100 lb. Club - Crockpot cooking!

View Full Version : Crockpot cooking!

cfmama
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
When I first started losing weight I was scared to use my crockpot... I couldn't count every single calorie that went into my mouth! How could I calculate an entire recipe!

Well I found a recipe calorie calculator on the net, averaged the amount of cups in each meal, VIOLA! Amount of calories per cup of food!

In the last two weeks I've made sweet and sour chicken (breasts), spaghetti with meat/veggie sauce (heavy on the veggie), chicken breasts with mushroom sauce and last night was beef/veggie stew (two tiny steaks and TONS of veggies).

With winter coming and me being short on time this is the perfect solution to making sure we ALWAYS have a healthy dinner on the table.

Do YOU have a favorite crockpot recipe?

dudesmom
09-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I make a bean soup in the crockpot that I am just in love with!

Eliana
09-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Oh, the crockpot!! LOL! I had the same fear. In fact, I need to dust off the old favorite. I'm strong enough to face her again! :D

I have planned a pot roast for this week, actually, probably tomorrow night.

pokeycactus
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
cfmama - can you post or message me the recipes??? I am crockpot illiterate and was scared of the same thing! I got one for my wedding almost two years ago and I always think, "It would be so great to make something in that thing!" :lol:

lolcat
09-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Chili!!

Extra lean ground turkey, onions, green and red peppers, tomatoes, tomatoes, (LOL), vegetable juice.... spices. (then add beans if you like that kind of thing). YUM!

pokeycactus, I think posting crock pot recipes is a GREAT idea!!!

BlueEyes83
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I would love to know healthy crock pot recipes! I have 2 pots and use them for parties and that's it. it would be nice to cook one meal for the whole week :D

kateleestar
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
I made Hungry Girl's seafood chowder on Monday night in my crock pot! ...but only because I don't have a kitchen at the moment. :D

I make this recipe, and its AMAZING:

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-w-black-beans-and-cream-cheese-yum-89204

I've lightened it up by using fat free cream cheese.. but other than that, its amazing. We usually have it with brown rice and salad.

I also like making this: http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1658 The turkey chili.. Although, I double the chilis because I love LOVE LOVE hot spicy food... so....

There's some. :lol:

I have tons more. I heart my crock pot. It's the best wedding present I got! (Besides the cash!! HAAH!) :D

guamvixen
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
A friend of mine showed me this. It's the easiest, and tastiest! I use non-fat cheese (serving size) and low cal corn tortillas. Overall, the taco ends up having about 100-125 cals so I can eat about 2 guilt free. Give it a try, it's delicious!

CHICKEN TACOS

3 to 4 frozen chicken breasts
2 to 3 cans of Mexican Tomatoes (Located with the stewed tomatoes at the grocery store)
Flour or Corn Tortillas
Shredded cheese

Just put it all in your crock pot, add about can of water and cook on low temperature for about 8 hours.

Creeech
09-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I get very paranoid leaving appliances on when I'm not home..has anyone had any problems with this in the past?

guamvixen
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
I get very paranoid leaving appliances on when I'm not home..has anyone had any problems with this in the past?

I get paranoid too, but every appliance I buy has an auto-shut off. (I'm very forgetful and clumsy) The crock pot I use has a timer. I feel safe with it on, it goes to warm setting after the cook time runs out, and I make sure I don't leave anything near it. It sits all by itself on the counter. Don't worry, i got the wiring and reviews checked out on our socket and crockpot. So far, I am in good shape! I am more afraid of leaving an iron on!

shcirerf
09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
cfmama - can you post or message me the recipes??? I am crockpot illiterate and was scared of the same thing! I got one for my wedding almost two years ago and I always think, "It would be so great to make something in that thing!" :lol:

Me too!

shcirerf
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Nope, love the thing!

Beverlyjoy
09-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I have used my crockpot for over thirty years. I am sure over a hundred times. Very often, on days when I wouldn't be home all day. I've never had a problem because it's an electric appliance left on. It's important to check the crock for any cracks.

People need to stay in their comfort zone with this.

MamaP
09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
One of my favorite things in the crock pot is a boneless, skinless chicken breast, a can of green beans and a can of fire roasted stewed tomatoes. Makes a great meal for one (since I live alone). Most of the time though I will cook two chicken breasts so I can have the leftovers for lunch the next day (like today). I'm not a fan of chicken breasts because I think they are too dry, this way they are nice and moist. If I were not a carb watcher, it would be great over rice. I have one of those really little crock pots for cooking for myself and a larger one for bigger meals.

Beverlyjoy
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I have a recipe for Saurkraut and Pork - so easy. DH has a German background and it's good luck to eat Saurkraut and Pork on New Years Day. I've made this recipe at least thirty times. My family loves it.

My MIL told me:

-one or two glass jars of saukraut ( or bagged) leave about half of the liquid in jar. She said canned saurkraut has a 'tinny' flavor so don't use that.

-pork steak, pork chops, or pork ribs, or pork anything

-couple slices of apple (to cut the tart taste)

-Pepper

Put in all in the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Break up pork a bit before serving. It will just fall apart. Serve on smashed potatoes.

Some folks like to add some of the following: more apple, onions, caraway seeds, garlic...

It's so easy and yummy if you like saurkraut.

PinkHoodie
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Whats the website that does the calorie count for you?? I need that!!! I love my crockpot though. It is probably the number one way I usually make meals. Like, one I made the other night. Threw about 3/4 of a jar of Marinara sauce on top of chicken breasts, added some oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Let it cook on low all day. Then towards the end added part skim mozarella cheese! It was SOOOO yummy. And SO easy!! You could also use salsa, I have done that before too.
I especially love the crockpot liners. Makes cleanup a SNAP!

Terre
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I just started using my crockpot again... But found a fantastic recipe that my whole family loved.

Cut up enough chicken breast for 1 for each person. I cut mine in 3rds. Put in bottom. Peel and cut a potato for each person and cut into spuds. Place on top of chicken take 1/2 cup fat free italian dressing and pour on top. let cook on low for 5-6 hrs... It was fantastic!!!

saef
09-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I seem to gravitate toward recipes that use both my stove top & my crockpot.

First, in a pan, you brown the meat or sautee the vegetables, then dump the ingredients into the pot, combine with other ingredients, and turn it on.

An example: Here's a really excellent beef stew recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen which has unexpected flavors in it from the black olives & capers & rosemary.
This got raves from a house guest. And it made my apartment smell simply amazing.

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/crockpot-beef-stew-recipe-with-olives.html

cfmama
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
You can google it but I like Calorie Count

Mushroom chicken:
5 chicken breasts
1 can low sodium ready made mushroom soup
garlic seasoning and pepper
Chuck all into crockpot ;) Serve over brown rice!

Beef stew
2 SMALL AND THIN steaks
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups diced carrots
3 large celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, chopped
12 cloves garlic (whole... but I LURVE GARLIC!)
4 cups water
3 T soy sauce
2tsp bovril (it's a gravy seasoning)
pepper, garlic seasoning
I cook my meat first and then add everything else. Cook on low for 7-8 hours

Spaghetti sauce
1 pound extra lean ground beef
2 large stalks celery
mushrooms, chopped
large onion, chopped
green pepper, chopped
red pepper, chopped
baby tomatoes, whole
12 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large cans tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
seasoning (I use bay, oregano, pepper, garlic)
I brown the beef in my crock first (but can do on the stove) and then add everything else. Cook on low for 4-5 hours

Salsa chicken
5 chicken breasts (I'm feeeding 5 people... with leftovers)
medium size jar of salsa
Cook on high for 5 hours (and you can put the chicken in raw or frozen)

I do soups, stews, meats with sauce... all sorts of things!

kateleestar
09-30-2010, 07:26 AM
I just got this recipe in my email this morning, it's from Hungry Girl and it's called Sweet & Spicy Veggie pot... it sounds pretty good!

Ingredients:
2 cups cubed butternut squash (about half a squash)
1 large eggplant, stem removed, peeled, and cubed
1/2 head of cabbage, cored and cut in chunks
1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch coins
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
One 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1/4 tsp. ground ginger, or more to taste
1/4 tsp. ground cumin, or more to taste
1/4 tsp. chili powder, or more to taste

Directions:
Place all cut veggies in an extra-large bowl and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine all other ingredients and thoroughly mix. Spoon this mixture over the veggies and stir to coat.
Transfer mixture to a crock pot with a capacity of four quarts or more. If needed, pack it in tightly. (It will cook down.)
Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours, until veggies are very tender.
Stir well and serve!

MAKES 10 SERVINGS

shcirerf
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I found some great recipes at http://www.laaloosh.com/2010/01/12/crock-pot-chicken-cacciatore-recipe/
If you scroll down there are more at the bottom of the page.

kateleestar
10-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Were having this for dinner tonight, because I have everything already and DH is working till 7, so I'll have enough time on "high"... lol.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/slow-cooker-sweet-sour-chicken-60835.aspx

TASTY I hope!

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-05-2010, 08:22 PM
This is a family favorite and very easy ...

EZ CHICKEN & RIBS

pieces of chicken (wings, drums, whatever for each person)
pieces of pork or ribs (according to number of persons)
1 bottle favorite BBQ sauce
1 cup water
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic or tsp garlic powder, opt

Put pork on bottom with chicken pieces on top; mix remaining ingredients and pour over top. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until tender. Serve with coleslaw, green beans, corn, and mash potatoes as desired. We had a big family so we made lots; but now I just make enuff for a few pieces each for DH & I (and sometimes enuff for two meals).

DOROTHY'S MEAT SAUCE

An Italian lady/friend I babysat for in my teens made this every weekend for her family; and it was my job to turn off the crock and put it in the fridge for the next day (Saturday).

1 lb + lean ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 chopped sweet green pepper
1 x 28 oz can tomatoes, chopped with juice
1 minced clove garlic or to taste
1 tsp basil & oregano
1 tsp salt & pepper

Put meat in bottom; add remaining ingredients; add 1/2 cup water if it needs it near the end. Cook for 4-5 hours or slowly all day and serve over favorite pasta or mashed potatoes. NOTE: I also add one small can tomato paste to my version today if making as a pasta sauce. Some people like to brown the meat before putting in the crock.

Sea
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I like to cook a turkey breast in my large crockpot. I only do this on the high setting, but it comes out moist and perfect. I do add about a cup of water to the dish and a little olive oil on the top. This is so much easier than basting all day for the holidays.