Exercise! - Running in October

View Full Version : Running in October

pinkalarmclock
10-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Figured I would go ahead and start this months running topic. Hope everyone is doing well with their running!

I've started to do shorter runs with faster speeds because my body has gotten too use to jogging an easy pace for long distances. my body isn't seeing results like it use to and I've forgotten what it feels like to really push myself so im going to do sprints for a while, still probably do some long runs on the weekend.

thesame7lbs
10-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for starting the thread, pinkalarm! Great idea to mix in shorter, faster runs -- always helps your body to work it in different ways.

I had running highs and lows this weekend. I usually run in the morning, but on Friday had to wait until late afternoon. It was a beautiful day with the first hints of fall, and I had a great 5-mile run. Friday night, was literally up all night with a croupy toddler, and had the worst, most painful 3-mile run on Saturday. Just awful. Tired legs, tired body, tired brain. Coming off of that, I really didn't want to run this morning -- but dragged my butt out and had an incredible 8-mile run. Didn't feel the first bit of tiredness or weight in my legs until I went up a hill at 5 miles. Helped that it was about 50 degrees when I set out -- perfect running temp -- and that the sun didn't come out from behind the clouds until I had my back to it. :D

Wishing everyone a run like that this week!

AR4life
10-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I started adding a couple of sprints in to my run but came up with a sore left calf. I've been concentrating on stretching these past few weeks. I was getting complacent and was lucky thats the only injury I've suffered. :o

Happy Oct running to everyone :carrot:

bronzeager
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I just started my 2nd week of C25k! On the treadmill still, because it's frickin' 104 degrees out there. I might be able to go out after dark by the end of the week though. I feel kinda weird about getting my nice white running shoes dirty, is that stupid or what?

Janel83
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM
the weather is awesome. I think i'll go out for a run today...I need some good music though. Also, I get extremely tired...I guess I just have to PUSH

blueridgegirl
10-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Happy October, everyone!

I went for a great run this morning. I've discovered a new trail: it's 2.4 miles on crushed gravel and boardwork through the woods just outside of Charlottesville, and it ends at the base of Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson). I've walked it twice with my SO, and have been hankering to try running it, and did today for the first time. I ran out and back, 4.8 miles in 45 minutes flat. It's pretty much all up hill going out and all down hill coming back. On the way there I did take some walking breaks on the steeper parts just to not wear myself out but am pleased that I averaged under ten minutes a mile for the whole run, even with a few walk breaks. Planning to go back and run it again and tack on an extra two miles - out and back, and then out to the mile mark and back for just under seven miles, which would be my longest run so far.

Not racing in Oct because I'm going on vacation (2 1/2 weeks in Peru - Lima, Machu Picchu and the Amazon rainforest!) but looking ahead to my next 5k on Thanksgiving, a turkey trot. Let's make it a great month!

Bronze - I like keeping new shoes nice and shiny, too, at least at first, so I know what you mean.

Nienna
10-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Blueridgegirl, your post was so inspiring! I can't wait until I'm able to run 4.8 miles in 45 minutes. It sounds like you found a nice trail, too.

I just got back from a jog, and I feel pretty good right now. I've been off plan (not horribly, but still) with food for the past few days, and I didn't do any jogging last week due to shin splints. I sort of forced myself out the door this evening, feeling as though I were falling off the wagon. I even gave myself permission to do half my usual jog. Instead, I ended up jogging over 4.5 km without any walking breaks! It might not seem like much, but I definitely haven't done that in over a year (probably longer). If I can keep improving like this, I might just sign up for a half marathon in the summer. Or a 10K. We'll see how winter jogging goes.

wickedlady
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Having a great running month so far... Last sunday I ran race for the cure and beat my last 5k time (back in April) by 4 minutes! I have a 10k this weekend. Planning on a 5 mile run this afternoon. It's nice and cool, looking forward to that.

thesame7lbs
10-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Wickedlady, I am jealous of your races! It is hard for me to fit them in, between my husband's work schedule (he works a lot of weekends :() and the kids' activities. I am planning on a 10K in November and a 10K in December if my husband can work around them, and a half marathon in March.

Speaking of that half marathon in March... it's both a half and a full marathon. I've been flirting with the idea of running a full. I've had some tendonitis in my hip for just over a year, but it's really been feeling good lately, and I'm thinking, and I'm thinking, and I'm thinking about it... :dizzy: my husband said he'd run it with me (he did one in 2006). Oy, what am I getting myself into?

