Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What Ingredient Do You Refuse To Use??

AnnieDrews
09-24-2010, 02:32 PM
:DLet's have fun! List a cooking ingredient that you refuse to use, whether you are cooking healthy or not.

Mine is Cream of Mushroom Soup.....ugh. I really hate the taste of it. I was perusing slow cooker recipes and so many of them call for the old C of M. I have found that substituting Cream of Chicken (you can use the lighter versions) or Cream of Celery, if a cream soup is called for, make things taste really good. I've actually also learned to make my own white and/or cheese sauces.

MadameZombie
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Ketchup. Not that it's healthy but I just... can't use it in anything.

GreenTeaYum
09-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh thank you! I am not the only person who loathes Cream of Mushroom. I always substitute with Cream of Chicken or the cheese one, depending on what I'm making.

Mine is asparagus. I hate it. I have a bunch of recipe cards that call for it in some way or another, but I just can't do it.

shcirerf
09-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Crisco! Gag!

As a sub for the C of M soup, I often use ff sour cream and add my own seasoning, or ff cream cheese.

punkrprincessa
09-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Olive oil. I know its good fat, but I cant stand the thought of using a tenth of my days calories on a tablespoon of the stuff just to cook my food. I could do so much more with those 120 calories!

BlueToBlue
09-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Sour cream -- I don't really have anything against it, it's just that most recipes call for a very small amount and then I'm left with the huge container of sour cream that I don't have any use for. I usually substitute Greek yogurt or just make a different recipe.

Peas -- I just don't like 'em, so I'll usually substitute another vegetable (but not always--I do like split pea soup and I have a recipe for a sweat pea cream sauce that I really enjoy).

mkendrick
09-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Ahhh, punkrprincessa, you beat me to olive oil :) I feel the same way, I'd rather have 120 calories of salmon or avocado or even nuts to get my healthy fats.

Another one is bacon. Even before I was aware of calories and trying to lose weight. People put bacon in everything, it's like America's drug. I think bacon is alright, but I don't need it to be in all my food. Especially now that I'm calorie conscious, I feel like I'm always leaving bacon out of recipes when I'm modifying them to fit my plan.

Hmm, what else...oh, egg yolks. I almost always just use egg whites when recipes call for an egg. Same thing with olive oil, I don't need to use the calories on the yolk when the whites get the job done just as well, in my opinion.

I'm sure there are others. I "modify" most recipes pretty heavily to suit my preferences and to fit in my plan.

Hyacinth
09-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I refuse to use Crisco, corn syrup, artificial sweetener, margarine ... and blue, I have the same issue with sour cream. Good call on substituting Greek yogurt!

Jojo381972
09-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Sugar for me! I don't use sugar to add on anything. I tend to use splenda for most things and even then I hardly add any extra sugar. I'm just trying to cut it out, because I believe most foods have sugar to begin with. I don't drink regular soft drinks either. I know aspartame is not the best for me either, so I try not to drink many diet soft drinks.

AnnieDrews
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Had to pass this on....unbelievable!! How's this for irony??

After starting this thread on Friday, I left and went out to my fiance's house for the weekend where we were attending a memorial for a close friend. Departed friend's son wanted to cook dinner for everyone and guess what he made?? Smothered pork chops in Cream of Mushroom Soup, topped with french fried onions (an ingredient I almost listed as my second least favorite). It was too funny!! But I ate the meal that he so kindly prepared for us and raved to him how delicious it was.

annie175
09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Cilantro...i can't stand it.

mandalinn82
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Annie175 - there appears to be a genetic link to how you feel about cilantro. Twin studies have shown that 80+% of identical twins feel the same way about cilantro (they love it or they hate it), but only 45 or so percent of fraternal twins feel the same way. I'm a hater, too (as was Julia Child!).

AnnieDrews
09-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Sacrilege!;) I'm a cilantro LOVER and proud!! It's either love it or hate it with that herb.

ebenz315
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I hate cilantro! HATE IT! One thing I refuse to eat is caviar. Luckily, none of my recipes have called for it so far ;)

Mikkijoe
09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Just how long can this list be?
Sugar, any form
Artificial Sweetners
Corn products, any form
Wheat
Grains
Beans and legumes
Frankenfoods

Never felt better! weight is coming off steady, for my entire family, we eat meat, eggs, veggies--heavy on green leafy, fruits--heavy on berries, occational nuts, butter, coconut milk and all coconut unsweetend parts, occational full fat dairy products like sour cream, or cottage cheese,

Karen925
09-27-2010, 05:59 PM
My mother doesn't like cilantro either but eats it in Mexican food.

damngina
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Love this thread!

I refuse to use artificial sweeteners, except for the occasional Diet Coke. Hate the taste of "sugar-free" anything so i'd rather eat less of the real thing than lots of the fake. Fortunately, I'm not a sugar addict.

Refuse to use fat-free cheese and most soy products as well.

JenMusic
09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh my goodness, I love cilantro. One of my dear friends is a cilantro hater, and when she makes homemade salsa she actually gives me a separate dish of chopped cilantro to add to my portion. I never asked her to do that, she just does. Now THAT'S a good friend. :)

I hate, and have always hated, mustard in any form. It's a bummer since it's so flavorful and low-cal, but I can't stand it, even when used in recipes.

ANOther
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Hard. Boiled. Egg.

Truth to tell I don't cook all that much (long hours at work, no time; I live with my mom, she's in her late 80s and does way less from-scratch cooking than formerly), but once in a while somebody gives my mom a container of potato salad left over from a picnic or dinner, and I cringe because most home-made potato salads have h b e. (Fortunately the last container she got, the h b e was sliced and arranged on the top, so I could work my way around it.) So if ever I do cook, and the recipe calls for h b e, I'll take a pass on it, thanks. I've ALWAYS hated hard-boiled egg, same goes for fried; used to like soft-boiled when I was little but don't like it any more. The mouthfeel of the solidified white squicks me. But lately I've been getting a taste for scrambled egg, or more precisely scrambled Egg Beaters

rockinrobin
09-29-2010, 06:32 AM
I like cilantro, though don't love it.

I can't/won't cook with butter or use it for that matter. I was never a huge fan, but now, uggh, just - blech.

Sour cream, cream cheese - same as above.

Also on my no list - cottage cheese, fennel, anise.

And I won't use those cream of anything soups. Do they even qualify as an ingredient?????

I'm sure there's more, but that's what immediately comes to mind.

MaryOjo
09-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Mine's sugar. Not that i don't like it but i can do without it so my philosophy is do without it to keep that aspect of weight off

evilwomaniamshe
09-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Another cilantro hater, bleh it tastes like SOAP to me, nasty and the smell of it even, can't get it that far up to my nose, let alone mouth. NASTY!

Another one that won't use olive oil, I prefer my fat cals in olives, almonds, nut butter, peanut butter etc.

All artificial sweeteners

Bombe
09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I can totally relate to the Cream of Mushroom soup but for me that extends to ALL condensed cream soups, I can't stand any of them! They all just taste so fake and seeing the glop makes my stomach turn!

If you had started this post a couple of months ago I would have definitely said curry, I've hated curry flavor for as long as I can remember....however in the past couple of months I've had it twice, and kinda liked it :o

I hate fennel, goat cheese, lamb and olives. ICK!

P.S. Cilantro is one of my favorite ingredients!!!

Windchime
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Green beans. I must have had a bad childhood experience, because just the smell of them causes a gag reflex.

Add me to the list of mustard haters. Too strong and overpowering. Same thing with cauliflower. It smells so strong and nasty, I don't understand how people can actually eat it!

JayLei
09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm in on the green bean hating... too many canned ones as a kid.

I also won't use reduced fat cheese (just pretty much gave up the real stuff), mayonnaise and celery

I have an odd deal with cottage cheese too. I love the dry small curd stuff made by Knudsen, but it's nearly impossible to get up here. When the stores have it, I make it worth their while. Every other brand is pretty unpalatable to me, soupy, rubbery... eww. I keep thinking I should try to make it myself.

ashley nicole
09-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Another cilantro hater, bleh it tastes like SOAP to me, nasty and the smell of it even, can't get it that far up to my nose, let alone mouth. NASTY!

YES! It DOES taste like soap. Blech! I'm really okay with a LITTLE bit...if it's chopped up REALLY fine in some salsa. But if I notice it's in there, that's it. I can't do it. Blech

I refuse to eat anything that's even touched a cucumber (but I love pickles. Go figure).

tommy
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
My understanding is that the cilantro tasting like soap is a genetic thing. It really does taste horrid to some peeps

Ursula745
09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Any artificial sweetener besides stevia or xylitol. No sucralose (splenda), aspartame (nutrasweet), or saccharin.

westernsoutherngirl
09-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Hmmm - I hate tuna! Just cannot even stand the thought of it!

But

westernsoutherngirl
09-29-2010, 11:45 PM
BUT (don't know what happened to my post) I love:

green beans and cilantro!
And I love shrimp, raw oysters (actually prepared anyway), calamari but no fish and really really really not tuna!

LindseyLou
09-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Mushrooms, Seafood of any kind, Avocado, Asparagus, Bleu Cheese! Yuck!

Obsidianbbw
09-30-2010, 06:35 AM
No cream of anything soup. I might eat a broccoli one, but that's like once a decade and I never buy it.

No ginger - I had a few bad experiences with it when I was younger that I can't see to move past

No cottage cheese - I think the way it looks weirds me out and i am just never motivated enough to move past it.

Jelma
09-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Shrimp, I cannot stand the things. The texture is like a eating a finger, not that I've eaten a finger but that is always what I think of... I even try it a couple times a year just to make sure I still hate it.

Besides that, I avoid all pork products, gelatin and artficial sweetners.

MissKoo
09-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Shrimp, I cannot stand the things. The texture is like a eating a finger,:lol: not that I've eaten a finger :rofl: but that is always what I think of... I even try it a couple times a year just to make sure I still hate it.

That is SO funny! A finger? How am I going to enjoy going out to dinner tomorrow night! Going to the Crab Shack and I always always always have my shrimp cocktail. Ewwww.

That said, my list of no-nos include:
ketchup
crisco (or lard)
schmaltz (chicken fat) even tho' it's yummy in my grandma's food
cream of mushroom (double yuck blobs of unknowable icky)
licorice or star anise
curry (used to love it - now it makes me gag)
bright yellow mustard
fat-free cheese - disgusting!!!

I do love cilantro, tho!

4star
09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Only 2 come to mind as foods I hate but there are 2 for sure. The first is brussel sprouts b/c I don't like the bitterness. The second is mint chocolate chip ice cream, hate it. It's like someone threw some perfectly good chocolate chunks in frozen mylanta. I like mint and I like chocolate chip but not together, yuck! :p

I won't use:
crisco unless it's for making some sort of frosting hold together
hazelnuts- not a big fan of them
most stuff with high fructose corn syrup b/c it tends to aggravate my acid reflux
also not a fan of most low fat cheeses or low fat sour cream

Diana3271
10-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Hmmm - I hate tuna! Just cannot even stand the thought of it!

I have this weird thing with tuna. :o I even hate the thought of tuna salad/tuna sandwich. Total GAG! I have never eaten either of those and don't plan to. But . . . I like tuna noodle casserole and I will also eat fresh grilled tuna. Go figure. I actually didn't realize that my fresh grilled tuna was the same fish as what's in the can. Yuck!

AnnieDrews
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Okay, it's a tie for the post that made me laugh the most....

Jelma-The "finger" comment made me laugh!

....but so did......

4star-"It's like someone threw some perfectly good chocolate chunks in frozen mylanta."

This is a fun thread!!:D

grneyedmustang
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Hee hee hee. I thought I was the only one who thinks cilantro smells like soap. I love it though. :)

Mine are eggs. I use them to cook with (a lot)...but I don't like them. Boiled, scrambled, fried, omeletted, ugh. Don't like them at all.

Cottage cheese. Looks like throw up to me.

Ketchup. And what's funny about ketchup - I LOVE tomatoes. If I get something with ketchup already on it, I will take it back.

Serval87
10-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Ketchup. Not that it's healthy but I just... can't use it in anything.

I despise ketchup. the taste ... the smell. When I was in my health class in high school we had to wear doctor attire, and the teacher wanted to simulate blood on us, so we would have to take the gown and gloves off properly (so as not to contaminate our hands). Well, anyway, she squirted a huge gob of ketchup on me, and I nearly got sick. I jerked the gown off so fast that I tore it, and flung my gloves off (spraying ketchup on her). lol.

Yeah, as you can tell, I failed that test.

I also HATE olives. They seriously gross me out. I can stand olive oil, though. Sometimes I take a spell were certain fish make my gag reflex come out, and if the white part of an egg is watery that grosses me out, so I'm not the biggest egg person unless they are hard boiled, fried, or egg in a basket. I'm also not a fan of condensed cream soup even though my mother makes this "hamburger casserole" that I've been eating since I was little. Sometimes it grosses me out a little, because it's like a glob of cream of mushroom, cream of chicken soup, ground hamburger, cheddar cheese, and crunchy fried onions. :( I eat it so I don't hurt her feelings. She hurts a lot, and she's always nice to let my husband and I eat over when we have run out of groceries, so I eat whatever she cooks without complaint.

Oh, yeah. I also hate meatloaf (another thing my mom makes).

But ... I LOVE cilantro. YUM!

Hyacinth
10-02-2010, 10:16 AM
a glob of cream of mushroom, cream of chicken soup, ground hamburger, cheddar cheese, and crunchy fried onions.

This is exactly what my stepmother would make. Her whole family believed that dinner came from boxes and cans, and very rarely made meals with fresh vegetables. Kind of a 1960s suburban housewife mentality.

I can't do sashimi or undercooked/raw fresh tuna. The texture reminds me of a slug, and the taste does nothing for me either.

I also can't do runny eggs or soft yolks.

Wildflower
10-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Mayonnaise. I can't stand the smell or the taste and I won't touch it. If my food comes with it, I will send it back. And I won't allow it in my fridge. I've had a total mayo aversion since I was a child!

Corn Syrup, it doesn't gross me out as much and I realize I consume it occasionally in the odd piece of candy, etc. But I won't keep it in my house and if a recipe calls for it I will use maple syrup.

Meat, I can't stand the look of it raw and haven't been able to eat it for 15 years. If others want to eat it, I don't care. We have it in our house occasionally, but I won't eat it.

Serval87
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Hyacinth: I forgot to include that there are tater tots in it too, but it probably doesn't help matters much.

Wildflower: With your aversion to meat, you would have been totally grossed out if you were in my shoes Saturday. I helped my parents cut up their freshly (grass-fed) butchered cow. It was HARD work. I bet I cut nearly nonstop for 3 hours.

jefferzzzz
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I hate bleu cheese, yuck! Also can't stand onions unless they are WELL cooked in say spaghetti or something similar. I also second the mint ice cream, I can't stand mint!

I do like a little cilantro in my homeade salsa. Most people overuse it and it overpowers everything. I think that's why most people hate it, have not had it prepared correctly.

lunameower
10-09-2010, 01:20 AM
That's really funny, because I hate cilantro, too, and I totally think that it tastes like soap. I remember when I didn't know what it was and would be eating some salsa at some Mexican restaurant, I'd complain to whoever I was with that something didn't taste right, but they'd act like I was nuts, they liked it.
Anyway, also for me is anything with licorice flavor, so no anise or fennel for me, I hate licorice and I always hated it when I'd be eating sausage with anise and it would taste like licorice.

AnnieDrews
10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Lunameower-I dislike licorice, too so I have never tried using fennel seeds or fresh fennel nor anise. Bleh.

Beverlyjoy
10-13-2010, 05:27 PM
cilantro
egg yolks
really hot peppers
raw onions (give me heartburn) - cooked ones are fine
avacado

I don't mind lite cream of mushroom soup.