anyone else found that Atkins did not work for them at all and then found something that does work? I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels!

Take Care,
Katy
Old 10-28-2002, 11:01 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

WW has a Diabetic plan, did you know that? If you return to WW, just say you need the Diabetic Plan of WW and that should help you lose weight.

Most people know I am highly against Adkins and other "advertised" diets. Its important, IN MY OPINION, to meet with your local Diabetes Center's Registered Dietician and get on a Diabetic Type 2 plan that suits YOU and your lifestyle.

GL!
Old 11-01-2002, 12:56 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Katy, you may have had too many calories (that still counts even with low carb) or you may have had hidden carbs that you weren't aware of. Do you have your food logs? I would be happy to take a look at them if you want me to. Also, I heard Dr Atkin's asks people to call his weight loss office if they can't lose weight, to speak to a nurse. They will go over it with you.

Ask your doctor, maybe they can recommend something for you.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:01 PM   #4  
tnw

Katy,

I went on the atkins diet for 4 weeks, lost 10 pounds, and once I went off it , I gained 15!!! Anyway, because I gained 20 pounds in a short period time (while dieting and starving myself), My doctor made me see a nutritionist and the nutrtionist put me on a diabetic diet w/ the 'food exchanges' and I've been losing about 1.5 pounds a week. Who'da figured that sensible dieting actually works ?
I had always hated sensible dieting in the past, because I loved the results from the quick weight loss, starve yourself fad diets. Now w/ PCOS i know those diets don't work and work against your metabolism.

God Bless!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #5  

My doctor encouraged me to lower my carb intake, and with the help of Atkins guidlines I have gone from about 230 pounds to 181 pounds in about a year. It was hard, but I had to look at it as a change in how I was going to eat long term. My downfall was portion control, I was eating lower carb, but still eating way too much for my body. The people at the Atkins site as well as the phone support people were great and very helpful.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:13 AM   #6  
aka Zippy LiverFace

I did not lose on Protein Power which is a little more extreme than Atkins. I found Sugar Busters to be effective when I follow it and that's the plan my Endo put me on when she diagnosed me with PCOS.

You also might want to look at the level of Glucophage or Metformin that you're taking. I've heard when people up their dosage they start seeing results.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:47 AM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I will agree with Jennifer. there are so many factors with Atkins that can prevent many people from losing weight. PCOS is one of them that will make it harder but not impossible to lose. I am suffering from that right now and find that i start cheeting really easy when i do not see any progress. then i gain then lose my momentun then gain some more then well you get the picture. I have been stuck at this same weight no matter what i have done low fat low carb, exercised my butt off and well most everything. I am headding to the doctors today in hopes that =they will listen to my complaints and actually start testing for PCOS. so wish me luck!! maybe i can get things started to give me hope again.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Don't give up Sue! They will listen to you, I'm sure of it. Good luck!
Closed Thread