100 lb. Club - What can you do NOW that you couldnt when you started your journey?

Matilda08
09-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Ive been thinking about all the positive changes I have made since starting this journey and to be honest Im pretty darn proud of myself because I never thought that Id be into working out PERIOD! It has taken me a little long to make goal since its been a lot harder for me to get the diet end of things under control, however Im still proud that I havent given up.

For starters I can do the elliptical machine for 90mins and when I started I couldnt last ten minutes. I can also take step class with one level up on the step and the class is 60mins. Above all I have been working out consistantly for over a year. 7/17/09 was the exact date I joined the gym and have been working out since and to be honest Ive developed a love for working out and I never knew it was there. I feel so good after I work out and I know this journey can do nothing but get better.

joyc21
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I can run for miles without stopping.

LacieRene
09-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I can walk up my stairs with arm fulls of groceries without getting winded and dizzy.

brn2bthn
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Okay, joined the gym roughly 4 years ago..couldn't do SPIN longer than 5 min...now I'm there for whole hour;can do elliptical for like forever; I can jog for 5 min straight before having to walk; I can do inclines on the treadmill of 10-20% at a speed of 3.0-3.1 (these are part of my Cardio Coach Interval Training and only done for 1-2 min at a time). :carrot:

SCraver
09-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I can CROSS MY LEGS!!

And I can run a mile in 10 mins (6mph pace) (though, I have to push myself pretty hard). I can run at a 5 mph pace for 30 mins without stopping.

I can go up stairs easily.

gottadoit2010
09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I can walk/jog 2 miles in 31 minutes! I never knew I could jog...but I have started to add it to my daily routine.

beerab
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
I can bend over and tie my shoes AND still breathe!

I can actually RUN now- it's AMAZING!

fitkristi
09-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I can play with my kids without huffing and puffing.

Matilda08
09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
I can also do a cycling class for 30mins without feeling like im going to DIE :)

sept15lija
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I can get on the floor and play with my kids much more easily, I can climb on playground structures and go down slides and sit on swings without worry....I can do much more housework without getting tired (I don't know if that's a good one or not ;)).

ChrissyBean
09-17-2010, 02:14 PM
LOL I still can't last more than 10 mins on the elliptical (aka El Diablo)!!

I can cross my legs. I can buy "normal" clothes, stuff that I *like* not just stuff that happens to fit.

Thighs Be Gone
09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I can do SOOO many things now. I cannot begin to list. The most notable is being able to run several miles at a time.

Cherry in STL
09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Go up a flight or two of stairs with ease.

Enjoy buying clothes a little more as I'm no longer at the top end of the plus sizes.

Lnoelparis
09-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I can run for half a mile non-stop and before I couldn't even walk for 30 minutes at a 3.5 mph pace without huffing and puffing!

I can bend down and touch my toes without my fat belly getting in the way- I cant wait till I can put my hands flat on the floor!

I can turn down sweets with conviction now! Before I would just give in and not give it a second thought!

caryesings
09-17-2010, 02:47 PM
One I didn't expect - wear high heels again. I hadn't put it together in my head that the reason heels hurt so much was the extra weight until someone listed "wearing high heels" as something they were looking forward to. I've been having to buy new shoes because even my feet shrank, and every new pair has 2-3 inch heel. I know not towering as far as fashion standards go, but feels amazing to me (and I think my feet would hurt if I went any higher).

Lori Bell
09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I can shop for clothes at every single store at our nearest mall except 2...ironically these WERE the only 2 stores I could shop at in the beginning.

I can go into Home Depot or Lowes and be asked 6 to 10 times if I "need help with something". Previously I was invisible.

I can get up and do chores, make breakfast, clean up, start some laundry, scrub a toilet, take out the trash, go water garden/animals, feed animals, change laundry, pay some bills, spray/chop and pull some weeds, make lunch, clean up, take a 6 mile hike with my son and then come home and push mow for a couple hours, then go inside and make supper, clean up, help with home work, do a couple more loads of laundry, sweep the floor, iron a few shirts, sew on a button, change a light bulb, then shower, brush, floss, moisturize, and crash for 8 hours. Previously...well, I made sure we ate and slept and watched TV and had plenty of computer time...lol

saef
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
I can cook so many things. I really wasn't much of a cook before I started this whole "eating healthier" thing.

I can run a 5K without stopping.

I can walk out of a dressing room with a smile on my face and tell the attendant, "I'll take all of these."

I can tie my shoe in mid-air while standing on one foot.

I can swim using four different strokes.

I can make some men look after me when I walk by them in the street, even if we're not acquainted.

I can look forward to blood test results with curiosity rather than dread, & a with sense of competitiveness with myself -- can I make the numbers go even lower/better?

Eliana
09-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I can spin with heavy resistance. :D

I can run...period. And I can run up to four miles and could probably go further but have no desire to try. ;)

I can do yard work!!!

Lori Bell
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Oh yeah Cary....SHOES!!!! I had to buy all new shoes too and every single pair has a heel of at least 2 inches, most 3" several 4".

And Saef.. .Shopping! Not only can I out-shop (in heels ;)), ALL my friends and family (as far as endurance), I also have a terrible time deciding on what I don't really need out of 10 outfits I just tried on. It used to be maybe one out of the 10 fit, now they all fit and I want them ALL, but how many skirts and dress slacks does a farm girl need?? :lol:

I went shopping in Lincoln yesterday with a girlfriend, so all this shopping business is still so fresh and lovely in my mind!

Rosinante
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I can run for the little green man on the crossing, instead of holding back.

I can have fun buying clothes, knowing that even if I try on things that don't fit me Yet, I can also find great things that do.

I can take my foot to the podiatrist for treatment, without feeling ashamed that part of the problem is weight related; and I can get up on his couch without getting breathless.

Cleophas
09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
I can cook! I didn't know I could do that, I'm trying so many new recipes it's untrue. So excited :D

Slim CB
09-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I can walk out of a dressing room with a smile on my face and tell the attendant, "I'll take all of these."

I love this....I had the same experience recently where I carried like 10 items into the dressing room, all of them fit, and the attendant was in shock and awe!

Oboegal
09-17-2010, 06:07 PM
I can sit comfortably in a theater seat, airline seat, or classroom combined desk/chair. I can also sit in the audience for a performance for an extended period of time without needing to straighten my legs. It used to be that, if I kept my right knee bent for more than half an hour or so, it would get intensely uncomfortable, and I would almost literally have to stretch it whether there was space available or not.

ubergirl
09-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow. So many things.

I can walk five or six flights of stairs in the parking garage and not be winded.

I can run for 30 minutes.

I can easily dress appropriately for any event.

dcapulet
09-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I can sit on the bar stools in class without having my legs go numb.

and can do 15 min on the stairmaster, working my way up :)

Shmead
09-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I can hoist myself up backwards onto a high counter.

Ursula745
09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I can run up the steps, play with my niece and nephew, chase after them, Run my heart at almost 200 bps for a LONG time, not feel winded walking fast to places like in the airport or when I'm in a hurry, and can clean more efficiently.

therex
09-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I can run a mile in about 13 minutes. I use to be able to run a couple of yards.. maybe half a block, it was so embarrassing. I'm trying to quit smoking, so I think my numbers will get better by the end of the year.. i'm very excited.

Rosinante
09-18-2010, 03:42 AM
I can argue my case far more confidently.

Yesterday the store didn't have my dream luggage in; I asked if they could get one from another store; there Isn't another store! So I (nicely) asked the assistant how she could help me and (after I walked round the mall for about an hour and convinced myself that it didn't really matter) found she'd rung the head office of the manufacturer, and got them to send a new one for next week. :)
60lbs ago, I wouldn't have dared to ask her for help, so I'd have gone off annoyed at not getting the case, and furious with myself for being a wimp ~ and I'd have eaten a fatty meal and a sugary dessert to cheer myself up.

time2lose
09-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow, so many things! Let's see how many I can think of:
* walk from my car to my office without getting out of breath
* pretty much walk as much as I need to
* clean my house without stopping every 15 minutes to rest
* cross my legs
* pick things up off the floor
* sit on the floor to play with my grandbaby
* get up off the floor!
* use a small stall in the bathroom
* fit in a booth at restaurants

I know there are more but I am going blank.

Eliana
09-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I can take my foot to the podiatrist for treatment, without feeling ashamed that part of the problem is weight related; and I can get up on his couch without getting breathless.

Oh, this! I hadn't thought of that as I haven't been to the doctor yet. But the next time I have some sort of injury I won't worry that it's because of my weight and therefore not go. :( And if I ever end up on crutches again, maybe I'll actually be able to use them without it being so terribly painful. That was a lot of weight to hoist around on crutches.

boots
09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I can shop for clothes at every single store at our
I can go into Home Depot or Lowes and be asked 6 to 10 times if I "need help with something". Previously I was invisible.

Isn't this AWFUL but true?

I'm a grad student at a university, I used to get the door held for me when I was pregnant, but only when I was OBVIOUSLY pregnant. The rest of the time I was invisible. NOW, I don't even feel "that" much thinner, down 35 lbs since my last baby (although that was not my peak weight, I'm pretty sure I've seen early 200s at some points but I didn't have a scale out for awhile)

Anyways, 35 lbs lighter and I now have guys hanging out like a few minutes to hold the door for me? Astonishing to me! And grocery cart boys hanging out to ask if they can help me or tell me to have a nice day? I can't believe the difference of just 35 lbs?

Anyways, I totally picked up a pair of size 8 Lee jeans (not sure if those are vanity sized or not?) for 9 bucks off the clearance rack at Sears yesterday, and I SO couldn't have really shopped the cheaper clearance rack where "normal" sizes were kept 6 months ago! It felt SO GOOD! And got a cute shirt for 8 bucks size SMALL to match (the shirt is definitely sized big, but still a cute cheap shirt ^_^ )

BethC
09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I went to see the US Open (tennis) last week. It was so crowded that they had turned off the escalators, it's a lot of stairs to the top!

The old me would have either waited or looked for an elevator... but not now, I just kept going!!!

runningfromfat
09-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I can say no to dessert.

I can run 5 miles and pass people that are at least 50 lbs lighter than me doing it.

I can fit into at least one pair of my pre-pregnancy pants (ok, but they were my former 'fat pants).

I can bake my own bread and make my own delicious pizza crusts.

saram
09-18-2010, 11:46 PM
I can do 30 min on the elliptical and not want to puke - and my heart rate recovery is like 1-2 min instead of like 10 min!

I can also fit in a seat at a Twins game without my legs scraping the arms of the seat!!!

Scilla
09-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Get attention from any man but the right one.

GonnaTurnHeads
09-19-2010, 03:02 AM
I can go 1hr and 45min on the elliptical when before I could not finish 5 minutes.

I can bike without thrusting my belly into my lungs every time my legs come up.

I can squat, bend over, crawl on all 4s without difficulty.

I can turn down all soda without a problem and just drink water - and be happy with it!

I can drive past fast food places without stopping at them, (although this still takes a really conscious effort).

I can look in the mirror, and although I'm not thrilled with what I see - I no longer have the urge to cry.

I can do 100 sit ups.

Angie
09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I have to fly often for work; I am so thrilled that I can now fit into a seat without feeling that I'm encroaching on the space of the other person, and I never worry over whether or not the seatbelt will be a struggle, it fits fine and I've got a few inches grace. :)

I'm not pulling at the sides of my bras because they bite into me.

I can cross my legs again :D

lovemyboy
09-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Let's see... I can:

- cross my legs
- shop in "normal" stores
- eat in a restaurant booth without my boobs resting on the table
- participate in public exercise without embarrassment
- bend, stoop, and reach in whichever way I need - no more breathless shoe tying
- catch the opposite sex looking on occasion
- wore a shirt tucked into my pants in public
- wore heels without pain
- wore a choker necklace without choking
- order food that fits my plan without feeling I'm being fussy or a burden (my body is more important than a server's opinion of me and my requests)
- go to the doctor without fear of a weight lecture
- do activities with friends and family without being held back by weight (e.g. fit in theatre or stadium seats, walk long distances without getting tired or slowing everyone down.

I can't wait to see what else I can do.

FreeSpirit
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
This is going to sound weird, but I can balance!! I used to have such bad balance, I would always trip and run into things. I'm still kind of clumsy but not nearly as bad as I was before!

calluna
09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I have a lot of them too, and many of them overlap the ones given here, particularly ones related to exercise; I won't restate those.

- This past ten days I've been in two different hospitals having three different procedures related to what should have been an average gall bladder extraction. Not one of all those doctors, surgeons, nurses, or CNAs ever told me I was overweight, needed to lose, or that weight was a factor in current events. That is pretty wild.

- I can do what I need to do, knowing that I'll have enough energy to see it done.

Pacifica Bee
09-19-2010, 01:49 PM
My list is LONG, but I'll just stick to the first ones that pop into my head:

** I go up 4 flights of stairs 3 times a day (1 flight was hard before)
** I can cut my toenails by leaning forward instead of doing acrobatics involving leaning to the side
** My husband can pick me up (ok that's not somethign I can do, but whatevs..)
** I buy clothes at normal stores
** I can drive with my foot up on the seat with me (not safe, but so comfy)
** I can cross my legs
** I don't hit my belly on bathroom stall doors when trying to open/close them

Truffle
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
This kind of thread is great! I can't wait to have some of my own to list.

Marking so I don't miss any replies. :D

2feelbetter
09-19-2010, 07:22 PM
. 7/17/09 was the exact date I joined the gym and have been working out since and to be honest Ive developed a love for working out and I never knew it was there. I feel so good after I work out and I know this journey can do nothing but get better.

Last week was my first full week at the Y that I joined. I took 2 Zumba classes and 2 aqua aerobic classes.

What's so depressing to me is and I hope people read this is DON'T PUT IT OFF I actually have always always loved working out I use to do african dance, I belonged to gyms before, I use to walk the track. But for whatever reason for the past year all I did every day was say to myself I need to join the gym. I guess I was embarassed but now I don't care. I'm an empty nester and now it's all about me.

So don't put off it off another day. WORK OUT you'll be glad you did.
I hope to one day put up a mni goad pic.:)

2feelbetter
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I have to fly often for work; I am so thrilled that I can now fit into a seat without feeling that I'm encroaching on the space of the other person, and I never worry over whether or not the seatbelt will be a struggle, it fits fine and I've got a few inches grace. :)
:D

I actually have this fear in the back of my mind. I was thinking of going to Hawaii but don't want to be in a crowded airplane seat that long. I've been there before but my husband wants to go.

2 weeks ago I had to fly because my son had an appendectomy. On the way there I had a seat to myself. On the way back I was sitting next to a small lady she was about a size 8 SHE COULD ACTUALLY CROSS HER LEGS ! It worked out well and we chatted most of the time she was very nice.

Here's a goal to achieve. I would like to not have the food tray rest on my stomach when I lower it to eat. OMG I couldn't believe that it was hitting me in the stomach. I looked at the person across from me and she had at least 4 inches in front of her.

dragonwoman64
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
good lists

I can walk home from the botanic garden (over 2 miles) after having walked through the garden for hours (love this one)

I think going through a period where walking got to be a struggle, and my legs would ache, and I'd need to stop to sit and rest constantly taught me what a blessing it is. Just walking.

I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge and back. What a blast.
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/dragonwoman64/viewfrombrooklynbridge-1.jpg

ubergirl
09-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Spend the entire day pack boxes, then get home late at night and still have enough energy to put the stuff away.

See candy, donuts, junk food, etc., KNOW I'm not going to eat it, and not really think about it much.

Grocery shop without throwing stuff in the cart that I wasn't planning to buy.

ValRock
09-20-2010, 01:18 AM
I can wear knee high boots.
I can shop in 'normal' stores.
I can carry my daughter and her stroller up all the steps in the subway station without getting tired.
I can run from here to the school without stopping.
I can cross my legs.
I can stop eating when I'm full.
I can say NO when it comes to food and people ;) Thank you self confidence!
I no longer scan a room wondering if I'm the fattest person there.
I can play on the floor with my kids and not get stuck there.
I can run and play outside with my kids and wear them out instead of the other way around :))

Feels good... almost there :).

2feelbetter
09-20-2010, 08:39 AM
See candy, donuts, junk food, etc., KNOW I'm not going to eat it, and not really think about it much.

That would be huge for me. I cannot stop eating junk food.

leeshalulu
09-20-2010, 08:48 AM
I can fit into my drivers seat without being crammed up against the steering wheel. I can jog for about 7 minutes straight on the treadmill. When I started, I could barely walk 7 minutes.

Matilda08
09-20-2010, 10:40 AM
WOW im impressed with some of these and I cant wait to be able to do some of the things you all listed. I cant wait to wear shorts

saef
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I forgot a REALLY big one.

I can wear vintage clothing now.

caryesings
09-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I had to go into the gas station this weekend to pay (usually pay at the pump). Long line due to the pay at pump feature down. Stood facing the candy bar display and cooler full of ice cream treats. It was astonishing to me that I didn't have to actively resist buying something. I simply had no interest. That is definitely a new feeling!

time2lose
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I can fit into my drivers seat without being crammed up against the steering wheel.

Add this one to my list. :) There was a time that I was afraid that I would not be able to drive anymore because if I pushed my seat back any further, my feet would not reach the petals. I am quite comfortable in a car now.

I am often amazed that I did not have to get to goal in order to see wonderful benefits. I still have much weight to lose but my life is so much better now.