Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Diverticulitis, anyone?

An update to this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...-tmi-post.html

I have gone to the doctor and gotten the colonoscopy, I have diverticulitis. Now, I've read a little bit about this, but I never got a chance to talk to the doctor once everything was done cause I was really out of it, he talked to my dad, I was put in a wheelchair, and taken to the car.

Does anyone here have diverticulitis? What foods have you found aggravate it? Anything that might help it?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #2  

Corn is bad. Small seeds like sesame are normally bad. My husband has a hard time with those mostly. They get stuck in the little pouches and cause pain.

I'm glad you have it figured out though.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #3  

Default Are seeds really bad?

@shayla, I've seen the study (and you may have too) dispelling the common assertion that seeds & corn aggravate diverticulitis. So while doctors apparently are no longer telling DV patients to avoid nuts & seeds in their diet, I still regularly come across people who actually have diverticulitis who say they avoid those foods. Admittedly everyone is different, but I'm wondering - Has your husband been able to identify seeds as the culprit in his flare ups, or is it something he avoids based on possibly older advice from the doc.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if even though "they have a study", they got it wrong, and seeds really do cause flare ups.
Daneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #4  

No, they actually cause him to have flare ups. He also has to be careful when it comes to ground beef.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo View Post
@shayla, I've seen the study (and you may have too) dispelling the common assertion that seeds & corn aggravate diverticulitis. So while doctors apparently are no longer telling DV patients to avoid nuts & seeds in their diet, I still regularly come across people who actually have diverticulitis who say they avoid those foods. Admittedly everyone is different, but I'm wondering - Has your husband been able to identify seeds as the culprit in his flare ups, or is it something he avoids based on possibly older advice from the doc.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if even though "they have a study", they got it wrong, and seeds really do cause flare ups.
My doctor's papers told me to avoid popcorn, seeds, and nuts, and pretty much eat as much fiber as I can.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #6  

The study I read about was from 2008 in the Journal of the American Medical Association, & I found it through the Mayo Clinic site. It reported that people who ate popcorn had lower incidence of DV.
But it's hard to argue with personal proof & what on the surface at least seems to be pretty strong anecdotal evidence. I guess everyone needs to just find what works for them?
Daneo is offline   Reply With Quote