Diabetes Support - October Chat

View Full Version : October Chat

fatmad
10-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I will start since no one else has in Ruth's absence.
Today, I stuck to plan. ate well so far, (having asparagus and a small steak for supper in a bit) and did my exercise. I walked 40 minutes, and later went to a 1 hr hot yoga class. This is quite aerobic for me, and I sweat a ton. I intend to to 90 minute classes on Saturday and Sunday. And go for some trail walks.
I think I will have to add in some weights and crunches to make sure the toning is good, although we did some good core stuff in yoga today, so not sure if the crunches are needed.

Planning on ordering a movie tonight. Happy weekend everyone, happy October

pattygirl63
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Fatmad Thanks for starting the October chat. You off to a great start with exercise and staying OP. Good for you.

I am starting Induction tomorrow. Will be one day behind you. Just can't handle the carbs. Sets off a craving and I overdo the carbs, so back to Atkins I go.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

pattygirl63
10-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Started Atkins Induction today and with a whole new attitude. Approaching it with the attitude of what I can have that isn't allowed on other plans. Got my book out and reading it again too. I think with a new and fresh attitude, it will be a doable pleasure. After all, this is the way I need to eat in order to keep BG under control. They say the key to successfully getting BS under control and being healthy for a diabetic is learning that you have to take control and manage things yourself. I realize that I can't look at this as a diet any more, I have to look at this as a way to being healthy.

Fatmad How did your Day 1 go? Maybe we can encourage each other with this woe lifestyle.

Hope everyone have a great weekend.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-02-2010, 09:30 PM
MADELEINE ~ thanks for starting the new thread; it is appreciated, as I am keeping 2-3 others threads going as well. I wasn't here yesterday as we had a very busy day doing a lot of running around, shopping & walking; plus paying bills and doing errands, etc. Boy, were my legs & feet glad to rest last night; I went to bed a bit earlier too ...

Guess who had a bit of the ***white stuff*** fall today? I think this is the earliest I can recall, but it was very light and melted as soon as it touched ground. We had to go back up town today for other stuff we needed, and the weather has been so varied just in one day; we had ***, then :sunny:, and :rain:, then :sunny: again, but now the sun is gone behind a big fur tree and it feels chilly in here again. We had to put the furnace on but it only ran once and then stopped. It will come back on during the night I'm sure as it is supposed to get down into the 30's F here ...

We had a pair of WHISKEY-JACKS (or gray-jays) here all week and today they were stocking up on food for the winter. They kept coming back and filling their beaks/gullets and carting the food to different places. They had a run-in with some blackbirds (grackles) the other day, but I think they have
finally left for the south as we haven't seen them here since. We put out a bit extra food for them for their long trip.

We had leftover BBQ spit chicken with some veggies & new potatoes. WE ate much later tonight as we got home late from shopping so lunch was late as well, but I did make a pot of roasted veggie soup with barley & lentils for lunch. That was so nice an a cold day like today. I think we are all set for winter; DH and I stocked up on socks and such. I also picked up some things I was missing in my pantry as I like to stock up for the winter at this time of year.

Well, dinner & cleanup are all finished, then put away some stuff in the cubby for storage for a little while. Hope you all are having a great weekend ... ttyl, Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
10-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Rosebud: they are threatening some snow for us tomorrow as well, so who knew autumn is the new winter!
I went for a 90 minute yoga class, but they had shortened it to only 60. Didn't get out for a walk today, it was rainy and we did a lot of errands, tho if walking through stores counts as exercise, home depot did it for me.
My back is having problems tho. The yoga helps, but I am hoping its just because I am not used to exercising so much and its just sore muscles.
Sticking to plan. Trish, you gotta try these heroin chicken wings. They were awesome. tho messy for the oven. had them with veggies and blue cheese dip. was worth avoiding dairy the rest of the day for it.
I found a copy of the 2002 book and am going by that. BTW, they also published atkins for life that year, a whole book about long term lifestyle with meal plans for 45, 60 and 100g carbs/day depending on where you settle in for maintenance. Yes, this is where we will settle in long term, but induction is not a permanent state of being. I am reading and re-reading parts of the book like its a lifeline into weight loss, which it is.
hope everyone is having a good weekend.
right now i am doing ok with induction, lets see what tomorrow brings.
breakfast plan, omelet with spinach and feta. avocado for snack. (thats when I miss lemons, cursed allergies)
I am really not doing the sweets, avoiding most splenda. Its really hard at times. I am a sweet-a-holic. I have curbed my sweet intake, but I haven't really quit them, so I am letting that go this time. I went off the the splenda a while back, and have been using a lot less since I allowed it back into my life. keep it up trish, you can do it.
ttfn

pattygirl63
10-03-2010, 03:46 PM
My first day back on Induction went great. I actually enjoyed the day and the food.

MADELEINE Wondered what your name was. Glad to know. The 2002 book is the one I've got and going by as well. Never heard of the Heroin wings, but looked it up online so will try them. Any suggestions on best way? I absolutely love wings and it makes you feel like you are eating so much more than you are. a good psychological thing I think. I cook them rather plain for now... wrap mine in foil and cook them in my toaster over, then when done I open up the foil and broil them until they have a crusty top (making them a crunchy food). Just use salt on them so the heroin recipe will be a nice change. I've got chicken wings in the little oven now.

I've been making myself a 2 eggs salad with celery, bacon and mato for breakfast, lunch today was homemade lowcarb chicken soup. Just put a little celery, onion, broccoli and cauliflower in it with a chicken thigh and a chicken breast. Will have a snack ham, celery and cream cheese roll ups before I go to church and have my chicken thighs when I get home with a salad of greens and mayo. I love salads with mayo instead of dressing and Duke's brand has no sugar.

Rosebud I just know your house always smells so good with your cooking. I love BBQ, but haven't found a low carb friendly brand locally yet. I keep telling DH that we need to drive over to Matthews, NC to the Trader Joe's as I think they carry a lot of low carb friendly stuff. In the meantime, I've got to hit Walmart tomorrow to get some Atkins friendly foods.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

fatmad
10-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Trish, can't get Dukes Mayo up here. In fact, I am griping after going shopping yesterday. I basically have a choice of 2 stores, and they both seem interested in LIMITING the brands available, not expanding them. SO for may I can get helmans, and a store brand. thats it. You wouldn't know it, there is a big shelf of mayo, but its in different sizes and packaging, (jar or squeeze bottle) etc.
Recently, they seem to have cut out my brand of tea. (hence my ranting)
THere are a lot of brands from europe and the US I would like to try. Sometimes I can get them at specialty stores, but its a pain. I went to a specialty store yesterday, they had a nice shelf of diabetic products, got a mayo to try that uses splenda instead of sugar, (whats wrong with none?)
and a chocolate syrup. The sorbee choc syrup is awful, but this at least taste s like chocolate, so I have hope.
Next time I visit my dad I may go grocery shopping in BUffalo just to get some other brands thats are not available here.
Went for a nice walk today, but the back was still sore, so didn't go to a yoga class, think I will do some yoga stuff at home tonight, without the class, so I can avoid the back bends, they seem to aggravate it.
so yes, look up the heroin wings and give a try. I have a nice wing sauce for dipping. I tried using that before rolling the wings in the cheese, but it didn't work well. So I will just dip after cooking.
having leftovers today. mmm

Lindyloo
10-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Good morning.

Looks like everyone is starting back on induction, Me too, although with a few more carbs, maybe I can call it phase 2.

Madeline, thank you for reminding me of Atkins for Life. I bought the whole kit when it first came out. Must go find that.

Yes, you have to try the herion wings. They are so yummy when fresh out of the oven.

I agree Sorbee chocolate is yucky. I did buy some SF chocolate while I was in the States which we can't get here. It's made by Dove and it's very good.

Have a great day everyone.

want2bfit4me
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Good afternoon girls...........

I have been out of pocket for almost the past week. I have not been on here much. I have been checking up and sounds like you all are doing well with eating and some exercising.........

I have not been being good with my eating. I will blame that on not being at home the biggest part of the time but really it is my fault. I am trying hard to get on track but not doing so well. I did just finish a 3 mile boot camp work out by Leslie Sansone. Picked it up at walmart yesterday.

Some updates on my kids............

Friday when we got home from BIL funeral (stayed until late afternoon) I got a phone call from my daughter. She was checking on my biopsy results which by the way showed normal tissue so must have been just some screwy periods I was having. She is having some female problems as well and told me that she is going to have an exploratory lap done on this coming Tues. I asked her if I could be there and she told me her husband would be there and I told her that I did not care and still wanted to be there and she told me that was ok. I got some wonderful advice from one of my SIL at the funeral on Friday. Told me that I did not want to loose my daughter and that if that meant being around him then that was what I needed to do. If not then if the time came for them to divorce then she might not feel comfortable about coming to me for help or even coming back home. She will call me this afternoon and let me know what time to meet them at the hospital.

My son (the one I had the disagreement with) invited me over to supper last night. Just me and him. We had a good talk and decided to work harder on our relationship even though we did not always agree with each other.

My youngest son had breakfast with us at a local restaurant on Sunday morning. It was just good seeing him and able to talk for a bit. Did not even harp on him about not having a job.

God has blessed me this past few days with being able to spend some time with my kids and work on our relationships. I am so thankful.

Rosebud Thank you for making me laugh last week with your comments on my kids. I needed a good laugh. I had definitely cried enough.

Thank you so much for being here you are very much appreciated..........
Leann

fatmad
10-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Leann: your SIL sounds like a wise woman. I think my own sister lost a couple of friends by not liking their mates, and being vocal about it. THe friends didn't patch it up even after the divorces, so that may be true. I can't stand my sister's husband, but have never said so. I just listen when she wants to gripe.
its good that you are just accepting him being there.
I usually get to see men at their best with their wives in labour, most are quite wonderful then, and I am sure it will be like that for this procedure. You may see a side of him you can appreciate, if nothing else.

There heroin wings were wonderful.
BUt no weight loss this first few days on induction. It may sound weird, but I am going to increase my fat intake for a few days and hope for the best.

Lindyloo, I leave for Edmonton on Wednesday morning, have a conference until Friday, staying to shop a bit on Saturday before coming home. I will think of you and wave!

pattygirl63
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi Everyone

Have had a great OP day. Day 3 on Induction. Blood sugar was up this morning, but it was because I stayed up waayyyy toooooo late with DH last night and it usually goes up when I don't get enough sleep. It was back down after lunch. I have a routine/plan (schedule) for each day of how I'm eating to stay on Induction to keep my carbs to 20 grams, so all is fine. I've been more active but no formal exercise. I may work on getting that going tomorrow. We are planning a trip the end of the month to visit DH son and his family. Not sure how I'm going to work my low carb diet for then, but have to stay as low carb as possible. I'll have to do some planning between now and then.

Leeann I agree with everyone about you DD husband. My oldest son's wife didn't like any of his family and we had not relationship with them the whole time they were married. Got along with his second wife. His 3rd wife was fine until they married and I married. She doesn't like any of his family so we don't hear from him any more. He used to sneak to call me especially on Mother's day, but the last time he called she caught him and I've never heard from him since. I'm so glad things are working out for you and your kids relationships.

Lindyloo and Madeleine I got the parmesan (sp) cheese today to make the heroin wings one day. I love wings anyway so have to watch how many I fix because I could eat the whole bag. It will be nice to have a different way to fix them. I usually make them plain, but have made buffalo wings as well.

Madeleine The problem we have here about certain brands is they don't carry them all the time. There is a brand of milk called Count Down by Hood which has 3 grams carb and 90 calories in their regular milk and their chocolate, but the only place I can get it doesn't carry the chocolate all the time. Walmart has a Soy milk that has a vanilla and a chocolate flavor. Trouble is they never have the chocolate any more. I finally bought the vanilla today because I was at Walmart and it has only 1 gram carb per serving. It tastes pretty good... I just hope they will have it next time I go. I bought the last 2 cartons they had.

Have a good night.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
LEANN ~ You're quite welcome! I agree with your SIL & Madeleine -- the most important thing is loving your daughter and maintaining your relationship with her, no matter who she is married to. You only have to practice tolerance and as Mad says, every now & then, you will see a glimpse of why she loves him. Besides, it will also be good practice for when your boys marry down the road too; and I know that you want to be an :angel: of a MIL ... ;)

MADELEINE ~ today, we were totally blessed with :sunny: and temps in the 70's too, and that is supposed to last all week. Finally, our real fall is here ... :)

:wave: LINDYLOO ~ good luck with your plan ...

TRISH ~ you are more patient than me -- I can't be bothered going all over the place for a different bottle of this or a carton of that. I just buy the best one I can find at our two local food stores; and some things I just have cut out or make my own. I am fortunate that my BSL's are doing good now; but I have to watch the sugar and my portion sizes the most.

Becuz of the lovely weather, we went up town to pay bills and pick up some things at a new dollar store here; and a bulk food place. We had a very small lunch (DH & I shared a slice of pizza), but I sure got lots & lots of walking in today; so, I am resting my tired legs now.

I was just reading a story in the OUR CANADA magazine about a lady who went on a trip with her DH to Italy when she was pregnant. It was interesting to hear her point of view of Rome, but she said that maybe she was jaded becuz they went in July and it was over 110 degrees F for the whole time. She said the food always seemed to be something akin to Chef Boy R Dee at every restaurant they went to; and their hotel was too far out of the city as well. I sure hope RUTH picked better places than they did, but then she has been there before ... ;)

The wings sound lovely ladies, but since they are high in calories for my plan, I have either breasts or drums more often. Hope you all have a wonderful week ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
10-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I've had a great day OP. Even did the Leslie Sansone's Power 1 mile walk. So I have formal exercises started. I read where Atkins book says start out doing 2 days a week and build up. However, I am going to attempt 3 days though. I usually am very busy Monday, Wednesday and Friday which with walking envolved those days so my goal is to exercise Tues, Thurs and Sat.

I have a question. I asked it on Atkins since I'm doing Atkins, but I want to ask it here because of the diabetes and taking Metformin. On Metformin, we don't have the problem of hypoglycemia situations that you get on other meds. I usually eat 3 meals and a snack each day. My question is this... Do you eat when you are not hungry? To me eating when you are not hungry is not wise or a good thing. I had 2 good meals today and loved the heroin wings. Evidently it satisfied me so that I have not been hungry since then. I did make a low carb vanilla ice cream with Stevia instead of Splenda and I'm am totally fine. My doc had said I could eat ice cream in place of a meal, but he was thinking of regular ice cream with sugar. I'm just thinking that the fat on the wings and my salad and then in the ice cream must be doing its job of curbing my appetite.

When I was a teenager and was thin (never was skinny), I never ate more than 2 meals with a snack once in a while. Today's eating has actually felt more like the way I ate back then. Maybe Atkins is going to help me get back to what was originally normal for me.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Oh Lindyloo and Madeleine I took chicken tenders and cut them up and made DH chicken nuggets with the heroin wing recipe using season salt instead of the oregano and he loved it. This will be a regular in our house for sure.

Hope everyone has had a great day.

fatmad
10-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Trish, one of the points with atkins and with diabetes, is to keep sugars steady and not have highs and lows that trigger eating outside of plan.
So small frequent meals are the idea. The smaller meals don't challenge our bodies in the same way.
that said, I often find the atkins meals quite satisfying, but then get really hungry when I get hungry. So, I have learned to eat "ahead" a bit so I don't get overly hungry, which leads me away from plan. But you also have to figure you what is right for you. I find the arbitrary ideas of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and supper doesn't work so well, I usually have breakfast at 730 to 8, and with lunch at noon, don't usually need any snack in between. I MUST have a snack between 3 and 4 pm, and prefer supper a little later, between 6 and 7, but also seem to need something just before bed. SO I have adjusted to my own body clock. If I eat breakfast earlier for some reason, I may have a morning snack if there will be a long gap before lunch. Its hard at times with irregular hours.
Glad you enjoyed the wings, I appreciate hearing about them on the forum.
I will be in Edmonton at a conference for a few days, will have internet, so may check in briefly. at an airport hotel for the night, hoping to get some sleep before I leave at 5 am.

pattygirl63
10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Madeleine I believe you are right so will work at getting meals and snacks more regulated.

Just a quick flyby to say hello and have a great day.

Lindyloo
10-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Good Morning:)

Great idea about the chicken tenders Trish. I will have to try that.

Have a great time in Edmonton Madeline.

Leanne, hope everything works out for your family. We didn't get along with our first DIL, but the second one is a real gem. Wouldn't trade her for the world.

Going to start working on planning my meals a bit more. I have been reading Atkins for Life so hopefully I can get something out of that.

Have a great day all.

theCandEs
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
So many in-law troubles! I guess it must not be unusual. We have not had contact with my brother and his wife for 5 years. She hates us, and we can't please her. It's very sad.

I don't always agree with my MIL, and sometimes she is a real pain and very disagreeable, but I am polite when she is around and I've learned to keep my mouth shut, even when she makes snide comments about my cleaning and child rearing skills. We had her over for dinner just last weekend. She is my husband's mother, after all. What's more is I have two boys. What am I going to do if they marry a mean woman like my SIL? At least I know how not to be a mean MIL, I guess.

I wonder if I should buy the Atkins book. Everyone seems to be on it. I've run out of test strips, so I'm just winging it right now.

want2bfit4me
10-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes and wise comments.

My daughter did great with her exploratory lap yesterday. Got along wonderful with her DH and his grandma was there also. She is a doll and absolutely loves my DD. Spoils her rotten. Went to there house afterwards and when I got ready to leave I got a hug from my DD that showed me how much she appreciated me. I called her again last night to check on her and will check on her again today.

Today is the day to start eating right again. No more crappy carbs for me.
My fasting sugar was 105 this morning and I will take it. Had my egg beaters with 2 slices of canadian bacon and a sprinkle of cheese on it and a glass of V8 for breakfast. Will have a salad and some kind of left over meat for lunch.
I will have to have a snack between 3-4 probably some nuts. I can't go that long between lunch and supper and not eat something.

Anyway have a great day
Leann

pattygirl63
10-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Great to see everybody here.

Leann So great to see things working out between you and your DD and her hubby. Her hugging you was such a sweet way of sending you the message of how much she appreciates you.

[CandEsB][/B] I've had 3 MIL (1st 2 DH deceasedd). I always said my 1st one was from ****. LOL But actually she did have a good side and was loads of fun when she let it show. I always treated her with respect whether she deserved it enough for the same reason you said... she was the Mother of my DH. God blessed me with my last 2 MIL because they were like my Mother than a MIL. They both had sons only and the 2nd MIL always said for me not to tell the other DIL, but I was the daughter she never had. DH Mother lived with Tony and me when we married and she always said she felt like I was her daughter instead of her DIL. People would ask her about how she could stand to live with us, but she always said it was a pleasure to be with us. I too try to be a good MIL and would treat my oldest son's wife like a daughter if they were in our lives.

Lindyloo I too am working at planning my meals better and more often. In fact, after reading what Madeleine wrote here and what other said to me on the Atkins thread, I am going to mini-meals about every 4 hours. I think I was eating too much at meal time and going too long between meals and then grabbing something easy for a snack. I didn't get to check my BS after breakfast this morning, but checked it after our noon meal and it was 119 mg/dl. I hope it will be that good later when I check it 2hrs after snack of low carb ice cream (homemade). I had forgotten that we have to eat regularly and often... not skipping meals to keep BS stable. I think this is the reason my BS has not been stable since I got back on Atkins.

I do have another question for y'all. At the end of this month we going to see DH son in IN and will spend 3 or 4 days there. They don't eat regular and when they eat it is VERY carby... not Atkins friendly at all. I will be out of induction by then. I used to just go all day without eating and just eat when we went out to eat once a day. Of course with diabetes I can't do that. What I would like is some suggestions from y'all as to what I could take to eat that would be easy and quick and could even be shared with Grandchildren so I'm not just eating in front of them. I appreciate your help. I know there are Atkins bars and shakes, but I'm not sure I could do 3 or 4 days of that and I don't want to lose the ground I've gained with Induction.
They could stall any weight loss and might not help the BS readings either. I thought of getting the frozen South Beach Quiche for breakfast. Do you think that is Atkins friendly by then?

Thanks for your help.

fatmad
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Trish, I am so glad you are feeling better and seeing good numbers with the smaller, more frequent meals. For travelling, I would think old cheddar on cucumber slices. In fact, I would bring a few things, like cream cheese, sliced meats, hard cooked eggs, mayo etc. to put in their fridge, saying you have special dietary needs, and don't expect them to change their lifestyle just for you, but you have to do this for medical reasons. I did this while with my relatives in quebec in the summer, and they were very understanding and I did great and had a lovely visit, or rather several visits.
am in Edmonton now, lovely weather, and went walking in the city centre for supper and found a love restaurant (blue plate ). Conference started off well, so should be a good time. But the food was tricky. I was able to have a fine breakfast at the airport, a cheese omelet, didn't have any homefries or toast with it. But then a long time until lunch, with the time change didn't realize it was over 6 hours, and it was only 10 am my time, (noon here) so I wanted breakfast again, and had another omelet. LOL it was great. THen 5.5 hours to supper. I did find a bit of cream cheese to snack on in between, so that helped. Had a large meal, am a bit full. They substituted curried chick peas for rice with my tandoori salmon, so maybe a bit more carbs than I am used to, but such healthy and delicious carbs, and chick peas have a lot of fat, so I hope not to spike or go out of ketosis.
Reading all the posts, but no time to comment except to send love to everyone, I love to hear how things are going.
ttfn

pattygirl63
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Madeleine Thanks for the advice. Glad you are enjoying your trip. I've eaten omelets when I could get them when eating out. They make some really good ones that are usually low carb/Atkins friendly. You did a good job especially since you went so long in between meals.

theCandEs
10-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Trish, My kids like mozzerella sticks, and my oldest will eat cucumber slices. As far as the MIL situation goes, I try to do the best I can. I know I wouldn't like it if someone criticized my mom, so I try not to do that. There seems to be a lot of bad DsIL. I hope my children use better judgment than my brother did.

Fatmad, have a nice time at your conference. Salmon sounds good. I may have to make some today! lol

want2bfit4me
10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Why oh why do I go off my healthy eating plan. I know it's not good for me.

No or very low carbs for the past 2 days. Did a 3 mile boot camp work out 3 days this week and I am down 3 lbs. Of course that was 3 lbs that I had gained while eating crappy.

Also fasting blood sugar was 90 yesterday and 100 this morning.

If I ever get it and eat like I am supposed to and exercise regularly then I might actually get somewhere.

Sounds like I am not the only one who has ever had in law problems or problems with their kids. I am feeling better about it all and even considering doing thanksgiving.

Trish I agree with Madeline that it would help if you took along some easy to eat snacks and such. Maybe some fixins for salad and the kind of dressing you like. I had a hard time when I went to SIL house after the funeral. I did not eat like I should have. Also when we spent the weekend about a month ago with BIL & SIL. Next time I will take some things with me.

Madeline So glad you are enjoying your trip. Sounds like you are making healthy choices also. Have a good time..........

Lindyloo I too am having to do some better meal planning. It is so easy just to grap something rather than plan something that would be healthier.

theCandEs I don't do Atkins per say but I do a very low carb mostly from non starchy veggies. No bread, potatoes, crackers or chips. That is when I am following the plan. I have been eating a few pinto beans and need to check and see how they are affecting my sugars. They used to bring it up a bit.

Have a good day all
Leann

fatmad
10-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately, the conference organizers were not always good with choices, but today was much better. Am going out tonight with a friend for a good steak dinner, since we are in beef country, planning on local grown beef to enjoy.
I do feel a little discouraged, fbs was 6.4 yesterday and 6.0 today, higher than I would like. I am sure it reflects my difficulty sticking to plan, in that they are a bit high, and also reflect how well I have done in that they are not higher!
Up very early to go home in the morning, looking forward to time at home and with family. Have a good weekend everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all, but especially Canadians who are celebrating on the weekend.

pattygirl63
10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the food ideas for my trip later this month.

Madeleine Sorry the choices haven't been great and the FBG is up, but I think you did good considering. Have a safe trip home.

Leanne Glad you are back on track and you BG is back down.

Everybody have a great weekend and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.

Ruthxxx
10-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi "Sweeties". I'm on my way home. BGL has been miraculously under control but I don't intend to face the scale until Monday morning.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian chicks!

want2bfit4me
10-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Wishing all my Canadian chicks a Wonderful Thanksgiving................

Fasting sugar was 103 this morning and that was after having a senior fish plate last night. Oh but it was so good.

Back to the grind again today. Had my good breakfast after a long talk with my sister in Nebraska. We try to talk every weekend and usually spend about an hour on the phone.

Just finished a 2 mile Hi Calorie Walk with my Leslie Sansone dvd. All sweaty now but it feels so good to exercise.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather where they are. It has been back in the 80's this week and has been just beautiful. I have even opened the windows to air the house out a bit before shutting her down for winter.

Have a good day
Leann

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEKEND to all our Canadian friends here ... hope you have a great one. I picked up a couple of lean prime rib roasts; we may have one of those on Monday, I think ... well, that's the plan.

HI RUTH ~ nice to have you back with us soon; good for you keeping the BSL's in check ... :cheer2:

Don't feel too bad ladies; I had a maintenance day today too. I seemed to have the munchies today. Not big amounts or really bad choices, just too many little amounts that all add up; but counting this as our optional day as we didn't do fun Friday yesterday. It will all work out over the week. :)

We had glorious :sunny: all day today! The nights are getting down into the high thirties though (a bit frosty last night). Got some walking in today; and picked up a few groceries as well. Have a wonderful weekend everyone ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
10-09-2010, 09:52 PM
hopped on the scale when I got home this afternoon, at least no weight gain!.
HOwever, I just put the pumpkin cheesecake in the oven for dessert tomorrow with Thanksgiving dinner. DD and her partner are hosting and doing the rest of my cooking. HIs Dad and brother, my Dad, and my other dd and dh round us out to 8. My sister and her family are not coming, (no surprise, as those of us who have family problems go, ours are not bad, but they sure don't enjoy family gathering the way the rest of us do.)
In fact, one of the things I like about my son-in-love is his caring for his Dad and brother, I think it speak well of how he will care about my daughter in the long run.
anyhow, I will want to hear about your adventures RUth, and hope everyone in Canada has a good Thanksgiving, whatever form it takes in your house and with your family.

Ruthxxx
10-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Early good morning! I'm still jet lagged and have been up and wide-awake since 3.

I shopped at a farmers' market on the way home yesterday and am all set for veggies for the week. Today I'll make a chick-pea and greens soup. I also need to figure out how to incorporate more pasta into my plan without messing with my BGL. It may have to be my only "flour" for the day. Toast vs. pasta? No contest!

Interesting happening yesterday. I had to go down to the Post Office for the mail and automatically set out on foot, rather than taking the car. I guess I'm on the walking habit.

No big Thanksgiving Dinner today as I am working at the Mill. The big event will be next Saturday when my Montreal cousins come for a visit. Today is a normal day.

fatmad
10-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Ruth, I think pasta may be doable for you if you use good portion control. Are you gonna get into homemade pasta? I think ensuring there are eggs in it would help too, would lower the glycemic index a bit. And of course, the walking helps your bg too. Good habits to get into, walking to get the mail.
Have a nice weekend, as you get back into Canada time.

Yes indeed, the scale is happy with me, no extra weight from my time away. Aside from not being sidetracked and needing to "re-lose" the weight, this means I can go away, and that watching my plan works, makes me think maintenance is possible, and I don't have to give in and eat what others push me towards, its worth it to stick to plan!
Feeling pretty good about myself today.

pattygirl63
10-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING CANADA CHICKIES

Welcome backRuth. Good to have you back. That's great that you BG stayed down. I used to love walking. I think I'm going to get back to that myself as I get to feeling better each day. I love pasta. I found a little pamphlet the doc gave me on low carbing and it says 1/3 c cooked pasta is a serving. I told DH that I don't think 1/3 c would be enough to make me happy. I think pasta is one of those things I have to stay away from most of the time. I think it is great that you can eat it.

fatmad Congratulations on no weight gain while at the conference. You did a great job.

Everyone else:wave: Have a great Sunday!!!

theCandEs
10-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Canada Chicks!

I'm not in Canada, but I am planning to do Thanksgiving at my house this year. I guess I will try to make the pumpkin cheesecake. That sounds really good.

We have tomorrow off for Columbus Day. Woo Hoo! I get to sleep in!

I've been putting my food into Fitday, and I've been unknowingly eating a lot of fat. My percentage was really high. I suppose that is okay since I'm not eating a lot of carbs, right? I get worried about these things. I'm not on Atkins, having never read the book, but it seems like I'm unknowingly doing Atkins just by eliminating the starchy stuff.

Hope everyone has a great Monday, whatever you are doing.

Ruthxxx
10-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Well, Chickies, the scale and I met this morning and I gained only one measly pound while away. This has to be a record for me!

I realized when getting breakfast that I've not had a single egg while away. Of course I instantly wanted one. :shrug: It'll go on my list for today. I'm thinking a chick pea soup with greens in it and a small green salad for lunch and will crank up the new wee BBQ to do pork tenderloin for dinner with green beans and some acorn squash. I'm anxious to get back into routine and cook in my own kitchen. (Note to Self: Check out fat content in chick peas.)

Happy October Monday! Try to spend some time outside - it's a long winter.

Added: cup of chick peas has only one gram of fat

fatmad
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Isn't that funny ruth, I always thought chick peas were high in fat! one of my meals when away was indian food, and they happy substituted rice with a chick pea curry. I thought I was getting extra fat that way! oh well, I did get extra gas!
CandE: that is the trickier part of atkins, I think, is that it is meant to be high fat. YOu cannot safely do low carb+low fat together. So low carb and up the fats, but as you raise the carb level later, reducing fat to some extent is usually needed, and in the meantime you get used to the higher fat content of the diet. I don't think anything of putting butter on cooked veggies, or lots of olive oil dressing on my salad.
But as long as you are losing and over all eating a healthful diet, you are fine. IMagine, losing weight without explicit instructions! LOL
I did well yesterday, pc bg was 4.9 after a delicious supper, but fasting was 6.4 reflecting the cheats and general overeating.
The pumpkin cheesecake was good. I am not sure if I did it right, couldn't figure out the ounces of pumpkin to the size of can etc and I cooked my own, so added an extra egg to ensure it all set. Was just fine that way.
Its perfect weather here this long weekend, going to go for a trail walk now.

want2bfit4me
10-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Good Morning Ladies..............

Today starts a new week and I am looking forward to some much needed rain here in our area. It is so dry. DH and I took a drive yesterday and the trees are changing and so beautiful. He stopped so that I could get my yearly taste of persimmon. The ones on the ground were ripe but the ones he shook from the tree were a bit hard so I did not try any of those. The leaves on the ground just crunched as we walked.

Had my healthy breakfast and just did my workout. So at least I have started the day out good. Splurged and had an apple last night and it was so good. I don't do much fruit and need to start adding a bit in.

Anyway had a great Monday

Leann

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Well, I changed my mind and made CHICKEN & RIBLETS with BBQ sauce for our Thanksgiving dinner; along with baked new potatoes & veggies: baby carrots, knib corn, cauliflower & broccoli (more heavy on the latter two). And the leftovers are in the oven right now and smell great ... ;)

:thanks1:HAPPY THANKSGIVING!:thanks1:

:turkey: :thanks2::turkey:

No turkey at our house; decided to save it for later as there was only two of us this year. Did get to talk to family this weekend though; that's what is great about the phone, you can visit even when you are hundreds of miles away from each other ...

We had a little ***** this AM but it melted before it touched the ground :lol: and it is nice and :sunny: out there now. Time to go have an early dinner now; have a great week ... Rosebud :flow2:

BTW, do those turkeys seem a little hyper to you, or is it me? :lol:

memoree
10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
your thanksgiving dinner sounds delicious and I don't even wanna see the "snow" word! Ugh I hate that stuff and it's coming soon here too and it won't leave for a long time! I love the :sunny:

theCandEs
10-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Fatmad, thanks for the advice. I'm hoping that as I lose weight, I will be able to eat more carbs. Right now I'm keeping it very low.

Ruth, I eat eggs every day. We have our own chickens, too. :)

Leann, I know! I had 1/2 an apple yesterday, and it was so good. I will have to work fruit in more. I'm trying to keep the carbs low, though.

Rosebud, I can't believe it's Thanksgiving for you. It makes me worried about Thanksgiving for my family. I am hosting, so it should make things a bit easier to control, but I love pie! I will make a pumpkin cheesecake soon, just to see how it is.

memoree, we don't get too much snow here, but I wish it would cool off. 84 degrees here today, and it's supposed to be that way tomorrow, too.

I lost another pound! I'm always surprised when it happens. I know I shouldn't be, but it just feels like I'm eating a lot. I guess really I'm not because I've cut out the carbs. All that sugar and flour packs a punch. LOL

My boys have another day off of school tomorrow. Today we broke out the science kit and went to town. It was a big hit. Not sure what we will do tomorrow.

Night, all!

Ruthxxx
10-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Quick fly-by this morning but had to pop in to say that my Italian pound is gone along with another one. I may make it to the 180s before my next trip - Nanaimo, B.C. in mid-November.

Just renewed my gym member ship and will be getting back to the MTW 7:30 routine starting tomorrow. Exercising is definitely the key to my knee functioning. I managed all the walking just fine with pain only first thing in the morning when I first got up.

Chick pea soup with garlic, olive oil and rosemary is on the menu for lunch today. This gorgeous cooler weather has me in comfort food mode.

Enjoy your day and do something nice for yourself today.

fatmad
10-12-2010, 07:44 AM
I have an office day, so have to be sure to fit in exercise after work and before I take my daughter to the math tutor. Lots of homework to get ready for tomorrow's meeting too. Also thinking of going to the chiropractor again, and maybe make a docs appointment. Having more bone and joint and back pain than ever in my life. Maybe its just normal aging, but isn't normal for me, and have realized that there have been few days since late July that I haven't complained about a pain somewhere and that seems odd.
Got rid of one of the pounds I was holding onto from Sunday so think it will ease off today. packing my lunch for the day.
have a good one chickies, Ruth, you too can get to 180s, if I can dip below 170 after so long trying, I have great faith in you. Especially with all the walking you are back to.

memoree
10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Just got back from the doctors office. Now I'm at home with my 3 yr old. She has pink eye in both eyes so I'm missing work (not paid so that stinks!)
she goes to daycare ONE day a week. Last week I seen the sign up that there had been a child with pink eye. I was hoping everything had been sanitized prior to her arriving...anyways she caught it...so now we're both home today because she is contagious. I hope no one else gets it here.

Congrats to those who are losing! I hope to be joining you this week :)

pattygirl63
10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
A quick flyby to say hello and I'm still here. Looks like everyone is busy. DH seems to want more attention lately which is nice but different. I think he must be feeling better than he even realizes.

I've added some fruit and more fiber foods into my diet so not really Atkins. Of course FBS has been up a little but coming back down. Using Calorie Counting site to keep up with calories etc and it showed I was doing good in a lot of places, but it says too low carbs. So I felt good about things because I'm still doing low carb, just not as low as Atkins. This seems to be giving me a little more energy. I think getting regular with exercise is where I have to work now so am trying to get back to that, but not doing it as much as I should.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Lindyloo
10-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Good afternoon:)

Been busy around here lately and I've had no time to check in.

Welcome back Ruth. Sounds like you did really well. Everyone else seemed to be doing fine as well.

I'm starting a new exercise program in the morning. Sponsored by our Alberta Health. 3 hours x 3 days a week x 12 weeks. Please pray for me.;)

On another note, my DH has been feeling kind of dizzy and out of sorts for the last while. He is one of these people that can eat anything at any time of the day, and doesn't gain a lb. He sometimes goes all day without eating and this is when he start feeling badly. Anyway, it sounded like low blood sugar to me so I started checking his blood. His fasting has been between 7 - 8 and 2 hrs after meals has been around 10.3 - 10.8. I've made a doctors appt for him for next week. Maybe I'm just being over cautious or maybe not, the readings just seemed awfully high to me.

Anyone's thoughts on that?

Have a great day everyone.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
MEMOREE ~ get your little girl to wash her hands meticulously by making a game of it; plus don't share towels or face cloths, and wash all her linens and clothes separately in hot or lukewarm water with extra soap. You can disinfect anything she touches with hot, soapy water with a little Javex bleach in it. :hug:

CANDES ~ make lots of veggies along with your meal and a nice salad too; that's what I do. I fill up on the salad, veggies, and meat; and just have a little of the rest (the pumpkin cheesecake sounds like a good idea). I am very fond of pumpkin custard, but may try the cheesecake with some Splenda sometime too.

LINDYLOO ~ not eating all day can raise your BSL's; that happened to my sister, so her doctor got her to start having breakfast, and they started to come down again. Will pray for you -- what will you be doing for 3 hours a day???

CONGRATS RUTH ~ I knew you would keep things under control ... ;)

Nice and :sunny: here today; they are predicting another lovely fall week for us -- yeah! Hope you all have a good one too ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
10-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm going back to Induction for at least a week. I haven't added that many carbs, but I am absolutely miserable today. I know I had a extra busy day, but I honestly believe it is the extra carbs that has caused me to feel so sluggish. We leave on our trip a week from this Friday and not sure how I will be able to do this on the trip, but DH said for me to just do the best I can on the trip and not to worry if I can't do it all.

Too tired for individuals, I'll do that tomorrow. Just wanted to make the commitment.

Ruthxxx
10-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Good morning. I could swear I posted in here yesterday but maybe it was a brain fart!

Weight is now 192.8 and would have been down a bit more if I hadn't indulged in both French bread and pasta for dinner last night. :nono: FBGL is up a bit from my usual but no real problem. I need to find a happy balance of carbs because yesterdays FBGL was 2.7 :yikes: after just meat and green beans for dinner. I'm old enough to know better, right?

My cold is now at the coughing stage but I'm doing fine. I did sleep until 6:30 this morning which seemed to help.

On with the day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
:wave: You know, I think that sometimes we all try to be too perfect -- then, if we don't live up to those high expectations, we dump on ourselves. We need to look at what we are doing right; and what we are doing well -- and pat ourselves on the back for those accomplishments, however large or small.

RUTH ~ well, lean meat & green beans is a bit lean for you; so all you need to do is a add in a small serving of some kind of healthy hardy carb with that meal; maybe a little brown rice or barley, or a nice mixed cabbage slaw. Maybe pasta & french bread was a bit much, but maybe just the pasta alone would be OK. We had wg spagettini (measured) with mini-meatballs with lotsa veggies in the sauce (mushroom, zucchini, green peppers, onions) last night. I had a baby cucumber salad on the side as well; boy was I full or what? On pasta day, I have less grain carbs for BF & lunch, so I can have the pasta with my dinner.

TRISH ~ maybe you added back in too many. My body needs some grain carbs, or I start to feel dizzy and light-headed, even nauseated & weak. As long as I keep them balanced and in small portions, I am fine. I know that I am blessed and that others may not have the same experience; but eventually, you will find out how many you can tolerate and still feel well.

Today was my BD, so we went out for lunch, but I will still be under my maintenance cap for the day; and maybe even under. Have to remember that this is only once a year. I just chose KFC; nothing fancy as we don't go there much anymore and I just had a hankering for that chicken. :lol:

Afterward, we went for a nice long walk to counter any extra calories; I had planned this ahead of time to wear some of that lunch off. Now, we will have a very small, light dinner tonight to finish the day.

We had lovely :sunny: all day long; what a nice little extra gift that was for my BD. I have been drinking more green tea lately and have found that it is easier on my tummy than the regular black stuff. I am becoming a big fan; and I picked up a sample of pomegranate green tea just to try it out.

Hope you are all having a lovely fall week ... Rosebud :flow2:

fatmad
10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Trish, good for you making the committment. I will go there with you. Have been good today, on plan, and while I didn't do a lot of "exercise" formally, I stacked our winter firewood with my husband. Lots of lifting and carrying. I used really careful body mechanics and didn't lift much at a time, trying to take care of my back. Had a long day yesterday with lots of driving, which seems to be the worst thing for it, but used my husband's car and my obusforme seat cushion, and so far, so good.
Hubby gone for the weekend. Just me and my dog and occasionally, the teenage daughter.

pattygirl63
10-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry another flyby. I intended to do individtuals today, but I am having trouble with my stomach tonight almost nauseous at times. Will try to do it and catch up tomorrow. I made Heroin wings and I think the oregano was too much for me.

Rosebud HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope it was a good one. I think I will eventually add low carb friendly fruit. Not sure about the grains. We will see. My FBS was down a little more this morning, but not back down to where it is supposed to be.

Fatmad Glad to have the company on Induction. I've been good, but not feeling well. Besides the oregano making me sick, I think I'm experiencing a little bit of the things we get going off carbs... tired and weak... very sleepy today. Have no energy. Be glad when this passes. But I hate that bloated feeling I had yesterday from too many carbs more. So I have the incentive to continue the Induction regardless of how it makes me feel.

I'm going to get off this cp and catch you guys tomorrow.

fatmad
10-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I am having a terrible, horrible, no-good very bad day. Some of it is my own fault. Had a big argument with my teenaged (18) daughter. She's a bit old for me to say she ran away from home, but she is staying with friends for the weekend.
My husband is away. Poor guy, he feels like he is in the middle of things when she and I fight, and this happening within an hour of his leaving is bad.
I may have flown off the handle more easily due to low blood sugar, I am adhering absolutely to induction.
Maybe some of you have been through this before. I am feeling like she is an ungrateful brat. she sucks me dry, and spits in my face.
WIth anyone else, she is wonderful. She is supportive and attentive and caring. She is smart and funny.
I am trying to remember when she last asked about my day, and she has never tried to learn about pre-diabetes, my diet, or anything.
THis is probably typical behaviour, but I am taking it very personally, and I'm aching inside.
There, rant over. I will not binge, I will not binge, I will not binge. Going to eat some celery now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
TRISH ~ THANKS, and good idea; start with the low carb berries and see how it goes from there ... since some people have a hard time doing the induction long term, why not just cycle it now and then? Every other day; or would that cause a BS problem?

MADELEINE ~ you will not binge ~~ YOU WILL NOT BINGE ~~ YO U -- W I L L -- N O T -- B I N G E !!!:lol:

We had two busy days shopping and errands; so got lots of extra walking in this week, and some sore feet to go with that. Stayed home today and just did laundry and the daily house stuff here. We had lovely :sunny: for the last few days ... and hoping for some more next week too.

Have a wonderful weekend, ladies & gents .... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
This past week has been a struggle for me. I'm just not making it very well. FBG hasn't been great either. I have good days with it and bad. Didn't eat a lot of anything yesterday but tried to stay very low carb and BS was 138 this morning. I'm thinking it is knowing I have to deal with this trip the end of this next week. I'm really dreading it. However, I am even more convinced that I have to get this all under control. I'm wondering if I've been dealing with denial or just fighting the idea of it. Rosebud, I think you might be right about me adding too much carbs too fast.

I've decided that I have got to get serious and think of some healthy foods to take with me on the trip. I'm going to look at some of the tuna products and maybe take some of them.

fatmad I sure hope things work out with you DD. I went through so much with mine, but things did get better over time. Somewhere along the way they learn how important Mama is to them.

Leanne, Ruth, CandEs, Lindyloo and everyone else:wave:

Y'all have a great Sunday afternoon and evening.

theCandEs
10-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey, everyone!! Will be back later! Just wanted to say hi! :wave:

fatmad
10-17-2010, 10:48 PM
I did not binge, but actually got more strict with induction. I am finally back to ketosis, so I hope that will help.
I will be arranging for family counselling with DD and me and DH, he is very torn up. I am more worried for him than myself or DD. Emotional stress like this really destroys him. Frankly, we have to find a way to manage life in the same house just for another 10 months, then she will be gone to university.
She's 18 acting much younger at times, others like a real person. Still volatile. I am at times too and she really knows how to push my buttons. and chooses to push them and keep pushing until I lose my temper.
I guess I shouldn't take it personally, but she says really hurtful things when she is angry. this is gonna be tough, and ongoing for a while.

trish, just stay low carb and don't sweat perfection for this trip. It will be ok.
I have to stay very low on the carb ladder to get anywhere, maybe this won't always be so, but it is frustrating not to be able to add in healthy carbs and go up the ladder yet.

ttfn everyone.

Ruthxxx
10-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Mad, I went through the same thing with my daughter and it was pretty horrible. However, we are good friends now. Hang in there.

I still have the dregs of the cold I brought home from Italy so am not going back to the gym this morning although I probably should. Weight is stuck again after a fairly indulgent weekend. Fruits and veggies will be pushed this week.

Wishing everyone a good week.

want2bfit4me
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone..........

I have not been around the past few days as I have had my granddaughter with me for the past 3 days. I really enjoyed having her here but was glad when it was time for her to go home.

Why is it that I can't keep it together making healthy food choices and keeping up with the exercise if something new is put into the picture. I made poor choices and did not exercise the whole time she was here. I gained back 3lbs that I had lost. This is something I need to work on as it really throws be back and makes all the hard work I've done seem like it was for nothing.

I did exercise this morning and so far have made healthy food choices.

Sorry that I'm not going to comment on each individual today but know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I am waiting on a call from the Unemployment Security Office between 1pm and 3:30pm today. They had already sent me something in the mail after I filed for unemployment asking me to explain why I quit my job and I sent them back a page and a half explanation and now they are going to be asking more questions. I don't have clue as to what to expect. Will just have to see and just be a honest and truthful as I know how.

Anyways have a great day

Leann

fatmad
10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Leann, I hear you. Its so easy to let things slip when there is a change in routine. Maybe that why I am getting so strict now, I am afraid that anything I do differently will just mess me up worse. So the routine is whats helping me weather the storm.
Update, we are speaking civilly today, but aren't chatty or anything.
I didn't call the counsellor this morning, as my co-worker called in very sick and I had to take over for her for a while. So thats on for tomorrow.
also, am not feeling very well today, physically that is, but wouldn't be surprised if that is a result of the emotional stress I have been going through.
thank you everyone for your supportive words and encouragement.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
:wave: Well, we started out with ***** but that melted and then the :sunny: came out for the rest of the day ... yeah! Just had a quiet weekend at home and read a great historical romance too. I seemed to be hungry this weekend and really had to watch the munching; but I made a nice roast chicken dinner tonight with lots of roasted veggies. That always makes me feel better ... :D

RUTH ~ hope you get over your cold really fast ...:hug:

Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up; just keep on, keepin' on ladies; and it will all work out in the end ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
10-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Ruth Hope you get over the cold and feel better soon.

Leanne I know exactly how you feel. I've gained 2 lbs back that I had lost too. I've been thrown by this stupid trip we are making. However, I am counting calories taking it easy and believe it will work out okay. Good luck with the interview with the Unemployment Sec Office.

As I said, I decided that my eating was so wild and my FBS was going up so I'm just counting calories right now and staying more whole foods style of eating. Interesting thing is that the FBS was 135 mg/dl this morning and 2 hrs after our main meal which was a good "balanced" meal my BG was 110 mg/dl. So maybe this is the way for me to go. I will do this throughout the next week till we get back from our trip and re-evaluate things when I see the results. I will take my materials and continue to check FBG each morning. Keeping my calories under 1500 daily.

Will try to check in once a day. Next 3 days are very busy as we get ready to leave Friday morning.

Have good evening.

Ruthxxx
10-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Good morning. It seems I've not been checking in regularly.

Weight's about the same and BGL has been good. It was a bit high this morning but that's because of bean soup and crackers for a late supper last night. I has back-to-back meetings and did not feel like eating supper at 4 PM! The food at meeting one was pumpkin cake and ice cream. I passed! I should have taken along an apple and some cheese for my drive to the next meeting.

I don't seem to be getting smarter as I get older. :shrug:

Today is Good Food Box day which I have to work but do hope to get some outside work done after that.

My cold is slowly leaving and I'll probably try for a gym session tomorrow. I need to get motivated again. Maybe another trip?

fatmad
10-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Ruth tell us whats in your good food box? A friend of mine down here is starting up a winter version for the organic crowd around here, and I am tempted. They also do co-op orders, and although there is little I can eat, (too high carb) I can support them with the food box.

Things are a bit more tolerable. DD and I had a dentist appt which involved me picking her up from school and driving into town, then back home afterward. We didn't speak much in the car, but it was civil.
DH called the counselling centre yesterday, but no word back, so I will call later again. Phew, I am very emotional, and cry about all kinds of things at the drop of a hat. I have to discharge a client who had a miscarriage last month, and it hit her really hard. Everytime I see her she is suffering and crying. My heart goes out to her. SO this will be a very emotional final visit with her, and I don't know how I will keep my professional demeaner.
At least it will be ok to cry with her. We have gotten quite close over this as I am the only midwife in the practice she knows now, the 2 others she knew have both left. So I am going to a walk in the sunshine to get myself ready for all this.
have a good day everyone,

Ruthxxx
10-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Mad, it depends on what the wholesaler or local growers send us. It comes in large quantities to the hall where we split it into packages for each site to distribute. There are $5 and $10 bags plus $15 boxes - really a bargain. I'll let you know later exactly what's in this week's order.

want2bfit4me
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Good morning girls..........

Just finished my exercising for the day. Had a good breakfast. Now if I could keep up the good eating habits the rest of the day. Last night all I did was eat and it was not good choices either. This is my week before TOM and I am always grazing during that time. Need to clean out the fridge of the carby stuff I had fixed for the granddaughter this weekend. I do so well until supper time then after that it seems to just go to pot. Any suggestions.

Update: The call from the Employment Security Office was nothing. But I was on edge until she called 20 min after she was supposed to.

Madeline I so feel for you and your daughter. I've been there and done that and eventually it will get better but it sure hurts when its going on. Stick with it.:hug:

Leann

pattygirl63
10-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I am going to miss y'all while on my trip. I hope I will be able to check in. I'm taking my laptop, but don't know if I'll get to be on it or not. Depends on what is going on. Grandkids do sports and may have games. I don't know if we are leaving to come back on Mon or Tues. I dont know if DIL is still in school. We usually like to have a day with just the parents while the grands are in school. So we will see. We plan to come back through Nashville and catch a couple of museums. Anyway, I'll check in when I can.

Ruth Glad you are feeling better.

Madeline I went through so much with my daughter. I let her come back home so many times when I shouldn't have. I know her Daddy got tired of it all. (He probably wouldn't have let her come back so many times, but I thought I had to. She had 3 children.) Finally at one point, I said "No, I can't do this any more". It was the best thing I ever did for her and me. It made her grow up. She did finally come back home one more time and it was great. She lived with us and stayed with me for quite some time after her Daddy passed away. I have always been so thankful that he lived to see her straighten out her life. She calls now and tells me how much she loves me and she often tells me how sorry she is that she put me through so much, but she is thankful for us loving her. Just remember that "love is the key". That is what my Mama always told me. You don't have to agree with the things they do to love them. I always told her and her brothers, I may not like what you do or say, but I always love you. Things will work out eventually. I am so sorry you are going through all this. It doesn't feel like it now, but there will be a day your daughter will appreciate you and you will be close friends. It happens.

Leann I am a night eater. I plan my meals out for the day and include snacks for the evening. It keeps me from having cravings and binges because it is just part of the daily plan. Keeps me within my calorie/carb limit for each day with no cheating. I've also found that planning a stirfy around 8ish helps keep my FBS low the next morning and satisfies me for the night.

Later

want2bfit4me
10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Trish for the advice. I have done much better today. One day at a time. I have to remember that. Also thanks for sharing your story of your daughter. It is nice to have that hope that it will eventually get better.

Madeline Boy did Trish give you some wonderful advice there. I need to remember it for my own daughter. Our relationship is definitely better than it was.

See ya tomorrow
Leann

pattygirl63
10-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Good Morning Ladies,
Fast flyby as getting ready to run out the door. :rain: in our forcast this morning and hoping I get to the church before it starts. Can't complain as we need it too badly.

Y'all have a great day.

Catch you later today.

fatmad
10-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone, today was a better day, of course, I hardly saw my kid. But I had a good working day, and the feedback from that was enough of an ego boost, to help me out of the funk I have been in, and that helps me feel like there is good ahead. I have an appointment next week with a counsellor, DH is going Tuesday, me on Wednesday. We are waiting to hear back from the counsellor (a different one) for DD.
I do love her, and she is overall a good person, but she sure knows how to push my buttons until I lose my temper. I don't get so upset with anyone else I know.

Well, off to bed. I think I had a few more carbs today, maybe a total of 20, since I went out for supper and my entree was mussels in a thick tomato sauce. I have not lost an ounce on very strict induction, so am getting a bit discouraged. Here is hoping for a woosh soon.

Ruthxxx
10-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Clucking in. BGL still OK and weight is stuck at 193. I know it will move someday. It took months to get into onederland.

We are cold here today with temps near freezing. Unfortunately I keep thinking comfort food which is carby. Meatloaf is scheduled for tonight - I make it with oatmeal and milk so it should be healthy. I'd thought of acorn squash but may switch to roasted cauliflower and broccoli.

Mad, my $5 Good Food order included: a large head of romaine, an English cucumber, a head of celery, a package of baby carrots and four large tomatoes that are ripening on my counter. It sure was worth more than five bucks!

fatmad
10-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Ruth, I too am stuck at my weight. Very frustrating. Anyone else here post-menopausal? I am not officially there, but close enough to official that I see it as a weight loss issue. (otherwise, not a problem at all!)
But I do think the age is related to our difficulties shifting the weight.
I am getting tempted to change WOE, but have invested so much time and energy learning the atkins way, that I feel that anything else will be very difficult. (was thinking lower fat, low glycemic carbs, calorie counting, and talking to my doc about increasing metformin to ensure I don't have too many problems with blood sugars)

pattygirl63
10-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Mad I'm in the post-menopausal time of life. I think it contributes to a lot of issues especially weight loss. I'm trying to stay low carb (not Atkins) and count the calories right now because of trip. I've decided if things don't change soon, I'm going back to doc (DH has an appt the week after we return from trip) and ask for a little more help. DH hasn't changed is woe much at all and his FBS was 84 this morning. He is on Glimepirin (not sure spelling is right). I like having the Metformin, but would like a little more help getting the numbers lower. I did read about a man whose wife made him eat balanced meals and he said that his BS finally leveled out so we will see. When I get back from triip, I might switch to Phase 2 of South Beach Diet mainly because I like the idea of having fruit. I think I could handle protein, fruit and veggies.

Ruth Can I come to your house? I need to come to your house of Rosebuds. Your menus and Rosebuds always sound so good. DH is so picky and I miss good cooking like I used to do.

We will leave in the morning. I've got just about everything packed except for last minute things. We are going to leave at 7 and take our time as kids won't be home until after 4:30. I plan to take pc, but don't know if I'll be able to be on line very much. I will try to check in when I can. If not I will catch y'all when I return next week. Will return either Tues or Wed. Not sure yet. It should be a nice :sunny: drive going and I look forward to seeing the fall leaves, but is supposed to be :rain: in IN from Saturday all the way through our trip back home. We are behind on our rain here so I really cannot complain about it.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-21-2010, 10:33 PM
TRISH ~ have a good trip! I like the advice you gave the ladies too; about your daughter: so agree with you on that. And about the night munchies; that is my issue too. I do so great all day and then battle the night munchies (that's what I call them). I like the idea about the little stir-fry in the evening: I think I will try that and see what happens.

RUTH ~ that veggie box sounds great; good prices for sure.

Today, I made some nice homemade tomato sauce with lotsa meat in my crockpot for tomorrow night's dinner; it smelled yummy. I had baked chicken fingers & sweet potato fries (DH had fish) plus a broccoli/cuke coleslaw for dinner tonight.

We have had very low temps and ***** the last 3 nights/days ... while it has been pretty, the cold is chilling ... :brr: They are forecasting for some :sunny: for the weekend -- oh, I so hope they are right.

ttyl, Rosebud :flow2:

Ruthxxx
10-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Gorgeous moon this morning but it sure is cold. I have major guilt over the house plants that are still out on the porch. :( I may have to replace them after Christmas.

My BGL survived the meatloaf last night although I did have squash with it. Of course the weight blipped up a pound. :shrug: Today will be a lower carb day.

fatmad
10-23-2010, 08:18 AM
emotions are a little less fraught at my place. went to DD convocation from high school. Gave her a card with a long loving note, and the ring my grandmother gave me for high school grad.
We had some nice words and hugs. And then the thing happened, that seems all too common around these celebration times. some young people from her class were driving and crashed the car, an old boyfriend of hers has died.
I know my husband and I both had a lot of high school classmates die around these times too, and every fall there seems to be a senseless loss of life.
anyhow, the good new for us is that DD came home to grieve with us nearby, (and we a grateful her current boyfriend is not a big drinker and was not drinking and driving at all, its zero tolerance here, and his mothers' minivan is not meant for drag racing). So some healing has begun on that front.
Counselling is booked next week.

Have been sticking to plan, getting some feedback from the atkins thread about tweaking the diet to lose a bit more.
I anycase, feeling a bit better and more hopeful. Its nice to have a place to vent. thanks everyone.

And rosebud, we sure had a lot of s**w here the other night, way do southern ontario way. over an inch and it stayed over night. I am getting my s**w tires on Thursday.

Ruthxxx
10-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Been carbing a bit too much so BGL is up a tad - as is weight.:( Meatloaf sandwiches are not a good idea. I am geared up to go back to the gym tomorrow morning - my workout clothes are on the couch in the bathroom, ready to be put on right after my shower. I have a really busy week ahead but this has to take priority!

fatmad
10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
So, had a car accident yesterday, rear-ended someone in terrible stop and go traffic, in the rain. Was charged as well.
I didn't get to the musical theatre that night, but did go to see the Dalai Lama today. It was lovely and wonderful and meditative. SO, hoping that the accident was the 3rd thing, and that I have finished with crummy stuff and today was a fresh start, physically, mentally and spiritually.

Stuck to plan except the food offerings during the ceremonies, (rice and medicine balls are very starchy, so I only had a bit).

We are supposed to have a lot of rain in the next while, so will have to make sure I exercise no matter what. have a good week chickies.

Ruthxxx
10-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Mad, so sorry about the accident but am glad it wasn't too serious. Let's hope it was the third thing and your luck will change immediately.

I've not been eating properly lately. This weather seems to make me feel I need carbs and FBGL has been running a bit high for me. My darn cold has come back a bit too which isn't helping. I fully intended to go to the gym this morning but my body is saying no. She and I have had a good talk and have negotiated treadmill here at home. I find it really hard to get enthused about going out at 7:15 when it's wet, dark and cold. If I go later in the morning the gym bunnies are there and it's too crowded.

Excuses! Excuses! I need a brain transplant.

Lindyloo
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Good Morning ladies!!

Had some computer problems so I wasn't able to check in. E-mail crashed and I lost everything. Then I had to do a recovery and I thought I had backed up my files. When I went to instal them again there was nothing there:dizzy:

I was supposed to go to exercises this morning but I'm not feel well enough. Having problems there as well. My BS has been dropping into the low 4's after exercise and i'ts scary.

DH had his A1C done yesterday and we have to wait until friday to find out the results. Doctor said it could be insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, or diabetes, but would have to see the reading before he can diagnose.

Have a great day all.

fatmad
10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
My optimism is back today. It was a long busy day. But I got my rental care, got through some stuff with insurers, and my daughter is speaking to me. My problems are not so big I can't cope with them.
One shock, I had a client recently who had gestational diabetes with no risk factors other than age, (35 and pregnant) and she did really well with control during the pregnancy. She went for her gtt at 6 weeks, and her two hour post 75 g load was 9.1 what a surprise. She is thin, and active, and has no family history of diabetes. she is also breastfeeding which usually helps.
(but she is a sugar and candy addict) I was just so surprised. SO spent lots of time going over her options and sent her back to her family doctor and diabetic educator and nutritionist.
sigh, this disease just sneaks up on people.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
:wave: Well, we had :sunny: for the weekend like they promised and that full moon was lovely for sure; so the snow had melted away. Today, we awoke to :rain:, fog, and chilly weather on and off. We have to have the furnace on these days as wet, damp, cold just seems to go through yur bones.

We did our civic duty and voted today (for our municipal gov); and got to see our new arena complex -- oh, it is lovely. There were quite a few people swimming in the pool I noticed; what brave folks with all those windows for people to watch through (oh, I just couldn't). I even rode in the special elevator there but had to find someone who knew the combination to make it open ... :lol: They don't want the kiddies playing in it so they have a special code they have to use.

RUTH ~ meatloaf is good; meatloaf sandwiches -- notsogood ... :lol: I would like it with some green beans & corn; and zippy coleslaw; I would have to forgo the mash, I guess but that is OK (have the corn instead). A little tomato sauce drizzled over is nice on meatloaf. My mom's recipe has some in it so that is nice already.

MADELEINE ~ sorry, about the accidents; prayers for that young fellas family & friends. Glad you weren't hurt and everything is working out OK for you. The snow has come early for your area; it may not stay though ... I always have a hard time adjusting to the wet, damp cold at the beginning of this season; when winter is here in full force, it changes to a dry cold which is much more bearable ...

LINDYLOO ~ maybe you need to have something before you go to the gym; heard someone here mention a spoon of peanut butter before going. Might help ...

We spend the last two afternoons putting up our Halloween decos; had a couple of people stop and say they were "LOOK'IN GOOD" -- that's always a nice reward for the work with frozen fingies. Won't tell you what they are forecasting but suffice to say, only one day of sunshine; so we'll make the best of that for sure.

Oh, BTW -- I appreciated all the advice you gave us pertaining to our neighbors; we had already asked nicely a few times. DH did go to the landlord & requested a limit of 11 pm for music & drums; and the landlord promised to talk to him and did. Well, seems providence has dealt with them. The young man got into a huge tiff with the landlord and was evicted. The young lady moved out last night & went her own way, it seems. DH was just told about it a couple of days ago and we are getting a single lady moving in; should be OK, we think.

Hope everyone has a good week coming up ... Rosebud :flow2:

sunnysand
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
fatmad...sorry to hear about your accident but glad you regained your optimism. I've been checking my sugars lately, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. My fasting BGL has been around 89-92. 2 hours PP breakfast was 97 after egg scramble: 2 eggs, salsa and 1/2 cup of kidney beans. After my mid-morning snack , 1 packet instant oatmeal with 1/2 cup skim milk, my 2 hour reading was 94. We'll see after lunch. I hope these numbers are okay. Seems like after my meals, my BGLs are in the 90-100 range. I see my doctor in about a week for another blood work up.

fatmad
10-26-2010, 08:27 PM
My numbers are staying good. fbs in the 5's and normals all day whenever I check. Still no weight loss. but no real gains. For now I will settle for that, have my first session (on my own) with the family therapist tomorrow. After that I go to Toronto for two days, so back to hotel living for two nights. I plan to use the hotel gym or go walking in the mornings and evenings as I will be in meetings all day. Gonna bring a few appropriate snacks too.

enjoying reading your posts everyone.

pattygirl63
10-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I didn't get online but once while on trip and not long enough to check on here. Our cell phone quit working sometime while in the mountains I'm guessing. We couldn't find out what was going on. Finally found an AT&T store and went in to see what was going on and the girl said that sometimes when you go into a place there's no service it kicks you off and you have to turn the phone off or take the battery out and put it back in and then the phone works. So didn't even have the cell phone until yesterday evening.

We got back home this afternoon. Had a good trip, but I'm wiped out. I actually didn't do too bad with the eating although I did have some carby days. Interesting thing is that I found that the days I was really busy and walked a whole lot, my FBS was good the next day. Even when it was up because of an especially carby day before, it didn't go as high as it would have if we hadn't been so busy. So I see that exercise is definitely going to have to be in the plan now that I'm home. I also learned that an evening salad did as good as the stirfry that I had at home. So that will give me a variety of 2 choices to help with the evening eating.

Ruth So sorry your cold has returned. Hope you can kick that thing out soon. It just makes things difficult. Meatloaf actually sounds good. I don't fix it much any more because I like it with veggies and DH doesn't. He just wants meat with gravy mix and to me that is not a meatloaf. Rosebud's sounds good to. I like it made with the tomato sauce and also like a brown gravy type just depends on my mood at the time.

Mad So sorry about the accidents. I am glad that your DD has turned to you and your DH for comfort during this time. I'll be praying for the family of the young man as it must be devistating for them. I don't know why but it seems that there is always some young person who dies in an accident or from a disease during senior year. I always remember the young girl who I went to school with whose fiance was killed in an accident our senior yr. Was a girl died of cancer the year before. Just so sad and hard for young people to deal with. It does sound like there is a healing process going on between you and your DD. I am so glad. Have a safe trip.

Lindyloo Glad you got pc going and back online. Hope you are feeling better today.

sunnysand Your BS looks good. I think your doc will be pleased.

