Atkins - Day one!

View Full Version : Day one!

luckie13luv
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I've done Atkins before, and lost a good amount of wieght. But I always get lazy and want sweets, so I cheat then never go back on it. Now I want to change!! I'm newlywed, and wished I had the motivation to lose the wieght before I was married. Now my goal is to just start being healthy for my husband, and to enjoy our life together. I want to look good for him, and wear some of those clothes I have deep in my closet.

I started phase 1 today. I have a lot of weight to lose, so I will probably be in the first phase for a long time. I need support and accountability, so that is why I am posting. It is too easy for me to eat stuff I am not supposed to, but I really want to make a change from now on. Hoping it will get easier. Just need to STAY STRONG!

Anyone have any good snack ideas? I'm a snacker.

SilverLife
09-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Luckie, welcome! :) Are you doing the '72 Induction?

sandyfanny
09-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Welcome, Luckie! Consider joining our 30 Pounds by Christmas challenge thread...you're not too late to jump in for motivation and support. There are many of us who're basically on Induction for a long time...you aren't alone for sure.

Check Linda's Low Carb site for great snacks...many induction friendly. Here's the link: http://genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Also, check the Low Carb forum "Recipes" section for lots of good snack ideas and sweeties.

I love sweets too...but I don't love sugar and flour more than I want to lose this weight. So, I'm an Atkins dessert girl! A word of caution: You may not want to use packaged Atkins products - particularly the "sweets" and "candy." They stall lots of us.

See JerseyGyrl's posts for great information on sugar alcohols - they're evil. Good luck! Post with us often...

luckie13luv
09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and information. I definately need it! I'm reading the most current book, so I guess that's the one I'm following. I've done the old Atkins too, but I'm going to follow the new book more.

I will look into join the 30 lbs for Christmas, it would be a great way to lead into the new year. :)

sandyfanny
09-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Great! If you want to join our challenge, all you need is a big, old dose of WANT TO! We'd be happy to have you.

readyfreddy
09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Yay me too! I lost 20 lbs about 10 years ago. Gained 10 over the years then gained 20 in the past 1.5 years when I started a sedentary job.

I'm on day two and I was in mild ketosis today!

I am aiming to lose 30 by New years!

ghost girl
09-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Welcome Lucky13 and Readdy freddy

SilverLife
09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Readyfreddy, welcome. I really enjoy living a low-carb life. All the best to you! :)

readyfreddy
09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks Ghostgirl and Silverlife!

islandchick1
09-11-2010, 10:57 PM
:welcome: to 3FC!
Some of the things I use for a snack if I need them are :
1) pork rinds with my homemade salsa
2) deviled eggs
3) cheese
4) cream cheese
5) beef jerky
Hope this helps :)
Hugs and support on your weight loss journey :flow1:

-Judy

fatmad
09-12-2010, 10:15 AM
welcome in, I also have a long way to go, but a long time to get there. We can do it!

luckie13luv
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks islandchick for the snack ideas!!

Its been so long since I've done Atkins, I've forgotten some of those types of snacks that still make me feel normal. haha.

Day 2 was HORRIBLE for me!!!! I got real nauseous and even lost my lunch (and dinner) a few times. I read on someone else's post about it being detoxing from carbs, possibly. I believe it, so I wasn't scared. When I did the diet years ago, I was NEVER ill and I'm so upset that it made feel so bad. I tried Medifast a few months ago (my husband is doing it) and got sick as well, so I stopped. I just thought there was something I might be allergic to in the food. Now I can see that not having carbs was a shock to my body. Makes me not want to cheat, because I dont want to go through that again.

I am feeling better today, but taking it easy still on what I'm eating. Just some eggs and a little cheese. Hopefully it will get better.

Thanks for all of the greatings! So glad to be here!! I know I'll need the support! In the next few months I have my wedding anniversary, a friends wedding, husband's birthday, my birthday, and then Thanksgivig follows soon after. Its going to be tough! But especially after feeling so sick I need to be strong and get through it!

