General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #1  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Default Eggs-giving me heartburn?

I have acid reflux and for some reason eggs give me terrible heartburn. I have narrowed it down over time and I am sure eggs are the culprit. I just don't know how to replace them in my diet. Did anyone experience this? Is it the yolk or white that causes it? Will eggbeaters also cause heartburn?

Last edited by 4star; 10-06-2010 at 08:07 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

Most egg substitutes still contain egg, so you might end up with the same issue. If you're fine going without stuff like scrambled eggs, you can try egg replacers, I've found that they work fine in most of my cooking. I got mine at whole foods, its a powder that contains no egg at all. I don't know if something like that would work for you, but it may be worth trying.
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #3  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I haven't noticed an increase when I eat products containing eggs but a dish primarily egg like deviled eggs or egg salad sandwiches and it flares up. Maybe I should steer clear of things that are primarily egg. I will do an egg white experiment too so I can see if that helps. I was just looking forward to hard boiled eggs being a snack staple but that might not be feasible.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm not sure it's the eggs. It could be the mayo that is in deviled eggs and egg salad, or the butter in scrambled eggs or fried eggs.

I would suggest trying hard boiled and seeing if that does it. (Plain...maybe a touch of salt)

Also, acid reflux is tough to pin point the cause of because the flare up doesn't happen for several hours. You may have just eaten an egg, but the real cause may have been last night's dinner. You'll never know.

My acid reflux stopped within three weeks of eating on the South Beach Diet. I quit that (stupidly). The second round I chose calorie counting. This time it took three months, but it did finally stop. I now eat pretty clean, mostly complex carbs, very little processed junk, and lots of protein, veggies and fruit.

Since eggs are such high sources of protein, I doubt they're the cause of the heart burn. But maybe.

Last edited by Eliana; 10-07-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote