Biggest Loser Challenges - Red Team Fall Focus 2010 Getting to Know You

shan84
09-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Hello everyone and welcome to the red team! From now until Sunday we will use this thread to get to know each other. Some of us are veterans to these challenges and many are newbies. Welcome to everyone! This is going to be a great challenge for the red team I just know it! :carrot: Jump right in and introduce yourself!

I'll start: My name is Shannon, I'm 26 years old and I am a preschool teacher at an international school in Geoje Island, South Korea. I have an amazing supportive boyfriend and have been on my committed journey to changing my life for a little over a year and a half now. These challenges are what helps keep me motivated and helps provide support that I need on a daily basis. I look forward to this challenge personally, as well as leading the team for the second time. Welcome everyone! :hug:

lindalee9
09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi, I'm Linda and I stay at home to take care of my 10 month old son. This is my first Biggest Loser challenge and I am excited to get started. I started my weight loss program on June 12th and have lost 24 lbs and 17.5 inches so far. :wave:

TERAPET
09-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi, I have been in the weight loss bandwagon since May of this year when I lost my job. I still have not found a new job but I have managed to lose around 25 pounds since then. I am married and have three nearly grown up children. This is my second BL challenge this year. Go Red!

Shan-I am a bit unsure about the starting weight. Do I use my weight when I signed up or do I use my weight today or perhaps my weight on 9-19 . I kinda thought we used our sign up weight and got a bonus if we lost before the start date but I read a few posts that led me to think this might be construed as cheating so I am not sure what weight to use. Adorable boyfriend pic btw!

sha25
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone!! My name is Sharon, I am 34yrs old, work full time and a mommy to 3 girls. I started my weight loss journey back in April of this year. I am excited for this challenge.

PDXgirl
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Heya!
I'm brand new to the boards (well, a couple weeks) and this is my first challenge. My name is Tori, I'm 32 and live in Portland, Oregon. I've had poor eating habits for years and have never had an active lifestyle. I'm here to help keep my goals in the front of my mind. I'm an adult geek and getting married next fall.

dudesmom
09-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi all, I'm Allison. I'm 31 and a stay at home mom to two boys, 3 1/2 and 1 year. I'm also a student at the moment. I'm a new vegetarian and also a new runner.

pinkpolkadot
09-15-2010, 04:53 PM
My name is Mandy and I am 26 years old.I was born and raised in Idaho. I have lived in Florida for 6 years with my husband. This is my first BL challenge.
GO RED TEAM!!! :jig:

Violet73
09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey everybody! My name is Leslie and I'm 36. I'm a single mom of an almost 13 year old daughter. I work at home doing medical transcription. I'm glad to be part of this team and have the support to help me through this!

Go Red team! :)

CanadaMel
09-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi my name is Mel. I'm 42, married, work part-time and raise my 3 kids.
I started my lifestyle change in Jan 2009. I believe this is my 5th challenge? I'm hoping to be more dedicated than I was during the summer challenge.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Shan- I agree with Terapet- love the new profile pic! Too cute ;)

grneyegrl
09-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone, this is my second BL challenge. My goal is to eat clean and get into a routine. I am starting a bit more organized this time. I am moving in a month and starting a different job. Hopefully planing my meals and fitness routine keeps the stress level down! Good luck to everyone!

Jen
09-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Jen, I'm 42, married with 2 kids, ages 9 and 2, work full-time and totally feel like I'm on the go 24/7. This is probably my 3rd challenge but I didn't make it through the other 2, mostly I could stick with anything for very long but I'm determined to make it through this one!!!

KimL1214
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi! My name is Kim, I'm 26, and live in middle of no where Vermont. I work between 60-80 hours/week, full time at a middle school as an aid and part time at a restaurant. I try to get involved in as many 3FC challenges as I can as I find that they help keep me accountable. I run the 20-somethings TBL Challenges and LOVE them, but am psyched to be part of a longer challenge, as ours only run for 6 weeks.

It's been a struggle, but I'm hoping that this journey will be my last one losing weight. Then I can start a new one, MAINTAINING!!! Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!!

Narnia99
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone, I believe this will be my third challenge. I always seem to start off well, and then I struggle. I am really determined to do better this time.
I am 40, and a SAHM to my three children who are 11, 9, 7.
I look forward to getting to know everyone :)

Angie
09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi there!

I'm a 39 year old working mom. I started a new plan on August 12th and I've lost about 16 pounds on it so far. I'm in this for the long haul, I have about 100 lbs to lose. This challenge is really exciting for me and I think it will go a long way to keeping me focused and on plan.

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next few months!

shan84
09-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Hello red team. Just checking in real quick. I have been busy working away at school with my kids as they have holiday all next week. Things are slowing down as Friday is half way finished right now. I will be back on later tonight or tomorrow to do personals. Glad to see so many people jumping in.

Today's question: What are the most important three things you would tell someone to help them with their journey?

Bette k
09-17-2010, 12:04 AM
HI everyone,
I'm Bette, and I'm 51 yo mom of 2, a son in the Army and a 9 yo dd. I'm currently unemployed and waiting for my sub teaching license to get her to start subbing, I let it drop when I was doing a different job, and now have to wait.
This has been a very stressful year so I haven't been doing much for weight loss, but I'm going to settle down and get into it again.

I live on a farm in Iowa and recently moved into a much bigger house so I'm still trying to figure out the decorating and getting settled in.

I hope everyone has a great week.
Bette K

mylifestory852
09-17-2010, 12:24 AM
hi every one can i join with u in this challenge??

alwe74
09-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi Everyone! My name is Angie. I'm (almost) 36 years old and a mother of one VERY active 3 yr. old! This is my 3rd challenge but I haven't done one in about a year or so. I have been a yo-yo dieter for the last 10 years and currently have about 100 lbs. to lose. I'm hoping to lose at least 60 lbs. by April for my little brother's wedding. I'm not really following a diet plan right now, just reducing sugar and processed foods and trying to exercise every day. Good luck red team!!!

shan84
09-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Mylife- I'm sorry but sign up for this challenge has passed. Please send me a private pm and I can discuss further your options if you want to be a participating unofficial member.

shan84
09-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Time for personals! WOOHOO!! GO RED TEAM!!

lindalee- Congrats on your huge loss already. 17.5 inches is amazing! Go you! How exhausting you must be though having a little one at home right now, but oh how much fun! How do you incorporate your exercise time in with being a full time mom?

Terapet- Welcome back! So glad your back on the red team for another challenge. Truly enjoyed last challenge with you! Sorry to job front has been going so well. At least you've been taking care of yourself though. I would be afraid something like that might hinder my weight loss instead of improve it. That is a total testiment of how committed and determined you are to your journey. Your an inspiration!! By the way, you use your sign up weight. Don't worry if you put the wrong thing, I will go in and edit it because I have everyone's sign up weight and can edit posts to correspond to the original information I received.

sha25- Welcome to the challenge! 3 girls... Love it! My mother has three girls, and though we are and always have been a handful, we also have tons of fun! What is your job? Are you following any specific plan for the challenge?

PDXgirl- Welcome to the boards and to the challenge! Congrats on your upcoming marriage. I hear you about having poor eating habits for so long though. It has taken me a long time to change my thought proccess and find other vises. What are your goals now?

dudesmom- Welcome to the challenge! What are you studying right now? What made you decide to become a vegetarian now, and what plan are you following? I think that's fascinating. I, myself could never see that happening for me, especially living here in Korea now...but its an interesting concept. :)

pinkpolkadot- Welcome to the challenge! Where in Florida do you live? My sister has been living in Daytona Beach for a little over a year and loves it! As this is your first challenge, do you have any questions maybe for some of the veterans on the challenge? The challenge is a great motivator and we have some great tools to help us all along our journey. All of the weight I have lost has been on the last three challenges. :carrot:

LeslieLou- Hello :wave: So, a noisy question, but being that you work from home does it help you stay more focused on your weight loss or does it hinder you? I'm just curious because I know there are benefits from both sides- working at home or working away from the home. Just curious as to your own situation. Care to share? :)

CanadaMel-Mel-Mel- Haha! Woohoo! Another challenge again! So glad your back. I've really enjoyed every challenge with you. I feel like so much has changed over the past few challenges. Thanks for the comment on my new profile pic. You mentioned your hoping to be more dedicated this challenge then last, are you changing anything about your plan or anything, or do you just mean in general?

grneyegrl- Congrats on a different job! Welcome back for another challenge. Good luck getting into routine with your eating and exercise! It really helps me keeping my exercise very routine (the days, hours, etc.) What are your goals for this challenge?

Jen- Glad your here for another challenge and I'm sure you can make it through this one! You have drive! I can relate to the always on the go, but not to the full extent that you are, as I don't have any kids, nor am I married (but I hope to be someday soon). :) What plan do you follow?

KimL1214- Welcome! That's great that you lead up the 20 somethings BL challenges. I love our challenges that run the 13 weeks though. You can really see some amazing results over that kind of time period. What plan do you follow on your weight loss journey? You work some crazy hours! Bless your heart. Don't forget to sleep. :)

Narnia- Welcome back for another challenge! Why do you feel like you start off good and then struggle? Is there a change in your life that happens or is it just personal stuff? Sometimes I feel like giving up but then I realizes how far I've come and I really do want to finish what I started this time. Good luck to you!! I bet you can do it!!

Angie- Congrats on losing 16lbs so far! Welcome to the challenge. What plan are you following? We have some great tools and such on here each week to help keep us all accountable for our eating and exercise choices. Hope they help!

Bette K- First, welcome back! Sorry to hear its been a stressful year for you. The farmhouse sounds amazing and how exciting to be able to decorate it and get everything situated. It sounds like a huge project..but hey, huge projects often equal higher calorie burns for exercise. :) Hope your having a great week too!

alwe74- Welcome back to the BL challenges! Sounds like you have the beginnings of a good plan going. Exercise everyday is really important even if its just a little. Everything counts in the long run because we can always start off with a little and work our ways up from there. It just a matter of taking the "jump to start" as I like to call it. Haha. Good luck to you!! And congrats to your little brother on his upcoming marriage.

Serval87
09-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Hello!

I am 23 years old, married to a WONDERFUL man, and am an aspiring author (meaning I'm unemployed lol). I've never really been all that committed when it comes to losing weight, because I either get frustrated, impatient, or just bored and jump back into my old habits. I am hoping to change that, hoping that this will be the kind of support I need and that it will allow me to stick with it (I am highly competitive, after all).

As for nutrition plans, I'm not really following any, but for this challenge I'm going to try to cut down my processed food/sugar intake, and replace it with healthier options like fruit and salads. I have a lot of exercise DVDS, a Wii, and a stationary bike (as well as resistance bands, a jump rope, hula hoop, and 10 lb hand weights). I really like going for walks in the early morning, and evening, though, but I don't like going alone, so if my husband isn't feeling up to it I normally sit it out.

I have also decided that I will work on getting more sleep, because I usually am very nocturnal, and will skip sleeping just because I'd rather be doing something else (usually writing, or if I'm experiencing writer's block: surfing the net, watching television, or playing a video game). I am almost constantly in a daze whenever I'm awake, and when I finally do sleep I sleep for a LONG time (and usually end up missing things like going to church). I figure if I work on getting more sleep, I will have less time to binge, and more energy to exercise.

Violet73
09-17-2010, 09:13 AM

LeslieLou- Hello :wave: So, a noisy question, but being that you work from home does it help you stay more focused on your weight loss or does it hinder you? I'm just curious because I know there are benefits from both sides- working at home or working away from the home. Just curious as to your own situation. Care to share? :)

Wow Shan, thanks for taking the time to reply to us individually! :) I find it easier to stay on track working from home. The job I had before was in a clinic where drug reps brought us breakfast and lunch almost every day which was always the very good-tasting, bad-for-you stuff along with desserts! Great way for drug companies to waste money huh? but, that's another subject :P

I had temptation around me every day so it was hard. I feel I have more control working at home..but the only problem is that I sit all day. I am going to try walking but I have problems with my feet and can't walk as far as I want. It can be frustrating but every little bit helps :)

I'm excited about this challenge! I think it's the boost I need :)

lavenderblueskies
09-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first challenge. I'm 60, married and have two handsome young adult sons and a lovely daughter-in-law. I am the program manager/educator for a small city Family Planning/Prenatal/ STD and HIV Clinic. I started a lifestyle chage about a month ago and hope that this challenge will provide incentive and support.

shan84
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
More personals- GO RED TEAM!

Serval87- Welcome to the challenge! You have a whole gym at your home...that's so exciting that you have immediate access to all that equipment. I'm in awe of your occupation...an author! Only in my dreams though I do write some stuff down, I've never taken it seriously. Thats amazing. As far as the sleep stuff goes, if you can really work on getting a routine and getting in your sleep hours it will really help. Not only will it help you feel better physically but I find for me it is an important key to my overall weight loss plan because remember, you burn calories even when your sleeping! Good luck during the challenge.

LeslieLou- Thanks for the response. I hear you about all the treats coming in all the time. I'm a teacher, so there is always a birthday in one of the classes or staff dinners, etc...so I find that really challenging. Luckily right now I am teaching a small class of only 6 students and they are all only 3 1/2 years old so they aren't bringing me food to school. Haha! I think thats great you have more control at home. I am on vacation for the first week of our challenge so I will be at home the whole time and have total control over my food choices and exercise options. I hope to have a good first week because of this. I'm a little envious that you have this power everyday. Good for you though!

lavenderblueskies- Welcome to your first challenge! I love how you said you are doing a "lifestyle change" and didnt call it a diet. It took me a long time is to get to that point. And it truly is a lifestyle change. Kudos to you!! What kind of changes have you been making food and exercise wise to go on this journey?

Hope everyone has a great day. I am a 16 hour time difference from everyone in the states, so please be patient with me. A lot of times when you guys rare busy writing away on here I will be sleeping because it will be middle of the night for me. I promise to try to do personals once a week at least. Sometimes they will be long, sometimes they will be brief. Hope everyone jumps in and starts sharing.

***Please refer back to my last comment in the thread on the 1st page regarding today's question of the day! Thanks. GO RED!!

dudesmom
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
dudesmom- Welcome to the challenge! What are you studying right now? What made you decide to become a vegetarian now, and what plan are you following? I think that's fascinating. I, myself could never see that happening for me, especially living here in Korea now...but its an interesting concept. :)

Right now I'm working on getting my teaching license, I'm going to work with special needs students. I'm hoping to work with younger students, maybe 3rd grade or younger. I worked in a special education preschool as an aide many years ago and really loved it. After a brief stint as a retail manager, I decided that I wanted a profession that was more personally rewarding, so I started back to school and here I am! As far as being a vegetarian, the way the animals are treated is what made me decide to stop eating meat. I don't eat any meat at all, no fish, and very little eggs or dairy. I've always been a meat lover, so I never really saw myself making this change, but it just seemed right to me. I'm not condemning anyone who does eat meat, it's just not the right choice for me. By the way, I think this thread is a great idea. It's nice to learn about my teammates before the challenge starts!

dudesmom
09-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Today's question: What are the most important three things you would tell someone to help them with their journey?

I almost forgot this! I would tell them:

1. Its not going to be easy, and probably not real quick either.
2. Choose a plan that you can stick with for life.
3. Don't worry too much if you screw up, just use it as a learning experience.

lindalee9
09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
How do you incorporate your exercise time in with being a full time mom?

I am doing 30 day shred so it's only 20 minutes! I do it while he plays with toys. A lot of times he crawls under me while I am doing push ups and everytime I do ab work, he is there pulling up on my legs or crawling over my stomach! He also is fascinated with my hand weights when I put them down. I think he feels he should be able to pick them up because they aren't big, but it's too heavy for him.

So far it's working out well! I think it's good for him to see me taking care of myself and eating right.

pinkpolkadot
09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
pinkpolkadot- Welcome to the challenge! Where in Florida do you live? My sister has been living in Daytona Beach for a little over a year and loves it! As this is your first challenge, do you have any questions maybe for some of the veterans on the challenge? The challenge is a great motivator and we have some great tools to help us all along our journey. All of the weight I have lost has been on the last three challenges. :carrot:

Thanks, Shan84. I live literally between Orlando and Tampa. I have been to Daytona beach once about 8 years ago. Really pretty beaches there. I really don't have any questions as of right now. The only problem I am really having is deciding to do low carb or low glycemic. About 3 weeks ago my doctor said I was pre-diabetic and put me on Metformin. All she said was to eat healthy. So, if any one has input on that it would be greatly appreciated. :)

What are the most important three things you would tell someone to help them with their journey?

1. It's never to late to do something.
2. There is nothing permanent except for change.
3. Exercise is better than any diet pill.

GO RED TEAM!

julie99s
09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm a mom to 1st grade and 3rd grade daughters and a 15 month old son. I've been on this journey since I was a teen, and have subjected myself to the unhealthy route a time or two. The weight came back, lesson learned. I joined the Y in August, and it terrified me. Now I'm proud to admit I've become somewhat of a gym rat. I LOVE to go to the gym. I can't imagine saying "I don't wannnnt to go to the gym". Certainly not the way I felt working out at home lol

I am still nursing our son, so my calorie intake does need to be a little higher. I've also noticed I am hungry throughout the day. Especially while I nurse. I need to work on healthier snack options. Other than that, I don't really have a plan I follow. Just healthy foods. I don't do counts for personal reasons. Namely, I still fear the path of high school and mid 20s.

I will lose AND keep off the weight this time so I can meet my future great grandkids =]

CanadaMel
09-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Three things i would tell someone just starting their lifestyle change:

1) "Just keep swimming-Dora". It won't happen overnight. It's easy to get frustrated & ice up. Just remember tomorrow is a new day.

2) Use a food journal and be honest with yourself. It helps you to realize how much you are eating when you are journaling every morsel that you put in your mouth- even if no one 'sees' you eating.

3) any form of exercise counts. I like wearing a pedometer and I aim for a minimum of 10,000 steps per day.

Violet73
09-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey guys! I hope all of you are having a great weekend :) I am working today. This evening I'm gonna do Leslie Sansone's WATP DVD. Anyone do this?

alwe74
09-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I almost forgot this! I would tell them:

1. Its not going to be easy, and probably not real quick either.
2. Choose a plan that you can stick with for life.
3. Don't worry too much if you screw up, just use it as a learning experience.

I think I'm gonna have to say "ditto" on what dudesmom says. Any plan that I've ever done that drops weight quickly has never been something I could stick with for very long!

alwe74
09-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey guys! I hope all of you are having a great weekend :) I am working today. This evening I'm gonna do Leslie Sansone's WATP DVD. Anyone do this?

I plan on doing WATP when the weather starts to turn cold (which could be any day now here in Wyoming). I really like her videos. Especially when you are just starting back on an exercise plan.

Violet73
09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I plan on doing WATP when the weather starts to turn cold (which could be any day now here in Wyoming). I really like her videos. Especially when you are just starting back on an exercise plan.

I'm So jealous you are in Wyoming! I've always wanted to go there and also Montana. I wouldn't like the winters there though so I would just wanna visit in the summer ;)

dudesmom
09-18-2010, 02:13 PM

I really love the WATP videos even though I haven't done one in a while. I am extremely uncoordinated, but these are perfect because the movements are so basic yet effective. And anyone who thinks that videos like this are "easy" should think again, Leslie makes me sweat my butt off!

sha25
09-18-2010, 05:18 PM

sha25- Welcome to the challenge! 3 girls... Love it! My mother has three girls, and though we are and always have been a handful, we also have tons of fun! What is your job? Are you following any specific plan for the challenge?

Thanks for the welcome...My girls are a handful that's for sure. They are 12,9 & 4..They have tons of fun but fight like crazy sometimes.. I tell them I am not a referee,I am your mother.. I work as an office manager for a private company.. As far as my program, I am a calorie counter, gave up sugar, processed foods, and everything w/ white flour and exercise 5-6 days a week. Lately I have been taking it easy on the exercise though..I have been having bad upper back pain and finally went to the doctor today.. He thinks it may be nerve damage so I am walking and doing yoga ATM. I was doing P90X before I hurt my back and can't wait to be able to start again.. I was seeing great results..

Hope everyone is having a good weekend..

Violet73
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
I really love the WATP videos even though I haven't done one in a while. I am extremely uncoordinated, but these are perfect because the movements are so basic yet effective. And anyone who thinks that videos like this are "easy" should think again, Leslie makes me sweat my butt off!

I'm like you..not very coordinated. I was before all the weight gain..but not now! I tried a step class once and almost broke my neck! LOL

Her workouts are definitely not easy. I sweat my butt off too :D Hopefully the more I do it the more my butt will come off! :carrot:

Violet73
09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome...My girls are a handful that's for sure. They are 12,9 & 4..They have tons of fun but fight like crazy sometimes.. I tell them I am not a referee,I am your mother.. I work as an office manager for a private company.. As far as my program, I am a calorie counter, gave up sugar, processed foods, and everything w/ white flour and exercise 5-6 days a week. Lately I have been taking it easy on the exercise though..I have been having bad upper back pain and finally went to the doctor today.. He thinks it may be nerve damage so I am walking and doing yoga ATM. I was doing P90X before I hurt my back and can't wait to be able to start again.. I was seeing great results..

Sorry about your back problems :( I have rheumatoid arthritis and my feet are not great plus my other joints become inflamed so it's hard for me to exercise too much which is frustrating. I like Leslie Sansone's WATP cause its quick and a good workout without being to hard on the joints. I wonder if you could do this with your back? Walking itself is great exercise though! It sounds like you are on the right track :)

alwe74
09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm So jealous you are in Wyoming! I've always wanted to go there and also Montana. I wouldn't like the winters there though so I would just wanna visit in the summer ;)

It is nice here in the summer, not too hot. The winters can be really bad though.

alwe74
09-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Lately I have been taking it easy on the exercise though..I have been having bad upper back pain and finally went to the doctor today.. He thinks it may be nerve damage so I am walking and doing yoga ATM. I was doing P90X before I hurt my back and can't wait to be able to start again.. I was seeing great results..

What kind of yoga are you doing? Are you taking a class or videos? I love to do yoga but there are no classes here so I do videos.

Angie
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Angie- Congrats on losing 16lbs so far! Welcome to the challenge. What plan are you following? We have some great tools and such on here each week to help keep us all accountable for our eating and exercise choices. Hope they help!

I'm doing a metabolic diet that is basically low carb, lo sodium and low sugar. I eat mostly meat and veggies for now, but I'll soon move to the next phase where fruit and dairy are introduced in moderation. I'm also working with a trainer for the first time and loving it.

Three things i would tell someone just starting their lifestyle change:

1. It's not easy, and you need support; tell everyone that uou are trying to lose weight. I find people generally are very helpful once they know that.
2. Take measurements and pictures so you can compare where you started and ended.
3. Track what you eat - it's a great planning tool and keeps you firmly grounded in reality.

armywife88
09-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Hey Everyone!

My name is Christina. I'm 22 years old. I live in Germany with my husband of almost 4 years. We have a son that just turned 5 and started Kindergarten. I've been a t stay at home mom for the last 4 years, Now that my son is in school I'm thinking about starting to work again. I started my WL journey 2 years ago doing Atkins. The past 2 years have consisted of a lot of yo yo dieting but I managed to loose just over 60 lbs. I am now doing WW, but I also watch my carb intake. I try and keep to fresh foods. Since my son started school I've been going to the gym or going for walks a lot. I started the C25K program and will begin week 2 tomorrow.

shan84
09-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Leslielou- I love the WATP dvds. I don't own any myself however on youtube they have one of the ab videos and I love to do that 30 minute one.

alwe74- Where in Wyoming are you? I used to live and work out of Burgess Junction up on the mountain outside of Dayton. It definitely gets cold there in the winter time.

dudesmom- I totally agree the WATP video that I do makes me sweat like crazy. It's definitely not easy. I also enjoy doing the Biggest Loser workouts (though they are often hard to follow) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE breaking out my Richard Simmon dvds!

sha25- I am a fellow calorie counter as well! WOOHOO! Good luck with your results!

armywife88- Welcome to the challenge! How exciting to live in Germany! I'm in South Korea on an island about an hour off the southern coast. It makes for strange hours though when talking to my friends and family and even some of the members of the red team back home in the states! Good luck!

Well red team, we are about to start our first week of the challenge. Good luck to everyone. Please use as much or as little of the tools that we provide to help you along with your journey. Please make note: You MUST participate at least once a week in the weekly threads in order to qualify for weekly biggest loser and overall biggest loser.

JasonsLea
09-19-2010, 05:36 AM
:wave: everyone!

My name is Shari, 24, fulltime student. This is my second BL challenge, I totally flaked on the other one. :rolleyes: Hopefully I can do much better on this one. :) I've been on 3FC since '05 so I guess that makes me a veteran? Mindful eating is my game and I walk to exercise, though I'm hoping to add Zumba at home to the mix soon. :crossed:

:grouphug:

Jen
09-19-2010, 05:53 AM

Jen- Glad your here for another challenge and I'm sure you can make it through this one! You have drive! I can relate to the always on the go, but not to the full extent that you are, as I don't have any kids, nor am I married (but I hope to be someday soon). :) What plan do you follow?

I'm not really following any plan right now. My whole problem with trying to lose weight is putting myself in the position where I am eating differently than others in the family and it ends up being too difficult to make separate meals. I want to have some treats in the house like cookies and pop but I need to not eat them myself! I think it is okay to have those things once in awhile, I am much more strict with my kids than I am myself and thank goodness my son would much rather eat fresh fruits and veggies than cookies. So basically I just need to cut back on things like cookies, only have 1 serving at meals, cut back on portion sizes, drink more water, cut out my morning coffee (4 cream, 4 sugar, that's not worth the caffeine!), things like that. Maybe this is the common sense plan? Oh yes I do need to start exercising more. It's one of those catch 22s, I need to exercise to have energy to exercise. Right now I have no energy, it is an ordeal just to get through the day sometimes.

Jen
09-19-2010, 05:56 AM
I think I'm gonna have to say "ditto" on what dudesmom says. Any plan that I've ever done that drops weight quickly has never been something I could stick with for very long!

ditto on this as well. I found that whenever I radically changed the way I ate I got sick within a couple of weeks.

Jen
09-19-2010, 06:03 AM

1. You didn't gain the weight overnight, you aren't going to lose it overnight. There are no quick fixes, it will take time, so hang in there. Every lbs counts!

2. Try to look after you a little more than what you probably have been doing. Women are so more likely to put everyone else's well being ahead of their own. You can't look after anyone else when your own health is breaking down.

