Chicks up for a Challenge - C25K: Get Running, Get Fit - Thread 2!

ninepaw
09-13-2010, 01:19 AM
:balloons: Hello Ladies!!! :balloons:

After 17 pages and well over 500 posts, our first thread got shut down! Time for a new one. :D I'm too lazy to write a new motivational speech, so... Here's a copy/paste from the old one!

I think it's safe to say that most of us have heard of the C25K program! So many people rave about how wonderful and awesome and amazing it is, so why shouldn't we give it a shot, too!? I think it's time to make that effort! :coach:

In case you aren't aware, C25K stands for Couch-to-5K program! Over the span of 9 weeks, you use intervals of walking and jogging to build up your stamina, so you can eventually run a 5k race OR for 30 minutes straight. You can do this on a treadmill or just outside! There are all sorts of useful resources available for those that want to try taking on the challenge, even apps for your iPhone/iTouch!

You can find the program schedule, along with some other information at this link (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). Always remember that in the end, you are doing this for yourself, so if you feel that you need to modify the intervals or times to better suit your body, GO FOR IT! :cheer2:

I want this thread to become a group of friends who supports each other through the ups and downs of this learning process! So please feel free to tell us a little bit about yourself. And don't think you can't hop in because you're already well into the program! I'm sure anyone new would love having people with a little time under their belt to give some advice!

I'm very excited to progress with you guys! Lets make this happen, and get ourselves in gear!

ninepaw
09-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Alright, so I had to make this thread again so I could say...

I RAN MY FIRST 5K TODAY!!! :D :D :D

It was pretty awesome, and I am so proud of myself that I really made it this far! I'm going to write a post in my blog about it that goes more into it than this, but I just HAD to get in here and shout about it a little!

Hope everyone moves to this thread well! I'd hate to lose people in the shift. ;)

dudesmom
09-13-2010, 02:44 AM
So glad you started it again! I was missing it all day! Congrats on getting a 5k under your belt, I'll have to check out your blog because i want to know all about it.

As for me, I did W5D3 today, which is a 20 minute run. I made it, and I really didn't even think it was too bad. I was a little unsure of what I was going to do since I usually double the intervals, so that would mean 2 20 minute runs for me. Once I finished the first one, I did a five minute walk and figured I would just do whatever my body allowed. It allowed another 20 minute run!!! I feel totally awesome! I wanted to high-five myself when I was done! Dorky, I know, but those endorphins were great. :) I also kept my pedometer on only for the runs, so I actually got my running pace (it was a slow 3.93 mph) and I ended up running a total of 2.64 miles between the two runs. It's such a big accomplishment for me. Okay, enough about me. How was everyone else's weekend?

Rochester
09-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Diana!!! I waited all day for you to post about your 5K. I checked the forum so frequently I felt like a freakin' stalker. :lol: I look forward to hearing all the details.

@Dudesmom - That's pretty awesome. Be careful not to overdo it though because that can lead to injury. Trust the wisdom of the plan. Maybe try switching to running for distance instead of time?

I think I think I posted this in the other thread but I'll say it again here. My run yesterday was fantastic - the weather was perfect and it was just one of those days when I slipped right into the groove. And I ran a 5K distance in under 40 minutes...still a wretched time but a huge accomplishment for me.

Happy running everybody! :running:

Bac0s
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Yay!

Great job, ninepaw! I can't wait to hear all about it!

I did w8d1 yesterday. Felt a little wonky at the end, but my blood sugar was getting a little low (have type 1 diabetes). Can't believe I ran 28 minutes in a row.

leannerenee
09-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Can't wait to read it Diana. Woo hoo!

Did W4D1 yesterday and struggled. I think it's because I haven't had the opportunity to exercise on my off days because I've been so busy. I DID walk vigorously for about two-8 counts of my last 5 minute run and was so MAD at myself for slowing down. :( It's been an off week for my weight loss in general. ToM...

Meeky2004
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Congrats Ninepaw!!! I'm looking forward to reading all about it :D As for me, I started W2D1 today but I've been run/walking on my non C25K days too. So for today, every time I would get a good jogging pace going for my run interval, I had to stop and walk. After I finished I decided to skip ahead to W5 which all of you know is a straight 20 minute jog. And I did it! I couldn't believe it, it was like some crazy zone that I got in. Now my pace is another story because I'm pretty sure I'm slow as molasses. But I was jogging nevertheless and I feel amazing :D.

ninepaw
09-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Blog post is up, with pictures and all! ;) Thanks everyone for the support, it was really amazing to me that I made it!

dudesmom
09-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Ninepaw- read your blog, sounds like a fun day. That's awesome that you and your mom ran together, I'm sure having support running next to you really made it easier! Congrats on your first 5k!

Rochester- Thanks for the advice. I know in my head that I should probably tone it down a little, but it's hard because I really feel strong enough to do this, plus all this running has reminded me of how much I used to love running (I'm talking way back in the day when I was on the 7th and 8th grade track teams). Plus I also get that sense of accomplishment when I can actually do something like this. BTW-Congrats on running 5k in less than 40 minutes, I think that's awesome!

So tonight was a planned rest day for me. My original plan was to do homework as soon as my dudes were asleep, but they were just crazy today, so instead I did productive stuff like watched Jersey Shore. I haven't decided what I'm doing tomorrow, it's between another rest day (though I don't usually do 2 back to back) or W6D1. For now though, it is definitely homework time!

leannerenee
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I completed W4D2 this morning. Anyone else have a rough W4? The thing is, I know it's all mental. I slowed during two of the four runts today for about an 8-count each time. To make up for it, I ran some during my cool down.

Also, it is staying dark later in the mornings and that bums me out because I like AM runs. :-(

Allowatt
09-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I completed W4D2 this morning. Anyone else have a rough W4? The thing is, I know it's all mental. I slowed during two of the four runts today for about an 8-count each time. To make up for it, I ran some during my cool down.

Also, it is staying dark later in the mornings and that bums me out because I like AM runs. :-(

I had a tough week 4. Well, actually, everything between 2 and 4 were really tough for me. But it gets easier. I'm on week 9 day 2 now (1 left to go!) and I actually look FORWARD to running now. It is a very, very unfamiliar phenomenon and I kind of love it ;)

Annita
09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I jumped to week 8 today.
To be honest, today wasn't a great jog at all.
I hate it very much, and by the 17 minutes I wanted to quit, so I thought ok i'll do 3 more minutes but then by the 20 minutes I heard that voice "it's halfway" and magically I wanted to finish the jog. I mean, I still didn't like it until the very end, but I somehow manage to jog through 28 minutes. I did slow couple seconds here and there but overall I think I completed the jog today nicely.

I'm proud of myself. But still today isn't a great running day. And while typing this, I still have to admit I don't like running very much. But it gives me a good workout for my standard (and i dislike workout) so i guess i'll stick to it. I think the problem also lies in the fact that i run at home. And you know, always looking at your same old wall every time running, it can be boring to no end. Thank god I have my tv to accompany, but there is still about nature when you run outside that running at home can't compare. But my schedule just doesn't allow me to run outside.

And good job everyone, everytime I read this thread, I have some motivations to finish my jog. <3 :hug:

Rochester
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I use a Nike+ to track my runs, and when you upload your data, if you've accomplished something noteworthy, a person pops up to announce it and congratulate you. (How cool is that?) This morning I was notified that I'd run my best mile yet, with a 12.22 pace. Sweet! :D

Happy running everybody! :running: Life after C25K is spectacular! :yay:

dudesmom
09-15-2010, 12:12 AM
I did W6D1 today, no problems. I only have 1 interval run left now before the long runs start for the rest of the program! I can't believe the end is so near. Then I need to start changing things up, like working on my pace and actually running outside. I guess I shouldn't get to far ahead of myself yet. Hope everyone else is doing well!

jesslaso
09-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Jessica and I just joined this site. I've been browsing the past few days and only just now stumbled upon this c25k thread! I actually started the program last week, and did w2d1 today :). I've always hated running, to be honest, but I think it had more to do with the fact that it was forced upon me in school. Now that I'm 22, graduated from college, jobless, with nothing to do all day but work on my resume and cover letters, I figured why not? It will give me something to do, something to work toward, and it will be good for my body.

Last time I weighed myself I was 165 (say mid- August-ish). I've been the same weight since my senior year of high school, and now is the time to finally get down to a healthy weight! I'm only 5'2" so 165 puts me in the 'obese' range unfortunately :(.

I really don't want to make this about the weight though. I want to make it more about the way I feel, about the goals I'm achieving while running ... and the weight loss will be just an added perk. So, on purpose I am not weighing myself until October 1st. I know that the first few weeks running I am likely to put on muscle weight and won't lose very much if any at all... so instead of constantly weighing myself and being disappointed... I just won't ;).

Wow, that ended up being quite a bit longer then I intended! haha. Anyway, I look forward to following everyone's progress and cheering each other on!!

Jess

tinycities
09-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey everyone, just found the new thread!

I just completed W3D2 this morning. It was good! I have to say, I was really terrified at the thought of doing the 3-minute long runs, even though I know that probably sounds really silly given the longer runs later on in the programme! I think the programme seems to be working really well for me and improving my fitness, because I'm coping with the longer runs much better than I thought. I'm still a bit nervous about Week 4 (alternating 3- and 5-minute runs), but I'm sure it will be manageable when I get there!

Welcome Jess! I'm really glad you found this forum and the C25K thread! I have the same feelings about the C25K too - like you, I really want to lose weight, but am primarily doing that by healthy eating. Whilst I think the running will help me lose weight, that's more of a bonus, and I also want to do it just to feel healthy and fit. Having said that, I think C25K has really helped my weight loss so far! It's probably because I did practically no exercise before starting the programme, and I think starting running has helped me break through a bit of a weight-loss plateau! Anyway, best of luck with the programme - I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

Annita - well done for persevering despite feeling not-so-great about running all the time! I had a day like that the other day, where I just really didn't enjoy the run much and was just clock-watching until it finished. Fortunately I've had a couple of much more enjoyable runs since then, but like you, I think it's great to take satisfaction from the fact that you completed your run and did good things for your health and body, despite not feeling like it! Hope you stick with it, I'd love to be at W8, you've made really good progress!

Allowatt
09-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Guess what everyone! I just completed week 9 day 3, I am officially a C25K graduate!!!!!!!!!!!! :running::broc::cb::carrot:

It feels so good to accomplish this. I never thought I'd stick with it because I never stick with any workout program, but now I have so much pride because I actually stayed with a program and plan on continuing with bridge to 10K :-)

Woo!

leannerenee
09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Woo hoo, allowat!!!! I am soo happy for you. :) :) :)

Jess, I always felt the same way about running. But now I notice, just 4 weeks in, I feel soooo much better on my running days. Download some great podcasts and it will make running a lot easier.

I was talking with my dietitian yesterday about how I am not seeing a loss on the scale but I can tell in my clothes that I am slimming. She showed me a model of 5 lbs of fat and a model of 5 lbs of muscle. The muscle- while still being the exact same weight- was only 60% of the size of the fat. It finally clicked for me that muscle takes up less space than fat. Lol.

ninepaw
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Welcome Jessica! :D Happy to have you here! You really found a fantastic group here in this thread... Tons of support and just enough silliness from time to time to keep things entertaining! ;)

A HUGE congratulations to Allowat!!! You did it!!! How freaking awesome does that feel? Just look how far you've come and I'll bet you can't help but be rediculously proud of yourself. I sure was when I finished!

leannerenee: How funny! Those little, "Oh!" moments are so much fun. ;) The nice thing is that even though you're not seeing the scale move much, the clothes are changing... Progress is progress! Just keep moving along and I'm sure the scale will get with the program sooner or later.

Rochester
09-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Guess what everyone! I just completed week 9 day 3, I am officially a C25K graduate!!!!!!!!!!!! :running::broc::cb::carrot:

:cp: :congrat: :celebrate: :cheer:

Annita
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
i just finished week 8 day 2.
It was a great jog. I even faster my pace a little bit. Sweat bucket. ^_^
But at the last 3 minutes, my knees started to hurt a little. It wasn't very painful but it was uncomfortable. But only last 3 minutes so I bared it and finished the jog. Right when I got to walk again, my knees feel fine. I guess that's because I pushed myself a little further than I can completely handle but not so bad.

Anyways, I'm glad tomorrow is rest day :D

jesslaso
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
w2/d2: today was okay. I really tried to push myself to go faster, because running at 4.8 seems too easy. So I did a few runs at 5.0 and one at 5.5, and then at the end I ran an extra minute and a half just because I felt like it. I'm feeling pretty good, but when I got off the treadmill I was experiencing pain in my upper leg. It wasn't so bad but it was almost like the muscle was going stiff. So I tried stretching it and walking around the gym and that seemed to help, although even now, 20 minutes later I'm still feeling traces of pain. I'm thinking I pushed it too hard and probably shouldn't have run the extra minute and a half at the end... and I should probably stretch more before running!

Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes! I did download Robert Ullrey's podcast and used it all last week and this past Tuesday. It really helps because I'm not sure if I would be able to run if I had to watch the clock constantly!

Last night I created my own "podcast" using Audacity (it's free, google it!) and used it during my run today. I liked it better then Robert Ullrey just because I was able to have my own music - which keeps me from becoming bored - and I was also able to add a lot of encouragement in there for myself ;).

So rest day tomorrow, and then day 3 of week 2 on Saturday!

Jess

gypsychic
09-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Hello folks... just got a new treadmill :) i'm super excited to c this thread and be a c25k grad :o

W1D1 .. and i was able to jog/walk for 13 mins.. rather than 20.. .. but i feel grht for a person who hasnt jogged since years :D .. feeling so high rite now lol .. just a quick question.. so are we supposed to stretch at the beginning?.. i only did little stretches after my run.

jeanies
09-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I did it Sept 12 my first 5k since graduating c25k a couple of weeks ago. Official time 36 mins 13 secs. I had a blast my only complaint was the last .4 mile was a muddy horse racing track that I wasn't prepared for. I would have saved up some of my energy for that had I known how hard it was to run through. Overall a great experience and looking forward to improving my time on my Thanksgiving Day 5k.

gypsychic- I only stretch after the workouts when the muscles are warm.
Best of luck with the program!

dudesmom
09-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi all and hello to the newbies! Just finished W6D2 today. Even after a day off, it wasn't a real impressive performance. I just felt like the time went by really slowly (first time I've felt that way!) and I had to push myself to keep going. Hopefully it was just an off day and my next run will be better.

tinycities
09-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Hey all! I completed Week 3 this morning, yay! Feels really good, and I'm amazed that I still feel really happy and positive about this programme. I know there are occasional off days, but generally, I feel totally fine, or really look forward, to going out for my runs in the morning. Here it's 11.45am, and even though I went out running just before 8.30am, it seems like it was many hours ago because I feel so energised and I almost forgot that I did half an hour of great exercise this morning! I love that feeling and the way C25K slots into my routine so easily.

Allowatt - Congratulations on completing C25K! That must be so satisfying! I've not heard of bridge to 10K so will Google it - is it a similar sort of thing to C25K (intervals etc.)? I was wondering what to do after C25K as I think I'd definitely like to stick with the running!

gypsychic - Welcome to the programme! I found the W1D1 really exhausting too, but it turned out I was just running too fast during the jogging bits, so I decided to slow my pace down a lot and it's much more manageable! I'm no expert at all with the right thing to do for stretching, I know some people don't like to stretch "cold" muscles, but I tend to just do a few small stretches for a few minutes before beginning, hoping that and my warm-up walk will get me in good shape to start the workout!

jeanies - Well done on completing the 5K! I've never done one before but when I finish the programme, I'd really like to have a go :) Seems like a great idea to have a milestone like that to celebrate how far you've come!

dudesmom - Ugh I know that feeling! Even though I've been doing the plan way less time than you, that's happened to me once before (I think it was the beginning of last week). I found I'd really been enjoying all of the runs, but there was one that I just did not enjoy one bit. I was counting down the time for every jog and it seemed to really drag on! But I think you're right, in that I'm pretty sure that's just a temporary thing, and as someone said to me when I'd said how crap I felt about it, at least you can take some satisfaction that you completed the run despite not really wanting to! Willpower kept you going :)

Rochester
09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
.. just a quick question.. so are we supposed to stretch at the beginning?.. i only did little stretches after my run.

Stretching is very important. This page (http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm) has the stretches that I do both before and after a run. I also do this (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/qt/ITBand-Stretch.htm) stretch...it really helps my hip and back.

@Jeanies - Congrats on the 5K! That's an awesome time! :cheer2:

tinycities
09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Rochester - thank you so much for posting that link! I had seen it ages ago linked from somewhere else, and was using the stretches on there, and then couldn't find the link again, I was hoping someone would post it here! Thanks! *bookmarks*

Bac0s
09-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I did w8d2 this morning. I'm amazed that I'm almost done... only 4 runs left!

When I started, my *only* goal was to complete the entire program. I am so close now, and so excited! However, I am still SO slow, though I have gained an increase of .7 mph while running. Once I finish, I plan to start over on week 1 and push myself to get my speed up to where I am comfortable enough to do a 5k in a time that wouldn't completely mortify me (I'm thinking under 40 min, which is still unbelievably slow, but whatever). I'm trying to come up with a plan to go through c25k again, but also continue the longer runs while I'm doing it. Any ideas for a schedule?

dudesmom
09-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I did w8d2 this morning. I'm amazed that I'm almost done... only 4 runs left!

When I started, my *only* goal was to complete the entire program. I am so close now, and so excited! However, I am still SO slow, though I have gained an increase of .7 mph while running. Once I finish, I plan to start over on week 1 and push myself to get my speed up to where I am comfortable enough to do a 5k in a time that wouldn't completely mortify me (I'm thinking under 40 min, which is still unbelievably slow, but whatever). I'm trying to come up with a plan to go through c25k again, but also continue the longer runs while I'm doing it. Any ideas for a schedule?

Congrats on being so close to the end! I know I'm not as far as you, but I've been thinking about what I'm going to do when I graduate (since my 5k is not til December) and I'm also going do some repeating to try to up my pace. I kind of figured maybe I would start out around W4 or so, but maybe starting at W1 is a really good idea. Then I'd only have to do 60 seconds of fast(er) running to start out with! How many days a week are you planning on running if you're going to incorporate long runs too? I'll probably just see how your schedule works out and copy from you. That helps you a lot, right? :)

Tonight is W6D3 for me. I am officially done with intervals now, which is a little scary. Hopefully tonight's run will go better than Thursday's did. I guess I will find out soon!

Rochester
09-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Two new PRs on my run this morning! 5K distance - 38.32. 1 mile pace - 12.18. :flow1:

I am living proof that this is possible. On June 1, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds! Dream big everybody...and keep running! :running:

Allowatt
09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks everybody :-D

Just got done with B210K w1d1, 40 minutes of running, ahhhh! My calves are starting to hate me again, kind of like they did when I started C25K!

dudesmom
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Well, didn't get to W6D3 last night because (insert excuses here, some better than ohters!), but i did it tonight. Not bad at all, my mind was a billion miles away from running so the time flew. i know some of you run to music, I run to my thoughts! I have no idea of my speed or distance, just that I ran 25 minutes straight and I felt like I could do more, but I didn't. Had a crappy eating day, but tomorrow is back in the saddle and hopefully I'll remember how these crappy foods made me feel sleepy, barfy, and just generally yucky. Enough from me for now.

Rochester and Allowatt-Glad that you grads are having post c25k success. Can't wait to join your ranks!

tinycities
09-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Hey all! Brilliantly inspiring to hear of all the success people have been having so far!

I did W4D1 this morning - I found it much more tiring than Week 3, with the 5 minute runs, but I got through it! I wasn't jogging quickly at all, but I'm just really happy to have done today's run since I was so worried about the five-minute runs when I was looking ahead in the schedule.

It's really interesting to hear what people are thinking of doing after the programme. Like a number of you have said, I think I'm also really interested in doing something to increase my pace whilst running - I'm really pleased to be doing C25K at my current (slow!) pace, but I think it would be great for fitness to be able to try it again at a quicker pace once I've got through the programme. I also don't want to do something that takes too long every day - because C25K is roughly half an hour, it fits in so easily before I go to work, but I think if I did a programme that was more like an hour, I'd have to rejig things and really think about it because it's more of a time committment. I'm thinking something of higher intensity but equal duration might work for me, so the C25K but sped up could be good! I suppose I'll see how I feel once I finish (fingers crossed!) :)

leannerenee
09-20-2010, 09:50 AM
I am having a really hard time. I did W4D3 Friday and just couldn't run the whole time I was supposed to. It wasn't because I was tired or sore, I just couldn't/ didn't do it. HELP! Should I repeat W4 or Just one day?

I didn't run yesterday because I went to a brewfest all day Saturday and was in no shape for running Sunday AM. Also, I notice my runs are more difficult when I am not hydrating so I ate well and drank a lot of water yesterday and am making sure I do again today so I can run tonight. But what should I do? Do I move on to W5???

dudesmom
09-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I am having a really hard time. I did W4D3 Friday and just couldn't run the whole time I was supposed to. It wasn't because I was tired or sore, I just couldn't/ didn't do it. HELP! Should I repeat W4 or Just one day?

I didn't run yesterday because I went to a brewfest all day Saturday and was in no shape for running Sunday AM. Also, I notice my runs are more difficult when I am not hydrating so I ate well and drank a lot of water yesterday and am making sure I do again today so I can run tonight. But what should I do? Do I move on to W5???

Here's my opinion on the subject: If you're not making it through the 5 minute runs, don't move on to week 5 yet. W5 has 5, 8, and 20 minute runs, so you really need to be able to get through a 5 minute before you move on. If I were you, I'd repeat W4. Maybe even slow your pace way down for those 5 minute runs, then when you get to that mental block where you feel you "need" to walk, you can tell yourself your pretty much walking with a bounce, so there's no need to actually walk. At this point, it's not really the pace that matters, it's just getting through it. Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject. Good luck to you!

Whoops, I forgot to mention, if it's just the thought of running 5 minutes that has you so psyched out, maybe break it up in your mind. Basically, a 5 minute run is just two 2 1/2 minute runs. Or, once you make it to 2 1/2, tell yourself you're halfway there. That helps me out SOOOO much! I have done that with not only the running intervals but the intervals in general since I started c25k, and it's helped me tremendously. It's almost like a mantra "Halfway done, 3/4s done, all done!" :)

Allowatt
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Whoops, I forgot to mention, if it's just the thought of running 5 minutes that has you so psyched out, maybe break it up in your mind. Basically, a 5 minute run is just two 2 1/2 minute runs. Or, once you make it to 2 1/2, tell yourself you're halfway there. That helps me out SOOOO much! I have done that with not only the running intervals but the intervals in general since I started c25k, and it's helped me tremendously. It's almost like a mantra "Halfway done, 3/4s done, all done!" :)

I use the "halfway" method too. Because even if I was running 30 minutes straight, I would get tired at 10 minutes. Then I would think about something else for a few minutes, get to 15, and say, "Hey, halfway there! You can do that again." I also listen to audiobooks when I run so if you can get enveloped in that, you don't realize how tired you are (or how tired you're *not*) and you can't play headgames with yourself. That was always my problem with running, the headgames. Distraction is totally key!

Bac0s
09-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh, yes the halfway method, lol. I tell myself, "Ok, I can do this for five more minutes..." and then so on, and so on. It's getting easier.

I finished week 8 today! I can't believe that I'm only 3 runs from completing this! My 28 minutes today were SO much easier than my first 20 minute run.

leannerenee
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks! I think I am going to stop trying to rush the program so I can run my 5K on 10/17. I might go to just running 3 days a week instead of every other day and am going to repeat W4. I am going to sign up for a local Thanksgiving day race and make that my goal date.

I don't want to set myself up for failure/ quitting.

pink sparkle
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
So, I haven't posted in the C25K thread in ages. I'm kind of disappointed. I've still been doing the program somewhat but I've just been repeating W5D2. For ages.

I've been afraid of disappointing myself by not being able to do W5D3. I decided to give it a try today. Things went so-so. All of my workout pants are now too big (YAY!) so I used a safety pin to try to pin it up. Didn't work LOL. During my run, the safety pin popped open and stabbed me in the side! So...I completed the 20 minute run but I had to stop maybe about 5 or 6 times (only for a few seconds) to try to hold up my pants and get the safety pin back in place. I'll be repeating it again.

Peaches5577
09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Ok so I have been MIA for a while now. Too many things going on, business trip, etc totally threw me off track. Then came home sick!
So...head cold is getting slightly better, figured I would try a run tonight. Starting over again basically as I have had about three weeks of no running. So lets say, W1D1 was today. Run was longer than supposed to be, but felt good. Can't wait to see how well it goes when I can actually breathe again.

tinycities
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey all :)

It's fantastic to read what you're all saying, I am finding reading about other people's experiences and advice (particularly around the Week 4 / Week 5 period) incredibly helpful and motivating! It's particularly useful since I've just completed W4D2 this morning and I'm finding a lot of the great advice being given very helpful too.

leannerenee - It sounds as though we're almost on the exact same place in the programme! I too have found the 5-minute runs in Week 4 very challenging. I have been getting through it, but seriously, my pace is so slow. I don't intend to be a fast runner with my first go at the C25K, and I'm not joking, I think my jogging pace is barely faster than a walk. It was actually quite embarrassing today, there was this chap walking ahead of me, and he heard me coming and looked around, but obviously I took way longer to catch up with him than he thought, because of my slow jogging! That said, for me, after feeling like I was going to explode by doing runs far too fast during Week 1, I've not really set speed as a goal for this programme (not for the first go at C25K anyway!). Even with my slow jogging, I know my heart rate is up significantly more than walking, and I basically go as fast (or slow!) as I feel I can go whilst still making it to the end of each interval. Despite the slow pace, I do find it a real push to do the Week 4 runs, and I've felt tired and out of breath by the end of the workout, but I am getting through it. If it helps, I'd definitely try just slowing your pace a little bit, to make it that much more manageable! It's definitely a good idea to repeat it if you're finding it too much to get through the longer runs, because like you say, there's no rush and it's better to take it as it comes rather than force it if it doesn't feel right :)

pink sparkle - You have my sympathy with clothing malfunctions, although yours sounds particularly painful! When I woke up to do a run the other day, I managed to break the bloody drawstring on my trousers by pulling it too tight, leading to a very fiddly and very annoying time trying to feed the repaired drawstring back through the tiny hole! That definitely sounds great about the 20 minute run through. Totally understand why you want to repeat it, but it must be great for confidence to know that you can do it :)

Question for you all, whatever stage you are at: What week or day of the programme have you found most challenging so far? Do you find that where you are currently (if it's as far through the programme as you've ever been) is the toughest? Or do you find weeks where there are bigger jumps in running length and number of intervals the most challenging?

For me, so far, I've definitely found Week 4 the hardest, and that's where I am now. I found the five minute runs really tough! The next hardest, for me, was Week 1. This was partially because I was running too fast, but also I found it hard as there were just so many intervals to do!

I'd be really interested to read your thoughts on this :)

Allowatt
09-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I just completed the program last week and I remember week 4 being the hardest. But it comes and goes, everything gets way easier if you are diligent with it.

Case in point, I ran 4 miles this morning :-D I couldn't run 3 minutes at the beginning of July.

leannerenee
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
pink sparkle - Good for you for still getting through it, Wardrobe Malfunctions and all! :-)

allowat- That was so encouraging to read! Look at what you've been able to do in a month and a half.

tinycities- My running pace is pretty slow as well. I am going to try to slow it down more for these 5 minute runs.

So I'm sick :( and haven't run since Friday. I decided my new running schedule is going to be Tues, Thurs and Sat. I am going to Yoga tonight and hopefully will feel well enough to run tomorrow.

jesslaso
09-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Everyone's posts are so inspiring!!

This week was supposed to be week 3, but halfway through last week I decided to run outside as opposed to the treadmill .... and it was a big shock at how different and more difficult it is to run outside! So I've had to completely redo week 2 running outside this time. So at this point I've officially done five days of week 2, but that's okay! I can definitely tell I'm improving, today my run was a lot better then my first run outside!

I plan on doing one more day of week 2 on either Friday or Saturday, and then starting week 3 on Monday.

My recommendation to anyone just starting the program is to NOT run on the treadmill, especially if your end goal is to run in a 5k race at the end like me.

And also, I wanted to tell all of you about dailymile.com. I don't know if any of you are members there, but it's a great website to post your workouts. It's actually a lot like facebook, but for athletes :P.

Jess

tinycities
09-23-2010, 05:34 AM
jesslaso - I totally get what you're saying about the treadmill! With greater knowledge of the treadmill machine, I am sure I could do more to adjust the settings to mirror outside running, but when I was jogging on a treadmill a year ago (and really wasn't that fit), I could do half an hour of constant running, no problem at all. Compared to the outside running I do for C25K, I'm currently in Week 4 and find that the five-minute runs are seriously challenging in comparison, even though I'm not running fast at all.

Like you, I've undoubtedly found running outside more physically fatiguing than my experience of running on a treadmill. I guess with running outside, you have to use energy to propel your body forwards as well as up and down (whereas on the treadmill you just run on the spot and the ground is pulled under your feet for you), and I suppose there are things like wind resistance to factor in too. I'm sure that if you knew what you were doing and really wanted to run indoors for whatever reason, you could make adjustments to your treadmill settings to make it more closely match the experience of being outside, but for me, I have no barriers to running outside, and I prefer the experience so much more!

pink sparkle
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I have a huge smile on my face right now!! I completed W5D3 again! The pants I wore today are also too big (no money to buy new workout clothes right now) but they didn't require a safety pin lol. I made it through! I'll probably repeat the day again or go back to one of the earlier weeks and practice for speed, and then start W6 next week.

tinycities, I guess I'll say weeks 4 and 5 have been the hardest so far. I repeated both of those weeks multiple times. With week 5, I think it was mostly a mental thing of being afraid of the 20-minute run.

jesslasso, I do mine on a treadmill. I've always read that running is easier on a treadmill. But I ran outside (for the first time) last week and found it easier than the treadmill. Maybe because I wasn't worried about falling off lol.

jesslaso
09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
pink sparkle, I worry about falling off the treadmill too! haha. And yay for completing w5! That's so great! :)

tinycities, I think I like running outside better too, but it's also nice to have the treadmill for when there is bad weather.

tinycities
09-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Just completed W4D3 this morning, so Week 4 is done... yay! It has been tiring, but I've been getting through it and I found D3 noticeably easier than D1. I will press on to Week 5 and just see how it goes :) If I can't manage it then I'll just repeat it, but I think I'd just like to have a go at it and see what happens. Can't believe I'm only a couple of runs away from the 20 minute one - seems like I only started C25K barely any time ago! How time flies...!

pink sparkle - BRILLIANT! Well done :) That must be such a brilliant feeling. I also have too-big running clothes, but can't really afford any new stuff at the moment, but perhaps I can save up and buy myself something in the not-too-distant future!

jesslaso - I totally agree, running on a treadmill is great when it's not so pleasant outside! Unfortunately I don't have access to one anymore, without coughing up for a gym membership, which is a shame! There used to be a free gym at the apartment block where I lived in, but I've moved now so can't use it anymore - shame! I'm a bit worried about my first run in bad weather, not so much because of getting wet myself, but protecting my iPod!

Bac0s
09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
I got up at 6 am this morning to run. What was I thinking? I have a very busy day ahead, and my only other option would have been to run while my daughter is at preschool. I wanted that time to do other stuff, though, so 6 am it was.

Anyway, I did week 9, day 1 today! I felt ELATED after I finished. I felt like I could keep going (if necessary, lol). I am just amazed at how well the program works. Also, loving the fact that my 7 year old made a comment to me as we were walking to the bus stop this morning, telling me that I'm walking a lot faster these days. :)

Rochester
09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Tomorrow morning two friends and I are doing this really fun challenge (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=161642447184908) -run (or walk) a 5K distance while carrying 5 pounds of groceries in a backpack, and then donate the food to a local food bank. (It's a virtual challenge, not an event to go to, so you're welcome to join in and do it also!)

I'm so excited because (1) it's a nifty idea and (2) these friends were inspired to start C25K because of my success with the program and it's awesome to be doing this with them!

AND I got new running shoes today (finally!). Brooks Ghost. My feet fell in love and insisted that I buy them. :D

Happy running everybody! :running:

dudesmom
09-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Bacos-Awesome! Both the comment from your child and the fact that you completed W9D1 are great!

Rochester-I love your challenge, and it's so cool that you inspired others to try the program. Enjoy your new shoes too!

I did W7D2 today, I feel very lazy because it's Friday and only my second run of the week! My knee has been bothering me, so I've been trying to do things that are less strenuous. Today went well though, knee didn't hurt and i actually ran 30 minutes instead of 25 (just to see if I could). I can't believe that I only have 7 runs left now!!! Okay, enough for me, now it's time to watch a movie!

Cookc04
09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Was trawling through 3FC last week and found all these people doing the C25K programme. I've always been a hopeless runner, even when I was younger - I could swim 5km in 2 hours each morning,I had a pulse of 40bpm, but I could run- well about 100m. I'm a bit bored with swimming at the moment - so I thought I'd see if I could handle C25K. Today I did W1D1, and I didn't die, It was a relief that it was over after 20 minutes, but I feel happy now.
I did use one of the podcasts to help me get through it, and I did take the advice not to job like I'm running a race. The park I ran around is popular picnic place and I"m sure all these people were laughing inside at how I would jog slower than I walked, I realise I have to start somewhere.

This is the pick me up I needed. I went over to my sister's for family dinner last night - and the dinner was way to salty - on Saturday morning I hit a low morning weight of 84.8 kg, this morning 85.8, 1kg of water retention - how depressing.

dudesmom
09-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Cookc04-Welcome! Glad to hear that you made it through day 1, it really goes pretty quick if you stick with it. Sorry to hear about the water weight, I'm definitely dealing with the same thing myself!

Question for the grads out there- Were you running a full 3 miles by the time you finished the program, or were you running 30 minutes even if it wasn't a full 3 miles? If you were running less than 3 miles in the 30 minutes, how did you work up to 3 miles after you finished the program? Did you do it gradually or just start doing 3 miles? I know I still have 2 weeks left, but I'm thinking about what I'm going to do afterwards. I know I want to work on my pace, and I have a plan for that, but haven't yet formulated my plan of attack to get to the 3 mile mark (since I'm so slow). Any input would be appreciated.

Other than that, I finished W7D3 today, made it through though I didn't have a ton of energy. It wasn't like my legs were tired or I was breathing to heavy, I was just overall tired. I guess some days are like that. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Rochester
09-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Question for the grads out there- Were you running a full 3 miles by the time you finished the program, or were you running 30 minutes even if it wasn't a full 3 miles?

I switched to running for distance instead of time in W5, so on W9D1 I did 3 miles in 38:07.

I am still working on distance instead of speed. I tried to switch to speedwork after graduating and quickly found out that I just really didn't have a faster speed to use for intervals. Someone told me to continue to work on distance, and as I built endurance, speed would happen naturally. I'm using Hal Higdon's 10K program (http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm). One of the great things about this program is it also includes cross training and strength training in the schedule.

tinycities
09-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Hey all! Just checking in to say hello and see how you are all doing!

Rochester - that's really interesting to hear about the differences in running for speed/distance. I initially thought I would work on speed after I (fingers crossed!) complete C25K, since I feel pretty slow, and I wasn't sure how I could measure distance, but then I guess I could plot out distances on Google Maps (or those ones designed for running!), and then I would know how far I was going. It's food for thought!

I just completed W5D1 this morning... only one run to go before the dreaded 20-minute run on Friday!

The podcast I listen to (Robert Ullery) has just one podcast for Week 5, with all of the instructions for the different days given in one go. As I was doing my three five-minute runs this morning, I was mulling over how I'll feel and whether I'll be able to do the twenty minutes without stopping. I managed the first two five-minute runs perfectly well, but felt pretty tired and exhausted in the last half of the final five-minute run! I'm really hoping that I can keep my stamina up for the eight-minute runs on Wednesday and the twenty minute run on Friday!

Saw lots of odd things on my run today... a dead owl (!! :() right on the sea wall, which was sad, and two huge fish jumping out really high from the sea. The tide was extremely high up against the sea wall today, and even though it was really flat and calm, my feet got soaked as the water swelled up and went onto the wall!

In normal weather conditions and at low tide, it looks like this: picture (http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg-Dawlish-Warren/8DLW-Hottentot-Cliffs-Langstone.jpg) and picture (http://www.local-national.com/ln/media/fp-images/dawlish_sea_front_promenade_devon.jpg)
But when the weather is bad and the tide is in, I have to run somewhere else, because it looks like this: picture (http://www.therailwaycentre.com/NewSitePOD/POD22_09.jpg)

As you can see, there are plenty of options for a good soaking :lol: I tend not to mind getting my feet a bit wet, but as you can see from that last picture, when it's particularly stormy, it's not at all safe to even try to go onto the sea wall.

I'd love to see where you guys run, if you have any pictures! It's so interesting, particularly as we are all so international on 3FC :D

pink sparkle
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
tinycities, great job on completing W5D1!! Where you run is beautiful! I wish I could run by the ocean :cry:. That last pic you posted is scary. A person would plan for a run but end up swimming! Unfortunately, I can't post where I run. You'd be looking at the back of somebody's head or body since I run in the gym. And I'd probably get kicked out for taking pics lol.

I completed W6D1 today. I started it on Friday but then just stopped during the last run. From boredom. I'm not sure why but today I kind of struggled. The 8-minute run seemed to go on forever. But, hey, I got through it so I'm proud of myself.

JayLei
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I lost my C25K I was in before, I'm so glad I found this one.

Woot! I got to the gym this morning and loaded up some ska on Pandora... looked at my C25K program WK4D3 and thought... heck! And pushed the WK5D1 button. And I got through it just fine! Better than I had Wk4, even! I think I do better without all the starts and stops.

I am finding that I'm getting very very tight from running, even with pre run stretches. Anybody else have that problem?

tinycities, I am so jealous that you have such a pretty place to run. How lucky!

KayNicole
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone, I am hoping to jump in. I did 6 weeks of C25K training over the summer and fell off my routine in late August. I have my very first 5K in just a few weeks so I have to get back out there and train again. I plan on getting a good run in today! Can't wait to tag along with you all. :D

dudesmom
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Rochester-thanks for the advice! I do feel like I have the ability to go faster, it's just going to be much harder, but maybe I will try to let in come naturally. I just feel so slow, especially when people post that they're slow and they're running at like 6.5 mph! That's way faster than what I do!

Tinycities-I love the pics! Right now I run in my kitchen, partly for convenience and partly because I'm embarrassed to run outdoors. I know it's weird, but for right now it serves the purpose!

Pink sparkle-good job making it through, sometimes the runs do seem to last forever though!

JayLei-I skipped over W4D2&3 because they seemed to easy to me. Well, maybe not to easy, but I felt ready to do more. I also liked having less intervals, somehow it seemed simpler to not have to deal with starting and stopping and keeping track...

KayNicole-Good luck on the upcoming 5k!

I actually ran this morning, which is unusual for me since I mostly run at night. I really need to get over my fear of running outside, but I still have that whole high school mentality of "everyone is looking at me," when in reality they don't give a damn! Anyway, I ran for distance today instead of time, so I ran 2.8 miles (should be 2.75, I'm on W8D1) in a totally craptacular 42.5 minutes. I don't know if some of my speed issue has to do with the fact that I run in my kitchen, but it's kind of disheartening. At least I still have a lot of time to prepare for my 5k so that maybe I won't come in dead last (though I'll be happy if I just finish and don't walk!). Hope everyone is having a good night!

Cookc04
09-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Wow - you have a big kitchen, or you running on the spot?
I'm trying to put in links to photo of where I am running that are already on the net let me know if it works. Carss Park, NSW Australia
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/view?q=carss+park&uname=ChristinaJCook&psc=G&filter=1#5394623123783391106

Bac0s
09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I FINISHED C25K this morning! It was not an easy run for me. My thighs are killing me from walking several flights of stairs on bleachers on Sunday. Anyway, I wanted to quit 2 minutes in but couldn't give up on my *last* day! I am thrilled that I did it!!

leannerenee
09-28-2010, 09:40 AM
WAY TO GO, Bac0s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dudesmom
09-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Cook-my kitchen is pretty long so I run back and forth...Definitely not as nice as where you run though!

Bacos-AWESOME!!! Congrats!

KayNicole
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Bacos- Way to go!! Congrats!

Cook- beautiful area. I have some really nice paths around my town but I have been sticking to a treadmill since its easy to see my distance and all that. I am slightly intimidated by the streets. I guess I think it is just easier to zone out and run and not have to worry about bikes, kids or cars. I will have to map out a few runs and get out there more.

Well I went for a run last night but my ipod was dead when I got to the gym so I decided to run a mile for my first night back. Geesh! I made it 9/10 of a mile before I gave in and walked. I added some distance in my cool down as a kind of "punishment" for not making the mile. lol I am going to try again today and see how I do then I will have to decide where to pick up in the program again.

ashley nicole
09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I keep reading about people doing this on the forums, so I've decided to try and see what I can do with it! The longest I've ever been able to run is 3 minutes and I think that was probably a fluke. Normally I get around 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes.

Today is the first day, so we'll see how it goes!

Cookc04
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Well Done Bacos!

Welcome Ashley, I'm on my first week also - just did W1D2, found it harder than W1D1 but I think I was jogging a bit faster. Seeing as we are starting about the same time we can track progress together. Although next week I have to take easy having some minor surgery and will not be able to run for 3 days.

Yes I'm really lucky, I've got some really pretty places to run, Carss Park is great because it's flat and there isn't as many people to dodge as you'd think there would be.... are other places prettier? No, I think that it's all to do with the cafes nearby, Carss Park Cafe is overpriced bad coffee. Here in Sydney there is a culture of doing a coastal walk and having a coffee afterwards with friends. Yet still we have a massive obesity problem.

We are in Spring at the moment, the weather is reasonably mild 70F / 20C. I expect that in summer I'll have to move to the treadmill and air conditioned comfort.

JayLei
09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Woot! Bac0s!

I've got a question for you all... do you/should you run every day?

I read about people who go out and run a few miles every day, but they seem to be "runners". Am I a "runner" even though, at this point, I can only run 15 minutes in broken intervals?

I'm getting to the point where I'm enjoying the run after I'm done, and I'm wanting to go do it... I'm hoping those feelings will soon transfer to during the run! :p

I've even been sitting at home in the evening thinking... I could go run again! Should I do that? Or will it hurt me in the long run?

ashley nicole
09-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Welcome Ashley, I'm on my first week also - just did W1D2, found it harder than W1D1 but I think I was jogging a bit faster. Seeing as we are starting about the same time we can track progress together. Although next week I have to take easy having some minor surgery and will not be able to run for 3 days.

Thank you! I just did my first run last night, so you're a day or so ahead of me anyway...we'll work it out! I'd love to be able to to keep track with someone else. I hope your surgery goes OK!

W1D1 was actually a little harder than I thought it would be! I've been doing un-structured intervals lately when walking/jogging, so I think I went in just slightly cocky. Whoops! I got it done, but I was surprised at how much my calves were burning. I did some good stretching though and I don't have any pain today, so that's good!

dudesmom
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
JayLei-I started out running 5-6 days, and doubling everything I was doing. I felt fine at first, but then my knee started bothering me, so I've had to scale it back. I think the whole concept of only doing 3 days and non-consecutive days is to keep from getting injured. I would love to run every day, but I don't love pain!

Cookc04
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
When you use a muscle for the first time it sort of tears and then recovers stronger, this takes about a day for the muscles to recover. YOu may notice that your when exert your muscles they are much pore painful after a day than they were after 1 hour.
When you are getting into running you will be building the running muscles. During this time it's important to have a day off in between to let the muscles get stronger, you will have less injuries later. It's the same with any new exercise you take up.
On the alternate days - why not do another challenge... the 100 push up challenge for example
http://hundredpushups.com/what.html#alt
or do some stretching
I feel exactly the same - I feel a sense of achievement at the end of the run, and on the off days I wish I could run.

Cookc04
09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I have no problem with my calves, I am actually not feeling that much pain yet. Only my glutes

tinycities
09-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey all! Sorry I've not been about for a couple of days.

Bac0s - Well done! That's such a terrific achievement :)

Cookc04 - What a lovely area... running by water is so nice! Where you run looks so refreshing and peaceful!

ashley nicole - Welcome, and I hope you really enjoy C25K! I've found this group really supportive and it's so interesting to hear of other people's experiences :)

JayLei - I just run the three days a week, in the mornings, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I have also had a similar feeling to you, feeling really energetic at other times (presumably because of being fitter!), but I keep the running to those times partially because I like the structure of the C25K programme and I want to stick to it, and partially, because like dudesmom said, I don't want to develop any strains or injuries. It's really nice feeling so enthusiastic about it though!

Yesterday, I ran W5D2 and was really surprised that I could actually do the 8 minutes! The last few minutes of the second 8-minute run were fairly tough, but it's amazing how much of it is caused by your thoughts and other mental things. For example, at the very start of the second 8-minute interval, I immediately felt like I had a stitch, and was thinking "oh no, how am I going to continue for another 7 minutes?!", but then I just concentrated on the scenery around me, the pain went and it was fine. In fact, the weather was appalling, it was raining and very windy, and I was just concentrating on the dramatic sea weather, and it made the run go by much more easily. Yay!

Tomorrow for me is a bit of a milestone... it's W5D3, so the 20-minute no-stopping run! Eek! I have to say, I'm quite nervous about it because I just want to do it so badly, and it seems like such a long time, but at the same time, I've managed the rest of the programme, so hopefully with the same mindset I will manage tomorrow. I'll post and let you know how it goes! :)

Bac0s
09-30-2010, 07:54 AM
I ran every day, like the program suggests. Like others said, you really need to build your muscles and take it slow to avoid injury. I definitely had days off that I felt like I wanted to go run (and then the next day, when I got to, that was the LAST thing I wanted to do! Hahaha.).

I know several people do the 30 Day Shred or something similar on their days "off" from running.

Cookc04
09-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Gosh you are doing good tinycities. I am counting down the seconds in my Week 1 minute and you are talking about the counting down the minutes.

pink sparkle
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Congrats, Bac0s!! :bravo:

Welcome, ashley nicole :wave:

Yesterday I did W6D2. I'm not sure if I'll repeat it or move on. I completed it but the second 10-minute run kicked my butt! Once again, I think it was a mental thing. I need to put some different music and videos on my phone. I'm going to do that tonight.

KayNicole
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
OK I think I better start around the week 5 mark. My first night running I made it about 15 minutes. The second night I made it 10 minutes :( I ended up turning that into an interval day. Although what do you guys think? I kind of don't want to go back to 5 and 8 min interval runs and just stick with the running as long as I can but I am sure I would be missing out on the benefits of interval training. Ugh. If only I could run for 20 minutes. LOL

Cook- you will get there! I could barely run for 1 min when I started but you will be amazed at how fast you build stamina.

Pink- I am with you on the mental thing. I am sure I could make it for 20 minutes if I just DO IT!

dudesmom
10-01-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm definitely feeling you guys with the mental thing. I went into today's run totally discouraged because I'm so slow, and I just let it get to me the whole time. I ended up running for 30 minutes, so 2 minutes longer than needed, but I was still short on the distance. I think part of my problem may be running inside, I'm slow because I have to keep making these circles which doesn't allow me to get my speed up. I'm also wondering if it might make me more tired because I can't get a nice long stride going, it's constantly shorter steps because I can't go very far. I would think that more, shorter steps would use up more energy than fewer, longer strides would. I really need to get over my self consciousness and go running outside. I know of 3 different routes and I think it might be easier to get over the time thing if I had some different scenery too. I really need to get over myself and just do it!

Cookc04
10-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Completed Week 1 this afternoon. Was easier than the other runs. Phew maybe I am ready to go to week 2. I'll give it a go on Sunday.

leannerenee
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
CookC definitely move on to week 2 before you decide to repeat W1. You'll probably find it easier then W1.

losing50in365
10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi! My name is Sarah and I just stumbled upon this thread. I've been looking for a C25K support thread! I JUST started running, so I'm only on Week 1.

You girls are doing great! Keep it up!

Sarah :)

KayNicole
10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Dudesmom- I have the same problem. I am intimidated by the streets but I have access to a treadmill in my apartment workout room. I just don't want to go running past someone and have them think I am about to pass out since my face is beat red and I am breathing super hard... oh and not to mention they might be passing me event though they are walking! LOL So I understand. :hug: I know we shouldn't worry about what others think but it is still so hard. I am doing a 5k in 2 weeks so I will have to get over it fast!

Welcome to all of you just starting out! Good luck and remember to push yourselves, you can do more than you think. :D

pink sparkle
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Yay! I'll be moving on to Week 7!! I completed W6D3 today. Surprised myself because I did not feel like doing anything this morning. I felt so sluggish and tired (late night). But I got through the 25 minute run. By the 15 minute mark, I was sure I wouldn't finish lol. But I did! Woo hoo!

Marniadec
10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I've been looking for a thread like this! I'm doing the C25K, too. I'm supposed to complete W5D1 tomorrow, but I had to take a long break and I'm afraid I might not make it... I don't know if I should try it or repeat W4 just in case...

Fit4Lyfe
10-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi! I'm about to move on to Week 2 (after 2 weeks on week 1) How ya'll doin?

Cookc04
10-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Welome

Fit4Lyfe and Losing50in365
There are a couple of us who are around the week1 mark.
I've just finished W1D3 so Sunday I try W2D1.

I'm sore today but feeling totally inspired by this program.

I am noticing the 'happy vibe' that running gives for about 36 hours after the run. ON the day after my run I want to run again but by the time I get to my next run day I feel like ' could I be bothered?' so far I've done the 3 runs in the week so I have been bothered.

The podcasts do make a difference - I'd cheat myself and finish early if it weren't for the podcast. In the second last 60 sec run yest I almost stopped and walked but managed to kick myself up to do this properly.

I'm now looking at details for the Sydney Running Festival in 2011 wondering if I'll be able to do any of these runs.

dudesmom
10-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Welcome to all the newbies!

So last night I went to be really early, not for any particular reason other than the fact that I was tired (even though I woke up REALLY late). This morning the alarm goes off at 6 since it was still set from yesterday. I turned it off and then couldn't fall back to sleep. I decided to get ready and go outside and run while no one would be out. I went to the park since I had mapped the distance around and knew how many laps equalled a mile. I intended to run 2.75 miles since that is what I'm scheduled for (should be W8D3 for me). I know that running outside is harder, but I just didn't expect it to be so hard. I ran 2 laps and was dying. I thought 2 laps was .5 miles, but I checked my pedometer and it said .97. I figured maybe I mapped wrong and I was really happy I had gone that far without stopping. I figured I would just run two laps and walk 1, and keep repeating that til it equalled 3 miles (of running, the walking would be extra). So I walked a lap and checked my pedometer again. It said 1.26. Which would mean my walking lap was only .3 miles. Obviously that means my pedometer is really inaccurate and that the map was actually pretty close. I was really disappointed and just so totally discouraged that I decided to just quit. I was going to go back home and wallow in misery. Instead, I walked a little and then just decided to start over again with W1D1 (I might have started with a little more difficult week but I couldn't remember the intervals). I went through one cycle and then went home. I don't feel so bad about it now as I initially did, but it is pretty frustrating that all the work that I put in inside has had zero effect on what I can do outside. Good thing my 5K is still really far away. Anyway, I'm not giving up, even if I do have to start all over again.

pink sparkle
10-02-2010, 02:24 PM
dudesmom, sorry you had a bad run. Will you be running outside from now on?

I wasn't supposed to run today but I was feeling really bored this morning so I went to the gym. I completed W7D1 today.

Question for everyone: What determines if you move on to the next day/week? If you have to slow down to a speed walk for a couple of seconds do you repeat the day?

Marniadec
10-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Meh, I chickened out and decided to repeat W4.:p I think I'll skip to W5, though. It was almost too easy.

pink sparkle, I don't think so... I've done it once. Then the next time I made it without slowing down. I think that if I had trouble twice in a row, then I'd repeat a day. I hope I'm making sense, my english seems to have abandoned me.:p

Cookc04
10-02-2010, 08:26 PM
It's raining today - and it's my first day for W2 after reading all the difficulties in going from treadmill to outdoor I don't want to do treadmill. I wonder if running in rain will be too bad. It's light rain at the moment - but the ground will be slippery.
Am I just looking for an excuse not to run?
Rewarded myself for getting through first week with another pair of running tights. Surprised by how few have zippered pockets. Where do people put their key and their mp3 player if they don't have pockets?