Ran 4 today with DS in the jogger. Felt good! Planning on 9 this weekend.

mkroyer
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
im in a serious slump you guys. I quit smoking (again) 1 1/2 weeks ago. Im very depressed. I have no motivation to run or do the things that i enjoy. Last week when i went to go do my final 20 miler before my marathon i had an anxiety attack and was only able to manage about 4 miles.
Oh, and ive gained 14 pounds in one week
I hate myself, and i hate running, and i hate everything. why do i do these things to myslef?

pinkalarmclock
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
mkroyer-- i've been there. sometimes the best thing for me to do when im depressed like that is just make sure to keep doing things. keep going to class, keep walking up on time, keep going to work or a meeting, and to keep at least starting my run or workout. as long as i keep getting up and doing things i get back on track. if i stop going to thing, like skip class and a workout then i just keep feeling bad and possibly even worst. i hope you feel better soon!

so my last few runs i start out at about a half a mile to a mile of jogging starting at an easy pace then going to about a half marathon pace, then i do about a minute fast then minute easy pace then a minute a little faster and a minute at an easy pace and keep going getting up to about 9.5 mph, on some of the faster running intervals ill repeat the same speed a couple times before moving up. then ill run at an easy pace (12 minute mile) for about 5 minutes then increase to a 10 minute mile with an incline of about 4-5 for five or so minutes. I really like it! My legs have been getting sore too! but thats probably because of workout video im doing too.

MBN
10-07-2010, 01:17 PM
mkroyer -- hugs!! :hug:

As much as I'd like to stay always in peak form, at optimal weight, with life under control -- it just doesn't seem to work like that. I find that I go through peaks and valleys in everything. You're just in a valley right now. Quitting smoking is major, training for marathon is major -- it's a lot to ask of yourself!!

One thing that helps me through it is to try to manage my expectations. You are so talented (and goal oriented), and I think you tend to expect too much of yourself? I try not to set time goals for races anymore, just go out and do what I can - that day. Maybe I'll walk the last 2 miles, but I'll finish, and if that's the best I can do, then that's good enough. That approach really helps me to manage my anxiety. Enjoy the moment. There is no failure!

I'm 3 weeks post marathon now, and am ramping runs back up again. I was really tired out the first week or so, but feel pretty much back to normal now. My 13 miler on Sunday went really well, I felt strong and held a decent pace (for me). I'm also heavy right now (5 lbs over redline!!), which really affects my speed. Our weather is finally cooling off a bit ... we have a 16 miler planned for Saturday as now we start to ramp up for Disney in January.

SGeranium
10-07-2010, 02:10 PM
mkroyer Take care of yourself lady. quitting smoking is GIGANTIC really tough, tough , tough. You are doing a lot of challenging things right now. (marathon, not smoking, turning thirty.... more I'm sure) Treat yourself with care. Smoking is more than a monkey on your back it's a gorilla.

My slump buster is a 3 mile run. It has special significance to me on many levels plus it's a fun, busy people watching spot. It almost always does the trick for me. It was the sight of my very first running victory. The first place I truly believed I could do much more that I thought possible. It's my go to for a run pick me up. Do you have a spot you love? try that maybe.......

Good luck whatever you do, I'm sure you will be great.

SGeranium
10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
hello runners!!!!

It so motivating to read about race and training plans. I love it. I'm a goal girl it would seem. With that being said I'm lookin around for a new one. after my June half mary, running became more of a side note. I had a total love affair with my bike over the summer and really only managed one or two 3-5 milers a week. I get blocked pretty easy. I'm working on it. I was thinking about a 15 km after thanksgiving maybe? It could always be a 10 km. I just need a goal. I need to stretch the right amount.

My dh started his 20 week 50 mile training plan a couple of weeks ago. Yes the same dh who started running about a year ago. Can you say addictive personality ?

lili58
10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I am back to running. After a month of not running more than 1.7 miles, I decided to be back in shape starting October. So, last Monday I ran 3.4 miles in 39 minutes and yesterday Wednesday, I ran it in 36.43 minutes. I am planning on going faster every time. I have signed up for a 5K in two weeks and I will try to improve my PRI. We will see!

thesame7lbs
10-09-2010, 10:53 AM
MK, :hug:. I hope you are feeling better today. You know how Jillian Michaels says, "Pain is fear leaving the body?" Well, right now, pain is nicotine leaving your body. Hopefully now you are through the initial detox. And can I say WTF!?!?!? You do all your running, including my dream half-marathon time, while smoking!?!? Holy moly, you are one tough chick I'm thinking.