Rosebud So glad things have worked out for you with the neighbors.

Have a great week everyone.

Ruthxxx
10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Sorry I don't get in here more regularly. Being a MOD and an ADMIN on this and on another website sure eats up my time.

Today I got my flu shot and also got my HA1C done. HA1C is still 6.4 as it was in June so I guess a somewhat erratic summer didn't do me too much harm.

I had pasta for lunch and it was absolutely delicious! All I did was mix in some olive and truffle paste that I got in Italy and add some parmesan. A glass of wine would have been lovely with it but I was off to do pet therapy at the clinic so I resisted. It'll be salad and an eggplant casserole for dinner tonight to cut down carbs.

pattygirl63
10-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Got up this morning and weighed. I'm up 2 lbs from my off diet eating while on trip. BS was awfully high for me and I'm sure that was all the carbs yesterday. Back OP today. Not doing Atkins, but counting calories eating mostly fruit, protein and veggies... eating more balanced so I can enjoy some of the foods that I like as long as the FBS goes back down to normal.
Also doing wash from trip plus some other things like blankets etc that have laid around and gotten dusty so they'll be ready for the cooler nights.

I roasted a chicken today so that I'll have chicken for stirfry's and salad after we have our 2 meals out of it. I love the ones in the store, but they usually have too much salt. So I used the season salt on it, cut up some onion and garlic and placed those inside the cavity and squeezed a lemon all over it and placed what was left of the lemon in the cavity as well. Made it nice and juicy and tasted great. So I will probably do my own from now on so I know what is in it. Have a chicken stirfry planned for around 8 to cover the night time cravings. So I'm set for today.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-27-2010, 07:48 PM
RUTH ~ MMM ... all these yummy recipes; have to try some as I love variety. What do you put in your eggplant casserole? We had pasta today too -- with some of that meat sauce I made in the crock pot (that I had put into containers in the freezer). We also had a bit of spagetti squash and green beans along with it; that fills me up so I eat less pasta. Green beans are one of my favorite sneaky fillers. There is enuff for another lunch or dinner leftover as well -- stretchin' 'er out ... :lol:

TRISH ~ I really like the sounds of that lemon chicken with seasoning; could do that one easily and will try it too. I have a couple of chickens in the freezer I picked up recently. Thanks for the ideas; here's the recipe for my mother's meatloaf which can be varied according to taste.

MOM'S MEATLOAF

1.5 lbs of lean hamburg (we buy xtra-lean)
1 x chopped onion
1 minced garlic or tsp powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 x large egg
1 tbl onion soup mix (optional)
1/2 cup bread crumbs, oatmeal, or oatbran
10 oz can tomato soup or sauce; divided

Combine everything with 1/2 of the tomato soup/sauce; and put into loaf pan or glass dish. Top with remaining sauce and bake at 375 F for about 1 hour. If you like a softer meatloaf (like my Dad does), add 1/2 cup water to the soup/sauce when mixing the meatloaf. I cover the meatloaf with foil and take it off the last 15 minutes of baking time.

PS ~ my brother makes his with a can of vegetable soup instead of tomato; and then puts ketchup or tomato sauce on top of it. They used to do this to sneak some veggies into their kid's meals. ;)

MADELEINE ~ have a great trip; that's wonderful that you can take advantage of the hotel's facilities while you are there -- that's a very nice perk you have there.

SUNNY ~ I agree with Trish; all those numbers are under 7.0 or 112, which are good numbers really. Keep up the good work.

Have a great week ladies ... Rosebud :flow2:

pattygirl63
10-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the meatloaf recipe, Rosebud. I think DH would like that and will definitely be making it soon.

theCandEs
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Rosebud, that is exactly the same recipe I grew up on. My mom made it just like that. I know it's really good, too.

Hey Trish and Madeleine and Sunny, :wave: I just can't get over here, either. We've been so incredibly busy, and it's not letting up any time soon.

I haven't been checking my BS lately because I have been consistently low carb. I haven't had anything really carby in a loooong time. I have been eating yogurt before bed, though. So anyway, I got up the morning and checked and it was 108!! :fr: I guess it's the yogurt? I don't know. :(

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a great Halloween weekend!

:haphal:

pattygirl63
10-29-2010, 12:43 AM
CandEs You are doing great. I didn't do well today. I started out good and screwed up later in the day when DH decided to go get fried chicken and I caved. I blew the rest of the day. Will be back OP tomorrow.

Hope everyone else has had a good day.

fatmad
10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
checking out of the hotel this morning, ack, my association is paying a fortune for me to be here. The advantage of being downtown in a big city, is the walking. I can walk everywhere. I walked to meetings, to supper with my daughter, to the drugstore etc. Its exercise without thinking about it. It has been great. In my younger years I lived downtown in a smaller city, and I remember walking everywhere. that is one part of life that has changed for the worse. I go for walks now, but I don't walk TO things.
On dr advice I upped the metformin in order to be able to eat more carbs while here without worrying about my bs. WOW, talk about side effects. I will not take two pills today! I didn't have much in the way of side effects with just one, so if I haven't been sympathetic, I take it back. I will be totally understanding of the difficulties of getting used to this med.
Going home this afternoon, hopefully before rush hour. Have a good weekend everyone.
madeleine

Ruthxxx
10-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Have not checked in much this week. Can you guess that it has not been a good one? I am off to visit my daughter in Nanaimo BC on Nov. 18 and need to get things in better control before then.

Onward! ... and maybe Downward!

pattygirl63
10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Ruth I sympathize with you. I have had a bad week myself. I have had a difficult time getting back OP. Been trying to keep from going back to Atkins Induction or any low carb eating at all, but I may have to. I thought it would be so easy to get back on low carbing when I got back from the trip, but it hasn't been. I am trying to count calories, but may have to go back to the low carb whether it is Atkins or someother lc plan. I will have to decide within a few days. If I have to go back to it, I will start back on low carb on the first.

I sure hope everyone else has had a better week than I have.

Have a great weekend!!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-29-2010, 09:51 PM
LADIES ~ I think that happens to all of us sometimes; I had a couple of good days in a row but may have not eaten the best choices today. Hopely, I am still under my maintenance amount though. I craved a bacon & tomato sandwich for dinner, so that is what I had; plus a few of DH's real fries. Got a lot of walking in today; we went to three stores and I purposely walked around all of them (the perimeter) to burn off more calories today as tonight was Friday Fun dinner night.

I have been trying to eat less bread but more fruit this week; had some pineapple chunks and apples. Bought some bananas for the weekend too. Onward and downward indeed ... keep on, keepin' on ladies, you can do it!!! :D

pattygirl63
10-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Rosebud That is what I've decided to do. I don't want to go as strict low carb as Induction, because I want the fruit. So I've decided I'm going to continue to count the calories, but eat very little bread/starchy carbs. I'll have my carbs from the fruit, veggies and dairy products. If I eat too strict low carb, it messes things up on those occasions when I may decide to have a starchy carb. Hopefully by making fruit, veggies and dairy carbs the occasional starcy type carb won't be a problem. So making the changes tomorrow.

I started my 30 minute exercise today as well. I did my Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk away the pounds and the did the rest of the time on stationary bike. I honestly believe the exercise is key to getting the weight and BS down.

theCandEs
10-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Trish. I've cut back on the yogurt to see if that was the problem. I think I might not be drinking enough water, so I increased that, too. I think I'm dehydrated. My hands are pruny even when I haven't been in the shower.

Trish and Rosebud, don't worry about occasional slip-ups. I know we can do this!

Ruthxxx
10-30-2010, 07:09 AM
** Sigh! ** I should not buy Halloween crud before 4:30 and October 31.

November has to be a better month. The scale is heading the wrong way.

Thanks for the reminder about the WATP tapes. I must dig mine out again.

Lindyloo
10-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree - Next year no candy until 4:30 Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 is the new start date.

DH birthday today, but that's no problem we never do the cake thing anymore.

Party time tonight, I have to behave myself:nono: Only one or (two at the most) glasses of wine and stay away from the goodies.:(

Have a good evening.

pattygirl63
10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I have sort of made my own woe plan today. I will keep my carbs around 45 g daily and calories between 1200 to 1400. I kept the fruit, veggies and lowfat dairy in my plan and of course the protein. I am not going to have starchy carbs in my plan.

Ruth & Lindyloo I think we have all gotten hung up on the Halloween candy thing. I did that last year too. We will get right back OP and we will do this.

To everyone reading this:wave:

Ruthxxx
10-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Patty, sounds like a good plan. I know I am eating too many carbs but also know I get very low readings if I cut back.

Now to survive the temptations of Halloween tonight. I'm hoping I have loads of kids so it's all gone by 7 PM.

November will be a good month, right?

pattygirl63
10-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Good Sunday Morning Everyone

I didn't want to go back to Atkins Induction, but FBS forces it. I will eventually work up to the woe that I planned yesterday, however, I believe for the next week or two I have to get back to basic Induction. The scale is moving downward, but the FBS is in the 130s. I may have still have too many carbs, or not getting enough rest, not enough exercise... who knows.
So I went back to Induction this morning. Maybe with the way I ate off for the trip was too much and I just need the Induction jump start. The weight seems to be coming off really good with the calorie count as I have only 1/2 lb to lose to be back down to where I was before the trip. It's my FBS is not co-operating with things and has been going up instead of down. Just can't have that.

Ruth Getting older does have its trials, doesn't it? And YES!!! November will be better.