100 lb. Club - Slippery slope

View Full Version : Slippery slope

caryesings
09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I gave up eating candy in April 2005. I ate 8-16 oz. of candy/day. I finally convinced myself that I would never be a person who could eat a reasonable amount of candy so had to eliminate it from my life. Went cold turkey and it was by far the hardest thing I've ever done. Unlike some who report after they stop eating a certain food they stop craving it after a few weeks, I continued to battle the urge on an hour by hour basis for months and months. Still wanted candy years later. I did not attempt weight loss until I was sure that dieting would not cause me to lose my "no candy" resolve.

So finally started dieting April 2009, and am pretty happy with where I am now. This week I am up in Michigan visiting family and working out of office here (I usually work from my home). I am now around candy that I don't keep in my house and bizarrely enough have been "sampling" both at sister's home and in the office. Really questioning myself on where this is coming from. So far no binges triggered but I'm typing this out as my way to say THIS STOPS NOW.

Thank you for listening.

xty
09-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Wow - in case you dont realize it...pretty awesome you recognized a behavior pattern in this pre-trigger form and are working on it :)

Congrats on that and hold your ground!

toobig
09-27-2010, 08:04 PM
You can handle this!

ubergirl
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I can't handle candy at all either, and I KNOW that sampling would be a bad idea for me too....

I think being at home and around family triggers old weird patterns.

Hold fast!

Eliana
09-27-2010, 09:12 PM
It's pop for me. It's been out of my life ten months now and there can't be any going back, not ever.

May I never be tempted as you are now. ;) Maybe you can have it in moderation, but I wouldn't want to take that chance. :no: I hate to be so melodramatic and not to minimize alcoholism, but I've watched my brother take that "just one sip" of alcohol too many times. There's not a huge difference.

Natasha1534
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
I also love candy and it's been hard for me to give up. I'm talking I love chocolate, I love chewy, I love tart, I love fizzy, I love creamy, I love nutty, I love all kinds of candy!!! I've taken to the Crystal Light sugar-free candies and they're pretty good...but I've limited myself to 4 a day and I haven't had any in a while.