3. Develop a love of water, we don't drink nearly enough.

lavenderblueskies
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
lavenderblueskies- Welcome to your first challenge! I love how you said you are doing a "lifestyle change" and didnt call it a diet. It took me a long time is to get to that point. And it truly is a lifestyle change. Kudos to you!! What kind of changes have you been making food and exercise wise to go on this journey?

Thanks for the personal welcome. It's taken me a long time as well-- I've been down the diet road more times than I can count and have always fallen back into old habits.

Three things I would tell someone starting a lifestyle gnange:

1. The excess weight you're carry around didn't accumulate over night and it won't leave that way either. Find an eating plan you can live with for the long term and follow it. If you fall off the plan now and then just climb back on.

2. Keep a food journal. It's sometimes shocking to see what you are actually eating on paper (computer screen).

3. Get in some kind of exercise everyday.

armywife88
09-19-2010, 10:46 AM

1. It's a lifelong journey and if you mess up get right back on track the next time you eat. Throwing the whole day away because of one thing you ate isn't smart. Look at it this way, if you got a flat tire would you get out and slice the remaining 3?

2. Exercise is important! Even just going for a walk is better then nothing.

3. This is my favorite quote from Jillian Michaels "Why choose failure when success is an option?"

TERAPET
09-19-2010, 12:57 PM

1. Eat more vegetables.
2. Eat more protein.
3. Write down what you eat.

alwe74
09-19-2010, 05:00 PM
1. You didn't gain the weight overnight, you aren't going to lose it overnight. There are no quick fixes, it will take time, so hang in there. Every lbs counts!

2. Try to look after you a little more than what you probably have been doing. Women are so more likely to put everyone else's well being ahead of their own. You can't look after anyone else when your own health is breaking down.

3. Develop a love of water, we don't drink nearly enough.

Great advice!!! Especially #2...so true!

nurse2be
09-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi there! Sorry a little late for my intro. I check 3FC from my phone so sometimes I miss threads..didn't know I was on the red team until I got a PM.

So I started my WL journey in March, and two days after being OP I broke my leg. I just an MRI 6 months later + now need surgery, but that will have to wait until December as I am a full time nursing student (was suppose to graduate in June now fingers crossed December).
I have 4 kids, 11, 8, 6, and 5. The doc JUST told me to lose another 20 lbs although I've already lost 35 since the accident.
I have not done one of these BL challenges yet, so I am very excited! I will try + check in on my laptop so I can participate better.

alwe74
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
alwe74- Where in Wyoming are you? I used to live and work out of Burgess Junction up on the mountain outside of Dayton. It definitely gets cold there in the winter time.

I'm in Southwest Wyoming between Rock Springs and Evanston. I've never been to Dayton so I'm not sure where that's at.

Serval87
09-21-2010, 10:44 PM
More personals- GO RED TEAM!

Serval87- Welcome to the challenge! You have a whole gym at your home...that's so exciting that you have immediate access to all that equipment. I'm in awe of your occupation...an author! Only in my dreams though I do write some stuff down, I've never taken it seriously. Thats amazing. As far as the sleep stuff goes, if you can really work on getting a routine and getting in your sleep hours it will really help. Not only will it help you feel better physically but I find for me it is an important key to my overall weight loss plan because remember, you burn calories even when your sleeping! Good luck during the challenge.[/COLOR]

Thanks! Good luck to you too. As for writing, I've really only been published three times, and none of those were paying, so for now I'm not a 'real' author. lol :) Yes, I've been trying to go to sleep earlier, so I've also been trying to eat earlier too. Not doing so good on that right now, though. I'm going to have to make some dinner soon. I'm thinking quinoa with sauteed peppers and tomatoes over salad. :)

Luckybustert
09-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone, sorry I'm a little late on my intro. My name is Suzanne and I live in Oregon. I'll be 50 (ouch!) in a couple months, and I like to knit, hang out with friends, shop, stuff like that. I participated in these challenges before and was losing some weight, but then got away from it and my weight started creeping back up. Looking forward to losing weight with you!