Marniadec
10-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I was bored and I did W5D1. I would feel like a wuss if I hadn't... I hope I won't be in a lot of pain tomorrow!:p

Cookc04, I am running on a treadmill, too. I decided to complete the programm in the gym and then start over -probably at W4- outside. It will also give me something to do once I'm done!;) And I don't know about anybody else, but I wear a cell-phone case on my neck, underneath my clothes. I put everything in there. Before I thought of that, I would hang my keys from the strap of my bra and tucked the mpr-player underneath my boob.:p

Cookc04
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
AH yes hiding things in the bra is a good technique, I agree. and if you have the Ipod shuffle it clips to your clothes.

I think my upgrade once I complete this will be running on the beach ( sand running) and eventually - running the sandhills at the beach. Sandhill running is the toughest. Sand running is lighter on the knees but very hard to do.

ashley nicole
10-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Glad to see everyone is progressing along!

I finished W1D3 this morning. I found it a little tough, but that may just be because I'm not used to getting up and working in the morning...usually I go at night. I think I'm going to switch up my cardio tomorrow and Monday and then attempt W2D1 on Tuesday...GULP.

Cookc04
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I did it - I went for the run.
W2D1 done. Again felt like I wanted to quit almost as soon as I started running - but feel great now.
I waited for a break in the rain. The only other people in the park were people walking their dogs who were going crazy from not getting their walks in this morning. You could see that the dogs had already torn apart their houses in the morning, their owners were not happy.
I love dogs, I love how crazy they go when they know they are going for a walk. I love that they want to go out in the rain and jump in the puddles. But I don't have a dog at the moment, just a cat. She spent the whole morning curled up on my bed, enjoying being dry when it's wet outside.

mette
10-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Hello, fellow runners! I did W1D1 this morning! :D

It felt wonderful to be able to run again. I was injured (knee) last summer and haven´t been allowed (or able) to run since. I started the C25K program once before, in May 2009 and remember posting in a C25K-thread here at 3FC, but never finished after my knee got hurt.

But today I ran with no pain! I had knee surgery and removed damaged cartilage at the beginning of summer. I´ve also lost most of the weight during the year. And I had a breast reduction and went from G-cup to B-cup 8 weeks ago. With a pain free knee, almost a normal BMI and small breasts, I was *so* ready to run today! And it felt amazing to be able to complete the intervals with no pain!

ashley nicole
10-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Cookc - I'm so proud of you for going! I personally like a good walk/run in light rain! It's refreshing.

Mette - Congrats on doing your first day...glad your knee is better!

LauraLoooo
10-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey everyone. I haven't been around for over a month or so. The school year started (I'm a teacher) and that sort of took over my dieting... :-(

Anyway, I'm still doing C25K but I'm stuck on Week 5 Day1. I've been doing that off and on for the last 4 weeks or so. I just feel like I'm so not ready for Week 5 Day 2 so I haven't done it yet! Any suggestions?

Bac0s
10-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey everyone. I haven't been around for over a month or so. The school year started (I'm a teacher) and that sort of took over my dieting... :-(

Anyway, I'm still doing C25K but I'm stuck on Week 5 Day1. I've been doing that off and on for the last 4 weeks or so. I just feel like I'm so not ready for Week 5 Day 2 so I haven't done it yet! Any suggestions?

Just try it! You can always ease back if you have to, but you just might surprise yourself!

pink sparkle
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
W7D2 complete!

tinycities
10-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Hey all! I've just been catching up on the posts and it sounds as though you are all doing so well. Welcome to those of you who are just starting out with the plan, I hope you enjoy it!

I'm extremely happy because I completed my first 20-minute non-stop run (W5D3) on Friday morning, and it was totally fine! I was actually amazed that I managed it, and I felt fine! I really trust the programme now, it seems to work so well and build up my fitness in a way that means I can do more than I think I can! I kept the pace slow but even, so I was pretty tired at the end, but it felt great. And, it was the first day I've ever run where it has been raining really heavily, so I'm pleased I managed to do it, despite the vile weather.

I did W6D1 this morning, and actually found it a bit tougher (despite less running?!) - must have just been my state of mind!

Cookc04 - I don't have pockets in any of my running clothes either (bad design!). I wear my key on a chain around my neck, and either hold my iPod in my hand as I run, or stuff it in my bra! Clothes with pockets would be easier :) Hope your running is going well!

Cookc04
10-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi TinyCities
Well Done with the 20 minute run & in the rain, I suppose that would be refreshing and you wouldn't have to stop for water.
Are you finding that you are getting faster also?

Marniadec
10-05-2010, 01:18 AM
tinycities, that's great! For me, W5D3 is the day after tomorrow and I'm dreading it! And I'm running indoors, too! I also really trust the programm. When I started, I weighed 220 pounds, I hadn't exercised in years, I have bad knees and I smoke. And I made it to W5D2 without having to repeat a single day (I did chicken out last time, because I completed W4 in June and then stopped everything when classes were over, but I completed W5D1 that same day). I have also seen people heavier than me complete it. I am really glad I found it!

As I mentioned above, I completed W5D2 I'm pleased about something: When I was in W2, I decided that I was too bored to get dressed and I ran in my nightgown. The next day I had these huge strechmarks in my inner thighs and they were sort of bleeding. It was quite painful, so I decided to never do it again. Well, last night was the night some jerk's car covered my only clean running pants in mud and the only other thing I could run in were these old pajama pants that were to small last winter. I wore them and I spent the first minutes holding them up, because they were huge!:carrot: So then, I got fed up and ended up running in my panties (that's TMI, isn't it?). Well, today it doesn't hurt at all! I must really be getting smaller!:carrot:

JayLei
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
hello all.. I'm really struggling with the longer run (20 min). I moved onto week 6 intervals and have started upping the incline, thinking that if I run the easier to face intervals at a higher incline, running the longer run at a .5 won't seem so bad.

I'm also having music issues... I run to internet radio and it seems like I get a good rhythm going and then a slooow song comes on, then my brain kicks in... and I start thinking about minutes, and the hair poking my neck, and my barrette being too tight, etc etc :dizzy:

I'm determined to get through WK6D3 by Columbus Day for the challenge, though!

Razorbackbritt
10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I am having a hard time going from w5d2 to w5d3...from 8 minutes to 20. I did 10 minutes today...but had to stop. I have done about 4 of the 8 minute runs trying to prepare myself. Any tips to make the jump to the longer time?

LauraLoooo
10-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Just try it! You can always ease back if you have to, but you just might surprise yourself!

Yeah, I know. I really just need to try it. W5D1 has been so hard still and I'm just afraid of injuring myself. But I did it for the last time today! I'm going to try W5D2 next time.

Keep up the good work ladies, you're all very inspiring. :)

ashley nicole
10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Glad to see you girls are doing well!

I did W2D1 today...after 2 days off from jogging(though I did bike 5 miles one of the days) and going up to a minute and a half, I was a little nervous. But it turned out it actually seemed easier than W1! I'm thinking it's because my boyfriend went with me and he's pretty good motivation and support. :)

dudesmom
10-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi all, I've been lurking lately because I was so disappointed in my first outside run when I had to go all the way back to W1D1 to make it through the run. Since I could run 45 minutes inside, it was a big change. I realized that I would have to run every other day and only have 1 week in between completing C25K and doing my 5K if I started all over again, and it really made me feel like crap. I should have run yesterday but I didn't because I couldn't work up the nerve to go out again when I actually had time to go. Tonight I just bit the bullet, and I was determined to try to make it through either W4 or W5D1. I went out and, though I was totally nervous, I made it through W5D1, which is definitely less of a drop from W8 where I had been when running inside!!! I'm happy with what I did, though I may repeat this day next time I go out, but we'll see. I don't know what had the biggest effect on my performance tonight as opposed to the other day-weather (it was much warmer today), time of day (I'm a night person), or just overall mindset, but I'm not going to give up on myself. I want to run my 5K, all of it!!! And no more lurking in self pity either. Hope you are all having good days!

mette
10-06-2010, 07:08 AM
I did W1D2 today, still completely pain free. I couldn't be happier!

ashley nicole, congrats on starting week 2! My plan is to do W2D1 on Sunday.
Marniadec, at first I didn’t pick up on the fact that you run on a threadmill so I envisioned you running outside in your nightgown! Too funny! Congrats on getting smaller!
JayLei, I use Robert Ullrey’s podcasts to get me though the program – I’m so happy I don’t have to think about when to run and when to walk: I just run when Robert tells me to. I understand the music issue if you run indoor though (I use my iPod as I run outside) – could you use an iPod/iTunes instead of the internet radio? Slow music is awful when running!
Razorback, when you had to stop after 10 minutes – why did you have to stop? Were you in pain or is it a mental thing, do you think?
dudesmom, congrats on jumping from the week 1 program to the week 5 program on your outside running!

As I mentioned before, I use Robert Ullrey’s podcasts for the C25K. I used the same podcasts last summer as well, and haven’t really checked around for other versions. Do any of you use different podcasts?

pink sparkle
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't know what possessed me to even try to run today. I'm full of antibiotics and painkillers due to a stupid tooth. I tried W7D3 today and, for some reason, my legs felt extremely heavy. Even my breasts feel tender (and bigger). I think the ibuprofen 800 is causing some serious bloating. The scale was up this morning too. :(

Anyhow, about 10 minutes into my run I just couldn't do it anymore. I took a five minute walk break and then did W3D1. That was difficult too. It felt like I had 40 pound weights strapped to my legs and an extra 5 pounds in the breast area. I made it though. Then I did the elliptical. Guess I'll be doing W7D3 later this week, if the bloating goes away.

Cookc04
10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Feeling fragile and weak today - going to skip the run. Will have to re-do W2 next week

Marniadec
10-06-2010, 08:20 PM
mette thanks! Also, I don't think that the poor people who would see me in my nightgown would laugh... More like they'd be scarred for life!:p

Well, I completed W5D3 today! I kept reading people saying that they couldn't do it and I got so. effing. scared! As I was starting to run, I was trying to convince me that it will be ok if I have to stop. But I didn't believe me.:p So, I split it down to 10 2-minute sessions. That basically means that I'd just focus on getinng those two minutes done and in the end I'd pat myself in the shoulder. And it worked! :carrot: Perhaps that's the key for others, too? Maybe 20 minutes straight, just sounds too overwhelming. It obviously did for me... I really do think that it's mostly in our minds.

tinycities
10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Hey guys! Thank you so much for the nice comments about W5D3. :) It feels good to have got through it!

But... aghh, I really need some motivation right now. I do not feel good about tomorrow's run at all.

I've been doing fine with C25K so far, and have been happy with my progress. There have been a few "off" days where I've not enjoyed running so much, but mostly it's been totally fine, and I've found myself enjoying it, which surprised me a lot! However, I've found this week a bit of a mental struggle. Yesterday I did W6D2 (two 10-minute runs with a 3-minute walk in between - the last day of C25K with intervals), and tomorrow I have W6D3 (a 25-minute run).

I feel like I've hit a bit of a mental block. I really didn't enjoy doing W6D2 yesterday. I felt absolutely exhausted and almost felt like I was going to be sick in the last minute or two - not comfortable at all. I didn't understand why I was feeling like this - I already did the 20 minute run the previous Friday, and felt really good, so this was the same amount of running time, but with a break in the middle - odd that I should find it so much harder. I found myself just focusing on symptoms of discomfort and tiredness right from the very start of the run yesterday. I don't know if I'm just imagining it, but my knee doesn't really feel right either today - not painful, but I'm just "aware" of the joint as I move around, if that makes any sense.

So I'm a bit "meh" about tomorrow's run. I was thinking about not doing it at all, but I feel as though if I just give myself a break from it, I won't feel comfortable unless I repeat Week 6 again, and I just don't feel good about that. So I do want to have a go at the run tomorrow, because I don't want to "give in" to the negative feelings I've been having, although I have no idea whether I'll complete it successfully or not. For me, this feels like much more of mental barrier than a physical one.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, but I guess I just wanted to get these feelings off my chest! I think it would really help me if I could come up with a few mental exercises or things to think about during the run, to keep me motivated and stop me just concentrating on how tired my body feels or how much further I have to go. I listen to podcasts with music already, but I would really like to have some things to think about that distract me from the run! Anyone have any ideas or things they think about when they are trying to keep motivated and distract themselves from feeling tired?

Marniadec - WELL DONE! You must feel really happy and satisfied :) I totally agree, breaking the time down into smaller chunks definitely helps me too!

Cookc04 and pink sparkle - sorry to hear you are both not feeling great! I really hope you both feel better soon and find your runs more enjoyable :)

mette
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
tinycities, when I did C25K last summer I had the exact same experience you´re describing in week 6. The two 10-minute runs felt much, much worse than the 25-minute run. For me, I think it had something to do with breaking the run up - it was much easier to just keep going and do one longer run. So my take on it, is that I completely understand why you didn´t enjoy W6D2 (because it´s a horrible run), but that W6D3 can be much better!

And I do hope your knee is OK. You´re probably OK as long as you´re not in pain?

I do understand about the mental block, though. During a hard run I usually talk to myself as if I was a child trying to do something difficult (come on, you can do it, you´re doing fine, etc)

And a last thing is the music. Last summer I used the podcasts through W6D2 (to know when to walk, when to run), but from W6D3 on I made my own list of music to run to (a lot of music I don´t listen to except when running - like Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Pink, Shania Twain, etc) and it was so much better! Perhaps you need to listen to some music you really, really like to keep your thoughts off negative stuff?? It´s an excellent distraction!

Best of luck for your run tomorrow!

dudesmom
10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
tinycities-I read some stuff about marathon running (which I would like to do someday!) and one thing that they talked about in there is how to get through things like pain, fatigue, etc. I know it sounds a little bit weird, but they say to invite your discomfort to run with you. I know this works because I did it when I was running for longer periods of time inside. Basically, if your leg is hurting you, you just mentally say "Come on, pain, run with me!", or if you're tired, say "Come on, fatigue, run with me.". You can do this for anything, like if sweat is in your eyes, your mouth is dry, whatever. It really helped me ( and I used it when running outside the other day) so it may be worth trying, even if it does sound a little hokey.

Razorbackbritt
10-07-2010, 02:06 PM
When I had to stop at ten, I was getting the worst side stitch ever. Usually I can breathe through them and keep going, but this was started around minute 7 and didn't stop. And I think part was a little mental/workout buddy because we were just pushing to beat 8 minutes...so when we hit ten we stopped.

But I doubt I could have gone much longer w/o stopping for a bit b/c of the pain in my side.

We are trying for 12+ today. Hope I can come back and give good results!

arethachick
10-07-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm about to get a new running suit, too! I remember the Turkey Trot in Dallas, it was not as hard as I thought. (5K)

JayLei
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
mette ~ I use the C25K app on my phone. It runs in the background and has chimes and tones to tell you when to change your interval (or are halfway there). So you can play whatever music you want.
And congrats on your pain free run!

dudesmom ~ you'll get there… you've got the determination!

pink sparkle & Cookc04 ~ I hope you both feel better soon!

tinycities ~ my roommate told me that her friend who runs all the time says that there are days when you go out and you know it's just going to be bad. Sometimes it works out during the run, sometimes it doesn't. It made me feel better to know that even established runners have those same days we do.

Razorbackbritt ~ I get stitches too.. there are some tips on eHow ( http://www.ehow.com/how_2047713_get-rid-side-stitch-running.html ) to prevent/deal with them. I find that as soon as I feel one starting if I bend into the stitch and press with my hand as I keep running it prevents it from getting worse.

I'm going to spend some time this weekend browsing all the stations available and see if I can't find one that keeps the music upbeat.

Marniadec
10-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Can I make some suggestions? I get bored and distracted very easily, so I'm always looking for something to focus on while doing cardio. I listen to my own music and I have the timer on my cellphone. I also listen to songs that I really like, regardless of how suitable they are for running. They don't distract me enough to slow down and I'm more likely to sing along than get bored. Breaking it down helps me with that, too -even if only because I'm always counting!:p And also, going faster helps. It keeps me focused for a while and then cursing myself for that decision keeps my mind occupied.:p But then, I think that cardio is meant to be boring. I don't think that there are that many people out there that enjoy running for x mins straight... And the way I see it, it doesn't necessarily have to be something that you enjoy, you just have to do it.

dudesmom
10-08-2010, 02:47 AM
dudesmom ~ you'll get there… you've got the determination!

Thanks, I really appreciate the encouragement. It's very much needed right now! :)

pink sparkle
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
:carrot: Moving on to week 8! I did W7D3 this morning. I'm so proud of myself. On D1 and D2, I had to stop and do a speed walk for a few moments during my runs. This time, I didn't! I did the whole 25 minutes without stopping. Woo hoo! Then after I did some other things (arc trainer and stairmaster), I redid W1D1 at a faster pace and a higher incline. I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow lol.

Marniadec
10-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Did W6D1 last night. I got more tired than I expected to, but I had walked for longer than an hour yesterday morning, because I had decided to only run 3 times every week. Then changed my mind. I had also been windowshopping the day before yesterday and shopping yesterday, which means that I was walking for HOURS (I've only been shopping in two shops in the town where I live now and I have no idea where to even look!:p I bought a t-shirt in size L, yay!:cheer2:). It makes sense that I got tired, I think.

My knee also bothered me. And I'm afraid that the doctor will tell me to stop running, so he's out of the question for now.:p

mette
10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I did W2D1 today, it was beautiful outside by the river but it´s getting colder in the mornings. I´m happy week one is done! :D

Marniadec, sorry about your bothersome knee - is it an old injury, something you´ve struggled with before? I hope everything turn out OK for you.

No pain for me so far (knock on wood) but I think running 3 times a week is a bit of a brutal start for my knee. I´m considering cutting down and do C25K twice a week and add in another spinning class for cardio. I´m so afraid to start too hard and hurt my knee again, the last thing I want is another year without running.

pink sparkle
10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Marniadec, if your knee is bothering you, maybe it's best you do stick to running only three times a week. It's better to take things slow than seriously injure yourself and end up not being able to run. Hope your knee feels better!

I tried to do W8D1 today. However, the C25K app on my phone crashed or something. I ran about 15-20 minutes and then checked to see how much longer I had, only to realize the whole program had frozen/crashed at the 3 minute mark. I got frustrated and just walked and did incline and speed intervals. :(

dudesmom
10-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I confess, I have not exercised at all in about a week. I won't be able to run outside today, so I don't know that I'll run at all, but i will work out! Tomorrow I can make time to run outside, hopefully taking all this time off won't have set me back too much.

ashley nicole
10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
W3D1 - complete!

I was almost sick with nervousness about starting week 3. I was appalled I was having to go from 1.5 minutes to 3 minutes...but I was able to do it. Still feel kind of nauseated though. Blehh.

tinycities
10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for your support and excellent advice with regards to the 25-minute run on W6D3. To my own amazement, I went ahead and completed the run without stopping, and I actually felt perfectly okay! Like some of you said, it was actually a whole lot easier than the two 10-minute runs that had previously killed me on W6D2. I also found using some mental strategies whilst running absolutely invaluable - I put together a document with some suggestions you gave in this thread, and other tips I found elsewhere on the web, and they were so useful - I printed it off and read it before I went out in the morning, so it was fresh in my mind. I found that using these strategies just kept me going and I didn't feel uncomfortable or in pain - the power of the mind is wonderful!

I've decided to take a break from C25K this week. The reason for this is that I've definitely decided there's something not-quite-right with my knee. It's not been causing me pain, but it's felt quite stiff and out of sorts for about a week or two now. After doing the long run on Friday, it felt a bit funny for the whole weekend, so I've decided to take a week-long break from the plan. I will make sure to keep exercise up (just walking though!) and then I will start Week 7 next Monday.

I suspected my knee issue has arisen from inappropriate footwear. Because I wasn't sure whether I would like running when I started the programme, I didn't want to splash out on some new shoes, so I've been running in some "fashion" trainers (sneakers to you on the other side of the pond!) which have absolutely no padding or support - I just wear them as regular shoes. I went to visit a specialist running shop yesterday for advice on running shoes, and they examined my feet and it looks like I have slight over-pronation (the soles of my feet roll inwards too much), which is probably aggravating the knee issue. I tried on a whole bunch of shoes in the store to see which styles/brands were most suitable for my feet, and yesterday I ordered a pair of shoes online (at a brilliant discount!), and hopefully those will be with me later in the week. That way, when I start Week 7, I'll be running in a decent, supportive pair of shoes, and that combined with the week's rest will hopefully mean my knee is no longer an issue!

Marniadec - I really hope your knee issue is okay! Fingers crossed that adequate rest will help your knee feel more comfortable.

pink sparkle - wow, you're making such good progress, very nearly there! I totally sympathise with the technological mishaps! It's so irritating! Back when I first started the programme (I think it was actually W1D2!), my iPod packed up altogether (I think it hadn't charged properly or something), and so I did the whole thing trying to count the intervals. Not fun!

Marniadec
10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, my knee isn't doing so well... I have a list of things that I'm not allowed to do and recently, I've been doing most of them repeatedly. And it's been raining a lot recently, which only makes things worse. Now both my knees hurt, then they're numb and then they hurt and they are numb at the same time... I was given painkillers and I'll have to take it easy for a while. So, I' to will only be walking for the next few days. I can't believe that I already miss running!

Pink Sparkle, only 6 runs left! Keep going! I too have had my cellphone die on me once. Not fun at all. But one day in highschool, when we were dying of boredom, a friend and I realized that a popular greek song's verses last 1 min each (yes, we hated school very much). So I just sang Tzivaeri 'till the end.:p

Tinycities, I hope your knee gets better soon! You said footwear and I was reminded of this: http://www.myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=el&noAnswerSelected= I don't know if you are aware of it, but I thought someone may find it useful.

pink sparkle
10-13-2010, 01:44 PM
ashley nicole, awesome that you completed W3D1!

tinycities, congrats on completing W6D3! Hope your knee feels better after your week of rest.

I did W8D1 today. I really had to give myself a mental kick in the butt to get through it. Some unavoidable person called me early this morning and soured my mood a bit. But I got through it. I hope to complete W8 this week.

CutieCourt
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi all! I've been reading this thread quite a lot and never posted before. I use to play soccer and was a runner in 2001..geez almost 10 years ago! Now I'm trying to get back to the weight I used to be and would like to get back into running because I used to feel great after a run.

Yesterday I decided I would start it up and I downloaded the app for my iPhone and went to town! It was not as bad as I thought it would be but still challenging! Gosh I'm sooooo out of shape!

W1D1 complete! Woo! Without stopping:)

mette
10-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Hi, CutieCourt - congrats on starting the C25K!! I'm one of the newbies too, I just did W2D2 this morning.

I like to run in the mornings and with winter coming it's getting too dark to run before work, so I'll run on Saturdays and Sundays until we get snow, after that I guess I'll run at the gym. I do prefer running outside, even though it's getting colder and I had to use beanie and gloves today!

tinycities
10-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Marniadec - I really hope your knee is okay :) How is the walking going along? I think it's great to keep up some regular exercise that is easier on your joints. Do you know when you'll start up with C25K again?

pink sparkle - Thanks! How is Week 8 going? I guess you must be almost finished or finished already! Must be so exciting to be going into the last week! Do you know what you'll do when you finish the programme?

CutieCourt - Welcome! Congratulations on making the choice to begin the programme and completing the first run! It does feel really good, doesn't it?! I'm sure you know this already, but the one thing I found when I started is that I was running way too fast, and found it quite unmanageable. So I think you should push yourself at the start, but don't run so fast that it's just impossibly exhausting!

mette - Hope Week 2 is going well for you! I love running in the mornings too, and also running outside. I never thought I'd enjoy morning exercise, but I really love it, it fits so well into my schedule, and leaves me feeling refreshed and happier during the rest of the day :) Where do you live? Here (in the UK, South West) we sometimes get snow (last winter was pretty bad!) but usually in Winter it's a few degrees above freezing (or a couple below), and it's just grey and gloomy and quite rainy!

I've just come to the end of my week-long break from running and C25K, and all being well, I plan on starting W7D1 tomorrow morning. My knee definitely needed the time off. At the start of this week it just felt a bit strange, but then around Thursday/Friday, it really started to feel quite uncomfortable and odd. Yesterday I didn't really notice anything up with it, and today it feels fine. I'll see how I go for the rest of the day, and then if my knee feels totally normal, I'll start the running up again tomorrow morning and just monitor it throughout the week as I go through the programme. I'm so conscious of how sensitive knees can be, so I really don't want to run on it if I'm doing it damage, but at the same time, I'm desperate to continue on with the programme!

The other thing is that my new running shoes arrived a couple of days ago, which is great! They should hopefully really help prevent any further knee problems :)

Emmieooo
10-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Id like to join!!!!!!
I am doing w5d2 this morning. Loving this program so far but TERRIFIED for the 20 min run on tuesday.
Im going to go back and read over this thread for some insperation.

Marniadec
10-17-2010, 04:14 PM
CutieCourt, congratulations on starting C25K! As tinycities said, try not to go too fast, it can be discouraging. Hopefully you'll love running as much as many of us do!

mette, I think that running in the morning is best, too. It gives you so much energy and you start your day knowing that you made it through one more day, which gives you a sense of accomplishment. I also think that if I ran outside, I would *want* it to be dark, so noone will see me!:p

tinycities, I feel exactly the same. I kinda worry about my knees, but I want to complete the programm so much! Even though I'm not really sure as to what I'll do next, yet. I hope your knee doesn't act up again and you manage to continue with no problems!

My knees are better (thank you so much for asking, tinycities!). It hasn't rained lately either, which helped. I completed W6D2 today and I hope I'll be fine from now on. The thng is that classes started last week and I'm trying to complete 2 semesters at once, so it's been pretty hectic and it will continue to be until late December. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll wake up half an hour earlier so I can run in the morning. If that doesn't work, I'll run Saturdays and Sundays, but I don't really like that option... I hope I can keep up.

Cookc04
10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I've had to take two weeks off because of medical advice. Feeling pretty untoned now.
I think I'll have to start again, at the end of this week.
Is anybody running with those 5 Finger Vibrams?

The US federal reserve has devalued the USD a lot so as to increase exports so companies can meet their yearly targets. This means that it is much cheaper for me to buy things online and have them sent here rather than buy the here. 5 Fingers cost $200 here, and under $100 in US so I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to get a pair.

CutieCourt
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Thank you all for the kind words and good advice! I have officially finished Week 1! I am so excited! My husband and best friend are doing the program with me and they were both astonished that it got easier! At one point on day 3 I was so tired, but I didn't stop! I just felt sluggish halfway through!

I've been telling people about the program and so many have shown interest in doing it. I am hoping that it changes my life and impacts me as much as it has done some of you!

W1D1: completed 10-14
W1D2: completed 10-16
W1D3: completed 10-18

Marniadec
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
I completed W6 earlier today. It was kind of hard. I started out slowly because I had a pretty long day and I was quite tired. I picked up the pace about halfway-through. So, I did better than I expected, but it was still a little hard. Now I'm kind of terrified for all the long runs from now on!

Emmieooo, welcome! I was also pretty terrified before W5D3. But it will feel so great once you manage to complete it, just wait and see!

Cookc04, welcome back! I hope you're better now.

CutieCourt, it's so great that you have people doing this with you! All I ever get when I tell anyone is moar lecturing about my knees and about how fat I am. Bleh. But it is such a great programm, isn't it? I am so glad to have found it!

pink sparkle
10-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi to everyone new to C25K (or the thread).

tinycities, how are things going for you? Once I finish the program, I think I'm going to go back through it to work on speed.

I'm actually not finished with week 8. TOM started early and it was like I gained 15 pounds overnight. The bloating was so bad that walking was difficult, so running was definitely out. I started week 8 over again this week. Completed D1 on Monday and did D2 today.

tinycities
10-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Hey all! :)

I just completed W7D2 this morning, and feel pretty good about it! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a week off in between Week 6 and Week 7 due to some knee pain I was starting to have. In that week off, I bought a new pair of running shoes that should help me over-pronate less when I run!

This week I have been "breaking in" the running shoes. They fit well, but the first time I wore them (on Monday, when I did W7D1), I did get some blisters. I stupidly put on really thin cotton socks, and I had some rubbing in the heel, which is quite narrow on this style of shoe. I would usually run again on the Wednesday, but since my blisters were still a bit tender, I decided to wait until today (Thursday) to do W7D2. I wore thicker socks this time, and even though my blisters were still slightly there, the trainers were much less sore, even though in the five-minute cool down walk I felt slightly rubby/uncomfortable where the blisters had been. I hate breaking in shoes!

I have to say, I'm so amazed at how much more "manageable" the runs seem to be. This morning was my third 25-minute run, and it really wasn't bad at all. At no point did I think "gosh, I can't make it", and instead it was fine - I didn't even really need to psych myself up for it! I think one of the wonderful things about this programme is that you can really trust it. It's designed so well and I honestly don't feel it's pushed me to do things that I've really struggled to do. And now the end is in sight, I feel even more confident that I'll be able to get to it, provided there are no further problems with the knee! It is still feeling ever-so-slightly unusual, but the pain has gone and I think these new shoes are doing the trick!

Emmieooo - Welcome to the thread! I guess you will have already done the 20 minute run for W5D3 - how did you find it? Really hope you managed to do it and are feeling good!

Marniadec - Congratulations on completing Week 6! It's really nice to have someone on the thread who is about the same stage as me in the programme! I totally know how you feel about just having the long runs from now on. Initially I was quite perturbed about the long runs, but I think I actually prefer them. For me, the worst run of the programme was W6D2 (the two 10-minute runs with the 3-minute walk in between), and I actually find it easier to just keep running. I've done my third 25-minute run now and it's amazing how much better you get at it! And I'm so pleased to hear that your knees are better :) I do also totally sympathise about challenges with juggling the programme and fitting it in. With the knee/blister issue that I described above, I think I will probably end up being a bit more lax with what days I run on. Up until the end of Week 6, I ran every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning, without fail, but since the knee pain I had, and the blisters from breaking in my new shoes, I've been finding that I've needed to take it easy. The way I see it is that if your schedule slides a bit (for instance, if it actually takes you say, 8-10 days to fit in a "week" of the programme), it doesn't matter - so long as you stick to it :)

CutieCourt - Congratulations on completing the first week, and I'm delighted that you are also enjoying the programme as much as I am! :) I agree with Marniadec, it is great to have support and people to run with, for me just coming on this thread makes the experience so much more fun, to hear how other people are finding things!

pink sparkle - Hello! I'm doing really well, thank you! How are you feeling about being so close to the end? It must be exciting! I think I'm also going to try to do some work on speed when I've finished, since I do run (well, jog!) very slowly indeed! Sorry to hear that you feel bloated and uncomfortable at the moment... it's so annoying being a woman sometimes!

pink sparkle
10-21-2010, 02:23 PM
tinycities, I'm excited to be so close to completing it! I love it when I'm at the gym and someone gets on the treadmill next to me and I outrun them. :o It's hard to believe that when I started the program I could only run for almost five minutes. Now I'm able to run 29 minutes straight! I hope to complete this week tomorrow. Not sure yet. Today I did strength training (with tons of squats and lunges) and then made the mistake to run afterwards. My butt and thighs are so sore. So hope I can do the run tomorrow. We'll see.

jesslaso
10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone! Still chugging along with c25k even though I haven't posted in a while. Tonight I will do w6d2, and tomorrow d3. My 5k run is getting closer and I'm starting to get nervoussssss!! =/

I was really happy today though. When I first started c25k I weighed 165, then I didn't weigh myself for a month and I weighed 169! I was really frustrated, and since then I'll weigh myself every couple of days, always in the morning just after I wake up. So today I weighed myself and I'm back down to 166! Wooo. I don't really care if I lose weight fast, as long as I'm maintaining and not gaining!!! Even to maintain or lose one pound a week would make me so happy :P.

In any case I can definitely see how I'm getting more fit. I can't believe that I can run for 20 minutes straight now where in the beginning running for a minute and half was a struggle!

Marniadec
10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
tinycities, I was thinking the same about you! When I completed W6, I was hoping you'd update before I'd start W7.:p The thing is that I've been walking for up to 2 hours a day and I do strength exercising and I almost always skip streching the last 2 weeks. So I was tired and sore. And I also forgot my mp3 player at a friend's house and she returned it today. So I dreaded the longer runs, for that reason alone. Today I skipped class and I just stayed at home and relaxed and I streched for, like, half an hour. Then I decided to start W7. I wasn't tired and I could -finally- listen to music, so it was much better. Of course, the fact that I already ran for 25 mins straight 2 days ago, certainly helped. I enjoyed it a lot, I ran pretty fast, I looked at my cellphone a lot less... All in all I couldn't be happier with how I did. I enjoy the longer runs now, too. But one of the things that first drew me to C25K was the fact that you had to walk a little and then run and neither lasted long, because it seemed less boring than walking for an hour straight. I still maintain that and I kind of miss it, but it seems like I have come to love running, which I never saw coming. I thought that I would have given up by now. Oh, and I also hate breaking in new shoes! But I like buying them more!:p

So, November 7th is Elections day in Greece and I'll have to go back to my hometown. Initially I thought that I'd go on Nov 6th and leave Nov 7th. But, anyway, it looks like I'll go back sometime next week and come back -hopefully- on November 7th. The last day that I have class is Monday. So, I'll have all the time in the world for running. If my knees let me run every other day, instead of 3 times a week, I can complete C25K by November 6th and then just run on weekends or whenever I can squeeze a in run. So, fingers crossed! I think I need to start looking into what I'm going to do afterwards...

Slim CB
10-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I am new to C25K and would like to join this thread. Always wanted to be a runner so I figured this was the best way to go about doing it. I started W1 last week and it was fairly easy for me. As such I planned to start W2 today but unfortunately did not get to go out at all this week.

This evening is going to be my first run for the week and my first run for W2. Hopefully it turns out good!

pink sparkle
10-22-2010, 09:44 PM
:woohoo: Today I completed week 8 and ran 5K! Ok, so technically the 5-minute warm-up walk was part of my mileage, but I ended up doing 3.18 miles total! After the 28 minute run I just kept going. I did about 48 minutes total (including the warm-up). I feel so good!

augeremt
10-23-2010, 01:22 AM
I just started C25K today and completed W1D1. It took all the motivation I had in me to get out the door, but once I got running, I was so glad I did it! At the end, I could feel like I had done some exercise but I wasn't tired enough to not go out again. In other words, I felt that I could've done more. So on the last two intervals, I picked up the pace to a leisurely sprint to get more out of it. And boy, was I winded! But I probably could've done a couple intervals more.

Is that normal? I keep telling myself that I should take it slow and stick with the plan but I feel like I can do more. How do I know if I'm starting out in the right level?

Anyone else in this boat?

Marniadec
10-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I had messed up W1D1 and I repeated it and I was fine. So, I had asked the same question and the answer I got was that I should stick with the program and that I would see the results the day after. I think that you should wait to see if you get sore or anything and if you're fine, perhaps you could skip a few days. I would suggest that you pick a day that you think seems manageable, yet a little challenging. I don't see how it would hurt.

I did W7D2. It gets easier and easier!:carrot:

augeremt
10-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the response! I'm not sore at all so I may stick with the length of the program and just do Week 2 twice instead of Week 1 and then Week 2. We'll see.

I hated every second of running yesterday and did get winded and tired, but I think I could've challenged myself more. So I guess Week 2 it is!

jesslaso
10-24-2010, 02:33 AM
That's amazing pink sparkle!! WTG!

Cookc04
10-25-2010, 12:17 AM
After 3 weeks off sick - I've just restarted at W1D1 was much easier this time around.
If I keep at it will be finishing programme at Christmas.
I gave been preaching C25K for about a month now and I seem to have 2 friends who are meant to be starting this week also. HOpefully it will mean we can run together on the weekends.

tinycities
10-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Hello everyone! :)

I completed W8D1 this morning. My first 28-minute non-stop run, yay! I've been holding back on the temptation to run for longer, because today, I knew I could have carried on for the 30 minutes, but I want to wait until Week 9! When the announcement came up on the podcast saying "you're just going into your final minute", I was actually surprised - I thought I had much more time left to go than that! So it felt really great :)

The other thing that I felt good about is that this morning, I really wanted to get up and run. I usually run first thing in the morning on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but due to a really early work committment on Friday morning, I won't be able to run this coming Friday, and will have to run on Saturday instead. With this in mind, I could have really easily and legitimately shifted my running routine this week ahead a day - running on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday instead, without messing up the schedule at all. But as I lay in bed this morning, I was thinking "nope, no I really do want to run today". Reflecting back on those thoughts now makes me feel so satisfied. I'm so pleased I've been able to stick with this - I've honestly never kept up with any sort of fitness plan as long as I've been doing C25K. :)

I've also been having some more thoughts about what I'm going to do when I complete C25K (which all being well, should be next Friday - eee!).

I've been looking around at various programmes that a lot of C25K people go onto (Bridge to 10K, One Hour Runner, etc), and so far, I've not really found any that seem like things I want to do right now. Although this may well change when I get better at running, my aim isn't really to become a hardcore runner, who can run for hours at a time. My aim isn't to run marathons! I think I'm a person who wants to run for fun, and to achieve a basic, but good level of overall fitness. I'm really happy with what I've got from C25K, which has been spending 30-40 minutes outside, running, three times a week. A lot of the other programmes that people seem to go onto seem more intense and time-consuming (e.g., going for longer runs, integrating various other fitness exercises, etc.), and I don't think that's something I want to do right now.

So... whilst driving into work today, I had the idea of repeating C25K, and instead of just deliberately trying to "work on speed", I thought I would try something a little less deliberate. I think when I finish Week 9, I will repeat the week until I feel pretty comfortable with the half hour runs (I've seen runners talk about "building a base", so I guess in a really crude way, this is analagous to that). Then, I plan on going right back to the start of C25K, but instead of keeping the pace as per the instructions, during the "walk" intervals, I'd be jogging (i.e., going at the comfortable jogging speed I'd been able to sustain for 30 minutes), and during the "jog" intervals, I'd be running (i.e., pushing myself to move slightly faster than the comfortable jogging pace). I don't think I'll consciously try to work on speed, I'll just work on upping the intensity so that the workout is still challenging. To me this seems like a good solution. I'm not having to spend more time or more days exercising than I am comfortable with, I still have the structure of a programme that I enjoy, but at the same time, I'm still improving my fitness and pushing myself. I think it's also kind of fun to still have the intervals, rather than just progressively longer and longer runs, with nothing breaking them up.

I'd be really grateful for anyone's feedback on this, I might post a seperate thread if there aren't any C25K grads lurking on this thread at the moment! What do you think of this idea? Do you think it sounds safe and sensible? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

pink sparkle - AMAZING! Well done, you must feel absolutely brilliant, such a great achievement :D This might sound like a really dumb question, but how do you calculate the distance of your runs? I've no idea how far I've been running (although I suspect my 30 minute run will be no-where near 5k - I'm too slow!).

Marniadec - Really glad to hear you're doing great in Week 7! I totally agree, it really does feel easier now, doesn't it?! I think it's actually amazing how this programme makes so significant and so noticable an improvement to physical fitness. When I think back to the start of the programme, just a few weeks ago, feeling terrified about running for 5 minutes, and really feeling exhausted once I'd done it, and compare that to how I feel now, it's just amazing! Really glad to hear you haven't had any further problems with your knees too. Oh wow, you live in Greece! Where abouts do you live? I have been on holiday to Greece a couple of times and absolutely loved it. What is the climate like this time of year? Here in the UK it is starting to get really cold (well, cold for the UK, not serious cold, haha!). I'm having to put the central heating on.. brr!

Slim CB - Welcome! How are you finding Week 2 so far? Hope you are enjoying it!

augeremt - Hello! I totally agree with the advice Marniadec gave you, and I think your suggestion of how to progress is really good! Sometimes I find that if you don't feel "pushed" on a particular day, if you realise this before you've finished, I think it's a great idea to just push yourself a little more towards the end. You mentioned you'd done this, and I think that's a good solution!

Cookc04 - I was wondering where you'd got to! Sorry to hear that you have been sick. Definitely good to restart, and also great that you've got people to run with - it makes it really great for motivation if it's not just you alone!

pink sparkle
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
W9D1 complete! I can't believe I'm so close to the end!

jesslaso, thanks! How did W6D3 go?

tinycities, thanks! I run on the treadmill, so that's how I keep track of distance. I think your post-C25K plan sounds good. So good that I might just copy! I'm with you about not wanting to run marathons/run for hours. I just want to be able to run, enjoy it and keep fit. Like you, I'm also amazed that I wake up in the morning wanting to run. On non-C25K days I have to force myself not to "run an extra day". Wow! This program really works!

jesslaso
10-26-2010, 02:45 AM
tinycities, I use this website to figure out how far I've run gmap-pedometer.com. :) I'm also a member on dailymile.com, and you can also track your distance on there. On DM when you put your distance and time it will give you your pace, which I like because it's easier to see how I'm improving :P.

pinksparkle, I did w6d3 today and it was alright. I definitely did not run the whole thing. I stopped three times, each time for about 30 seconds to a minute. I calculated that in 25 minutes I ran two miles, which is not so bad considering that I took breaks =/. I still have a month left until my 5k (on Thanksgiving), so now I plan on veering a bit from c25k... I think I will do the 25 minute runs until I can run the whole thing, and then I'll up it to the 28 minute runs and so on.

Hi cookc04! Sorry to hear that you were sick, but that's great that you are restarting and with friends! You can run together and motivate each other :).

Marniadec
10-26-2010, 03:41 AM
I completed W7!:carrot: I've been back to running up and down my hallway for the past 2 weeks and I forgot to lock the kitten in my bedroom and I stumbled over her and I fell (bad kitteh!), but other than that, I did really, really well! Well, I also broke the fall with my worse knee and now it hurts more than it usually does again, but yeah, other than that I did great! I felt like I was a lot faster and a lot more confident. In the end I was sort of lightheaded and I was smiling, which hasn't happened since the one time I ran outside and in the presence of my mom and I tried to impress her.:p But without the shortness of breath and the bright red face.:p I think that I had been holding back and that there was no reason too.

tinycities, I live in Thessaloniki now, but I come from Trikala. You probably haven't even heard of it, but you may know Meteora? You have visited the islands, I assume? It has been pretty cold here lately. It's warm for a couple of days and then it suddenly gets really cold and then it starts over again. I'm not very fond of cold. I was reading about the UK at some point and under Climate it said "Rain". Too funny!:D

I decided that after I complete C25K I want to start 30DS. So, I think that I will just keep running -if what I do can be called running- for 30 mins every other day until I'm done with the 30DS. I have been looking into 10K programms, too. I liked "Ease into 10 K" and I think I might give it a try at some point. So far it seems like the challenges are good for me. They keep me engaged. I used to think that I would go to 10K and from there to 13 and so on and so forth, but then I started reading things about nipples bleeding and other pretty things like that, so I think 10K is as far as I'll get.:p If I even get there. But I do want to up my speed before I move on to 10K and your idea sounds like a great one!

Slim CB
10-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I did W2D2 and it was good....i guess. I had to be pushing through mentally but I did it. I wonder if I will be able to run 5mins straight much less 30mins???

augeremt
10-27-2010, 03:13 AM
So I know I said I'd start with W2 and do it twice and all that, but that hasn't happened. Today was my running day and I REALLY didn't feel like going. In fact, I didn't until 8 pm when it was 40 degrees outside. Oy. Poor timing. I guess the thing that got me out the door was the realization that I don't have any "lazy" weeks left to spare before "real" training begins for a 10-mile mud/obstacle race that I stupidly signed up for at the end of January. Well, not too stupidly because I really want to do it, but I should've given myself more time to get fit enough to run the whole thing.

So my roommate dragged me out the door after we'd layered up with the all the non-cotton cold exercise things we own (which wasn't much) and decided we'd run to the store to get some more non-cotton cold weather exercise things for future runs, since we'd be doing a lot more of them now. Fall/winter is probably not the best time to get into running, but such is life. So we went on a mini-shopping spree at Marshalls and since we couldn't run with our bags of stuff, we headed to the grocery store for dinner. I was kind of glad we'd gotten more clothes since we kind of needed to layer up even more on the walk home.

Anywhos, the run to the clothing store wasn't very long, but enough to do W1D2 of C210K (similar to W1D2 of C25K), which is the current plan I'm following because after looking at the amount of time before my big race, I realized I really need to step up the training and get fit quickly but safely. So instead of C25K, I will be doing C210K, which is a very similar program (walk/job intervals) but takes 13 weeks to get you to running a 10k. And since I'm somewhat fit in that I'm not a complete newbie to running, just have sat on my butt for way too long since I was last in shape, I figured this was a good fit for me. Hopefully.

Doing this will give me enough time to then up my mileage by an easy 10% a week (the recommended safe way to run longer) to get to 9.4 miles the week before the race. That should be perfect and hopefully ease my nerves about the distance, assuming I stick with this that long. I kind of have to now, so I hope that's motivation enough. If I don't train, then there's no way I can "coast" through this race. There's no other choice.

Oh, and my consoling thought about those last 0.6 miles I won't have ran in training, is that I'm coming from elevation to sea level. I hope that's enough to get me through the race alive, because that's all I'm going for :)

Ok, that's all about me and my plan. I hope I can still post with you ladies even though I'm not exactly doing C25K since there's isn't a C210K forum or anything like it (if there is and I'm missing something, then please let me know). We technically have the same idea going, just a slightly different timeline.

And my next posts most definitely will not be this long. I promise ;)

Marniadec - Congrats on finishing up W7!!! I can't imagine being able to run 25 minutes straight. Right now I'm working on a mile (very slowly and not quite there yet, but that's my goal). Keep it up and go longer, if you feel up for it :)

Slim CB - Awesome job on getting through that workout. Getting mentally fit can be just as difficult as physically fit, at least that's been my experience. You got it, though!

Marniadec
10-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Slim CB, don't even think of it this way! Just focus on the day you have to complete every time and trust yourself and the program and you'll make it. When I started, I didn't even think I'd manage to run for 90 seconds and look where I am now! If you really want this, you can definitely do it!

augeremt, thank you so much! I'm actually thinking about skipping straight to the last week, because I'm afraid that I'll just maintain while I'm in my hometown and I really don't want to take an other break. Getting 2 runs in will be easier than 5. I really want to stick with the program, though. I had never heard of the C210K before. It looks good, but I'd be too scared to try it when I first started! Good luck with it!:)

jesslaso
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Today I started week 7! Ran 2.27 miles in 25 minutes, 11 minute pace wooo :). Pretty stoked about this! If I could run a 33 minute 5k that would be beyond any of my expectations!!

Slim CB
10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
jesslaso - congrats! Week 7! Thats impressive

Today I want to do W2D3...I find that I am doing running twice a week instead of three times as I also go to the gym and can only fit the running in twice a week. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

I really want to pace myself as sometimes my knees hurt but at the same time I want to build up my endurance. I will post this evening or tomorrow to let you know how my run turns out.

Jojo381972
10-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Great to see this thread! Congrats on all your accomplishments! :)

I'm just re-starting the c25k program. I was running 5 km last year, but I stopped and now I'm re-starting. I want to start out slow and build up to where I was before.

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi. Keep going!

Marniadec
10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
jesslaso, that is great! You're, like, really running already!

Slim CB, I don't think it's a problem. You'll just finish later. Since you work out the other days, too, it shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome Jojo381972!

I tried W8D1 today. It was awful. I tried to run outside, early in the morning. It was *freezing* and I wore this thin, short-sleeved t-shirt, because I figured that I'd be hot later. Except I didn't make it to later.:p The knee I hurt, well, hurt and the cold caused some scars I have from getting burned last year to start hurting and I had to stop. I'll run again inside the house on Monday, when my parents will be gone and my brother will be asleep.

mette
10-31-2010, 04:51 AM
I did W3D1 today. I took two weeks off running because my previously bad knee started to feel stiff and off, but today I ran the 3 minute intervals without problems.

Marniadec, it's cold, but nice to run outside right now. We have no frost (but we had snow earlier this month) - there's definitely no running in a t-shirt though; I wear jackets and gloves and headwear! :)

jesslaso
11-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Slim CB, I don't think it will be a problem, as long as you're still getting out there and running!! :)

Marniadec, some days you get out there to run and it just doesn't work out! I would still try to run outside - there is so much more to look at and keep your mind occupied ;).

mette, glad you got back on track after your knee started to feel better. You're in Norway? Last year I studied abroad in Sweden (Uppsala) and went to Norway twice. It's very expensive, but yet so beautiful! I really want to go back... :)

I did w7d3 yesterday and I'm really struggling with running the full 25 minutes. Yesterday I stopped once for one minute at 21:00... I don't understand why I didn't keep on going, I was only four minutes away from finishing! Oh well. I'm going to do week 7 until I can fully get the 25 minutes down, and then I'll move to the 28 minute runs.

tinycities
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Hey all! It's been a few days since I last posted but I have enjoyed reading about your progress so far! :)

I finished Week 8 yesterday morning and will be doing W9D1 tomorrow morning. My schedule got a bit messed up because I meant to do W8D3 on Friday morning, but had an early morning teaching committment, so I decided to put back my run until Monday of this week instead. All being well, I will complete C25K this coming Sunday (if I feel like a weekend run) or Monday morning! I can't believe the time has gone so quickly, it seems like just yesterday that I was posting on this forum (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3459401-post587.html) after having done W1D1 and feeling like I was about to explode!

The run I did yesterday was 28 minutes, and just before the last minute, the podcast guy reminds you that there's a minute left and to try and push it if you can. So I did - I really ran, almost as fast as I could, and I absolutely loved it! Typically, I jog fairly slowly because that's all I can manage with the longer distances/times, but it's really great fun to really go for it and run fast for a minute or so at a time! It gives me such a rush, and it's such a great high, I feel so energised, light, and healthy, a really wonderful feeling!

jesslaso - That's such a brilliant speed, well done! Best of luck with the 25 minute runs - I am sure you will be able to get them down in no time!

mette - I really hope your knee feels better soon! Take care of it :) I have such difficulties knowing what to wear when running! At the moment I run in a vest top and long tracksuit bottoms. It's pretty cold in the mornings but not freezing yet, probably somewhere between 5 - 8°C. My arm flab (haha!) feels pretty chilly when I've finished running, but I get fairly warm when I run (I run by the sea and the sun reflecting off it makes me quite hot!).

Marniadec - I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad time on W8D1! Sounds horrible, I hate when that sort of thing happens. I do definitely prefer running outside, but in situations where it'd make you really uncomfortable like you describe, it doesn't sound like a good idea! Ahah, our climate really is "rain"!! Given that us Brits are a nation famed for constantly going on about the weather, you think we'd have a more interesting, dramatic climate... but no, it does just tend to be quite bland! Think lots of white skies, nothing really happening with the weather, not really hot but not freezing either... that's it! Haha. I have been to Greece a couple of times, but it was years ago! Once to the mainland (exploring around the Athens sort of area!), and then once to an island (Paxos). I really loved it!

Jojo381972 - Welcome and good luck with doing the programme! It must be really nice to know you are capable of running the 5K if you have done it in the past, so I hope you have fun restarting C25K!

pink sparkle - I'm really excited to hear how you are doing - you must have finished C25K or be just about finished now! I can't wait to hear about your progress :)

Slim CB - I don't think that will be a problem at all :) I have been mostly doing the programme so a "week" of the programme corresponds with an actual calendar week, but I don't see what's wrong with spacing it out more! Recently I have had to be flexible because of other committments getting in the way, but I figure, so long as you stick to some sort of schedule, it doesn't matter if you have longer breaks in between your runs and do it just twice rather than three times a week! What matters is sticking to it :)

augeremt - Good luck with the C210K! This is definitely a good place to post, because even though it's not the exact same plan, it's based on the same principles and so I think lots of people will be able to support you :) Best of luck with your 10-mile race! When is it happening? Are you training/running with your roommate? That sounds really fun, I think it would be really motivating to have a friend to run with! Hope your plan is going well so far!

Slim CB
11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

:?: I did not go running at all last week. I am finding it hard to fit running in my work out schedule. The thing is I go to the gym probably around 4 times a week. In addition, I want to incorporate some weight training in my routine as my gym classes are mostly cardio. So I recently bought a Jillian Michaels DVD which I want to fit into my routine too.

I guess I want to do too many things at once as I really want to start running 5ks in January 2011.

Sigh..........any suggestions?

pink sparkle
11-03-2010, 01:29 AM
tinycities, I'm actually doing W9 all over again. I guess I could technically say I've completed it but in the past week or so I've had quite a few days where I'll run and then just give up and do a different exercise after about 20 minutes. The boredom is really getting to me. I can't seem to shake it. I redid W9D1 today. I'm going to try D2 tomorrow. Things have just been blah.

pink sparkle
11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
So, I redid W9D2 today. Last night I had put some new videos on my phone to try to beat the boredom. It worked! I ran for 45 minutes. Just a little bit under 4 miles.

augeremt
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm up to W2D3 of C210K (2 min jog, 2 min walk x 7) and I'm anxious to go for a run. Like, I can't wait til tomorrow so I may even go today. I think I'm starting to actually enjoy this thing. **** has indeed frozen over.

And even though I'd only done 4 other runs, yesterday's W2D2 was absolutely amazing! It was only a 1' J 2' W but I did so much better than the first time I tried that workout a week before. Then, I was huffing and puffing past the first two intervals, but yesterday I felt so fast! My pace even improved by 2 minutes a mile for the runs. I think this program really works. :)

The 10-mile race is January 29th, which is 85 days away (yes, I'm counting). It's a mud run/obstacle course so maybe the obstacles will give me time to recuperate to keep running. And yeah, my roommate and I have been training together and are going to do the race together, so it's super nice to have her around, mostly for the days I REALLY don't want to go and she's there to nag/guilt trip me out the door. That, and she's faster than me, so she pushes me to run faster.

Jojo381972 - Welcome! Let us know how the program is working out for you. And any tips from a veteran?

Marniadec - How did your run go yesterday? And how's the knee feeling?

mette - Is Mette your first name? I was in Norway for work two summers ago and met a few girls named Mette. I can't remember if they were Norwegian, since it was such an international group, but I figure since I was in Norway at the time, that was a safe bet. Anywhos, good to hear you're running pain-free. And in the cold.

jesslaso - When I used to run long distances (oh, the bygone days), whenever I'd get super bored or super tired and just couldn't make it through a whole workout, I would walk until the next lamp-post, or the next block, or something like that. And I would finish with a stronger/faster time. Weird. But, I've heard that from a couple people as well, so it's not just me. Some days and sometimes, you just can't go straight through and need that walking time to reboot. So don't stress too much about it, sometimes it's just necessary. And props to you for even being able to run that long. That's an accomplishment!

Slim CB - What are your cardio gym classes like? It may not be strictly running, but since you're doing cardio, you're probably getting the same benefits of running without the constant pounding on your joints. Alternatively, you can incorporate weight training into a running program, especially with all the rest intervals that are a part of the first few weeks of C25K. Maybe do a rep or two or arm curls in between running intervals or something. But that may not give you enough rest. I don't know, it's a suggestion. Or lastly, take a day off the gym and do three gym days and two running days (even though C25K calls for three running days a week, that can totally be amended).

tinycities - I totally understand your feeling of euphoria during that last minute near-sprint. Although I'm not even close to running for 25 minutes, I try to push myself as hard as I can during my measly one minute intervals which are followed by 2 minutes of walking, but details, and when I get enough speed and will-power to go all out, the feeling is absolutely amazing. So, props to you for being able to do that after 25 minutes of straight running.

pinksparkle - 45 minutes?! Wowsers! Looks like the videos did the trick. Wow.

tinycities
11-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey all!

I did W9D1 yesterday, and will be doing W9D2 tomorrow morning. W9D1 was an absolute nightmare! For some reason, about 15 minutes into my 30-minute run, I got the most appallingly painful stitch in my side. At times it was so uncomfortable I felt like I was going to be sick, but I was absolutely determined that I would not stop. So even though I was jogging at a ridiculously slow pace, I didn't stop and begin to walk until I had completed the full half-hour.

Afterwards I felt so satisfied with what I had done, that I'd basically continued running for 15 minutes depsite feeling intensely uncomfortbale and not enjoying it at all. It's not something I'd normally do (push myself like that), but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, and that I could overcome the mental urges to stop and give up for the day. If I had been worried it was something more serious, I would have stopped for sure, but I knew it was just a bad stitch and I would have felt so annoyed with myself to stop when there was nothing really "wrong".

I'm not really sure why it happened - some days I get a very mild stitch in my side which goes away after a minute or two, but yesterday it was incredibly uncomfortable. Just one of those things, I reckon! Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again tomorrow, although I've had a quick Google search and picked up some tips to prevent it happening again, and deal with it better if it does! Can't believe there are only two runs left until I finish C25K...!

Slim CB - Hmm, that's a tricky one. I'm not totally sure what to suggest as I think a large part of it is down to your own priorities (i.e., which things you would rather do now, and which things you'd rather do later). As has already been said, it's perfectly okay to do C25K at a different schedule other than just the three runs a week, every week. I wouldn't change it up too dramatically (i.e., just one run a week), but perhaps you could try to just fit in two runs per week rather than the three, and that way you can do the programme whilst also keeping up with your other fitness activities.

pink sparkle - Wow, that is absolutely brilliant, 45 minutes?! Amazing! I understand what you're saying about boredom, when I'm in certain moods, I can find it quite repetitive. I'm pleased you've found something that makes it more interesting :) I want to try and make my own running podcasts for when I finish C25K, as I think I'll enjoy it more with my own music!

augeremt - Haha, I totally know what you mean, the feeling of surprise at actually enjoying a programme like this! I feel the same much of the time! As I run really early in the mornings, it makes me feel energised the whole day, and often on my late evening walk with my boyfriend, I feel so energised that I want to actually break into a run again. Madness! Also, it really is brilliant the way you are able to really notice differences in your performance and fitness level in this programme. I've found exactly that. I'm doing the programme according to time, rather than distance, and it's really satisfying to see on weeks where it's the same length of running, how as I improve, I run a further distance (obviously my speed is going up without me really noticing it!). Your race sounds really fun! I think it actually seems more fun than a traditional running race! It's great to have something to aim for :)

Slim CB
11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks tinycities and augeremt. I think I have it figured out though. I love going to the gym but I also want to be a runner....so I am going to run in the mornings (at least twice a week) and go to the gym in the evenings!

I did W2D3 on Wednesday morning and was amazed at how much better it was. The road was quiet, the air was cool and I did not have to be using my semi-conscious to be aware of my surroundings (the roads are a bit narrow and I worry sometimes that I will be knocked down by a car). So I am going to try doing the morning runs and hopefully it will all come together.

tinycities - Great job! Seems you are officially a runner

augeremt - Good going on the 10K. Maybe one day I will get to that point but for right now I am going to focus on the 5K.

marniadec and pinksparkel - the end is so close! You are almost there! Keep going!

jesslaso - you just have to persevere and push through. Just try it again and before you know it, you will be at Week 9!

jojo - Welcome!

tinycities
11-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey everyone! The thread is seeming a little quieter than usual - how are you all doing? I really hope everyone is coming along okay, whether you've just started or whether you're quite a way through! Keep it up guys! :carrot:

I did W9D2 this morning, which means... one run left until I complete C25K! Ahh! I think I will be doing that on Monday. As I mentioned in my last post, I had a really uncomfortable stitch when I did W9D1, and I slightly had that again today, but I have a feeling that was because I was really focusing on it, thinking "oh gosh, hope I don't get a bad stitch again"... it came for about 5 minutes of my run, but not too painfully, and then when I focused on other things in my environment it went away again. So when I got to the 29th minute of my run, I felt comfortable and energised enough to really run fast for the last minute... yay!

Slim CB - great idea! I'm a morning running evangelist - I absolutely love it, and for me, it's definitely the easiest and most enjoyable time of day to run. When I run in the mornings, by the evenings, I definitely feel like I have enough energy left so that (if I wanted to) I could easily exercise again. On mornings when I run, I also find that I feel significantly more energised and lively for the rest of the day, so it's a good way of perking yourself up! Where do you live? I'm not sure what the climate is like where you are, but for me, early morning is definitely the nicest, most refreshing time to run. Today I went out at about 7.30am and it was great - almost no-one around, and the sun was very low in the sky so it wasn't too warm or bright. Perfect running conditions! Glad you have got a schedule sorted for all of the exercises you want to do!

Slim CB
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey all,

I did the morning run again....and I am hooked. No more evening runs for me. Its soooooo much better. I did W3D1 today and I had to be pushing through the second 3min run set...but I completed it. Going to take a break until Monday...prob do some weights tomorrow morning and take Sunday as a rest day.

tiny - I am so jealous of u! One more run....thats awesome! I actually live in the Caribbean and at this time of the year we have a lot of cool weather coming in. This morning was a bit windy but it was perfect for me. I felt great after my run and yeah, you are right, I am feeling energized!

Marniadec
11-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I've been very sick for the past few days, so I haven't ran at all. I was supposed to be graduating today... Instead, I tried W8D2 and I felt like I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. My lungs are too pooped, I guess. Oh, well. I'll get back to it pretty soon. My knees have also been way too bad. Like, if I bend them for a couple of minutes, I walk with a limp afterwards. I'm hoping it's just that the fever is making my joints hurt. I really hate my knees. The doctor said that I'll be fine as long as I don't climb any stairs, walk uphill, keep them bent for more than a few minutes, keep them straight for more than a few minutes, carry heavy things, wear hills and so many more things that I don't even remember. He also prescribed painkillers and -of course- weight loss. That is just ridiculous.

Pink Sparkle, you graduated! Congrats!:carrot: What are you going to do now? And 45 minutes, wow!

Tinycities, you are *so* close!:carrot: I'm sorry to hear about the stitch. I hope you can finish C25K without getting one that day! Also, I'm jealous!:p

tinycities
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I did W9D3 this morning, which means... I have completed C25K! :carrot:

This morning's run was totally trouble free, with regards to how I felt both physically and mentally, but it was the first time I was almost totally unable to even get to the sea wall where I normally run. There had been some really severe storms and the area was flooded with enormous waves crashing everywhere. So I had to wing it, and just ran around my town and through some parkland, which was great fun! I definitely could have run for longer than the thirty minutes. As usual, I did the last minute running almost as fast as I could, which was great, and the main reason I didn't continue on is that my little improvised "circuit" had taken me practically back to my front door!

It feels absolutely terrific to finally be a C25K "graduate". This is the first time in my life that I've really stuck to any sort of exercise programme and seen it through, right to the end. Whatever I go onto do now, whether I keep up with the running in the long term or not, I have the personal satisfaction of knowing I saw this through and stuck with it, which gives me much more confidence. If anyone is reading this who is working through this programme, and feeling like their willpower and motivation to stick with it is fading, the reward of sticking with it and just getting through to the end is totally worth it. It's just 27 runs, but if you're someone like me, who is overweight, and didn't ever class yourself as "sporty" or "fit" or "athletic", trust me... the sense of personal achievement you will feel by completing this programme is really wonderful. And it's entirely worth powering through those "ugh" moments, when you it feels like a huge effort to get your running shoes on and get out of the door.

Towards the end, I admit, my motivation wasn't as great as it was during much of the programme. I think this is because I had to keep changing up my schedule and altering my running days, and also because it's getting cold and wintery here, it's harder to get out of bed early to do the run! For me, a really big part of what kept me motivated and on track was coming to post on this thread, and feeling encouraged by what you guys were all saying. I don't have a running buddy, and there isn't really anyone in my life who I'd want to bore with by talking about this sort of stuff, so being able to come on here and celebrate the good runs and share frustrations about the less good runs... it's made a real difference. Again, I'd encourage anyone who's motivation is fading to get posting on this thread, or talking to people in your life about what you're doing, because just being able to share your feelings, and give and receive support, can be really encouraging.

So what now? I would really like to keep up with the running, because I know if I don't, I'll just not really be doing any sort of physical exercise and it seems a shame to have built my fitness up to this point, only to then allow myself to get unfit again. I'm sure I will struggle with motiviation again, particularly as the days get darker and colder, but I want to tell myself that it's better to do "something" than "nothing"... and if that means some weeks I only run once or twice, rather than three times, then that's much, much better than where I was before, with my sedentary lifestyle. So first up, I think I am going to try doing what I mentioned a few posts ago, which is basically repeating C25K, only doing my slow jogging pace during the "walk" sections, and my faster running pace during the "run" sections. I've not attempted this at all, so it may not go to plan, but I think I shall try that out! I think I'll also be doing a few longer runs here and there to keep the endurance up. In order to keep a structure going, I think I'll put together some sort of training document/plan for me to follow, to help keep me on track!

Finally, I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has been posting on this thread, for your kindness, support and encouragement throughout - I really think it's made such a big difference and I'm not sure I would have got to this point if it hadn't been for you guys. :grouphug:

tinycities
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Slim CB - wow, the Caribbean? Amazing! I would love to go there one day, it looks absolutely beautiful and the climate seems really wonderful. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the morning runs!

Marniadec - Ahhh, I am so sorry to hear that the knee problems are still persisting... that must be incredibly frustrating. And I'm very sorry to hear you are unwell! It must be so irritating, being so very close to the end of the programme, with all of these barriers and problems cropping up making it so difficult for you. It must be so annoying to be told all of that advice, in a way - makes you think, what can I do then?! I really hope that a good, decent rest period will get you back to being in good health and help resolve the problems with your knees. Thinking of you, and I will be checking back in this thread lots to see how you are getting along! :)

Slim CB
11-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Congrats tinycities....that's awesome! Thanks for the encouraging words.....it really helped to boost my spirits this morning.

augeremt
11-09-2010, 01:49 AM
tinycities - Congrats!!! Sounds like your graduation run was enjoyable and FUN! Your post is very inspirational and I am so glad you shared your feelings with us. Good luck with whatever you end up doing and keep us in the loop.

Your words are giving me the kick in the butt needed to get me out the door in the morning tomorrow. It's my first attempt at a morning run, since we have a nasty, slushy and sleety storm coming in the evening. And running in the dark and in sleet is not my happy place. Neither is running in the morning, but I can't keep making excuses and morning is better than darkness and snow.

So 7:03 is the dreaded hour tomorrow. I am not waking up in the 6s to go running. It's against everything I stand for. Not really, but getting up at 7 to be out the door at 7:03 sounds so much better than waking up at 6:57, doesn't it?

augeremt
11-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Slim CB - Thanks! I found that the C210K plan seemed less scary than the C25K since it starts out pretty slow and stays that way for a while. I won't be running for 5 minutes straight until week 6, while it's week 4 for C25K. Granted, I'm probably running a bit more in the meantime and after week 6 it really picks up, but until then, it seems less scary.

And your change of schedule sounds like it's going to give you a good balance of everything you want to do.

Slim CB
11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Did W3D2 today and it was good! Can't complain at all. Seems I am getting the hang of this running thing after all!

pink sparkle
11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
So I completed C25K last week but, for some reason, didn't feel too excited about it. I'm proud of myself but at the same time I didn't get that feeling of exhilaration that I expected. :?: Anyhow, I'm going to continue to run. Today I did a 50 minute run.

tinycities, congrats on also completing the program! Your last run sounded great! Hope you continue to post here to motivate others C25Kers. I know I will try.

augeremt, how was your morning run?

Marniadec, sorry to hear you've been sick and are still having problems with your knees. That's quite a list of "do not do this" that your doctor gave you. Hope you feel better soon.

Slim CB, wtg with W3D2! Isn't it amazing how fast your running improves in such a short amount of time? Your new schedule sounds good to me too. Those extra workouts (on the days you run in the morning and go to the gym in the evening) are sure to give you a good fitness boost!

Marniadec
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
tinycities, thank you so much, that means a lot to me. It is very frustrating. It's been that way for years and I'm used to it, although it was never that bad, I was just *****ing because I'm so anxious to complete C25K and the knees are stalling me.:p

I joined a gym again so I can use the elliptical and they can show me how to strengthen the muscles on my thigs, which will help the knees. I'm also rapidly losing weight. They should get better soon. I decided to give W8D2 a try on the treadmil yesterday and I did it!:carrot: The stupid instructor had me use the stationery bike in the end, though. I told him several times that I shouldn't, but he wouldn't listen, so I just said the **** with it and did it. Yeah, it's gonna be a couple of days before I move on to W8D3.:p

CutieCourt
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I had to stop the program for two weeks bc of shin splints and taking anti-inflammatories. So here I am..back on track. 2 weeks ago I finished week 1 and thought I would start back from the beginning bc I'm overweight and put of shape. I redid W1D1 on tue and I will be doing W1D2 today. The post that was written up above about completing the program was awesome. I can't wait to finish & tell everyone about it. What an accomplishment:)

augeremt
11-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Last week's morning run went surprisingly well. It took me about 45 minutes to get out of bed (I am so not a morning person) but I was really glad I had. The weather turned absolutely miserable about 30 minutes after we got back ("we" is my roommate and me).

And since our morning run had been so good, we made it a point to go again a couple of days later. After getting back, I found out it had been 20 degrees outside! So now I'm not so scared of the weather, as long as it's not raining. That's the only weather condition I refuse to run in. Unless it's a warm summer rain, but that's not going to happen for many more months.

So tomorrow is another morning run and it should be beautiful as always. Except I think it's supposed to snow. At least we'll be out there early enough that it'll be too cold to rain, so we're good.

And we're up to W4D1 of C210K (3' jog 2' walk times 6). Our last run was also that and our running pace improved by 30 seconds over the 2' jog 2' walk from the previous week. That is absolutely astounding to me, especially since our fastest runs were uphill. Weird, but I'll take it.

tinycities
11-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey all! Thank you for all of your kind comments about finishing C25K :) It still feels really good! I think I had a bit of a double reward last week, because I finished C25K on the Monday, and the on Saturday, I weighed in and found that I now have a "normal" BMI :)

So, I decided to take a couple of weeks off running after finishing the programme, because I know my knee isn't feeling "right", and it seems senseless to push it and make a minor injury a more serious one. My friend had a recent knee injury (from running) and was told that her injury could take up to six weeks to heal - so I'm mindful that I should give mine a rest for a little while! My knee hasn't been feeling "normal" for a while (ever sicne getting some pain in Week 6 and having to take a week's break). For instance, I can no longer "lock" my right knee back when standing up, but I can do this with my left knee, which is fine... it just feels as though it's swollen and there's something there restricting the movement of it. Other than that, it's okay, but because I know it's just "not right", I don't want to push my luck. I definitely intend to keep running, but I'd sooner have a little setback in my running for a few weeks that I can catch up with, and not have really damaged knees in the long run :) The other thing is that when I was first breaking in my new running shoes, I stupidly wore really thin socks, and got a blister which still hasn't gone properly! So I want that to heel up, so I don't keep having to tape padding over it when I run :)

It sounds like we're all having lots of injuries and setbacks recently... it's annoying isn't it?! Particuarly when you have such good intentions!

It's great to check in and read about everyone's progress! It sounds like those of you who are not injured and still running are making really great ground with the programme :)

CutieCourt
11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm starting W2D1 today! I'm pumped:)

augeremt
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
The morning's run didn't happen. :( I didn't fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, so getting up at 7 wasn't going to work for me. So we're running in the evening. Hopefully I get off work early enough so that it's still light outside. But if not, there are always headlamps. There is no way we can afford to miss any more runs.

SlimCB - Great to hear you're starting to enjoy running! It's a pretty awesome feeling.

pinksparkle - Now that you've finished C25K, do you have another plan you're following? Or are you just running for running's sake? And major kudos to you for finishing!

Marniadec - How did you feel running W8D2 on the treadmill? And how are you feeling post-treadmill run? Hopefully the recovery time isn't too long so you can keep moving through the program. You're so close to finishing! Keep it up :)

CutieCourt - Are your shin splints "healed"? I'm worried I may be developing them and was wondering how you knew you had shin splints and how long you waited to start running again. I'm not at the point where it hurts to run, but I figure since I'm overweight and haven't run this much in a while, it's only a matter of time something like this will catch up with me.

tinycities - It sounds like you may have a meniscus tear in your knee. I'm no doctor so take this with a grain of salt, but I had that same injury a few years ago and apparently it's pretty common for runners (albeit mine was from a violent hit to the knee in rugby and not from running, but my running friends are always talking about worrying about getting this kind of injury).

Anyways, not having full range of motion and feeling as if something is restricting movement are two of the most common symptoms. And most meniscus tears don't heal on their own. It depends on the location of the tear. I had two and one healed on its own and the other one had to be surgically fixed. Luckily it was arthroscopic surgery and not too invasive, so I was back on my feet a couple days later and back to playing rugby not long after that.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but if it doesn't get better relatively soon, you should probably see a doctor.

pink sparkle
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
augermt - I've mostly been doing 30-45 min runs just to run. I think next week I'll redo one of the earlier weeks at a faster speed. I'd really like to increase my speed.

CutieCourt
11-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Augeremt: Shin splints are no joke. Whenever I would push on the front of my leg it was very painful and sore. it felt like I had pulled something and it hurt to put weight on it. I usually take the stairs at work and it was so painful I had to use the elevator. There is a doctor onsite at my job and I went and saw him. He took me off of all physical activity for 2 weeks or until there was no pain whatsoever and he gave me an anti-inflammatory. If you keep running on them they will not go away and you could risk injury. I was instructed to put icy hot on it for pain and ice it in the afternoons. I stayed off of it for exactly 2 weeks.

The doctor gave me a list of stretches to do before my jogs and since I have really taken the time to stretch beforehand I haven't experienced any splints. I honestly stretch for about 7-8 min before doing c25k. It seems like overkill but I'm not in pain anymore:) I only had the pain in my left leg..it was painful to walk...but it does go away, you just have to give it time..and do not run on it because it will just get worst:) I didn't notice the pain while I was jogging..it was just when I was walking and then afterwards and the next day.

hopefully this helps!

augeremt
11-16-2010, 10:01 PM
CutieCourt - I must've cursed myself by talking about shin splints, because I'm pretty sure I developed some after today's run. Argh! So I immediately went to the running store and got fitted for good running shoes since I'd been putting that off for way too long. Apparently one of the causes of shin splints is overpronation, which is exactly the problem with my left foot (the one that started hurting this morning). So hopefully that helps cure these things.

I've tried searching online but can't find any good stretches. Each site says something different. What kind of stretches did your doc give you? Any chance you can describe them? I've been doing a warm-up walk before running as well as some calf and quad stretches, but I don't know any shin splints specific stretches. Any help?

And lastly, I need to stop running on the concrete sidewalks. I'm sure that has a huge effect on my running.

Slim CB
11-17-2010, 05:02 AM
And lastly, I need to stop running on the concrete sidewalks. I'm sure that has a huge effect on my running.

It just might. I did some research before I started the program and it showed that its better to run on asphalt than concrete - less impact on the joints.

Slim CB
11-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Just came back from my W4D1 run....and it was not easy! I was wondering if the persons who saw me (especially on the last 5 min run) were laughing at me cuz I am sure I looked like I was about to pass out! I did not give up though...even though I was experiencing menstrual cramps and even though I went cold turkey on exercising for one solid week. I did not give up! I finished it and to me that is a great accomplishment.

kerielaine
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Congrats tinycities!!!! That's amazing and very inspirational!

I'm considering starting the C25K.

Do you all follow the schedule strictly or does each "week" take longer than an actual week to finish. I want to do this slowly, but at the same time, challenging myself might be a good thing?

I exercised for the first time in 2 weeks this morning. It was a half an hour hike. It definitely got my heart pumping. I'm buying a new planner this morning and printing out the C25K schedule and I'm going to start scheduling the days I run. I need structure or I just sit here and do nothing.

I'm excited for this journey!

gvntofly
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Hello everyone! I just found this thread.

I completed W1D2 of C25K this morning. It feels great. I am having a better time with it than I thought I would.

I am going to do my first 5K on April 2, 2011. I am going to sign up as soon as they open registration.

April seems so far away but it gives me time to work up to running 3.1 miles and time to work on speed.

Slim CB
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Do you all follow the schedule strictly or does each "week" take longer than an actual week to finish. I want to do this slowly, but at the same time, challenging myself might be a good thing?

I don't as I exercise at the gym as well. I just do it at my own pace and usually end up doing no more than 2 runs a week.

Slim CB
11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I am going to do my first 5K on April 2, 2011. I am going to sign up as soon as they open registration.

I like the idea of signing up for a 5k ...definitely gives you a goal to work towards. Personally I want to start doing them in January....whether I can run the full 3 miles or not.

jesslaso
11-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi! It's been awhile but I'm still running over here!
I've definitely deviated from c25k. I was on week 7 when I realized OMG my 5k race is in a few weeks and I've not ran 5km yet! At that point I was only running about 2.25 miles. So I decided to start running for distance. I mapped out 3 miles and started running - and my average 5k time is 36:00, and yes, that's with walking breaks. Today I only took a minute break at the beginning of mile 1 and mile 2 :).

So now my 5k turkey trot race is exactly one week away! I can't believe I made it to this point!! Even though I deviated from c25k and never really finished it, the moment I cross the finish line next week will seem like the end of c25k. I'm so excited for the race, a part of me just wants to do it already and get it over with! I know I can do it!

I'm also planning on signing up for a Christmas 5k race that's in mid- December. I figure if I sign up for races every couple of months then I'll be motivated to continue running :).

CutieCourt
11-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Jesslasso- that's some pretty good time! Congrats on kickin butt!

Gvntofly - welcome!!! You'll really enjoy this thread!

Augeremt - I do alot of stretches where my toe is pointing towards the sky. Also sitting on the ground like you're going to touch your toes and just do stretches like moving your toes in down to the ground and then back towards you. Any stretches really where you can feel the stretch in the front of your leg. I've noticed alot of stretches are
for calfs..but I focus more on the front. also the one where you bend one leg and then with your opposite legs you put your heel down and toes up. Hopefully all this makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain stretches..lol.

**I thought my shin splints were coming back but this time in both legs. I think the problem was I did the program on mon, tap danced on tue, then c25k on wed. No time for my shins to rest!

They were a little sore today but not painful like before. The only thing I can think is the major stretching is helping.
Had a friend that texted me today..said she was having shin splints to bad he was limping. So I guess the splints are going around these days...

I will complete week 2 tomorrow! I'm pumped! Signed up for some challenges on Nike+, for all u Nike +'ers, I'm an orange level and my goal is to make it to green by summer 2011 (june1)! I've got around 96 miles to go!

Woohooooo! Goodnight all!

Slim CB
11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
W4D2....complete!!

CutieCourt
11-22-2010, 08:47 AM
I am starting week 3 today and I am somewhat nervous about jogging the 3 minutes straight. I feel like it's going to fly by much quicker but still nervous about it all! I refuse to stop jogging during my workouts...I will let everyone knows how it goes! My husband and I got each other iPhone 4's for Christmas and we couldn't wait until then to open them. Lol. I noticed on the 4's it has the nike+ program built into it just like my iPod touch. I have a feeling the touch may become obsolete. I was previously using an iPhone 3G and that's how I would log everything:) this makes it much easier!

Slim CB
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
This thread has been prett quiet. Did W4D3 yesterday so that means I have W5D3 soon. Any tips on running the 20min straight? To be honest, its freaking me out a bit.

Slim CB
11-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Where is everyone?

augeremt
11-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm up to W5D1 and have way too much running to do this week. It's scaring me. But then I read about your ladies' accomplishments and it somehow seems doable. I hope, at least.

On another note, it's amazing what a change in altitude will do for my pace. I came down from Colorado (elevation 5430) to Southern California (elevation 0) and my pace improved by over a minute. Well, for one interval. But details. I was down to 8:44 minutes a mile!!! I haven't been that fast since middle school! Every other interval was also faster. It's pretty awesome.

Maybe I should do all my races down here...

That wonderful epiphany was yesterday, but today was much harder. 3' jog 1' walk x 9 meant 27 minutes of running, which turned out to be almost a whole 5k (3.14 miles including the walking). I don't think I've run that much in about 4 years so that's awesome!

I had to take two longer walk intervals about half-way through to get my mind back to where it should be, but in the end, I got all the running done and for the most part stuck with the plan. It was incredibly difficult, but I felt so accomplished afterward.

Congrats SlimCB and thanks for keeping this thread going. I've been home in California all week so been a bit away from my computer. Sorry for staying so silent.

CutieCourt - How did your Week 3 run go? I'm pretty sure you did fine! And how do you like the Nike+ program? I was thinking of getting it, but eventually decided on something else. I wonder how it's working out for you.

coffeebean267
11-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm nervous to do W4D1! What are some of your favorite songs to listen to and get pumped up?

Slim CB
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Ok....seriously.......where is everyone? This thread used to be quite a buzz with activity.

Anyway....I have been slacking off on my morning runs and as such I am finding that I have to be including some of my runs on the treadmill at the gym. I really hope it does not interfere with me running a 5K next year. For those of you with experience....how hard was it to transition from the treadmill to the road?

P.S. I have my W5D1 run before my cardio kickboxing class this evening. I will update as to how it went....

augeremt
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm still here although I may have to take a half-week- or week-long break from running. I was making pie last night and got a really nasty and quite serious apple slicing injury. So I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be doing anything that gets my blood pumping until this thing shows some semblance of healing. Or at least stops hurting so bad. So yeah, I won't have any running news to report for a bit.

I did manage to cure what I assume were shin splints. I started running on the asphalt in the road instead of on the concrete sidewalks and invested in a great pair of running shoes for which I was fitted at the running store. I'm not sure which one of those things fixed it, but based on what I saw on the slow motion video of me running on the treadmill, I definitely needed better running shoes. And these should last me a while.

And yes, where is everyone?!

Slim CB
11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi augeremt - looks like its just me and you....I really hope you get better soon. Re: running on the concrete, I have always heard that it's better to run on the asphalt - less impact on the joints.

Well I did W5D1 yesterday evening on the treadmill and believe me I wanted to give up after the first 5min run (there were 3 in total) but I did not allow myself to. I just kept pushing and pushing through it and guess what...i completed it! I was even able to do a tough 1hr cardio kickboxing class immediately after! Seems I am building a little mental strength!

jesslaso
12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Hey! I ran my turkey trot 5k race last week and came in at 37 minutes!! I was a little bummed over the time, only because when training I was running around a 35 minute 5k ... but I wasn't aware ahead of time there would be a huge hill for all of mile 2, which slowed me down a LOT. Where I live it is pretty flat, so I assumed the race would also be flat. Oh well. I'm still very happy with my time considering, and extremely pleased that I finished the whole thing!

I'm planning on also running a 5k on December 11th (x-mas race!) and then after that I'm going to do one of those bridge to 10k programs!

Everyone on this board that is still working toward week 9 of c25k -- you can do it! Don't doubt yourself, you're capable of way more then you think!! :)

CutieCourt
12-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Wrote a big ol spill about what's been going on and the Internet ate it. Long story short: I'm re-doing week 3! How's everyone else doing?

coffeebean267
12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm in the midst of finals and trying to fit in week 5! I think it may be a few days before I'm back on the treadmill!

Slim CB
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
W5d3.......complete!!!!!! I feel awesome!!!!!

augeremt
12-09-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm starting back at W5D3 (3' jog 1' walk x 8) after a two-week hiatus, so we'll see how that goes. I'd start from the beginning if I wasn't so far along. Instead, I'll go back to where I stopped and just do it slower. It's a shame I'd stopped in the first place since I'd gotten my pace so speedy and now I'm essentially almost starting over. Oh well. Such is life.

Slim CB - Great job on finishing up week 5!

CutieCourt
12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Where's everyone at these days? I will finish week 4 today and then move on to week on Wednesday! I never thought I would be able to jog 5 minutes straight! Unbelievable! I have signed up for my first 5k..so now I have a date to work towards. After finishing the 5k program..I'm going to start a half marathon training program! Pretty excited!

Not going to lie I was scared to move to week 4 but blew right through it! Week 5 is even scarier! But I've been considering that the halfway point since the beginning. I've also dropped some weight ( which is why we are here right? Lol) and got some underarmor heat pants and a band to keep my ears warm.

I live in Texas so it doesn't get THAT cold, no snow or anything, but the wind was blowing..it felt like 30 degrees outside and I was wearing summer running clothes!

For all that has asked about Nike + - it is amazing! I cannot run without it. The challenges they offer on the website are very motivational and your goal is to move up levels. whenever you look at your pace it shows the different intervals you run and what your pace was at that moment! You can also add friends on there and see their mileage too. The sensor goes in the bottom of my shoe and connects wirelessly to my phone (iphone4) beforehand I was using a iPod touch 2nd generation and it works the same way. It also tracks your distance, time, and current pace. It also shows all my previous workouts with distance and date. Tracks my calories burned too (which is my fav bc im a calorie counter..make it easy to subtract my workout in loseit!)

I love it and would recommend it to anyone. If you do have an iPod touch or iphone 4, you just need the sensor which runs about 17 bucks, don't buy the kit! Hope this helps!!!!

Transporter
12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
hey quick question.. do you guys use the treadmill? and if you do what speed do you jog at ? and what week should i start? I usually jog until i cant anymore where i briefly walk for a minute then go back to jogging, i can usually jog about 5 minutes straight then walk for a minute, i can maintain this for about 20 minutes

PlumBlossom
12-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Hello - just introducing myself. I am new to 3FatChicks but have been doing C25K for several weeks. I am doing w5d3 tomorrow and really nervous about the 20 minute run. Well, maybe skeptical is more the word for it. I did not enjoy the two 8' runs from w5d2 and this seems like a big jump to me.

Anyway, wanted to say hi. I have the c25k app for my iphone and will move right into the "bridge to 10k" app after... have a half marathon on the calendar in June 2011! (All the while I am thinking "what the **** did I get myself into!")

CutieCourt
12-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey plumblossum! Welcome! I use my iPhone with the c25k app too! It's awesome! I also use Loseit! To track calories and Nike + to track my distance/pace and all that jazz! How is the bridge to 10k? Thought about downloading it after I "graduate" from c25k! I'm restarting W5 today bc I didn't get a chance to run over my break. How did w5.d3 go? I'm curious to see if the 20 min run is a huge jump or If it's do-able.

Hows everyone else doing out thrre? Hope all is well and that the holidays treated everyone good!

PlumBlossom
12-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Nice to meet you CutieCourt! I am happy, no... I am THRILLED to report that I completed w5d3. Wow - 20 minute was tough but, much to my delight, I did make it. While I am proud, it was definitely tough! I am happy to go back to walk/run intervals for the next run, though. I know that it will be short-lived and I'll be doing 25 minute on Sunday.

I downloaded the B210K last week because I wanted to look at the program... looks tough but I imagine it's doable. Has lots of good feedback so I figured it's best just to have it there and ready to go. I am happy to post the program if you want to take a look at it and see if it is for you.

So, are you doing your 20 min run this weekend, then?

PlumBlossom
12-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Just a quick update... did w6d1 today... man was it hard. I think I have a touch of a cold so I believe that is why it seemed so hard but it was, well... TORTURE. I am proud that I did it but GEESH!