Weight Loss Support - Diet Wreckers

View Full Version : Diet Wreckers

gigglez
10-24-2002, 11:14 PM
I was just a little courious what causes everyone to get side tracked from their diet. Right now I am having a hard time sticking to mine and lokking for a little help. Here's a few things that kill my diet.

1. Excessive stress
2. Our most unwanted monthly friend :devil:
3. Depression
4. Medicines(I have been receiving lupron injections and they are getting the best of me :moo: that is how they make ne feel)

Any ideas out there on how to get rid of the joys of life that sidetrack us from our goal. I would appericate any and all ideas.
Thanks,
sandy

Kaylets
10-25-2002, 06:24 AM
I could go on forever but the first that comes to mind, is when :

My schedule changes unexpectedly- and I don't have a back up plan- that can throw me off course sometimes for a couple days--

The other thing that took me years to realize is that some foods just make me want more and more- (some folks call them trigger, to me its more like CRAVING)-- And it only takes 1 to set me up for a chain reaction of more, more, more-- If I avoid these "tiggers" I have minimal cravings --

Thanks for posting this question-It'll be interesting to see the different answers.

morningglory
10-25-2002, 07:40 AM
Try to buy some lo-cal treats, like Healthy choice icecream. Or just whatever strikes your fancy. Use them in emergency situations. Also, some frozen lo-cal versions of your favorite foods. That can help. That way if you yield you won't be harming yourself as much.
morningglory

morningglory
10-25-2002, 07:44 AM
One more thing. There are lo-cal, lo-fat treats, such as york peppermint patty (160 cal, 3 g. fat), Tootsie Pops(60 cal, 0 fat), Bit O' Honey (160 cal(I think), and like 3 g. fat). Gum is low calorie, low fat. There are sweet things you can eat to help you get over your craings.
morningglory

Rusty*Rusty
10-25-2002, 08:46 AM
I binge and eat hi-cal stuff when I don't have various lo-cal alternatives in the house. I keep fruit/salad makings/ff pudding and Italian ices/nosalt tortillas & salsa/raisin bread and sugarfree jam/canned chicken noodle soup (150cal/can)/loads of pickles sweet to garlic/Healthy Choice turkey breast or ham 30cal/slice/sugarfree hot chocolate/chili in a can/shrimp in the freezer. I can usually satisfy a craving with SOMETHING lo-cal.

When BoxerBob and I went to the fair this year - the day before I started my calorie counting I stopped on our way in and got some plain donut holes with powdered sugar. Late in the day I got a serving of curly fires - which turned out to be kind of strange - they were shaved and were more like long twisty potato chips, than fries. I really didn't have much of an appetite and I couldn't figure it out - I usually gorge on fair food. That was why I waited until the next day (last day of our vacation) to start my lo-cal diet.

Later on as we were driving home I remembered that I had munched on a Breathsaver whenever the mood hit and I'm 99% sure that it curbed my munchies.

Now I carry some of the sour/sweet Lifesavers around - they're individually wrapped - and pop one into my mouth when I really don't need food but have that *I need something to eat* feeling. Tart candies seem to gratify more than more sugary treats.

15 calories per Lifesaver.

KiraR
10-26-2002, 12:23 AM
I think for me, boredom is a big problem.. If I'm home for too long, I think I'm hungry though I really am not. Also, I just have noticed a pattern, that about 6-8 weeks into a weight loss effort I tend to lose focus and usually give up. Hopefully I'll keep goin strong, just completed my 8th week!

gigglez
10-27-2002, 08:47 PM
way to go kira on the loss. i too do the bored thing it sucks dont it