Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #1  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Fashion advice?

I'm not quite into maintenance yet, but I expect to be in a few months. I've heard that the last few pounds can make a noticeable difference in one's shape, so I'm waiting to buy clothes until I get to goal. Aside from a couple of items I bought last summer, my current wardrobe consists mainly of shirts that are WAY too big and some shirts and pants that have been in my closet for 10-20 years but that I've been too stubborn to throw away. Even those are a bit big on me now.

My fashion "style", such as it is, is mainly to be clean and presentable and to wear clothes that are comfortable and don't look completely stupid on me. I've been wondering whether it's time to cultivate a certain fashion sense, though I'm not sure if I really *want* to do that or just feel that I "should" want to do that.

I don't really have a good idea of what size I'll be (I know it depends on the company and cut). My best guess is that I'll be a 10, perhaps an 8 on top. Any thoughts?
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

You could take a tour of a thrift store, a fancy boutique, a large department store, whatever you are comfortable with, and try on things. Or ask a friend who is very astute about clothes that look nice and wear well over several years to help you.

A few pounds do make a difference in how clothes hang, drape, move, cling, etc.

If you have the budget for a style consultation, there are consultants who can help you choose color ranges and tone, styles, cuts, etc.

About thirty years ago, I paid someone to do that and it helped me tremendously. The recommendations she made, the color analysis, etc., have stood me well over the decades.

All the best to you.

Last edited by SilverLife; 09-14-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added a phrase
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Do you get catalogs? I get tons -- everything from LLBean and Lands End to Garnet Hill, JCrew, Banana Republic, Boden, Nordstrom, etc. Even if I get a catalog I've never heard of and have no intention of buying from, I like to look through it just to get ideas. One big thing to pay attention to is proportion -- like if you have a big flowy cardigan, you want slimmer pants. Or with flowy pants, a more tailored top (like all the cute jackets they're showing this fall!). In catalogs or on website, you can look for how to wear belts, like when a skinny one looks good and when a thicker one looks good.

If you find a store where you just love their aesthetic, love the pieces and how they put them together, request a catalog from the website. At stores like Loft or Banana Republic, I find the salespeople can be really helpful at helping you put an outfit together. When the new stuff comes in, they are usually taught what goes well together and ways to wear things.

Magazines are helpful as well. I like InStyle -- I don't dress like that, and certainly can't afford most of what they show, but again, that magazine is priceless for pointing out trends and how to wear things. Real Simple magazine has lots of good ideas, too, though also quite expensive. If that's not your reality (it's not mine), you can take their advice and apply it to great finds at H&M, Target, TJ Maxx, etc.

I used to watch the show "What Not To Wear." Frequently the makeover subject was a woman who had lost weight and didn't know how to dress her new bod. I don't know if it's still on, or if you can watch old episodes online, but that show was very helpful for teaching about silhouettes, proportion, etc.

I lost ~15 pounds and clothes that I bought on the way down are way too big now. It's good to wait until you are where you want to be, because it stinks to buy a great pair of skinny jeans and have to cinch them 9 pounds later. Skinny jeans were not meant to be cinched!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #4  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I would suggest you buy some classic pieces like black pants, pencil skirt, denim skirt, white shirt, and a good pair of jeans. Start with those basic pieces and slowly pick up other tops & sweaters to wear with them.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote