Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Question Ladies, I could use somebody's help. (Off Topic)

Hey ladies!
I have a paper to write for my psychology class, and I could definitely use some help! The idea of the paper is to interview somebody of a different culture, and relate it to what we're studying in psychology. Hard to believe, I don't really know anybody of a different culture than I. (Even harder to believe, and I really don't mean to sound stupid, but I don't really know what my culture is.) I mean, I know I'm part Irish, and part German, and whatever else, but my family doesn't really follow any special traditions, so it's hard for me to really pick, a culture to call myself. I'm making myself sound stupid, I know, but I'm hoping you ladies will get what I mean.

So, if anybody is part of a culture, that they would love to answer some questions about, please, please let me know. My paper is due on the 23rd, but I'm trying from now on, not to procrastinate (LOL).

Any help is much appreciated. Either reply to this thread, or shoot me a private message.

Thank you so much.

Stacey
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I had to write a similar paper. I don't think I would be a good interview subject, but I interviewed someone who had different traditions than I. You can interview someone of a different faith, or someone who has different cultural beliefs (such as those who believe women should not work, or perform tea ceremonies, etc.). Good luck on your paper!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Send it on over. I'm Italian, and very very Italian, so that could be a different culture...
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I'd advise you really try and get to know someone of a different culture too! Maybe don't stress about it while trying to get the paper done, but after that. It's a good thing to do. And lots of things can be considered culture. Not just nationality, but like she said above. Religion, traditions, disability, etc.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

If you're at a normal college, it should be overflowing with people of different nationalities.

If you're at a small college, thats not huge, go find the nearest big college, and go into any science dept. You'll be hard-pressed to find Americans there :P

And trust me, you have a culture, its American. You only don't REALIZE its a culture because you don't have any friends of different cultures to point and laugh at the goofy way you do things ^_^ You don't realize how different YOU are unless you're introduced to an outside perspective on your own culture LOL

I'm in the chem dept at my university, and I'm one of the VERY VERY few Americans in my graduate program. And my Chinese, Indian, and European friends enjoy pointing out my weird cultural habits My roommate is Chinese, and she's asked me questions before about our culture that I honestly don't have an answer to why we do things "that way". haha! Cultural traditions are often un-identifiable as "Cultural Traditions" to people who do them everyday without thinking about them or taking them for granted.

PS my mom's Italian, the food is good, the hugs are good, and the accents rock!

Last edited by boots; 09-11-2010 at 04:23 PM.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote