100 lb. Club - Whats your 1 weight loss tip

View Full Version : Whats your 1 weight loss tip

2feelbetter
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
As much as I love this board at times it is information overload.

What is your ONE SMALL TIP that you were easily able to do.

Example. I use to eat sausage egg biscuit for breakfast all the time.

Now I switched to special K and it's very easy to do.

I just joined a gym so I'm taking Aqua aerobics and Zumba ....Love it

I'm not ready to calorie count yet. I have to work up to that.

So what small change was easy for you to do?:carrot:

RobinD
09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Cutting everything that my genetic ancestors would not recognize as food. :)

time2lose
09-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Eat lots of vegetables.

FreeSpirit
09-24-2010, 06:26 PM
WATER!!!!!!! Make sure you drink enough water!!!

shamrockin32
09-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I gotta agree with the water comment. Like enough so that you're peeing at least once an hour.

runningfromfat
09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Cut out sugar. Ok, not really easy but it works!

shamrockin32
09-24-2010, 06:36 PM
No fast food or no soda...

ghost
09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
WATER, Yes! and, to find physical activity that you ENJOY. Its all well to say you'll run everyday but if you don't love it will you really do it consistently?

Shytowngal
09-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm with the water girls. DRINK WATER!

ewimsatt
09-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Cutting out fast food was the only major thing I did.

xty
09-24-2010, 07:13 PM
to be compassionate and forgiving with yourself.

we all fall prey at times to the negative self talk, to the "all or nothing" mentality, get frustrated when the pounds dont fly off as fast as we want, eat something crazy, dont workout for a week, etc.

each choice wont be perfect, but if i can forgive myself and not beat myself up so much, i can get back to my plan and my mission: healthy living for the rest of my life!

gumboot
09-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Exercise min 30 minutes a day

Teresa66
09-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Fat free half and half for my coffee. I don't get hydrogenated oil or saturated fat, which is a good thing. I also use it when I make cream sauces for pasta dishes and it taste great.

rockinrobin
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Quite honestly, one small thing was not what *I* needed to change. My eating was out of control, I was overfeeding myself. I was abusing my body in a big, gigantic way. I was super morbidly obese, meaning I stood a good chance of dying from my weight. My life was on the line and I was terrified. I was done being fat. Had had enough of it. I was done taking chances. Things had to change - lots of them. Drinking water alone was not going to get the weight off and save my life. It was the combination of many things that got the weight off for me.

You asked what easy thing could I change - well, initially none of it was easy. I had decades of bad habits and changing habits is not so easy.

But I wasn't really looking for easy. It didn't matter anymore to me how *hard* changing my habits would be, it HAD to be easier than living in a super morbidly obese body.

Anyway, when I got into it, it was actually a lot easier than I thought! Who knew?

My biggest single tip would be - plan ahead. Map out your food schedule in advance, knowing where each and every lick, bite, taste, crumb or sip is coming from and of course have those foods on hand.

Rochester
09-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER give up!

Eliana
09-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER give up!

Mine's like that.

The biggest secret to my success? A one year commitment to diet and exercise each and every day without any excuses NO MATTER WHAT for one year. (And of course once that year's up, you'll be fully entrenched in some great habits...but just focus on one year at a time.)

katy trail
09-24-2010, 09:02 PM
exercising a little or alot as consistently as you can. tracking everyday, if you did or didnt, and how many min. or more detail if you like.
that one was an important one for me.

listen to inside out weight loss podcast. its free. 1 episode at a time. do the mental hw for each one, one week at a time, or 1 month at a time. each person is different.

popspry
09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Eat foods you like. I don't like black beans so I don't force them down, I eat kidney beans which I find much more palatable. You should try new things but if I don't enjoy the food I eat, I won't stick with it.

fitkristi
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Cheat.

Yes, I said it. If I didn't allow "cheat days" or "cheat meals" into my life, I don't care HOW thin I get - because I'll be miserable! Remember that one meal didn't make you fat - thousands did.

renstwin
09-25-2010, 10:30 AM
My one tip: Make sure that whatever you do change, it is sustainable otherwise you will never stick with it for the long haul.

AZ Sunrises
09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Stand back up. It's life. You're going to stumble. There's no reason to stay on your face.

Shmead
09-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Every time you think "Well, I can't . . ." go back and rethink it. A lot of the time you can:

"Well, I can't not eat at Christmas/my birthday/my best friend's party/my mom's bar-b-q"

"Well, I can't just sit there at the restaurant and not eat . ."

"Well, I can't come home from a 12 hour day and exercise . . ."

"Well I can't give up chocolate/cheese/beer . . "

"Well, I can't just throw away this [fattening thing] someone gave me . . ."

There were so many things I used to think I just couldn't do, and every single one of them ended up being much easier than I thought.

The other version is "No one would blame me for . . ." Your body won't blame you, but it will hold onto/gain weight all the same.

Rosinante
09-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Water.
Planning.
Establishing an "I don't....." way of thinking:
My doctor advised me not to eat after 8pm.
The Food Doctor book I was reading advocated no starch carbs in the evening meal.
So I've combined the two and now make sure I eat my evening meal before 8, and that any carbs in it come from fruit or veg (not including potatoes).
I have absolutely no idea whether there is any lasting benefit in this but it is now just so automatic. "I don't .....do evening carbs and late meals". If nothing else, it encourages a disciplined mindset that helps with the other I don'ts ~ I don't drive to the outlying supermarkets, when a walk into the nearest one gives me minimum 30 minutes exercise; I don't eat sweets; I don't eat unexpected cakes; I don't estimate calories or carbs; I don't taste while I'm cooking; I don't eat what I don't pre-log. To me it doesn't feel negative, all the I don'ts give me huge freedom for all the I dos!

ChrissyBean
09-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Find ONE form of exercise that you can ideally love, or at least tolerate. For me, that was discovering Zumba and beginning a long-lasting affair with my treadmill.

I'm on the DL with a busted toe right now, and I'm going NUTS!

Hiya
09-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Two little words:

portion. control.

rockinrobin
09-25-2010, 11:53 AM
My one tip: Make sure that whatever you do change, it is sustainable otherwise you will never stick with it for the long haul.

I'd take this a step further and say, your changes should be not something necessarily that you can sustain (because of course we can), but that you are WILLING to sustain. Willing. It's all in the willingness. Changes have to occur and we have to be willing to stick with them. We have to make them stick.

mkendrick
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Do and eat what you want in a modified way.

In other words, compromise with yourself so you're not giving up your old habits or old favorites, just accept that old habits will have to be tweaked, old favorites will have to be changed and substituted a bit, or maybe just as rare treats.

For example, what got me fat is night time snacking, junk food (pizza and Chinese buffet being the number one suspects) and my love affair with sweets. But you know what? I never had to give any of that up. I still enjoy my favorite foods and I still let myself snack in the evenings, but I have changed some crucial things.

I night time snack, but instead of eating fourth and fifth big meals, I plan and save my calories until the evening. And instead of eating absolute junk, I plan healthy snacks.

I refuse to give up pizza and Chinese food, but instead of biweekly meals, they're VERY rare planned treats, and yes, I do throw caution to the wind and indulge myself on those rare occasions.

I still love and enjoy sweets, but instead of making a batch of cookies and eating it all myself or eating half a pan of cake, I've found substitutes. I eat oatmeal everyday, and it always feels like a dessert to me. Oatmeal with cinnamon and splenda, oatmeal with sugar free chocolate syrup, oatmeal with fat free yogurt and fruit.

So I still indulge myself in the lifestyle that is fun and pleasant for me. But I've compromised with myself to make it a healthier lifestyle that allows me to maintain my weight without feeling deprived.

Terre
09-25-2010, 12:20 PM
water

no white flour...switched to wheat. (breads, pasta, tortillias)

Move...just get up and do something

on sugar...I switch to sugar free products

lots of FRESH fruit and veggies

calluna
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
If it will hold still, track it.

Okay, not quite that dramatic, but I find that tracking exercise, food intake, weight, and measurements is invaluable. Data don't lie.

60lbstogo
09-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Eat protein in each meal of the day. :)

stacygee
09-25-2010, 01:12 PM
When I feel munchies I down a Crystal Light on the go! Really fast! It fills my tummy and astes good!

synger
09-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Keep the long haul in mind, but focus primarily on the day-to-day disciplines of staying on plan. The weight WILL come off, if you work your plan.

Rosinante
09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Don't be afraid to feed things to the dog (without making it too fat of course!)
Tonight I've shared some Swedish meatballs with my 4 hounds ~ they were so good, I could have munched them all at a sitting. They were a first time purchase, so I wasn't expecting them to be so moreish!

lovemyboy
09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
For me it is flexibility.

I don't mean flexibility to eat garbage and sit on the sofa. I mean do what you need to do to keep going, to not quit.

In the past I'd come upwith a plan and as soon as there was a problem with the plan I'd quit and gain back the weight. Allow yourself to tweak your plan or switch plans to something that works better for you because quitting is not an option.

dragonwoman64
09-25-2010, 05:59 PM
lots of good tips here.

I'd say keep in mind that something that may feel hard now, like exercise or eating, WILL get easier. things change, your taste in food will change as you continue on, your outlook will change. It's a fluid process.

In the beginning for me, eating more veggies and salads felt like a struggle, I felt deprived feeling like I had to do without certain foods I love. The word is DEPRIVATION. But really, it's all about management, and finding new foods, changing taste buds and choosing health over OVER indulgence. I'm not perfect, no question about it, and I have a ways to go. But that's something I've learned.

Same with exercise. I started out walking 6 short blocks and back for ALL my exercise, tried to do it every day. Now I go to the gym (something I thought I'd never do).

One easy tip to begin with, to directly answer your q, keep foods out of the reach of your arm that you know you can't resist eating too much of, and keep stuff that works for your food plan that you enjoy around for when you're hungry.

2feelbetter
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
i just remembered another tip. Istarted using SELECT BREAD by Arnold when I makea sandwich. They're also good if you have a burger.

The package calls them sandwich thins. A lot of the bread companies make them now. They are round thin slices of bread and only 100 calories.
if you haven't tried them yet pick up a package they come in different varieties

Rosinante
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Buy good quality scales - bathroom and kitchen. They make me feel I'm taking this seriously. (I started with old, freebie kitchen scales and saved up - it made a change from just eating my money!)

hhichick
09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
If you bite it, write it.

You don't have to be calorie counting to journal - and the accountability of writing it down can't be overestimated.

2feelbetter
02-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I've started weighing myself almost every day. I find that it holds me more accountable.

JLNichols07
02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Set mini-goals.

reptogirl
02-06-2011, 11:14 PM
do not let yourself feel deprived if you do, you wont stick with it, at least i wont

drink lots of water, if you can't drink it plain, the walmart generic crystal light is soo good especially the fruit punch, taste like koolaid

find some fruit and veggies that you love

if you eat something you think you shouldn't don't let it play with your head, get back on track, i had chinese food last week, it was my planned cheat meal..okay i ate a lot..buffet..... i still lost weight..

okay this isn't one...but one is impossible..
and have a great support system. aka 3fc, join a challenge for accountability, start a blog etc....

Arctic Mama
02-06-2011, 11:40 PM
My single biggest weightloss tip?

Don't quit.

Bunti
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Tweak things to make them work for you. All of these tips can work. Find the way to make them work for you.

Pay special attention to those who have lost weight and kept it off. Their wisdom is priceless.

ParadiseFalls
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree with everyone who said water. It's almost comical how much faster I lose when I drink 70-100oz a day, considering how long I've spent avoiding water convinced that diet soda was a sufficient replacement. :p

Lizz
02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Eat only half of the amount you *think* of as a regular portion. Leave the rest. It is not wasting food, it is gaining health and it will be enough.

HappyChick86
02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
If you crave chocolate..instead of diving right in..when you have your 8 oz of milk for dinner add a little bit of chocolate syrup to help the craving but more healthier.

Also cut out all soda. Try lemon water.

Slim CB
02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Cut out juice and soda and replace with water

alsten02
02-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Mints + mouthwash I love using to beat cravings ..and drinking herbal tea in evening..nights are hardest for me

Jacki73
02-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Treadmill 30 mins a day.

joyfulloser
02-08-2011, 07:35 AM
STOP....MAKING....EXCUSES...period.

Toonses
02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
The following have worked for me:

1. Drink a lot of water
2. Do not eat when bored! Get up and move or drink some water.
3. NO FAST FOOD
4. Eat a lot of veggies and fruit (try new varieties)
5. Exercise daily (I spread my work outs throughout the day. Walk at lunch and work out when I get home in evening)
6. Watch you calories (it really does work)
7. Set goals (both mini and long-term)
8. Treat yourself when you reach goal (non-food rewards)
9. Make yourself number 1 (that was the toughest for me)
10. Be consistent (push yourself when the going gets tough)

I know some of these are no brainers, but this is what has worked for me. Look I was 103 pounds overweight when I started seriously working on getting myself healthy. It is tough, hard work. But once you start you feel so much better especially when you see your results. I am only 46 pounds from my goal weight so something must be working.

JoJoJo2
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Be persistent. Don't ever give up. Just keep on keeping on.

MzHopeful
02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I know its already been said, BUT WATER! lol :)

2feelbetter
02-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Wow drinking water must be a really big thing. I can't believe how many people have said it.

I stopped drinking sodas years ago. I do however have one every now and again. I feel like a commercial I saw once when the wife and the husband gave up soda and he lost weight and she didn't. Giving up soda has done nothing for me. I drink water in my car, for lunch and I keep a bottle by my bed all the time. NOT A POUND LOL

How much water are we talking about.

carter
02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
If I tried to boil everything I do down to one tip, it would be this:

Make the best choice you can every time you are faced with a choice.

The choices I make regularly include:
* Choosing to spend time on the weekends shopping and cooking so that I have healthy snacks in the house and planned leftovers for my weeknight dinners
* Choosing to make sure I have lots of fruit in my office so I am not tempted to hit the vending machine
* Choosing to drag my butt to the gym after work, even when I'd rather just go home
* Choosing to pass on the rice or the bread at dinner, even if I'm serving them to my partner, and choosing not to eat seconds even though dinner tastes good and is fun to eat
* When we go out to dinner, choosing to drink 0-1 martinis instead of 1-2, choosing to order fish instead of steak frites, etc.

These choices hint at more detailed parts of my plan - but generalizing all of that into one tip, it becomes a matter of making many individual choices as well as I can, including putting some planning and effort into setting myself up to always have good choices available.

mflaig
02-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Shake your butt and have fun doing it...:carrot:

TamiL
02-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Forgive yourself when you screw up and get back on track right away!

CutieCourt
02-12-2011, 06:33 PM
to be compassionate and forgiving with yourself.

we all fall prey at times to the negative self talk, to the "all or nothing" mentality, get frustrated when the pounds dont fly off as fast as we want, eat something crazy, dont workout for a week, etc.

each choice wont be perfect, but if i can forgive myself and not beat myself up so much, i can get back to my plan and my mission: healthy living for the rest of my life!

This was the best advice ever and I can agree with it 100%. No one ever said losing weight was easy. It really is a "life style" change. One day it clicked for me....I was stuck in diet mode. Sometimes i lose sight, but have to remember its LIFE, not just right now.

timkerbelle
02-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Forgive yourself when you screw up and get back on track right away!

I agree with this so much!

Countless are the times I have kept making bad choices because "I suck anyway" or "I might as well since I've already messed it up"

darway
02-13-2011, 09:34 AM
One thing?
Just one?
Really?

Then it's have to be "avoid prepared food".

That encompasses boxed microwave dinners, cans of ravioli, canned soup (you can make your own very easily). Chips, cookies, candy, yadda yadda ...

That means all forms of "fast food" and nearly almost all "eating out" as well. Eating out is expensive anyway, and the difference it makes on your savings is noticable!

I think this one principle has made the biggest difference for me. It reduces salt, preservatives, oils, high fructose corn syrup, and various artifical gunk. It forces me to substitute more real food that inherently has better ingredients and more fiber.

I do still "eat out" for lunch - but I'll cut that out too, if my progress stalls.