Atkins - Induction not doing its thing!

View Full Version : Induction not doing its thing!

Zaftig Mama
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Okay, week 2 of induction and I am not getting that dramatic drop in weight I thought I would. I haven't dropped a pound since Friday!! What gives?

I haven't slipped once, no carbs to speak of. Anyone else ever have this?:(

Simona
09-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Yup...happens to me. I'll have a really good loss one week and then the next week - nothing. Week after that, a moderate loss, then a big one again. I've come to realize that my weight loss isn't going to be an even, steady thing. It's going to fluctuate week to week. As long as I'm not gaining, I'm happy.

ValRock
09-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Are you eating enough fat? What do you eat in a normal day?

JerseyGyrl
09-30-2010, 07:09 AM
I haven't slipped once, no carbs to speak of.

Would you mind posting a typical day's menu?

Zaftig Mama
09-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Let's see,

Usually 2-3 eggs for breakfast, usually hard boiled,
salad with some form of protein, salmon, eggs, turkey burger, etc for lunch
snack - pork rinds, bell peppers, hard boiled egg, etc.
protein and salad for dinner
usually some small snack, sugar free jello cup, more skins, peppers, etc.

ValRock
09-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Not enough fat. Get some butter, mayo... something in there!

I know it's counter intuitive but it's what ya gotta do!

Zaftig Mama
09-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Wow, I guess I have avoided them for so long in my failed attempts to lose weight that I just can't seem to put enough of them back in. I will add some this week and see how it goes. I would go shopping today but we are expecting a monsoon here in NY! I will try to "fatten" up! LOL

Thanks for the advice.

JerseyGyrl
09-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Let's see,

Usually 2-3 eggs for breakfast, usually hard boiled,
salad with some form of protein, salmon, eggs, turkey burger, etc for lunch
snack - pork rinds, bell peppers, hard boiled egg, etc.
protein and salad for dinner
usually some small snack, sugar free jello cup, more skins, peppers, etc.

Ok, here's my opinion....I agree with ValRock, add more fat. For instance, put some full fat mayo on those hard boiled eggs in the morning and add a few slices of bacon. Why not a real burger for lunch instead of a turkey burger? Make it a cheeseburger:) Dip your pork rinds & bell peppers in full fat ranch dressing....mmmmmmmmmm.
Personally, I think you could use more veggies. Induction is 20 net carbs per day with 12-15 coming from veggies on the acceptable foods list. And don't forget to add real butter to those veggies :)
With a few tweaks, you'll do just fine!
All the best to you!!:hug:

Simona
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
JerseyGyrl - you're the best!! :)

Zaftig Mama
09-30-2010, 05:11 PM
JerseyGyrl, thanks a million for such an informative response. I will definitely make those adjustments. I also eat broccoli and lots of pepper, plus at least 1/2 an avocado every day, forgot to mention that.

I will try to mix it up a bit. As for the real burgers, I don't particularly care for them, not much of a beef person really, I prefer turkey.

Okay, off to shop for some fattier foods, never thought I would say that!

Amarillo19
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I think you and I started at the same time. Today is Day 11 for me and I've only lost 5 1/2 lbs. I didn't expect much more because I'm older and I've read that being older will make for slower weight loss. As long as we're losing, and your loss is fine, that's all that matters. Yes, I want to wake up tomorrow and be 70 lbs lighter but I don't think it's going to happen.
I have found that I have to eat enough protein and fat. The weight seems to come off better if I do. This is totally opposite to what's always been preached but this is a totally different and effective way to lose weight.

fatmad
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I also lose weight really slowly, even on Atkins. I do better with very strict induction, but I just have never had any dramatic drops. two pounds a month in great in my books. I have to stick to non-scale victories, like keeping my blood glucose stable, NOT gaining weight, losing inches, (after 18 pounds I am finally down a dress size, bought some new clothes.) BUT, it all took a long time. From December to August. Since then I have been pretty stable, not losing anything, but I haven't been as strict. But I am not gaining, eating in a way I can sustain long term. I am going back on strict induction again tomorrow.
SO don't despair. Even if its not a fast loss, good eating will pay off in the long run.

sandyfanny
09-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I have never had the dramatic weight drop that Atkins chicks love, but I do lose slowly and sometimes give myself a stall, but I'm okay with that. It's a great way to eat, and I can't imagine better support than I've found here. So, eat, enjoy and lose! :dizzy:

Zaftig Mama
09-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks all! I will try not to get discouraged. I guess I heard some of the hype and hoped I would be one of those to drop tonnage quickly! LOL

Losing is better than gaining even if it is slower than expected.

Sandy I agree, in my short time here I have come to see how supportive a community it is.

Thanks all!!!:hug:

Zaftig Mama
10-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Okay, went shopping today, got the full fat mayo, some wings and yes I have some heroin wings in front of me as we speak, WOW!!!!!

I will let you ladies know if the adjustments work. That is of course if I ever stop eating these wings!!! LOL

sandyfanny
10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Way to go! Aren't those wings delicious? You see why I say start with 3 or 4 pounds - everybody loves 'em. Their name is so appropriate...I actually sometimes crave Heroin Wings!

Zaftig Mama
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
They were amazing!!! I felt like something zippy so I sprinkled in some cayenne pepper, wowza! So good!

I am a bit bummed though, not a pound this week and I NEVER cheated!! I so wanted to but I didn't and to top it all off, I have a rumbly in my tumbly and not in a good way! Not a happy camper tonight to be honest. If I can't get the scale moving this week, I'll have to try something else. I use the test strips, get a nice pink/purple color, but nothing dropping off, it is so frustrating!!!

sandyfanny
10-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Stick with your eating plan; drink your water; if you're eating cheese, try eliminating it or cutting the amount you eat in half; take a little walk every day if you're not already exercising; and BE PATIENT. Stay off the scales during the week if you're hopping on and off every two hours...that's all I got.

I've had a couple of weeks of losing nothing or even gaining a pound or five; then the next week, I have a nice loss. Three pounds is HUGE for me. I never had the big Induction loss, so I don't miss it. I'm grateful when I stay the same or lose. Hang in there, Mama; the weight WILL COME OFF. :hug:

Zaftig Mama
10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks Sandy! I really appreciate the words of encouragement. I will cut back on the cheese, didn't think I was eating that much but who knows, maybe just 1 serving a day or none at all if I'm not feeling it.

I will also stop the obsessive weighing, it isn't helping my mindset much that is for sure. I think I will weigh in on Fridays, see how the week goes.

My stick actually got a darker shade of pink/purple, not sure if that means anything at all, but I took it as a positive.

I feel better, I think my pants are fitting differently, but the scale isn't really moving. Maybe this week will be better.

Thanks again, good to know others have experienced the same thing.

JerseyGyrl
10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I feel better, I think my pants are fitting differently, but the scale isn't really moving.

While not seeing numbers on a scale going down, there is something to be said about clothes fitting differently! Often, we lose inches that do not show up as a loss on the scale but, nonetheless, you are losing!:carrot:

As for the ketosis stick's, for me, they were a total waste of money. They never changed color for me, yet I lost over 100 lbs. So, I don't have a whole lot of faith in them but, thats just me:)

I agree with Sandy, stick with it. Patience and persistance do pay off. And in my opinion, Atkins offers a delicious way to eat. What other plan allows you to enjoy steak, full fat salad dressings, full fat mayo, heavy cream??? Sure beats low fat and fat free bland tasting foods anyday!

All the best to you!

Zaftig Mama
10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks JerseyGyrl! I am really trying to remain positive about this. I have to say, that for the most part, this is a struggle for me as I am not a big meat eater to begin with, love eggs, but the constant meat protein is wearing on me. I wanted to give it a try because of the big weight loss claims for induction, so far that has not been the case for me, 2 weeks = 4 pounds. Don't get me wrong, it's 4 pounds lost, not gained or hung on to, :carrot: but still.

As for the sticks, I have had varying colors, from almost negative to pretty darned purple, but as you can see, they do not correlate to weight loss. Just one more thing for me to obsess over I guess.:dizzy:

I am going to stay with it this week, I promise I will, I know you have had tremendous success with the program so that is my inspiration. Who knows, maybe it will kick in this week.

Thanks to everyone who is helping me over the bumps here, I am pretty sure I would have bagged this by now if it weren't for your words of encouragement.:hug:

JerseyGyrl
10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I am not a big meat eater to begin with, love eggs, but the constant meat protein is wearing on me.

I think this is a very common misconception regarding Atkins. Contrary to popular opinion, Atkins isn't about eating large quantities of meat. Actually, its much more about concentrating on veggies & salads.
Personally, I don't eat much meat at all. I stick to mainly eggs for protein.

Zaftig Mama
10-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't eat large quantities of meat, but this is certainly more than I am used to. I love eggs and use them for breakfast and hard boiled for lunch in salads. I don't care for beef at all to be honest, so I usually will find an alternate. I think my stomach is really rebelling against the fat. I do not do well with it, don't digest it well, gives me an upset stomach. Even though I need to lose weight, I really do not eat a high fat diet and I have never done well with it.

At the suggestion of many here, I upped my fat content some, and am now paying the price. Let's just say the intestines are NOT happy. This isn't an Atkins adjustment, this is just me. I gave up eating greasy, fatty foods years ago as I don't tolerate them well. My aging tummy I guess!

Everyone here has been wonderful and I thank you for your heartfelt support, but I think I am going to have to go back to focusing more on portion control and not so much on the Atkins plan. I simply do not think I can do this. If I was seeing significant loss, then I would hang in there, but to be honest, this is no more than when I simply watch what I eat. So I think I will just become more vigilant with that, watch my afternoon snacking and hope that does the trick.

I wish you all luck! I will check back in from time to time to see how everyone is doing and report any progress. That is if you Atkins folks will have me back?:^:

Again, thanks to you all and best of luck with your plans.

I do plan to find a spot on 3FC to help me stay on track, but I won't take up anymore of your time here as I am not moving forward with this plan.

TTFN!!!:wave::wave:

StephanieM
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
You are always welcome here Zaftig Mama :)

Not every eating plan works for everyone. Sometimes you just need to find your niche.

Linsy
10-03-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm sorry to see you go. I'm not seeing huge amounts of weight loss either, but I do have a decent amount of cheese and aspartame along with a couple of other things that aren't recommended. I've lost about 5 pounds in ~2 weeks and that's good enough for me! I love being able to go out to restaurants and just order a steak and veggies with lots of butter and eat!

However, different plans work for different people. If EVERYONE found success on Atkins, then nobody would bother with other diets! Hopefully you find a plan that works for you, and I'm sure everyone here would love to hear about your losses if you find something that you enjoy.

Good luck!

sandyfanny
10-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Zaftig Mama, I wish you all the best in finding what works for you. Please do check in with us from time to time to let us know how you're doing; many of us are on a long-term journey, and we will be here. :hug:

StephanieM
10-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Linsy, 5 lbs in two weeks is pretty good, I hope I lose that steadily when I'm done induction. (I have a history of stalls with calorie counting)

Linsy
10-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm on Induction, but I don't follow it at strictly as some people do. I eat tomato paste sometimes, which is kind of high in carbs. I also drink aspartame and eat processed meats like salami. My bacon also has nitrites in it, and I eat some spices that aren't allowed like cumin and paprika. If I cut out all of those things and upped my carbs from veggies, I could probably see more dramatic losses. I stay away from anything with flour, sugar, bread, etc though.

I did calorie counting for a little bit less than a week before I started Atkins, and I was STARVING! I lost weight but it wasn't how I wanted to be eating. I started Atkins and it's been so much easier on me.