Exercise! - Who do you see about a bad knee?

View Full Version : Who do you see about a bad knee?

09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but I'm not sure what doctor to go to for my knee hurting after running. We're new to our area and actually will be moving again soon so we don't have a general practitioner but I can see a specialist without a referral anyways. I'm flat footed and I'm sure that doesn't help but I'm not sure if I should go to a sports medicine doctor? a podiatrist? chiropractor? I feel silly asking but I really don't know!

09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Depends on your symptoms. Likely an orthopedist.

09-22-2010, 08:10 PM
It may be worthwhile to see your general practitioner. When I was having knee problems, my general practitioner ordered an MRI and they were able to see what was wrong and, because there was actually a problem, I went to the orthopedic surgeon from there. I personally preferred to go this route because if it had been nothing, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see a specialist and find that out, and because there was something there, I knew I was seeing the right kind of specialist for my problem. Good luck, knee pain is no fun!