Thanks! :)

fatmad
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
lucky, depending on foods you are eating on induction, I think the amount of fat may be part of it too. Even if we are used to eating a higher fat diet, we don't usually eat it in this way, without a lot of carbs to sop it up. Takes a little getting used to. but worth it in the end

SilverLife
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Luckie, am sending you lots of good thoughts. I found the first few days the hardest. Then they got ever so much easier, and then they became very nice days!

ghost girl
09-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Hang in there Luckie it will get better, and its so worth it.

fatBgone07
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Welcome Lucky! I too felt very nauseous at first. Look at this as a good thing- it will help keep you on program because going off and going through this again is probably not something you want to do. Just push through it!

luckie13luv
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, FatBgone! I was thinking that too. I don't think I'll cheat if it means I have to "detox" like that again!!

Day 4 and I'm feeling much better! Stomach is still a little sensitive, so I'm not pushing it with too much grease or anything crazy. But at least I feel like a Human again! I'm determined that this is going to be a LIFE STYLE change for me and my husband. Just gotta do it!

Kyrren
09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm so excited to find your post and see that the Low Carb life is still active!

Today is Day one I am restarting! I started about 5 weeks ago and got through 2 weeks of induction and then threw it all away.

This time I am determined to go everything all the way! I got up early exercised and have been watching my carbs all day. I like to make sure that I have exercise incorporated in my weight loss. Is everyone else doing the exercise as well? :carrot: :carrot:

luckie13luv
09-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Kyrren, Way to go to come back and do it again! I hope you have a good weightloss journey and stick with it!!

I need to do excersise, but I haven't yet. Its real hard for me to be motivated to do it alone. My husband and I are going to start something soon, even if its just walking.

I'm in ketosis, so that is EXCITING! My husband is on Medifast, so we bought those ketone sticks to test for him as well. I'm just excited because it was really PURPLE!! Yay! It definately makes me excited to know that my body is now working for me!

sandyfanny
09-13-2010, 05:21 PM
You're doing great, and I'm glad you feel better. I've been doing Atkins for about six weeks, and I still feel a little queasy sometimes. I'm sure it's from the fat intake, but it goes away and I don't care.

Remember: No amount of feeling queasy is nearly as dangerous or exhausting to your body as the dozens of pounds of extra weight we carry every second of every day. Cowgirl up, Luckie, you can do it!

And walk around the block by yourself if you have to. Every day. Then walk an extra half a block or an extra "house" if you have to. Adopt a dog and walk with your baby. Dogs love it and never complain, whine or procrastinate. And they don't care what you wear or how your thighs look.:wave:

DandyDiva
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I did the atkins 3years ago and lost bout 60 pounds. Then I met my husband fell in love started relaxing and gaining it all back. Now i'm married and back where I started three years ago. I got my atkins book and keto strips, a fridge full of meat and im ready to go. :D

luckie13luv
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Yay DandyDiva! Welcome! Good luck on your journey!!

ghost girl
09-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Welcome Kyyren.

Kyrren
09-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My day 2! Exercised yesterday and today. The baby (5 mo old) is very cranky today. I think it is stuffy nose and sinus drainage, so added stressor and trying to stay away from comfort foods. Luckily I don't think there are any in the house :) .

Zaftig Mama
09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey luckie, I am on day 2 and I feel your pain. Last night I had wicked heartburn and just a basic uneasy tummy! YUCK! Today I wanted sooooooooo badly to eat the biscuits my kids were eating, I didn't.

I want to lose about 70lbs over all, I think so I have a long way to go also.

Good luck to you.

marielenrdz
09-22-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm back as well. Had a horrible week of carb binging and decided I needed to detox. Hope I can stick to it. I tend to give up WAY too easily. It gets so frustrating at times, especially the closer you get to goal. I know that doesn't make sense...you would think the closer you get, the harder you would push to make it. I constantly find myself sabatoging my success the closer I get. MEGA-FRUSTRATING! Sorry, for shouting, but it truly is difficult to deal with. I'm stressing too, because my birthday is Fri and a big party is being planned on Saturday with lots of food and booze....wicked carbs! Not sure how I'm gonna handle that temptation. I might have picked a bad time to start with Atkins again!!!