100 lb. Club - McIntosh Apples

View Full Version : McIntosh Apples

Onederchic
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a bag of them. What is something quick, easy and cheap I can do with them in bulk?

Thanks in advance.

Hugs
Michelle

Beverlyjoy
09-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Applesauce or baked apples...

Vladadog
09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
apple crisp with whole wheat flour and oatmeal.

Onederchic
09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks y'all :D

ChrissyBean
09-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, they make a GREAT crisp. Nice and tart.

catie b
09-24-2010, 06:18 PM
This is not really in bulk unless you are going to a bbq or tailgating, but I have sliced apples, sprinkled them with cinnamon, then grilled and drizzled with honey. It is a great low cal treat!

Onederchic
09-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Judy Lynn
09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
We had a ton of apples from our tree this year. I chopped them up, added Slenda and cinnamon and microwaved just until soft. Then I froze them in individual containers. Delish topped with vanilla yogurt.

time2lose
09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Onederchic,

Just wondering......What did you do and how did it turn out?

Onederchic
09-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I haven't done anything yet but tomorrow my plan is to slice em and bake em in the oven with some brown sugar and cinnamon :o :D And possibly top with some frozen yogurt or fat free cool whip :p :D

rockinrobin
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I like using sugar free maple syrup for baking apples, sprinkled with a little cinnamon, a bit of chopped walnuts and a few raisins or craisins...

mandalinn82
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Or peel, chop, put in your crockpot, and make/freeze apple butter. MMM, apple butter.

Onederchic
09-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Or peel, chop, put in your crockpot, and make/freeze apple butter. MMM, apple butter.

Interesting, Amanda. Do I need to add anything else?

katy trail
09-27-2010, 04:37 PM
ooo apple butter. i second apple butter. i'll never replicate grandma's apple butter. she says she didnt put any sugar in it. i bet it would be great with allspice.
i love apples,allspice,vanilla in oatmeal. great muffins too if oatmeal isnt your thing.

lovemyboy
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I love apple season. I make unsweetened applesauce and freeze it. It is way better than anything in the store. Apple crisp sounds good. I wonder if there is a way to make it with apple juice or agave or something instead of brown sugar. Hmmmm....

Rochester
09-27-2010, 10:47 PM
I wonder if there is a way to make it with apple juice or agave or something instead of brown sugar. Hmmmm....

I've made it with date sugar (a natural sweetener) in place of brown sugar.

Cut 1 large apple in cubes; place in ramekin. Melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in 2 tablespoons wheat flour, 1 tablespoon date sugar, pinch of cinnamon and cloves, and a few pecan pieces. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples. Bake 350 for 20-30 minutes.

Not real low cal or low sugar, but it IS all natural.

kaplods
09-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I like apples best raw. In fact, I'm not much of a cooked apple fan unless they're baked into a pie/crumble/cobbler and served warm, with ice cream (and even then I find it "edible" rather than delicious).

For fresh apples, I somtimes would add a smear of peanut butter or Nutella to raw apple slices or make an apple salad (I'd core and cut a bunch of apples into chunks and stir in Cool Whip and one crushed Skor or Heath Bar). If you use a lot of apples, and one of the lower calorie Cool Whip varieties (like the Cool Whip free) the calorie count is pretty reasonable.

Mostly I just eat them raw though, and if you have the refrigeratior space most apple varieties (especially if they're crisp to begin with) last a really long time (weeks to months) in the fridge. Even longer in the "green bags."

I just bought a 5 lb bag of Honey Crisp apples, and I put the whole bag on the bottom shelf of the fridge. They'll last at least a month (or at least they would in theory, I'll eat them all long before they start to get soft).

Windchime
09-28-2010, 02:08 AM
McIntosh apples are a little tart for eating raw. They're an old-fashioned apple, kind of like a Jonathan. I love them baked, in a pie or in a crisp and they make awesome sauce. I am guessing they would make really good applebutter, too, as another poster suggested.

Onederchic
09-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions ♥