SGeranium, I am a goal girl too, and I am casting about right now, having run a half last month. I have two 10Ks coming up, one in November and one in December, and would like to run them around 55 mins. Unfortunately, I can't do a lot of interval running because it aggravates some chronic tendonitis in my hip.

Lili58, way to jump back in!

Ran a touch over 9 miles this morning. Not a great run -- I haven't gotten much sleep this week, and I feel a chest cold coming on -- but I got through it. Now I have to not eat it all back...

ange82much
10-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Feeling sort of guilty because i've not run for about 1.5 weeks now. The biggest gap i've had in ages. It hasn't been planned, but i've just felt like i've needed a rest, so haven't forced myself to go out, but now i'm feeling like i should.

Yesterday however i did sign up for a hilly 5km race this sunday so i'm looking forward to that. I've never actually done a 5km race before i don't think, so it should be fun with no PB targets to worry about!

wickedlady
10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I had my 10k yesterday. I put in a really hard effort, I was proud of myself! I finished in 1:12:05. It was weird though, even though I was proud, it didn't feel as satisfying as I thought it would. Later that night I had a pretty bad binge. So not I'm wondering what's up with all that? :?: It's like that self-destructive behavior sneaks its way in sometimes and I'm not sure where the self-sabotage is coming from.

ange82much
10-12-2010, 06:17 AM
wickedlady - sorry that you didn't get a huge euphoria after your 10km. Sounds like you deserved to!! Sometimes it takes a little while and you get a delayed satisfaction. Hope that happens for you.

I went out at lunchtime and did about 4miles today and it was hard work really. I bought some new trail shoes at the nike factory outlet yesterday and tried them out today. They were good - shame about the person wearing them!! It felt a bit hotter than i'm used to at the moment (20C) and was quite humid too, but really i think i'm just a bit out of shape.

Also did a Pump class (weights) at the gym tonight for the first time in about 3 months, so doubtless i won't even be able to walk tomorrow.....

sznn
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi All,

Yesterday - I did the turkey trot 10K. I was happy with my watch time of 1:01...then I checked my 'official' time on the race site.
It was 58:26!
So my question is - why would there be such a discrepancy?
I would love to claim the 58:26 - but i am a little skeptical, although the timing chips are supposed to be accurate.
Any insight - anyone??

Thanks

thesame7lbs
10-12-2010, 10:53 PM
sznn, did you start your watch when the "gun" went off, or exactly when you crossed the starting line? The chip is supposed to compensate for the lag time between the starter's signal and when you actually enter the course. My last race I crossed the starting line 7 minutes after the race started!

MK, are you out there? How's it going?

Ange, a pump class sounds great! I think I need to find something like that.

Wicked, was it your first 10K or have you run others? I'm sorry the afterwards wasn't what you'd hoped/expected. I hear you on the binge. :hug:

Once again, I wasn't feeling up to my run today, so I did a slow 5-mile treadmill run. It felt great -- I moved my body, got my heart pumping, sweat a little, but didn't kill myself. I think that's a valuable lesson for me -- not every workout needs to be to exhaustion, I don't have to push the limit every time (I'm not very fast so my limit is not very high). Sometimes I get so bored on the treadmill that I run faster and faster just to get it over with -- but maybe if I can keep my head in the right place, I can enjoy the slow runs more. :)

krampus
10-13-2010, 04:16 AM
I'm absolutely terrible at running, though I'm lightyears better than I was even just a few months ago.

Right now I don't have any way of measuring distance - no car, no smartphone, etc. I tend to run erratic paths and I burn out and need to walk for a minute or 30 seconds after about 10-15 minutes of jogging. How do you push through that need?

ange82much
10-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Ange[/B], a pump class sounds great! I think I need to find something like that.

There are hundreds of Pump classes every day around sydney. Heaps in australia and heaps in UK too. And i've done them in singapore and thailand. It's the most popular class by far across all the gyms, and has been for years.

If there's none in US and you want to start a successful business.......!! (or check out the Les Mills website - there might be some near you?)

wickedlady
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Wicked, was it your first 10K or have you run others? I'm sorry the afterwards wasn't what you'd hoped/expected. I hear you on the binge. :hug:

this was my second, and I smashed my time from my first... so I dunno what was up with my mood afterwards! Probably just spent... I really did push it. Now that some time has passed I am very pleased (although I've already set my sights on lowering the PR next time of course :dizzy: )

wickedlady
10-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm absolutely terrible at running, though I'm lightyears better than I was even just a few months ago.

Right now I don't have any way of measuring distance - no car, no smartphone, etc. I tend to run erratic paths and I burn out and need to walk for a minute or 30 seconds after about 10-15 minutes of jogging. How do you push through that need?

Sounds like you are running too fast- slow down! :D Don't worry about speed, that will improve naturally as time goes on.

thesame7lbs
10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Krampus, I second the advice to slow down. Start off by jogging as slowly as you possibly can. Set a goal of a minute jogging and a minute walking. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It will not be long before you can jog two minutes with a minute walking, and then 3 minutes, then 4. Or, look up "couch to 5k" and find a 5k training program. The C25K starts off with jogging/walking intervals.

I don't know if gmap-pedometer.com works in Japan. It's a hack of google maps that lets you map your run. It's one of my favorite websites b/c I love to crunch numbers and I appreciate the accurate distance measurements.

wickedlady, I'm glad you're feeling better about your race! I'm like you -- "yea! I got my time lower. Now let's lower it some more!"

I had a great running weekend. 6 miles on Friday, 3 fast (for me) miles on Saturday, and then on Sunday, I rallied after a night out and only 5 hours of sleep, and ran 10.4! I was feeling a little crappy in the morning and told myself I didn't have to run the full 10 -- then gave myself a swift kick in the rear and said, "Don't give up before you even get out there!" It wasn't the greatest run ever, but nor was it the worst. And I'm so proud of myself for getting it done!

ange82much
10-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I did my 5km race on Sunday and staggered up and down the hills for a very unimpressive 29:12. Was aiming for under 28............

Yesterday i did another 5km with colleagues at lunchtime (and a Pump class in the evening).

This morning i got up early and did a 12km very hilly trail run which took ages but was very nice. This to be rounded off with a spin class tonight, so my legs will be officially smashed by tomorrow!

I need to ramp it up a bit now though.

krampus
10-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Today I went out for a jog. My legs felt 80% better after the hike and I didn't want to get too comfortable not running.

I started off slow - didn't want to aggravate anything, and wanted to take the advice I got from this thread.

Well, I just went and went and went for about 45 minutes before my knee started to ache faintly. I probably went only 3-4 miles, but it was 3-4 miles of STRAIGHT RUNNING.

I'm so excited! I hope this keeps up and today wasn't just a freak accident. I've never run more than 17 minutes at a time before without taking short walking breaks.

ange82much
10-19-2010, 07:04 PM
it's so good to hear about people suddenly enjoying and improving their running - great work krampus.

Next piece of advice is not to run that far again until next week - go back to your normal stuff for a few days - injury prevention strategy!!

wickedlady
10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
been kinda slacking this week... I have felt like doing yoga more. It's really hard to devote the attention I want to both at the same time! I am looking forward to running a 5k on friday evening in my glenda the good witch costume, though!! :)

ncuneo
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I know I'm a little late, but I just wanted to jump in.

I'm in the peak of my half marathon training and starting to panic a little!

I had a pretty good 11 mile long run on Sunday, not my best, but good. Afterwards though I was really sore, which is why I'm panicing, I don't usually get sore after runs anymore. I couldn't do my recovering run Monday because of it, but I made up last night with 4 miles on the treadmill.

I did another 4 miles this morning, it was supposed to be 5 but I ran out of time, so I'll do 5 instead of 4 Friday and all will be well. Again, though a little sore. I'm a little worried I may have a small tear in my calf. When I did my 10 miler a couple weeks back I tweaked it because there was something on the bottome of my shoe.

This Sunday is the big peak 12 miles! I'm nervous, mostly about my calf. Then another 4,5,4 and then the taper!

I'm looking forward to my taper, the milage has been getting a little much for me and I'm looking forward to getting back to shorter distances with the occassional longer push.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Great job everyone - keep it up! And MK lots of hugs.

thesame7lbs
10-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Ncuneo, are you stretching a lot? Now is a good time to add even more stretches to your post-run routine. It's not surprising that you're getting sore -- 11, 12 miles is a long way! Pop an Advil for sure. Have you ever used a foam roller to work on your muscles? I think there are videos on youtube of how to use them. It really helps!

I got awesome new running shoes today. Saucony. I've never worn that brand. I've been in Mizunos for years, before that I think I wore Nikes. They were a splurge but thankfully I had a coupon for 20% off. When I tested them on the treadmill I felt like I could run forever -- and that was after my 6 miler this morning! Can't wait to get out there tomorrow morning. I will run tomorrow morning before heading out of town for my high school reunion. I'm planning on running Saturday morning, too, a 6 miler through my hometown in NJ. Hopefully won't be too tired from going out Friday night...

MK -- are you out there? How are you doing?

ange82much
10-22-2010, 09:10 PM
16km trail run for me this morning. It was great! Started off with 3km of uphill (not especially steep, but relentless!) then a nice plateau and finishing off with a steep rocky downhill and then retrace steps back to start (finishing off with 3km downhill - yippee!!!).

This was further than i've been since i broke my foot in April so i'm pretty happy and have a post-run high!!

12km trail race in the Blue Mountains next weekend so that should be interesting....

joyfulloser
10-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I got awesome new running shoes today. Saucony.

I second this motion!;) Just got a pair early this week and I LOVE THEM!!! I got the Saucony Pro 3 (never heard of the brand either). Before I got them I was having achilles tendon problems...but now NO PAIN!

Unfortunately, I can't even DREAM about running the mileage you gals run (9, 10, 11 miles....:o) but I'm steadily climbing in mileage. Currently I'm up to 1 1/2 miles without walking. I jog/run (outdoors) a total of 4 miles 5-6 days/week. I think I'll my mileage will continue to climb as I lose the weight. I'm bottom heavy (thighs, hips) so that in itself makes my run more difficult...more weight to thrust forward...:^:

That's a great motivator for me to continue to lose the weight cuz I really love running. Been doing it now for 6 weeks and only started at being able to run 30 seconds non stop! When I see the "skinny girls" flying pass me on the track, that motivates me...as I also think..."I'm carrying twice the bottom load she is...which makes me stronger!" haha!

Oh and I'm a native NY'r too;) (NJ..NY..same thing..haha)

ncuneo
10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
My last pair were saucony. I liked them, but as my milaged increased they started pinching my toes. I'm about 1/2 way through a pair of asic kayanos that I'm in love with! A little pricey but worth it.

I'm notorious for not stretching, I'm a very bad girl! I always forget for some reason. I actually think the cramping may have been from incorporating gatorade prime pre run and gatorade during my run. I'm going to test this tomorrow durning 12 and go water only.

wickedlady
10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Holy crap, I just registered for my first half maraton :eek:

After taking a really light running week, like 5 days off I think... I have had a few great, rejuvenating runs. I came home from a crisp, autumn run and had an email about registering for the colfax half marathon here in denver. I just thought, what the heck! If anything it'll keep me from turning lazy this winter :D

ange82much
10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
woo hoo, well done wickedlady.

Have you done halves before?

wickedlady
10-26-2010, 07:30 PM
newp... furthest distance I have mastered is the 10k... it's good to have something to work towards :)

ncuneo
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Have fun wickedlady, it is most certainly a challenge. I'm running my first Nov. 14th and just finished the peak of my training at 12 miles. I ran every last mile and did not stop. The training was challenge but rewarding.

The hardest part was keeping an eye on my nutrition and eating enough and accepting that weight loss is not a priority right now. I'm excited for my taper til the race and getting back to a more managable weekly milage and maybe a little more weight loss.

Good luck!

wickedlady
10-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Have fun wickedlady, it is most certainly a challenge. I'm running my first Nov. 14th and just finished the peak of my training at 12 miles. I ran every last mile and did not stop. The training was challenge but rewarding.

The hardest part was keeping an eye on my nutrition and eating enough and accepting that weight loss is not a priority right now. I'm excited for my taper til the race and getting back to a more managable weekly milage and maybe a little more weight loss.

Good luck!

From a nutritional standpoint... are you referring to gels and whatnot when you are running for that long? Or just eating more in general? I'd like to keep losing weight.. but the race isn't until May. My plan is an extremely slow weekly mileage build... if it's gradual I'm hoping it won't be constant trauma to the body and therefore I might be able to continue losing without my body rebelling on me? I don't know, wishful thinking maybe :lol:

ncuneo
10-27-2010, 01:43 AM
No I'm speaking of more just nutrition in general. In the begining you shouldn't have too much trouble continuing to lose, but as your milage increases it's really hard on your body to be in a deficit and train. I had a 18 week schedule and was only able to lose 5 lbs roughly. I will say though that I do struggle with binging at times and I don't know if this current rash was just my body begging me to eat more or what, but I know I was under eating by the shear exhaustion I was experiencing. I'm not saying you won't continue to lose, but be prepared as your milage increases to see a possible slow down and dont be afraid to eat more and don't be afraid to eat whole grain pasta (it really helps). I'm still a rookie, but these are just sone of the tips others have shared with me and some of the things I've discovers on my own. I'm actually anticipating a big loss these next few weeks durning the taper in milage before my race, just because my body will be under less stress. I wish I had better info and more concrete data for you. Good luck and listen to you body and fuel it well.

krampus
10-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Wow, good luck to everyone on their races! I'm nowhere near Speed Racer territory yet, but I do have a gross question.

When you're running in colder temperatures and in wind, do you often find phlegm and snot buildup that sort of nags and drips the entire way?

ange82much
10-27-2010, 04:00 AM
When you're running in colder temperatures and in wind, do you often find phlegm and snot buildup that sort of nags and drips the entire way?

This is where trail running comes in. No-one around to see, so you just snort it out with a flick of the head as you go....:)

krampus
10-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Eff that. Where I live I see at least 2-3 old men's dongs per week since they pee outside like hillbillies. I'm already the only female jogger I've ever seen; might as well be the only snot-rocketing female jogger too!

Is there anything that can be done to combat the drippage? It's really irritating and distracting...

ange82much
10-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Is there anything that can be done to combat the drippage? It's really irritating and distracting...

Ok, sometimes if i'm going somewhere populous i take a hanky, but that's not as much fun as the snot-rocket.

joyfulloser
10-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Eff that. I'm already the only female jogger I've ever seen; might as well be the only snot-rocketing female jogger too!

Ok, sometimes if i'm going somewhere populous i take a hanky, but that's not as much fun as the snot-rocket.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wickedlady
10-27-2010, 08:05 PM
eh, I live in the city, and I snot rocket all the time. I don't even slow down. No shame! :lol: This is where old racing t-shirts come in handy too :lol:

matt_H
10-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I did a 5 mile run on Monday which is really far for me (at a very slow pace). I know I should run tonight but I'm delaying it and reading 3fcs instead! Alright, I should do this and run!

krampus
10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Go go go Matt!

I wish I had a pedometer or GPS device to track my distance. Last night I ran for one hour and five minutes without slowing down much or walking which is my biggest accomplishment to date in the field of running. I am venturing and guesstimating that I probably went 5.5-6 miles or thereabouts.

wickedlady
10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Go go go Matt!

I wish I had a pedometer or GPS device to track my distance. Last night I ran for one hour and five minutes without slowing down much or walking which is my biggest accomplishment to date in the field of running. I am venturing and guesstimating that I probably went 5.5-6 miles or thereabouts.

just remember the route you took and map it out on www.runningahead.com when you come home :)

thesame7lbs
10-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Ncuneo, you must stretch! You must! Especially when you are running such long distances! Skipping it just sets you up for injury. I had an injury last year that kept me on the sidelines for 6 months -- believe me, you don't want that.

And that goes for all of you ladies and Matt, too! ;) I do dynamic stretching before my run and static stretches after.

And I love the phrase "snot-rocket." I might start using that in my everyday conversations, just for fun.

Wickedlady, way to go! I've only done two halves (does that count as one whole? I guess not -- they were three years apart), but they were both amazing experiences and so very gratifying.

Matt, I love the "Token Rooster" tag line.

I am officially registered for a 10K next Sunday. Can't wait! I was hoping to run it under 57 minutes but after today's run that doesn't look very likely...

krampus
10-31-2010, 09:55 PM
just remember the route you took and map it out on www.runningahead.com when you come home :)

Ah if only my rural cow town in Japan were covered on here. Also, my route involves a ton of zig zagging through big parking lots.

That is a brilliant invention though and I'll definitely be using it when I move back to the US! Thanks!

ange82much
11-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Ah if only my rural cow town in Japan were covered on here. Also, my route involves a ton of zig zagging through big parking lots.

That is a brilliant invention though and I'll definitely be using it when I move back to the US! Thanks!

Hi krampus - i haven't seen the website you're talking about but it sounds like mapmyrun.com which uses google maps so would have thought that would cover your area?

Ran 5km this morning and it was one of those really hard-work runs. Ah well, not had one for a while so i guess it was due! :whoo: