100 lb. Club - When do they become vanity pounds?

Eliana
09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Where, for you, does the shift happen from "I have to get this off" to "I want to get this off?"

Early journey I was convinced 145 (normal BMI) was my cut off between have-to and want-to.

Now I'm not sure. I no longer feel like I HAVE to lose weight. I don't think any doctor would have "that discussion" with me.

Not that it matters! I'm just being nosy...something to talk about. :)

lolcat
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
That's a great question!!
I think for me, it's around 140-ish. I never got "That talk" at that weight, but lost more and looked better. My ultimate goal is around 125, but when I get in the area I will re-evaluate to see if I really NEED to go further.

I think part of my vanity is the sound of the number..... I want the number to SOUND as little as possible!!

calluna
09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
No docs gave me grief when I was thirteen pounds into the overweight category. For me, the optional part will occur at about 159, 10 lbs into the normal category. The reason is sort of silly...I want to be far enough into "normal" that my redline zone doesn't fall in or too near the overweight category.

Silly...BMI is just a number, but I need a metric of some kind and that seemed sensible to me. :)

mkendrick
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
(Not in 100-lb club, hope it's ok to post :))

When I reached about 150lbs I was definitely looking better and back to a decently comfortable weight. I was in my normal BMI range. I was back to the normal-Megan, no longer fat-Megan...if that makes sense.

But I guess I felt that if I had come that far, I didn't want to settle. If you're gonna do it, do it right. I WANTED to be a THIN person. I was tired of being envious of girls that could wear anything and be thin little dainty things. *I* wanted to be a thin little dainty thing. And I'm glad that I did. I've never experienced being skinny, and there's a remarkable difference between even being "healthy average" and "skinny." I personally prefer "skinny."

That being said, I don't have an obsession with getting as skinny as I can, and I am certainly not wanting to lose anymore. I definitely understand the fact that there is such a thing as being "too skinny." I am at a fairly low weight for my height (BMI is around 19.8), but I have a small frame and I actually still have quite a decent amount of padding, hehe.

SassyPoppet
09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Hmmm, I haven't been below 150 since college, but I do like how that "sounds". When I make it to 150, I am more than positive that I will want to go a little further. Personally, I would love to hit the "metric" of being "at" 135 - that's my perfection number.

So, I guess those 15 pounds between 135 and 150 would be my vanity pounds. I think I will enjoy that dilemma.

ma26
09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I didnt read through all the responses so someone might have already said this. I feel like if your numbers are good. Blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugar, cholestoral. Then your probably in the "want to lose weight" catagory. Things like body type can play a role here. I hate my big thighs and hips, but I know carrying weight there is definately less of a risk than other places. PLus depending upon bone deinstiy, muscle mass and such, healthy weights can vary hugely. A thin person who eats a poor diet and doesnt exercise may have dangerous level of fat clogging their artieres and make them suceptible to a stroke or heart attack, while someone who has a BMI overweight may have a clean and healthy system even if they are carrying more body fat.

saef
09-28-2010, 11:09 AM
When it became less about attaining a particular number, and more about achieving a particular look.

Then I knew it was more about aesthetics.

It started off as being about health, my terrible fear over symptoms I'd been experiencing & my intimations of mortality.

At some point, I passed from panicked to feeling I had this thing under control. Successfully losing weight for a while left me feeling able to change things. I was confident I could continue to make myself into the image I'd started to have. Maybe this is a form of hubris, though, and I am deluded in thinking I have that much control over my own flesh, because genetics likely has the final word on that. Maybe the best I can hope for is fighting genetics hard so everything is at a standstill for a couple years, till age takes over or I get too tired or distracted by some brilliant new project.

Eliana
09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I am more in the category of wanting a particular look now. I am no longer horrified by any particular part of my body. My numbers are all good, BP, resting HR, blood sugar...not sure about cholesterol. It WAS high. That may be a determining factor right there.

I'm happy with the way I look...content. But I'm only if I compare myself to where I was at 235. I am now officially the same size I was when I got married (though 20 pounds heavier :dizzy:). I know this because I tried on my wedding dress yesterday. :D I was NOT happy with my body then, so why am I happy with it now? Because I've learned so much! I know what fat really is!

Megan, I want to be skinny and dainty too. :rolleyes: That's the first time I've ever admitted it aloud! LOL! I've always wanted to be the swooning female the lead characters carries off into the sunset. Trouble is, in reality, I'm actually quite strong, independent and determined. No swooning from me!

starfishkitty
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd say that'd be at my 100lb mark.... but honestly I already am at a point (after being as big that I was) that if I stopped today I wouldn't ever hate myself again the way I used to.

However, I'm also really going for that healthy BMI.

Once I reach those two.... I think it'll be an "Okay you did it.... if you lose more, cool, if not, cool too." :)

Terre
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I am happy with my size. However to me it's a number thing. When I started in jan I said my goal was 150 by my birthday. On Oct 29th I will be 36 and I will be 150 by then...keeping fingers crossed lol

kateleestar
09-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I was thinking about this very thing on the way in to work this morning. I was thinking that my "major goal" is 175, but being 5'7", that's still overweight... Maybe I should lower it to 150? Or 158, which would be 100 lbs off.. I don't know. I have never been thin, or small, or not the biggest girl in my "group" .. I went to a private school most of my childhood where there were only 4 girls, and I was the biggest. I was the biggest of 4 girls in my family of cousins. I'm no longer the biggest in my group of friends, but only because my BFF has some serious medical problems and some of her meds throw anything she does off wack, :( ... But, I want to have to decide this, I think.

Maybe when I get to 175, I'll be happy. Lord knows I'll weigh less than I did in High School! (And maybe even middle school, I dont remember back that far... but it does make me want to go get my medical records, lol..)

I dont want to change my goal and have the weightloss number seem SO MUCH MORE daunting. I mean, I've lost 31 so far, and thats great, but... sheesh, I'd still have so much more to go.

Now I'm rambling, :lol: ... Back to the point, I agree with Poppy.. I will enjoy that dilema of trying to figure that out.

I wonder at what point I will be all 'hey, I'm good.. maybe I want to keep going, not that I need to"

Sorry this is so long, I'm kind of talking to myself. LOL!! :D

xty
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
For me - the real answer is that vanity lbs can be at almost any weight....if you are losing the weight for the wrong reasons. Appearance over health.

Im 135 this morning. While people might say any further loss is vanity lbs, my goal isnt to be skinny.

My goal is to be strong and to advance my health. If that is the primary driver, and where my weight lands is secondary - these still dont feel like vanity lbs.

matt_H
09-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree completely with Xty.

I'm at 14% body fat. Yes, that is in the healthy range, but I'd like to be as healthy as I can be and to keep working on my health. It might result in my losing weight or possibly even gaining weight (if it is muscle). I do know that I'd like to get my body fat percentage down some more.

ChrissyBean
09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, for me, they're ALL vanity pounds, from the first one till whatever my last one will be! LOL I want the weight gone so I'll look good. I wasn't worried about health or anything deep like that, just how I looked.

MissKoo
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I still think the best goal has to do with health. I've said it before - I have weighed in the 170s and been a size ten and have been 165 in a tight size twelve (same brand of jeans). I was ill @ the lower weight - no muscle tone! At the higher weight I was jazzercising five times a week and had smaller waist, hips and legs with nice muscle tone. Maybe a body fat percentage? I think that really tells the truth about things!

Although . . . I check the scale. I go to WW and they weigh me. I certainly need to lose at least 80 more pounds to even be in the healthy weight neighborhood! That being said, after I'm in the range I would like to be fit and wear a size 12 again.

I'm six feet tall so if I get too skinny I'm afraid I'll look like a middle-aged brunette big-bird!

TXMary2
09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I have set a goal of 140 and have told myself that is an acceptable weight, but like Mkendrick, I want to be more than just an "acceptable" weight so I think for me 130 will be the number where I no longer "must lose weight." I think for me going from 140-130 would definitely be "vanity" pounds. I am not even close, but I can't wait to find out!

Jessica88
09-28-2010, 11:25 PM
I completely agree with Megan. I am a little more than 11 pounds from my goal weight of 145 which is in the middle of the healthy range for my height. Now that I'm closer I don't know if I will be keeping the same goal weight because I do not want to just be average, I want to be skinny and tiny. But I still want to stay in the healthy range for my weight, just on the lower end :)

pnkrckpixikat
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
For me my goal weight of 150 is likely stretching into the vanity range. I picked it because I like the sound of the number, it meant losing an even 145 lbs, and I fully expect once i finish and start maintaining I might need cushioning so i built a little in. But at almost 5ft 10in with a solid german build even tho 150 is mid-range for my height I'm guessing anything below maybe 170 might start pushing me into the skinny range.

Arctic Mama
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
That is something I gauge as I go, once my health is looking good and I like what I see in the mirror. For me, my goal is a moving target of sorts - what my goal at 250 was is the same as it is now, numerically, but what that goal looks like on my body and in my head is different, because of where I have lost and how my body has transformed. So the real number that will look and feel the way I want it to may change.... Again, provided my health is good, I am going until I am satisfied. For me, I think that may be higher than my goal weight, we'll see!

Matilda08
09-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Well, for me, they're ALL vanity pounds, from the first one till whatever my last one will be! LOL I want the weight gone so I'll look good. I wasn't worried about health or anything deep like that, just how I looked.

DITTO! This is the story of my life, Ive never had any health problems. I started losing weight because I was tired of what I saw in the mirror and thats that:) The health benefits were none more than a bonus for me. Although Im happy that I workout regularly and it feels great it has nothing to do with why I started if this makes sense. Ive never been the kind of gal that wanted to be skinny I love my curves to death. Thats just not the look im going for because I know that I carry my weight very well. The lowest I can see myself going is 160 but my goal weight is where I want to be. After that it will be more able how I look in my cloths rather than what the scale reads.

Eliana
09-29-2010, 09:37 AM
DITTO! This is the story of my life, Ive never had any health problems. I started losing weight because I was tired of what I saw in the mirror and thats that:) The health benefits were none more than a bonus for me. Although Im happy that I workout regularly and it feels great it has nothing to do with why I started if this makes sense. Ive never been the kind of gal that wanted to be skinny I love my curves to death. Thats just not the look im going for because I know that I carry my weight very well. The lowest I can see myself going is 160 but my goal weight is where I want to be. After that it will be more able how I look in my cloths rather than what the scale reads.

I used to have this view point. I'd say weight loss became about health for me once I noticed that after 200 pounds my knees hurt, I got out of breath way too easily, I couldn't tie my shoes or clip my toe nails, my back hurt to do dishes, my BP reached 155/105, my fasting blood sugar was 104, and I had really bad reflux attacks. That's when it became solidly about health.

Now that my health is under control, it's slipping into vanity. :^: Which is not a bad thing! :D

Thighs Be Gone
09-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I base the goals on how good I feel. I know I feel the best beneath 135. I also know that number is reasonable for me based on my food intake and activity level.

Thighs Be Gone
09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I would DEFINITELY also agree that I don't want to be mediocre or acceptable. I want to be my own personal best.

DhaniCauldwell
09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm going for 140, but I want to see how I look at 150 before I go any further. I am fairly tall so I can naturally carry more weight without looking really fat (it also helps that I'm a pear). For me, vanity pounds would be going from 140-130.

:queen: Dhani :queen:

Rosinante
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM
My have to l:l want to barrier will be at 135.
I made 136 before and looked good in clothes, although I always still felt lumpy in myself.
I suppose in a way the one pound more is sheer vanity, to prove I can do it! but once I get there I could easily lose 20lbs more and still be well within normal. I may pause and take stock.

time2lose
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Right now, mediocre or acceptable sounds just fine to me. :) Normal sounds even better!

ubergirl
09-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Good question Eliana.

I've been struggling with this quite a bit recently. Right now, I'm twenty-three pounds over a normal BMI, I've been at this for fifteen months. I've reached a point where my eating is more or less on auto-pilot and I feel like I've developed a sustainable lifestyle change. But my weight just does not seem to want to budge. I am reaching the point where I believe that my weight is going to settle higher than what I had hoped and that to drop lower might take an effort of restriction of eating and time spent on exercise that might be overkill. For twenty years, while morbidly obese, I dreamed of just being able to eat a reasonable amount every day, and to feel fit and to fit into normal clothes, and now I'm there.

So, I'm not sure.... My lowest adult weight, and the only weight when I felt genuinely thin was when I weighed 145, but I only maintained that weight for about a year. When I was in high school I weighed 150-160 and in college about 150-175.

Right now, I'm still struggling to get all the way to my goal weight of 175.

In reality, I'd like to weigh 150, which is the weight at which I felt "normal" when I was young, but at 49 I just am not sure if that is really obtainable....

Loving Me
09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I've been reading this thread with great interest the last few days as it's something that's been going through my mind a lot lately.
People are telling me now that I look fabulous and surely can't have anymore weight to lose. I just keep telling them that I still have an overweight BMI. 145 will see me get to the top end of a healthy BMI, 24.9, and I'm determined to get there. After that I really don't know.
Although I am nearing my initial goal and feel fabulous mostly when dressed, naked there is a lot of loose skin and still plenty of padding, so I know that there is still weight to go.
I have three things in my head really.
1. I want to be far enough into a healthy BMI that I can maintain and make sure that I don't ever go into the overweight category after a holiday etc.
2. In the UK we tend to see our weight in stones and lbs. I NEVER thought when I started this journey that I had a hope of getting into the 10stones range (which I was for a lot of my late teens/early twenties. Now that I've got to where I am I have a new dream, to get into the 9stones range, so 139lbs or under.
3. If I can lose another 8lbs after hitting my initial goal that will take me to 137lbs, which will mean I've lost exactly half my body weight during this journey, will take me into the 9stones range and will give me a BMI of 23.5, well into the healthy range for maintenance.
So for me getting to 145lbs is for health, but any after that for me is vanity. Although it's not set in stone, once I get to 145lbs I'll see how I feel, but think I'm then going to work towards 137lbs, and re-assess again then.