Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Easy Low-Cal Bread?

View Full Version : Easy Low-Cal Bread?

Shifterred
09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Ok.

For a while I was really keen on just dropping bread completely from my diet. Here's the thing, while I CAN do it...I really don't want to. I'm finding myself obsessing over bread.

My main problem isn't bread itself...it's the fact that I live alone and buying a whole loaf is incredibly dangerous. I'll eat the whole thing in one day when I really get going!

So I'm wondering about making my own lower calorie but super healthy bread (i.e, lots of whole grain goodness.) that I can make tiny batches of instead of huge loaves.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions? I'd like to be able to make small loaves or rolls. All I ask is that it be easy-ish to make and be reasonably altered for calories (I'm willing to splurge 300 calories on a roll, but that's it.)

Thanks, my loves! I'll be googling this, as well.

tommy
09-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Check out Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. I use her formula from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day on a regular basis with regular flour, though I have made it with King Arthur white whole wheat. The premise is that you mix up a VERY wet dough (no kneading), let rise, refrigerate, and use over a period of a week or two. It takes a bit of preplanning to take out the dough and let rise before baking. but that makes bread a special dish rather than a mindless accompaniment. You can also make just a single serving portion at a time which is what I do. The basic recipe I use is only flour, water, yeast and salt. I do not use any special equipment- just a good sheet pan and parchment paper. Good luck!