Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/274.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Slow and steady...

Well it's Week 2 weigh-in, and I'm still losing, (i.e. not gaining...haha) but I only lost 0.8lbs putting me at a total of 2.2lbs for the past two weeks. My goal every week is to lose 2lbs, so I am 1.8lbs shy of my goal so far.

My Two Big Issues: My dang boyfriend still. He comes over to my place Wed. and Thurs. and I usually cook us a nice, healthy meal. Then I spend Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning with him and we eat garbage, basically. I usually only eat meals with him on Saturday, and we usually miss breakfast because we're sleeping in. So between lunch and dinner, at least one of them is typically awful for you. He tempts me, and I give in. I need to get stronger because he has become indifferent about losing weight, so I know he isn't going to stop suggesting places like Bojangles. I'm not upset with him because ultimately my decisions are my own, and I just need to put my foot down. I just find it hard to put my foot down when Bojangles sounds so delicious.

By Thursday or so, I become so overwhelmed with my classwork that I stop going to the gym. The past two weeks I've gone to the gym Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday but then didn't go on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Again, I just need to remind myself that it isn't too much to ask to save one hour for the betterment of my body.

I'm positive, but I'm also impatient. I know that losing, on average, 1lb per week will still get me somewhere...it will just take 100 weeks instead of 50. I'm ready to be healthy NOW, but I just have to look for the long-term.
myfishpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #2  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

The time with your BF, sounds like me and my hubby. He works offshore. When he is home I cook meals, we do great, then the weekend comes and we go eat once.. then twice. He leaves for work and I am still in the garbage disposal mode. Its like a vicious cycle.

Just keep going and try to make healthy choices. That is what I am telling myself. If I go eat.. order GRILLED chicken, not the fried. For me its baby steps

shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

You can still eat out and do it in a healthy way. For instance, regular egg mcmuffins from McD's aren't that terrible for you (the ham, egg and cheese kind). You could have that with a fruit and yogurt parfait and some water. I have found that regardless of where we eat, I can still make the right choices and keep my weighloss on track. For instance, today I had lunch at Chili's. I got the Avocado Burger (it comes on a wheat roll) I told them no sauce on the burger and replaced the fries with a side salad with vinigarette dressing. It was delicious! Healthy doesn't have to equal fried and fatty.

In my case, hubby pretty much know what I will and wont eat. But we have gotten there slowly with me telling him many times "I can't eat that." I also find it helpful to try lots of new (healthy) recipes. I make notes on the recipes of "Good!" or "Just Okay" I still keep the "Okay" ones for future reference not to make it again. I think this helps to keep DH happy as its easy to get in a rut of eating the same "approved" items constantly while on our weightloss journeys. This way we all get more variety. It also helps me because I'm finding lots of very yummy foods that are completely On Plan for me. Its easier to do this when you enjoy what you are eating.

Also, if you focus on a specific number for each week, you are probably going to be disappointed more often than not. All I hope for each week is a loss. And if its TOM I just hope there is no gain. I started on March 1 and am down 32 pounds. I have been going strong, RARELY have any cheat items and that still puts me at an average of just over 1 lb per week. However, this has become a lifestyle change for me and I know that I will be able to maintain this lifestyle when I reach my goal.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #4  

I try my best to make healthy choices wherever we go, but I am a really picky eater. I am trying to branch out, but it is difficult. Like today, I brought some baby carrots and fat free ranch to try out as part of my lunch...I ate one carrot and had to stop. But I'm trying, and I guess that's all I can do.

So most of the time, I just ask that we go somewhere that also has healthy options that I enjoy. Like Noodles and Company or Moe's or Chik-Fil-A. But somewhere like Bojangles...even if I could stomach the grilled sandwich, the only non-fatty side is rice. So I'm trying to coach my bf to go to places like that when we're not together, so he can get his fill and I don't succumb to the appeal of a cajun filet biscuit. Oh, as a side note, I don't like salad, which is a real hindrance to eating out, especially at places where that's the only healthy thing on the menu.

But rather than complain, I'm just trying to make it work. I don't want to force my boyfriend to diet. In fact, I can't considering we eat about four meals per week together (out of, let's say, 21 or so). So I just try to say, let's go to Moe's where he can get his homewrecker burrito or his nachos and I can get a joey on a whole grain tortilla w/black beans, chicken, and rice.

And I just have to have a number to shoot for. I understand that it leads to disappointment. But it's the only way for me to measure success. I guess I should clarify that ultimately I want to lose weight. So any loss is acceptable to me. But my goal is 2lbs. So really my goal is to lose and then I would really like to lose 2lbs/week.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I stopped shooting for a number per week long ago. I call it a win if I've gone down or even stayed the same from week to week. Some just lose slower than others.

That being said, he could at least try to compromise with you. No, you don't have to put him on a diet, but like you said, you could go to places with healthier options.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Fat free ranch is disgusting. I'd suggest trying the carrots without it. It is all about trial and error though.. some food may go to waste along the way, but you'll learn what works for you and what helps you the most. There's no use making yourself eat healthy foods if you aren't liking it.

I have the hardest time with getting overwhelmed and not making work outs happen. The longer I stick to this, the more I improve, though.. and the more habit it becomes.

Your next step would be controlling the eating out. I've found it has such a huuuuuge impact on my loss, not just because of the excessive calories but the sodium, and how it makes me feel (causing me to blow off even more gym time). I'm pretty bad about saying no when it is something delicious though... Again, that's something I'm getting better at the longer I stick to this journey. Believe me, slow and steady can work just fine. I just need an occasional kick in the booty to step it up a notch or stick to plan.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Carrots and hummus is pretty amazing Its not exactly fat-free, but its about 25 calories for a tablespoon. And its "healthy" fat.

I detest eating out nowadays. The sodium kicks my butt.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #8  

I really like going to the gym once I go. It's the going. Haha...and we seriously only go out to eat 2-3 times per week. It's just choosing where to go. He expressed interest tonight in starting P90X with me, so I think maybe he's finally getting back on the weight loss train. (Maybe he'll cook instead of taking me out?!) He got a new job in July and a new apartment and then he got a better job that he started last week, so I think there was too much change for him all at once. Now that he is back to Monday-Friday schedule and at a job he actually likes and is comfortable with/settled into his apartment, maybe he is ready to start again. Even if he's not, I've got to stay on track with myself regardless of what he is doing.

I've never tried hummus, but just like the weight is coming off slow and steady, I have to be slow and steady about trying new things. I am just such a picky eater...

The fat free ranch didn't bother me. I only put a little on it because I wanted to simultaneously make sure I was trying the carrot. Couldn't do it. It's vegetables that I get hung up on. I love all kinds of fruit. I love grilled chicken, grilled shrimp, lean beef or ground turkey, etc. I actually prefer wheat or whole grain. Everything is GOOD except for veggies. Why, world, why? Why can't I just like salad like the average person? Or even a piece of lettuce on a sandwich? Why?

lol...but seriously thanks for the tips and encouragement, ladies.