Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #1  
Becky

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Help! Where do I start?

Where do I start?? I am not new to 3FC, nor am I new to dieting...over and over and over. However this time around (I hate to even say it that way) but this time I feel truely overwhelmed at the prospect of trying to lose weight. I'm at my all time high weight wise and at my all time low confidence wise. I've half-heartedly been trying to eat more healthy the last couple months and yet I'm only gained weight So I figure "what the h@#% - I might as well eat what I enjoy if I'm not going to see any results!" - Then of course I binge and just feel awful. This morning I literally have NOTHING in my closet that fits me. I'm holding my pants together with a rubber band at the button and wearing a huge sweater to try and cover up my belly and gaping pants!
I've started off my morning well (mornings usually aren't the problem) I've eated some egg beaters from breakfast, I've packed an apple and salad w/chicken for lunch, also packed a few pretzels and 100 calorie pack popcorn for an emergency snack. I plan to have chicken and brocolli for supper - and I ALWAYS drink water almost never pop. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
Thanks.
momofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Becky...you've done a great thing by just posting here! At one time or another we have ALL felt exactly like you feel now. Some of us give up and some of us say no more...I want to feel great about myself again.

I am seeing a holistic nutritionist (yep...I'm into that stuff but definitely not the crunchy granola type ) She had me write a food diary for a week...and eat as you normally would do not what you "think" you should eat. Once you've done that, you will see a pattern of what your challenges are or what your body is doing as a result of your eating.

For me...sweet stuff is like crack. I can NOT eat 1 or 2 Oreos...I need to eat 7-8-10. One slice of warm fresh bread...no way...half the loaf. Also, if I don't eat every 2-3 hours, I get WICKED cravings and can polish off 500-1000 calories at one sitting. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (even though my numbers weren't "that bad" according to my conventional doctor) and an overgrowth of systemic yeast (candida). But if I didn't do that food diary, I would never have noticed (or acknowledged ) what I needed to change.

I'm sure others here will say that you have to take it one day at a time...definitely not what we want to hear! We want to lose the weight in a month or less...forgetting that in most cases, it took months or years to get it all on us! (so guilty of that!!!)

Keep posting!
Maddie
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #3  

Height: 5'

Default don't make that official "start"

I know this is going to sound stupid, but I've blown every official "start" date I've ever set - New Year's Day, Day 1 of any month, etc. I deliberately started on the 20th of August - which was a Tuesday.

I didn't "diet" either - I just tried to eat sensibly and exercise once a day. After a while, I upped the exercise.

If I go to dinner, I only eat half of it. Sometimes I can do a third. I have a piece of fruit for an afternoon snack and Yoplait's is incredibly obliging to make all those delicious "Light" flavors.

Somehow, without setting any hard and fast rules, it felt less regimented and more flexible. Some days will be good and some will be bad. Gradually, your tummy will shrink.

I started 2 months ago and I did not weigh myself - I measure with clothes to see what's going on. My 3x are finally roomy. Ideally, I'd like to wear a size 16. I started in a tight 3x.

Since it's so informal, I'm hoping it just becomes a way of life rather than a diet and exercise program. Maybe something like this would help you?

FYI, I've been a chronic dieter since I was 20 (I'm 46 now). Anyway, if any of this resonates with you, please take it and use it. If it's hopeless and gives you a headache, steer clear!
samanthaf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #4  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I've heard many people say good things about the Beck Diet Book. It is apparently not really a diet, but rather a set of principles that make any diet you choose work better. It addresses the psychological issues that keep people fat, and prevent them from keeping weight off when they lose it. There's a bulletin board at 3fatchicks just to discuss it.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

If you think of the total amount of weight that you might want to lose, then it can be very overwhelming. Try taking it in small amounts. Like losing 1 lb per week. It doesn't sound like much, but it adds up and you have to start somewhere.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #6  
Becky

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Thank you, thank you! I really appreciate the support and ideas. I am thinking I can't look at it as a "diet" so much as just eating better/trying to move more in order to take care of my body. That is so much easier said than done however.
I made it thru yesterday with only 2 real slipups, so I'm on track for today I hope. After work is what kills me, so I'm trying to think of my "plan of action" for that time of day now. Again easier said than done - what I think now when I'm now tired or stressed is soooo different than how I end up by the time I walk in the front door.
Thank you again ladies - whether you know it or not - you are my new BFF!
momofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I started where about where you are. I just started by writing what I was eating and counting the calories. It took me about 2 weeks to cut my calories and I ended up between 1400 and 1800 a day. My goal clealy was to lose, but also not gaining was a goal too. It took me a year to take off 30 lbs which I have kept off no problem ( a first for me) and now I am embarking on the last 15, I don't care if it takes me another year, I really just want to keep it off and learing how much my body burns has been key.

I do go out, I do enjoy food and I never feel like if we go for a treat that my life is over, it just may not be a losing week for me, but it is also not a gaining week either...that has been HUGE in my book.

I weigh in the morning, I tend to fluxuate 2 lbs, so I don't worry about that, but it does keep me mindful of the day ahead.

I did buy a bodybugg wich has been an invaluable tool in knowing what my coloric burn is every day. I also love that with the bodybugg each day is a new day but I can see the trend over time too. I know that for some it is pricy and my 18 months of owning the BB has cost me about $1 a day, 200 for the bug and 12 a month for subscripton for the year after my 1st 6 months. If you use it, it is well worth the price of admission. In the end it has been less expencive than WW and I have learned so much more about food (maybe it is my age too and not looking for the quick fix)

Anyway, welcome back, you can do this because you are worth it!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/229/209

Height: 5'6

Becky,

I have the same problem. I can be so good all day long. It's the evenings after dinner and a stressful day at the office are the hardest times for me too. I can cook a wonderful filling dinner and then subconciously something snaps and then the cycle begins... something salty and something sweet.

One thing that has helped me in the last couple of days is steering away from the pantry and doing a hobby (you can start a blog, keep a journal, scrapbook, excercise or even read). The goal is to keep your hands and head busy so your not thinking about food.

Good Luck keep your head held high and take it one step at a time.

:-)
Carol
11 more days until I get my ticker! WoooHOOO!
cgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #9  
Tee

S/C/G: 172/172/107

Height: 5'2"

I started on the Ideal Protein diet and it has been easy. I am 43 w/ a 3 1/2 Year old son a daughter w/special needs and hubby. I work 50+ hrs a week, have a payroll business on the side and am taking a college coarse. I am so stinking busy I don't have time to organize my meals properly away from home. IP is quick, high in protein, low in carbs/calories and keeps me satisfied. Thank goodness for that Easy Button!!

Good luck in what ever you choose, just remember you are worth every pound that comes off!!
paygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I think the best thing about tackling this at age 40+ is that you can reflect back on previous attempts and can pinpoint the things that work for you. Combine all those into your current plan (foods that satisfy you, exercise you'll actually do, behaviours that will trip you up). Don't expect the same results at 40+ that you had at 20+, but it WILL happen. I started this project at age 49.

Last edited by caryesings; 09-14-2010 at 08:44 AM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Definitely find a form of exercise that you enjoy, can physically do and can fit into your schedule. I feel doing this a huge part of my success this (read: LAST) time around.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote